Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jscolon2.0 posted:

There hasn't been a right guy to end the streak since Legend Killer Randy Orton.
Hire Flair, have him end the streak, then Randy comes to collect on his back taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Did Linda Hunt ever do voiceovers for WWE? There's a creepy female voiceover on some PPVs from a few years back by someone who sounds suspiciously like Management from Carnivale.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What was the aftermath of The Shockmaster crashing through the wall segment? Did they even attempt to salvage it?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

What was the aftermath of The Shockmaster crashing through the wall segment? Did they even attempt to salvage it?

He basically was immediately made a joke character who flopped and was off screen within a year.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Has anybody ever been DQ'ed in a Royal Rumble match? What's the kayfabe reason why somebody doesn't just bring in a steel chair and whirlwind everybody in the ring with it?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I want to say they DQed Finlay in a Rumble for using his shillelagh.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Castomira posted:

Has anybody ever been DQ'ed in a Royal Rumble match? What's the kayfabe reason why somebody doesn't just bring in a steel chair and whirlwind everybody in the ring with it?

They tried that in 2001. Kane killed everyone.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Castomira posted:

Raven in the 2001 Rumble did bring in a load of weapons. Tommy Dreamer in the 2003 rumble too, and he nailed Jericho with a kendo stick and gave him a sick-looking welt on the bridge of his nose.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone tried buying any WWE Blu-Rays from England? Are they region locked?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

There was a rumble where the entire hardcore division was hitting each other with weapons because Royal Rumbles make up rules all the time.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

DeathChicken posted:

I want to say they DQed Finlay in a Rumble for using his shillelagh.

I thought he was DQed for "jumping the gun" so to speak. Wasn't Hornswoggle being tossed around and he came out to save him and they DQed him for coming out before his number was called? Something like that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

Has anyone tried buying any WWE Blu-Rays from England? Are they region locked?
From some random-rear end forum:

quote:

Q. Will Blu-ray product be region free?
A. Following further discussion we have been advised that the Blu-Rays will be coded B and C, we apologise for any misunderstanding.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=6805294

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

NienNunb posted:

His character was immediately changed from "whatever the gently caress the Shockmaster was supposed to be" to "guy in a construction outfit" IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkjmU9hp1Fo

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 24, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It is said that KOTR wasn't a Pay-Per-View draw. My question is, how has Payback/Fatal Four/Capitol Carnage/Extreme Rules/Badd Blodd/random June PPV performed in its stead? A direct comparison may not work, but how about a June PPV buyrate relative to May/July? I'd imagine the April-SummerSlam period would always be kind of down, but that's a completely uneducated guess on my part.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is Renee Paquette/Young the only announcer/personality who had to change her name coming into the company?

Apparently Michael Cole's real name is Michael Coulthard so I guess he counts? Or did he go by Michael Cole when he was a reporter before the WWE.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well obviously wrestlers and managers have, but to me it seems that they're especially gung-ho about owning your name if they're giving you a prominent role or if you don't have some kind of pedigree, so to speak, attached to your name already that they'd want to leverage.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And then they had Kris Kristofferson's kid on the roster and changed his name to Frankie McBlowhard or something like that.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

jalopybrown posted:

Brother after that botched tombstone in '72 the only way Hogans working with 'taker again is if it's a squash.

I'm assuming this is a reference to their match at Survivor Series where 'Taker tombstone'd Hogan onto a chair and Hogan later claimed it seriously messed up his neck.

I've heard that 'Taker felt really bad when he learned about Hogan's (bullshit) injury until someone showed him footage of the match and he saw that Hogan's head never even touched the chair, and now he just hates Hogan. Any truth to this part of the story?
http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showtopic=18897

Also, while looking up that stuff, I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Undertaker#Debut_and_various_feuds_.281990.E2.80.931994.29
"Sometime in 1990, Calaway was cast as a bounty hunter in the movie Suburban Commando, alongside WWF Champion Hulk Hogan. Hogan had seen Calaway wrestling for WCW and offered to bring him over to the WWF. Having just left WCW, Calaway accepted. Hogan introduced Calaway to Vince McMahon, who gave him the gimmick of The Undertaker, based on a mortician from old Western movies.[19]"

The citation is a book by the Hulkster himself. Is it safe to assume that this is just more bullshit lies from Hogan?

Halloween Jack posted:

I had always thought that Lewis' finisher was indeed a rear naked choke. If the "side headlock" you're talking about is the move he uses to finish this match with Dick Shikat, in judo that's a tight kesa-gatame, commonly called a scarf hold.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if I got my information wrong on that one. There's only so much information on wrestling from 60+ years ago, so my info mainly comes from old newspaper articles and ancient videos where I can't tell the wrestlers apart.

Halloween Jack posted:

By the by, I doubt there were any illegal holds at the time. That was kinda the point of catch wrestling, and the "slam bang Western action wrestling" that the Gold Dust Trio wanted to promote. Banned moves were generally either a manner of storyline (the dreaded clawhold!) or a backstage concern (piledrivers are too dangerous dude).

I dunno, I'm just going by what I find. I'm seeing plenty of old papers talk about "illegal" stuff, but I don't know if they were part of a storyline like you said.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ZwVRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QL4MAAAAIBAJ&pg=3618,658057&dq=pro+wrestling+lock+create&hl=en
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kRc_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=Ok8MAAAAIBAJ&pg=1699,361435&dq=pro+wrestling+illegal&hl=en
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=U7BWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=aOgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6418,2356717&dq=pro+wrestling+illegal&hl=en

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Taker debuted in WWE at Survivor Series in 1990 and Suburban Commando came out almost exactly a year later (October 1991). The dates sorta match up as they would've done the casting for SC in 1990 but I don't believe for a minute that Hogan scouted Taker.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nick_326 posted:

I'm assuming this is a reference to their match at Survivor Series where 'Taker tombstone'd Hogan onto a chair and Hogan later claimed it seriously messed up his neck.

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I just have to say that this show was very important to my life as a wrestling fan. It was the first PPV I ever saw and my brother and I cried when The Undertaker did that to Hogan. That's when our parents told us that wrestling is fake.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nick_326 posted:

I've heard that 'Taker felt really bad when he learned about Hogan's (bullshit) injury until someone showed him footage of the match and he saw that Hogan's head never even touched the chair, and now he just hates Hogan. Any truth to this part of the story?
http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showtopic=18897

This is my second-favourite Hogan lie, because that's possibly the safest Tombstone Taker has EVER performed. Honest to god, watch it, there's no point where Hogan's head comes within 9-10" of the ground during the tombstone.

My #1 favourite Hogan lie was claiming he fought in PRIDE against Taker in the 70s. Despite two major issues with this story. Taker being born in 1965, making him, at MOST, 15, and PRIDE not being established until 1997.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nick_326 posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if I got my information wrong on that one. There's only so much information on wrestling from 60+ years ago, so my info mainly comes from old newspaper articles and ancient videos where I can't tell the wrestlers apart.
Yeah, I would kill to know what some of these "Japanese leg locks" are.
These are amazing finds, especially the last one. "Illegal hammerlock heart blow," indeed! I didn't realize that even when Ox Baker did it, the heart punch was just reviving an old gimmick.

This is really great work; I believe very few people are doing this kind of research on wrestling. The only advice I can give is to say that wrestling got a lot of coverage in the Boston sports pages in the 1930s. They were doing "masked mystery wrestler gunning for the babyface" and "guy gets married in the ring" angles way back when.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Question inspired by theme music chat previously:

What PPV/event did the following guys debut their theme music?

-Hogan with Real American
-HHH with My Time
-Christian with the the original Just Close Your Eyes
-Bikertaker with You're Gonna Pay

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I made a semi-serious joke last WM season that in a year Bryan would wrestle Taker at WM30, so I'll just stick with that prediction because it doesn't see as THAT far off base as it did last April. It would also easily produce the best match Taker could have with someone on the card. Realistically though, it's going to be Cena and Taker.

Also, last week I posted that in the grand scheme of things, Hulkster didn't seem that like bad of a guy compared to others in the industry. I did quite a bit of reading over the weekend from a variety of sources (old Observers, various wrestler biographies and books, and some of the OSW podcasts)....yeah, I was wrong so I'll admit it. He sounds like he was a good enough dude during the heyday of his 80's run, but once his star power started to fade he turned into quite a shitheel. From Wrestlemania 8 through the WCW era he was a huge prick that did anything to keep himself in the spotlight. Hell, I'd argue that the biggest screwing of Harts career was probably by Hogan and the whole mess of Mania 9 through the non-existent passing of the torch at Summerslam. Montreal obviously was bad, but it made Bret white-hot and is the most talked about match in wrestling history. Wrestlemania 9 made Bret look like a total jobber and Hogan's refusal to work with him later to drop the belt was a big insult. Reading about that whole 3-4 month period is fascinating because of how desperate Hulk (as well as Vince) were. That could've very well sabotaged his whole career.

I'm the biggest Hart mark in the world and I can tell you as a match Bret v Hogan in 1993 would've been terrible. WWE can't do face v face at the best of times but imagine them trying to main event with it in 1993?!

Hogan submitting to the sharpshooter would've been iconic though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How do puro moves that use English words get their names? Stuff like blue thunder driver/fire thunder driver, emerald flowsion, falcon arrow, etc. Is it just weird translation?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

anakha posted:

Question inspired by theme music chat previously:

What PPV/event did the following guys debut their theme music?

-Bikertaker with You're Gonna Pay
The first version without lyrics debuted at the show where heel BikerTaker beat Hogan for the title. It made the whole moment feel strange, because it was so low-key for Undertaker music and no one had heard it before.

They had the remixed version with lyrics shortly afterward but I forget where exactly it first showed up. "Baaaaaadasses, always kickin' rear end!"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hogan with Real American was...WM2, I think? I know that at WM1 he was still using Eye of the Tiger, and they dub it over on any rereleases.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Which is the best thread to compile the best Owen Hart stories? It certainly wouldn't be the carnies/rear end in a top hat thread.

Is that thread-worthy?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

Which is the best thread to compile the best Owen Hart stories? It certainly wouldn't be the carnies/rear end in a top hat thread.

Is that thread-worthy?

Make a thread for non rear end in a top hat wrestling stories. I mean I am sure it will end up being mostly Andre and Owen stories but it might be worth to have them all in one place.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

Make a thread for non rear end in a top hat wrestling stories. I mean I am sure it will end up being mostly Andre and Owen stories but it might be worth to have them all in one place.

Didn't we already have that thread? I could have sworn we did.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Didn't we already have that thread? I could have sworn we did.

I think people wanted to start one but it had the same result as that last post - it'd be Owen, Foley, and maybe a couple of others before the thread would end.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

At least we'd get the story of 10 year old Mark Henry falling over the barricade at a show trying to touch Andre the Giant, so Andre picked him up with one hand, put him back and patted him on the head.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think people wanted to start one but it had the same result as that last post - it'd be Owen, Foley, and maybe a couple of others before the thread would end.

Maybe we'll get more of these with the various wrestling podcasts out there.

I finally got around to the Bret Hart episode of Austin's show, and I laughed pretty hard at the Reg Park story. Park was an ex-bodybuilder who used to design title belts, and got to know Stu Hart and the Hart family somewhat, but while he was physically impressive, he wasn't any sort of wrestler or tough guy. Stu knew Park, but had only met him a few times. So Owen calls Stu and Bret's hotel room, posing as Park - Bret picks up, but doesn't realize it's Owen, and passes the phone to Stu. Owen, as Park, chats with Stu for a few minutes, and eventually goes: "Why didn't you ever let me have a try at you?", implying he would've liked to challenge Stu in the dungeon. Stu is caught off guard, but asks why Park never brought it up before, with Park responding he would've liked to have a shot at him, but Stu would never do it. Owen spends the next 15 minutes goading Stu over the phone, to the point where a very old Stu Hart is about to rip the phone out of the wall. Just as Stu's about to explode, Owen goes: "It's me, Owen, dad - I'm just pulling your leg.", and hangs up.

Stu just sits down, completely flabbergasted, and tells a confused Bret: "It was that drat Owen. He got me."

That's also in Bret's book, but there appear to be tons of 'Owen stories' around the 'net - but how do you know if they're real or BS? I read one about Owen tossing knives/lingerie/pictures of his junk into Lex Luger's luggage, getting him stopped at airport security. That sounds funny, but kind of over the top - and I question stuff like that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That story doesn't seem so outrageous to me? Maybe I'm just desensitized to the hosed up stuff that happens in *this business*

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Minidust posted:

The first version without lyrics debuted at the show where heel BikerTaker beat Hogan for the title. It made the whole moment feel strange, because it was so low-key for Undertaker music and no one had heard it before.

They had the remixed version with lyrics shortly afterward but I forget where exactly it first showed up. "Baaaaaadasses, always kickin' rear end!"

I could be wrong, but the plain bass line only version was at the PPV (which I want to say is either SummerSlam or Survivor Series), then they changed it to the "proper" instrumental the next night on Raw. No idea on the lyrical version though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red posted:

That's also in Bret's book, but there appear to be tons of 'Owen stories' around the 'net - but how do you know if they're real or BS? I read one about Owen tossing knives/lingerie/pictures of his junk into Lex Luger's luggage, getting him stopped at airport security. That sounds funny, but kind of over the top - and I question stuff like that.

I remember Foley saying in his first book that Owen would do things like pull the handbrake on peoples' cars while they were driving. That was written right after he died, so it's probably not a case of a real story growing into a fantastical legend. I have no idea if every single Owen story is true, but I have no reason to doubt that his pranks could go too far sometimes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

That story doesn't seem so outrageous to me? Maybe I'm just desensitized to the hosed up stuff that happens in *this business*

Yeah, but Owen Hart is usually on the level of "pants Jim Ross while he's in the pool, and throw his swim trunks away, stranding J.R. in the pool".

Then again, I wouldn't have believed the story about all of the (WWF) wrestlers making a habit of going to Harley Race's house for a big BBQ dinner when they visit Kansas City. So when everyone is drinking or somewhere else, Owen dumps a ton of hot sauce into a pot of chili. Predictably, everyone gets wiped out by the hot sauce. Harley Race responds with a stun gun. :stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Preposterous. Why would Harley Race hit somebody with Austin's lovely old finisher?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
When did the phone hotlines end up getting phased out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
1-900 hotlines and the Internet basically had inverse trajectories.