Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
At the moment, I'm going straight for A: 4 votes: Iron Shod Staff. Tough, immensely variable, and we've already got a bit of a start on it. That being said, I am tempted towards short spear, javelin or sling in a way, as we're pretty good with spear fishing/throwing, and we could probably wrangle quite the talent, when combined with our eyesight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

SerSpook posted:

So, I want to tell the merchant that Ishamal said I have good eyes, better than most. When the minotaurs attacked the city two years before I could make out details of the banners from the King's home.

But I'm thinking medium spear or the club personally. But he might make a strong recommendation for the sling if he knows of our eyesight.

Agamemnon takes a few small stones and tosses them against a wall at the end of the courtyard. He tells you to count them, which you do so, successfully. Eight tiny pebbles.

"Hmmm" he says "maybe. We can always use more folks who can really aim a sling or a javelin in the city, but they are useless in a standup, close fight. You aren't crazy enough to go off monster hunting, right? A few folks are crazy enough to use a javelin like a short spear if they have to, but its a great way to get gutted, its even shorter. No one outside of the Old Tales uses a sling to fight up close."

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Medium spear is a reasonable choice for how I expect us to fight in the future.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Medium spear is a reasonable choice for how I expect us to fight in the future.

Yup, this.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
5. 4 x C I like this reasoning.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Staff won't be of help against monsters :colbert:

eta: Besides, we're a pretty big guy and I think we're gonna be pretty buff with all the combat training (though not as buff as we could be). And wood breaks. I'd rather not risk that.

eta2: Nevermind.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
What are you talking about :ninja:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am limited to an iPad at the moment and generally too stupid to modify the google docs spread sheet. If someone can modify it I am doing research much of the weekend and can take a shot at maintaining it.

Thinking about weapons:

"You say that you would recommend the long spear? Why is that?

"If we learn the sling it sounds as if we would want a close up weapon as well. Is that impossible."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Staff won't be of help against monsters :colbert:

eta: Besides, we're a pretty big guy and I think we're gonna be pretty buff with all the combat training (though not as buff as we could be). And wood breaks. I'd rather not risk that.

Agamemnon groans as you inquire about using the staff on monsters. "Why am I wasting my time on another would be hero? You go monster hunting and you'll be food for the crows and the jackals. The staff aint bad against man sized monsters, but useless against bigger ones and you can't throw it. Not bad against shorter weapons either and good for parrying weapons with."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

"You say that you would recommend the long spear? Why is that?
"When else are you going to be fighting? If we go to war again, men break out the long spears."

Sogol posted:

"If we learn the sling it sounds as if we would want a close up weapon as well. Is that impossible."
"Using a sling up close is suicide boy. Don't go off with heroes dreams like those lunatics at that harlot's temple. You aren't in the line of Labaras, so you won't be doing anything fancy with a sling. Not that it don't come in handy. Most men don't favor them, but we always need men who can do some hurt down the field."

It should be abundantly clear by now that Agamemnon has made his assessment of each weapon based on when he thinks you will actually really need to know how to use a weapon, in war with another city. You have seen how bands of roaming monsters get handled and he seems dismissive of the idea that you would possibly go adventuring, a profession he has made clear he believes to be suicidal.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 21, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Which is why the medium spear is perfect since it will work pretty well in a combat formation and if we get into an individual fight.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
"It's not just monster hunting or we would be at the Temple. We do feel the wanderlust of Zepath sometimes though. What would you say is the best weapon or combination for travelng if we find the Sandal takes us?"

Edit: ok... Read the above. He is teaching us to be a sojer, which is not bad since he will maybe focus on surviving.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

Agamemnon groans as you inquire about using the staff on monsters. "Why am I wasting my time on another would be hero? You go monster hunting and you'll be food for the crows and the jackals. The staff aint bad against man sized monsters, but useless against bigger ones and you can't throw it. Not bad against shorter weapons either and good for parrying weapons with."

I'm with this guy, in a way: namely, if we're fighting any monsters of really prodigeous size or strength, then it doesn't matter what weapon we have, we'll likely be approaching them in unique ways, using the environment and our brains, or, possibly, our somehow, someday, enhanced limb-ripping-off strength.

So the staff is the best :colbert:.

