Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have iFunBox you can back up and restore save files (or make copies by renaming them) to retry egg rolls and the fights to get them and honestly if anyone's thinking of restarting to try for a better roll on that first free gold egg, just save time and do this instead.

Is there any way to know when the egg roll is going to happen, or do I need to just be backing poo poo up constantly? 'Cause that could get old.

Mmm egg roll

e. Okay I saved before getting a silver egg, booted up ifunbox and loaded the save into all three slots, rolled the loving roulette thing roughly 50 times all up, and I haven't been able to nail the timing even once. :smith:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

motherbox posted:

Anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics since the update went out in June? Did they fix the slowdown issues? Also, if anyone has any experience playing it on a phone, I'd love to hear how readable/playable it is with a smaller screen.
Echoing the above, the slowdown issues are "fixed" for all intents and purposes. I've been playing it for dozens of hours on a 4S and it has been very readable for a while now (a couple of updates ago) and very playable since the slowdown fix. I find the interface is really well-done. Difficulties with selecting units are helped if you switch to the 360 degree rotation mode when terrain is getting in your way, but 80% of the time the default legacy "4 angle spin" will be fine once you find your sweet spot in terms of zoom level.

Out of all of my iOS games, in terms of hours returned on price, it's the best by far.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

concerned mom posted:

Just as a heads up to anyone who doesn't know. The CoC clan is called Crusader Kings, hit us up for an invite.

I dont have enough trophies to join your clan.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Corridor posted:

Is there any way to know when the egg roll is going to happen, or do I need to just be backing poo poo up constantly? 'Cause that could get old.

Mmm egg roll

e. Okay I saved before getting a silver egg, booted up ifunbox and loaded the save into all three slots, rolled the loving roulette thing roughly 50 times all up, and I haven't been able to nail the timing even once. :smith:

Your post got me playing dragon island blue again. I found some rare monster named "Bon" that wasn't in the game when I played. I check out what it evolves into and :stare: ifirit a 9.5 star monsters. The only other ways to get a monster of that many stars is basically beat game the game and get every single dragon 2 times or get a combine reciepe in the last dungeon. Basically it is the uber noko.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Kenny Logins posted:

Echoing the above, the slowdown issues are "fixed" for all intents and purposes. I've been playing it for dozens of hours on a 4S and it has been very readable for a while now (a couple of updates ago) and very playable since the slowdown fix. I find the interface is really well-done. Difficulties with selecting units are helped if you switch to the 360 degree rotation mode when terrain is getting in your way, but 80% of the time the default legacy "4 angle spin" will be fine once you find your sweet spot in terms of zoom level.

Out of all of my iOS games, in terms of hours returned on price, it's the best by far.

I agree entirely with this. It's not perfect, but it's a great enough game to overlook the niggling control issues. You'll work around them almost automatically by the end.

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Tower of Fortune went free to celebrate the release of its sequel.

Saw this earlier and downloaded it. It's pretty fun, but kind of frustrating at times. Are there any major changes to the sequel?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm playing Pocket Trains and there is an exclamation point on one of my cities. What does this mean? I tried upgrading the capacity, but it's still there.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

obi_ant posted:

I'm playing Pocket Trains and there is an exclamation point on one of my cities. What does this mean? I tried upgrading the capacity, but it's still there.

I believe it means that the city is the one involved in the daily quest.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yep, that's it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks! I will be grinding those daily quests then.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Overall, I've enjoyed IB3. It's been the least grindy of the three (and dear lord the reminder of how bad IB1 was is a surprise) and the most impressive visually (a feat in a series of beauties). God help me, I've even gotten reading the books (I really should have seen the dark tower similarity coming).

But I still haven't a clue how to access clashmob on it.
Have they not made it available yet or what?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Sad lions posted:

Overall, I've enjoyed IB3. It's been the least grindy of the three (and dear lord the reminder of how bad IB1 was is a surprise) and the most impressive visually (a feat in a series of beauties). God help me, I've even gotten reading the books (I really should have seen the dark tower similarity coming).

But I still haven't a clue how to access clashmob on it.
Have they not made it available yet or what?

Doesn't seem like ClashMobs or the other stuff (Trials) are available yet. :(

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

Doesn't seem like ClashMobs or the other stuff (Trials) are available yet. :(

I did one trial that crashed my game. And I had one cash mob that was parry 5-10-15 times in 60 seconds for 500-1000-1500 gold.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

Soulex posted:

I dont have enough trophies to join your clan.

I don't either. I'm stuck at the 900-1000 range right now because I just started a few weeks ago.

Could the trophy limit be lowered?

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

I also play Clash of Clans. Here's my base and I'm kinda bad at the game.

I'd post in a CoC thread if there was one, and I'd appreciate anybody helping me get out of the 1600 trophy range with better attack strategies.

You don't want trophies. The amount of gold that people have is only slightly higher between 1400 and 2000 and a hell of a lot easier to grab at 1400. Plus you won't get constantly thrashed by high level armies.

At the 1400 level I recommend mass minions/balloons. Completely crushes anyone with low level wizard towers.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Anyone playing this new Reaper: Tale of a Pale Swordsman game? I like how the story is all dark and serious and WAR IS HELL and there's a bit where a soldier gets his legs torn to shreds and if you return him to his camp you get yelled at to "put a bullet in that bloody mess, morale is bad enough already", but the graphics are utterly adorable and you are the cutest wittle spectre of death ever. The controls are alright, bit hard to manage but I suspect that's my lack of skill rather than the game.

What bugs me is the gold collection. When you bust open a chest (or kill an enemy), gold bursts absolutely all over the place and starts bouncing wildly in both directions. When it reaches the edge of the screen, it goes through and is gone forever. The gold bounces pretty fast, so when you're chasing it you just have to pick a direction and run with it, while everything in the other direction is lost. This means you'll only ever get half of what's in any given chest. Probably less, since the gold actually moves faster than you do, so unless you've got a few power skulls to dash with, your little dude is just left waddling desperately after the gold jellybeans which bounce juuust out of reach.

I'm hoping there's a magnet upgrade at some point or that poo poo is going to get annoying real fast.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Also does anyone have opinions about the Minoraxis game Exitium?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 24, 2013

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

If you poke around a bit on the Epic forums, they announce somewhere that they are working on the whole clashmob thing and it will be available soon-ish. Also, pro-tip for making money in IB3: if you are full up on potion ingredients (20) those ingredients become gold pickups in the world. If you are full on all the common ingredients, you will pick up a ridiculous of gold in world.amount

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm looking at playing around with Heroes of Loot and Tower of Fortune 2, anyone play either yet and have a sense of how they are?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Corridor posted:

Anyone playing this new Reaper: Tale of a Pale Swordsman game? I like how the story is all dark and serious and WAR IS HELL and there's a bit where a soldier gets his legs torn to shreds and if you return him to his camp you get yelled at to "put a bullet in that bloody mess, morale is bad enough already", but the graphics are utterly adorable and you are the cutest wittle spectre of death ever. The controls are alright, bit hard to manage but I suspect that's my lack of skill rather than the game.

What bugs me is the gold collection. When you bust open a chest (or kill an enemy), gold bursts absolutely all over the place and starts bouncing wildly in both directions. When it reaches the edge of the screen, it goes through and is gone forever. The gold bounces pretty fast, so when you're chasing it you just have to pick a direction and run with it, while everything in the other direction is lost. This means you'll only ever get half of what's in any given chest. Probably less, since the gold actually moves faster than you do, so unless you've got a few power skulls to dash with, your little dude is just left waddling desperately after the gold jellybeans which bounce juuust out of reach.

I'm hoping there's a magnet upgrade at some point or that poo poo is going to get annoying real fast.

This game's alright and I'm liking the dialogue which never happens for me. But holy poo poo are you right about the gold flying everywhere, it'll literally bounce all the way out of the level. I've been trying to time it so I'm right on top of the chest when it pops and it kinda helps.

Still waiting to see why it's 'free', though.
Edit- Ok, store version is free and the full game is 2.99, 3.99 or 4.99 depending on if you want Arena and some items sets. Not bad!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 24, 2013

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Royal Scrub posted:

This game's alright and I'm liking the dialogue which never happens for me. But holy poo poo are you right about the gold flying everywhere, it'll literally bounce all the way out of the level. I've been trying to time it so I'm right on top of the chest when it pops and it kinda helps.

It's free up to level 10 on your character, then you buy 1 of 3 tiered full editions of the game via IAP ($3, $4, or $5).

At least there's no IAP currency, it's just a one-time unlock of whichever version of the game you want to buy. Some people on the TouchArcade forums are saying the full $5 version has a worthwhile additional arcadey gameplay mode that you don't get with the $3 or $4 edition.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

e ^^^ What that thar person said

The Royal Scrub posted:

There's no IAP, it just caps at a certain level and you can buy the full game for like $2-$3 or something, or buy it in a package with a bunch of extra stuff. Just hit the Upgrades option on the main menu and hit Info.

gently caress the gold though. What a terrible design concept. At least you get a fair chunk of change from quest rewards.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Corridor posted:

Anyone playing this new Reaper: Tale of a Pale Swordsman game?

Corridor posted:

Also does anyone have opinions about the Minoraxis game Exitium?

Teddybear posted:

I'm looking at playing around with Heroes of Loot and Tower of Fortune 2, anyone play either yet and have a sense of how they are?

Links links links! If someone can click through to see the game you're talking about it will help to encourage them to talk about it, where otherwise they'd have to :effort: and find it themselves. poo poo, there are so many generically named games for this terrible phone that I can barely remember most of them, but being able to see their Appshopper/iTunes entry and a few relevant screenshots will help spark my memory, and I know I'm not alone there.

vv iTunes links work, too. Just a link to the game so we can see what you're all talking about.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 24, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sorry, here's Exitium. Seems pretty RPG Maker-y but the art is nice and the story could be worse.

http://appshopper.com/games/exitium-saviors-of-vardonia

e. Can't find Reaper on Appshopper, it's kinda new. I just found it through Toucharcade

Corridor fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 24, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Corridor posted:

Sorry, here's Exitium. Seems pretty RPG Maker-y but the art is nice and the story could be worse.

http://appshopper.com/games/exitium-saviors-of-vardonia

e. Can't find Reaper on Appshopper, it's kinda new. I just found it through Toucharcade

What's new

- OpenFeint added

:stare:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Eegah posted:

What's new

- OpenFeint added

:stare:

Last update: January 2013. OpenFeint still existed "back then" but its late inclusion is still a stupid move.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a Plague Inc thread or strategy guide for getting started? I feel like I'm not opening correctly.

Is there an easy grind for unlocks?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 24, 2013

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks for the helpful info on Dragon Island Blue. I also just started it recently after someone on the thread recommended it.

I have one more question - are there situations where one attack should be used instead of another? Or is it just about balancing the power vs. time? Does magical vs. physical damage make a difference with different monsters?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Whoever asked about Heroes of Loot it's a fairly simple dungeon crawler with very little complexity, but is fun for what it is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lowly posted:

Thanks for the helpful info on Dragon Island Blue. I also just started it recently after someone on the thread recommended it.

I have one more question - are there situations where one attack should be used instead of another? Or is it just about balancing the power vs. time? Does magical vs. physical damage make a difference with different monsters?

Certain monsters have ton of defense but not much resist and some monster have the opposite. But like 85% of the time monsters have equal of both, so it doesn't matter. The dead giveaway is if the monster has a defense ability that only raises defense or resist.

As for power vs time. Most of the time the weaker attacks are more powerful per TU, so spam those. But the stronger attacks help when something is about to die but a weaker attack won't finish the job.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a Plague Inc thread or strategy guide for getting started? I feel like I'm not opening correctly.

Is there an easy grind for unlocks?

A few of the diseases are different, but for most it's best to lay low as long as possible. Symptoms give you away, so research transmission types and devolve any symptoms until you've infected everyone. It's often best to start in countries that are difficult to infect, like Greenland. Stockpile DNA, and once the whole world is infected, unleash hell.

For unlocking the mutations or whatever they're called, I found virus to be the quickest. It's odd because you play exactly the opposite from what I described above - still keep on the transmissions, but rely heavily on fast mutations to just pump the infectivity as quickly as possible. It'll fail more frequently than the slow play method, but it moves so much more quickly that you'll come out ahead in the end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Corridor posted:

Mmm egg roll

I just tapped it out at an increasing tempo until I had a rhythm that worked for me, but yeah it's a pain in the rear end. I haven't played for about a week and came back and just tried on a silver egg some and my timing's off again. It really only matters on gold eggs unless there's something really good in the silver egg (apparently Time is in silver eggs now and then at the end game, since I got his totem that way).

The only way to really know an egg is coming up is when you're about to turn in quests (some give silver/gold eggs) or you just ran in to the dragon boss fight for that particular area, and would likely have to refight it each time.

Also the coliseum, since you get a silver egg after each victory and a couple of the brackets have a gold egg reward when you clear it. When I practiced I had about 350 gold via quests/silver eggs and practiced using the reward egg and buying 1-2 with the gold. Saving the gold you get from quests here and there should let it amass pretty well by the mid/later areas and if you check the shop you might have some 50% off gold egg offers. Being able to buy 2-4 of those ones on sale when you feel you've got a better handle on the timing might pay off as well.

Shwqa posted:

Your post got me playing dragon island blue again. I found some rare monster named "Bon" that wasn't in the game when I played. I check out what it evolves into and :stare: ifirit a 9.5 star monsters. The only other ways to get a monster of that many stars is basically beat game the game and get every single dragon 2 times or get a combine reciepe in the last dungeon. Basically it is the uber noko.

Ifrit shows up as a roll in eggs sometimes. I haven't got Bon yet (I'm on his bracket, 2 fights to go) but I got Ifrit from a roll. Also a Wedigo and Snowman, both of which hit hard as hell and Wedigo has a double-edged attack that does 4-6k to stuff but deals a portion back to him. It's nice for those "here's 3 enemies with 20k hp" fights.

Still not as nice as using your blademaster/dark crawlers to farm a bunch of low level enemies so that they have a nice +1000% or so damage to their kill-strengthened move. gently caress you, Shenron. :black101:

Also ninjas evolve in to Goemon at 80-something and they're 9 star face wreckers as well. Those turtles that love to suicide bomb players also have another evolution putting them to an 8.5 star tank, however if you're going to throw out stuff to take hits there are better options (metal kings). Another monster that was added in their last batch was that Penguin King turns in to Don Penguini which has a hit all that is very strong when he's by himself(1000% dmg increase, only 70TUs to use), but otherwise isn't too great. His real highlight is that his +100% to humanoids attack is called Luca Brasi. :haw:

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
Hey, so Tower of Fortune is pretty fun for a mostly mindless game. It's basically an RPG, except everything (i.e. fighting, looting and hanging out at the tavern) is handled through a slot machine. If you give it a try, a few things you should know:

(a) You can totally time the wheel. Your setup is random for each new monster, but if you're lucky enough to get most of your swords in a row you can tap a bit before they show up. The second time I tried this, I ended up getting a 4-combo of attacks, with each roll being at least a 2-match. (The first time I got three skulls twice in a row, totally owning myself.)

(b) You can tap each slot to stop them separately.

(c) You get new equipment by beating the boss of each area. You can fight the boss multiple times for more equipment, but he'll be harder each time. If (like me) your first few choices of equipment were kinda lovely, go back to the easiest areas and grind the bosses there for more equipment.

It's good enough to make me consider the sequel, which looks like it really improves on every aspect of this one.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

opaopa13 posted:

Hey, so Tower of Fortune is pretty fun for a mostly mindless game. It's basically an RPG, except everything (i.e. fighting, looting and hanging out at the tavern) is handled through a slot machine. If you give it a try, a few things you should know:

(a) You can totally time the wheel. Your setup is random for each new monster, but if you're lucky enough to get most of your swords in a row you can tap a bit before they show up. The second time I tried this, I ended up getting a 4-combo of attacks, with each roll being at least a 2-match. (The first time I got three skulls twice in a row, totally owning myself.)

(b) You can tap each slot to stop them separately.

(c) You get new equipment by beating the boss of each area. You can fight the boss multiple times for more equipment, but he'll be harder each time. If (like me) your first few choices of equipment were kinda lovely, go back to the easiest areas and grind the bosses there for more equipment.

It's good enough to make me consider the sequel, which looks like it really improves on every aspect of this one.

I had a bit of fun with it but remember to stock potions. Game's got permadeath, you lose everything when you die.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I had a bit of fun with it but remember to stock potions. Game's got permadeath, you lose everything when you die.

That's good to know!

For everyone else, potions cost 500 gold and are used automatically when you hit 0 HP. You can also run from a fight at any time, unless you're paralyzed (which is rare: I think I've encountered two enemies total that can paralyze you). This is on top of the enemy only attacking when you spin a skull. So permadeath should be avoidable.

Also, (d), you can scroll down in the item shop, which means there's totally a cure for paralysis. Arg! I wish I knew that when I was fighting that boss with regenerate.

I've just unlocked the next-to-last area (I think), but I'm disappointed with how little gold I'm getting per fight. That you can fail to break even is pretty lame. Has anyone actually finished the game?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I've heard good things about the Kairosoft games, but it's really unclear to me which one to get. I like the basic idea of managing a little operation, but I'd like something beyond that as well. I'm just not sure which one has the coolest gimmick. Any suggestions?

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Heroes of Loot is ugly boring garbage that's barely a game. I was under the impression that it was a dual stick shooter but it's not (you just move with one stick while it auto aims). Don't be like me and light two dollars on fire because you saw the TouchArcade Review

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Yarrington posted:

Heroes of Loot is ugly boring garbage that's barely a game. I was under the impression that it was a dual stick shooter but it's not (you just move with one stick while it auto aims). Don't be like me and light two dollars on fire because you saw the TouchArcade Review

Aren't dedicated mobile game review joints generally garbage? I'm genuinely asking because I've owned an iPhone all of a week.

Speaking of that, what games should I try if I'm after proper rear end games, not time management f2p garbage? I hesitate to use the term but I guess "core games" are what I want. I'm also extremely cheap so I guess anything free to $5 or so would be what I'm after.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

cat doter posted:

Aren't dedicated mobile game review joints generally garbage? I'm genuinely asking because I've owned an iPhone all of a week.

Speaking of that, what games should I try if I'm after proper rear end games, not time management f2p garbage? I hesitate to use the term but I guess "core games" are what I want. I'm also extremely cheap so I guess anything free to $5 or so would be what I'm after.

My personal go-to for app reviews is the Appspy youtube channel.
They tend to give fair and honest reviews and lean to toward the 'if you like x, you'll enjoy y' style of review over the 'This is objectively good/bad' method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

For "core" games I would recommend XCOM ($20) and The Walking Dead (first episode free, $5 per episide 2 - 5) on iOS. However, I generally find that console experiences are best left to consoles. The best games for smartphones tend to blend mobile experiences with some "core" features while still taking advantage of the unique controls of a touchscreen.

My favorites:

Cook, Serve, Delicious ($5)
The Room (I think .99, maybe free)
10000000 ($2.99)

• Locked thread