Long spear's a no-go, we want something that's easily portable, and can defend us in a variety of situations, as we travel the land as a solitary explorer, not something that's for us in large-scale military combat. Plus you can use a staff like a walking stick.

So the staff is the best :colbert:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

"It's not just monster hunting or we would be at the Temple. We do feel the wanderlust of Zepath sometimes though. What would you say is the best weapon or combination for travelng if we find the Sandal takes us?"

Edit: ok... Read the above. He is teaching us to be a sojer, which is not bad since he will maybe focus on surviving.

"Than you probably want the medium spear. And other men with you. Even an average sized minotaur is going to demolish you alone, it'll take a spear and keep charging. It might bleed out. An hour later. After you are already a stain on it's hooves. A dozen men with shields and spears have much better odds of taking it down without losing anyone.

Staff comes in plenty handy as well though, you can parry blades with it in a way you can't easily with a spear. The might crack a big bulls skull with it.

You look like you might have the strength behind your arms for a club or an axe.

Definitely not a sling, definitely not javelins."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 21, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Hmm...is bow and arrow an option?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Theglavwen posted:

So the staff is the best :colbert:

A medium spear is a staff with a pointy end. :v:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

Hmm...is bow and arrow an option?

"Not with me, but I have a friend who can show you if you like. You have the eyes for it."

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Question 1: Is a bow a weapon we can learn? How is a bow different from a sling? Pros vs Cons? All I know is that apparently bows take a lot of strength and are hard to learn.

Question 2: So we can see things that are really far away. Can we see things that are moving quickly? Can the this guy test that for us real quick? Make a gesture really fast, or show us something really fast and we will tell him what it was.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

"Not with me, but I have a friend who can show you if you like. You have the eyes for it."

Oh!

I vote bow!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Diogines posted:

Hm... Focus on learning how to use a medium spear (3 points), but learn the basics of the bow (1 point) so that we have a base we can work from. Besides, it will be a lot easier to have an adventurous lifestyle if we have a ranged weapon for hunting.

Changed.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 21, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1. Gx4. How is this even a question. :black101:

Apparently, it is. Changing my vote to the bow. (4xM)

Question for Diogines.

Is this guy's cap fashionable in Zepath, or does the picture only serve to illustrate the spear and is the soldier from a different time and place altogether?

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 22, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zybourne Clock posted:

Is this guy's cap fashionable in Zepath, or does the picture only serve to illustrate the spear and is the soldier from a different time and place altogether?

It's a Macedonian phalangite holding a sarissa, if I'm not mistaken.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sorry for doubleposting, but a question for Dio:

Can we grab each weapon and try to see if holding one of them feels right?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

1. Fx4. How this even a question. :black101:

Question for Diogines.

The man is not dressed anything remotely like what the men of Zepath wear, but damned if that is not a good spear picture!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

my dad posted:

You can. Do you do so?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ok... I am just going to hose up the spread sheet if I try to change it using this. Can someone with an actual comp either add columns for Question #5 Weapons or make a separate one for that. As a bonus, you could insert a row below the totals with a formula to would take the Column Total/(voters*4) expressed as a percentage (if docs can do that).

Personally I don't mind being eccentric and feel the maul or a heavy axe could be fun and get us all buff due to weight.

Shod staff because we have a head start (also distinctive particularly if we combine it with sling).

And short spear is of course probably the most practical and versatile.

So in short... I dunno yet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Diogines posted:

You can. Do you do so?

Sure, why not.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

my dad posted:

Yes! I vote for this!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Question 1: Is a bow a weapon we can learn? How is a bow different from a sling? Pros vs Cons? All I know is that apparently bows take a lot of strength and are hard to learn.
"The distance is longer and it is more accurate. Sling stones are easy to find or to make, arrows, take effort. Bows are not simple and take a great deal of dedication to use right. But a good bowman will never starve. It is not a weapon for casual use."

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Question 2: So we can see things that are really far away. Can we see things that are moving quickly? Can the this guy test that for us real quick? Make a gesture really fast, or show us something really fast and we will tell him what it was.
If you can see things moving any quicker than anyone else, or slower, or the same as everyone else, you have been unable to tell. If you can, it is not at all obvious.

Edited in bows as an option.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

You can. Do you do so?

Yes. Holding off on my weapon-preference vote for the moment.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I withdraw my vote for weapon training. Let's see where operation "Grab and see" takes us.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -