Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlgoRhythmic
Mar 9, 2013

zetsubous posted:

Actually, I'm assuming the Japanese is "ano hito," which actually means "that person," but I also assume Oren knows what's coming well enough to know that there should be a male pronoun there.

What, why would you assume that.

I can't say I'm 100% sure I remember correctly, but I'm fairly sure they used the word "kare" and not what you are assuming out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Oh god where's slowbeef when you need him.

It looks like Kuzuryuu is the first character with good odds to be involved in more then one murder. I wonder if he's going to borrow Chihiro's "I gotta man up" theme for the next round of murder.

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

AlgoRhythmic posted:

I can't say I'm 100% sure I remember correctly, but I'm fairly sure they used the word "kare" and not what you are assuming out of nowhere.

Because I live in Japan and know how the language works and the extremely typical way to refer to a third person not in the immediate area is "ano hito." I'm actually having trouble thinking of a reason that someone would say "kare" unless they were making a point about the object being male or a relational reference (like "your boyfriend").

The post below this one is correct.

zetsubous fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 26, 2013

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

AlgoRhythmic posted:

I think zetsubous is saying that orenronen, having played the game, knows who Monobear is referring to, so his decision to use a male pronoun there could be taken as a sign that said individual is male (whereas the original Japanese left it ambiguous).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

zetsubous posted:

He doesn't actually say Naegi's name, though. He just says "him." Actually, I'm assuming the Japanese is "ano hito," which actually means "that person," but I also assume Oren knows what's coming well enough to know that there should be a male pronoun there.

I try not to reveal gender prematurely when the game doesn't. Monobear uses "kare" in Japanese, which does mean "him".

Edit: Proof! (Please don't comment on how our translation isn't 100% literal. We know. It's deliberate.)

orenronen fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 26, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

orenronen posted:

Edit: Proof! (Please don't comment on how our translation isn't 100% literal. We know. It's deliberate.)

Does anyone translate Japanese to English strictly literally? Besides spergy fansubbers and people on shoestring budgets, anyway? I've always gotten the impression that Japanese and English are too far removed for a straight, no frills, X=Y translation to work in any halfway graceful sense, even without accounting for cultural references that get lost on western audiences.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Does anyone translate Japanese to English strictly literally? Besides spergy fansubbers and people on shoestring budgets, anyway? I've always gotten the impression that Japanese and English are too far removed for a straight, no frills, X=Y translation to work in any halfway graceful sense, even without accounting for cultural references that get lost on western audiences.

Could you suggest an alternative that doesn't require our translators to take this as a full time job?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

It depends on what you're translating. Not just the work as a whole, but the specific thing you're translating within that work. There's no real 100% surefire rule for translation - some things require being fairly literal, like textbooks or reports on finances or whatever, and some things require a loose grip and a lot of reworking/editing, like dialogue.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Could you suggest an alternative that doesn't require our translators to take this as a full time job?

You saw where orenronen just two posts above you said that it isn't a strictly literal translation, right? And all the posts both he and Fedule have made about the work they put into cleaning it up and localizing it for the LP?

AlgoRhythmic
Mar 9, 2013

Alien Arcana posted:

I think zetsubous is saying that orenronen, having played the game, knows who Monobear is referring to, so his decision to use a male pronoun there could be taken as a sign that said individual is male (whereas the original Japanese left it ambiguous).

Yes, thank you, I understood that the first time I read his post. That's exactly the part that I'm finding stupid about his analysis, because there is no reason to believe the original was ambiguous.

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

AlgoRhythmic posted:

Yes, thank you, I understood that the first time I read his post. That's exactly the part that I'm finding stupid about his analysis, because there is no reason to believe the original was ambiguous.

1: Female.

2: It wasn't much of an "analysis" since I concluded that the "him" in question was definitely a "him" either way, dude. Sperging on my sperging doesn't get you anywhere.

3: It looks like I was wrong either way, which I accept, but which is interesting to me since that is unusually specific for dialogue like that.

4: The ultimate point I was making is that I think we're jumping to conclusions by assuming that DR2 is definitely set after DR1, and I still think that's true. "Him" is probably Naegi, but not necessarily -- there are at least five possible "him"s in DR Zero so far, for example, one of whom (Izuru) hasn't been met yet. The "what, again?" line is also probably referring to Syo but as another poster said, it could be semi-concurrent, or could be referring to the fact that Syo is on campus at the time. Or it could be a meta joke.

I'm just saying, the thread keeps going to these places where people are like "shut up about Junkos it's not Junkos already" and "omg how could it be ninja Pekoyama that's so stupid" and then it, you know, is, so I personally am keeping an open mind until the evidence becomes more conclusive than two ambiguous lines of dialogue. I'm not saying it's not sequential, I'm just saying we shouldn't say we have proof on that yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ramos posted:

What Orenronen and Fedule are doing, for one. Remember DULL START? That is a textbook example of the difference between a competent localization and a dry translation. The latter typically doesn't work very well!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It's been a while, but here we are with book 2 of DR/Zero! I recommend reminding yourselves what had gone on before in book 1 before proceeding. Here's a good summary courtesy of Falls Down Stairs.

“Yasuke-kun.”

“What do you want?”

“Hey, Yasuke-kun.”

“I said, what do you want?”

“Why are you angry?”

“Can’t you tell? I spent all day looking for the culprit! If you destroyed it yourself you should’ve said so from the beginning! Why did you tell such a stupid lie?!”

“I didn’t tell a lie... I just... didn’t say anything.”

“That’s the same! Why would you do that?!”

“Because... you never leave your house anymore, Yasuke-kun...”

“...Huh?”

“I built that sand church for you, Yasuke-kun, but you never came to see it. It was all for nothing...”

“That’s none of your business...”

“...Yasuke-kun, why were you hiding?”

“Shut up.”

“Was it because... you didn’t want anyone to see you cry?”

“I’m going to hit you!”

“You wouldn’t hit a girl, Yasuke-kun.”

“An ugly girl with bad personality like you is a different matter!”

“Y...You can’t make me cry...”

“But you want to, don’t you!”

“I won’t cry! It’s you who really wants to cry, isn’t it!”

“W...What are you talking about? I don’t want to cry...!”

“Why are you pretending to be so tough?”

“I’m not pretending anything...!”

“You don’t have to put on a mask in front of me... I mean, I’m an ugly girl with a bad personality, so there’s nothing for you to worry about.”

“............”

“Besides, if I saw you cry... I think I’d like you even more, Yasuke-kun.”

“T...That’s gross...”

“Who cares if it’s gross? I’ve already decided. From now on, even if you keep trying to hide, I’ll always be by your side. There’s nowhere left for you to hide, Yasuke-kun.”

“You sound like a stalker.”

“I’m not a stalker. I’m your girlfriend.”

“Since when? Don’t just decide that by yourself.”

“I’m your girlfriend, so I’ll always be with you. Even when you’re sad.”

“I’m not... I’m not sad.”

“You’re pretending to be tough again.”

“I’m not! I’m not sad at all!”

“Yasuke-kun...”

“She didn’t know who I was, even at the very end! They made her think I was some kid she didn’t know! They said I couldn’t even call her ‘mom’, so she wouldn’t get scared! I had to pretend I didn’t know who she was the entire time! Why should I cry for someone like her?! Now that she’s dead, I’m free! I don’t have to go on with this stupid game anymore!”

“But, she was sick...”

“Are you saying it was inevitable? I’m sick of hearing that! That’s what the doctors always said! They said that even though they’re doctors! If they were really doctors, they should’ve fixed her head...!”

“...I’m sure they were just bad doctors.”

“Hmph... If I was a doctor, I’d be able to cure that kind of sickness in no time...”

“...Are you crying?”

“I told you, I’m not crying!”

“...It’s okay. I will never forget you, Yasuke-kun.”

“What...? Don’t say weird things all of a sudden...”

“It’s not weird. It’s the truth. Even if I forget everything else, I’ll never ever forget you, Yasuke-kun.”

“And what if... you do?”

“If I do, you’ll fix me. When you’re a doctor, you’ll be able to cure me in no time.”

“You... have a point...”

“Also, if you forget who I am, I’ll just have to remind you! But, even if you can’t remember me, I’ll always be with you! We’re going to be together our entire lives!”

“...You really do sound like a stalker.”

“We’ll always be together, right? So... you don’t have to be embarrassed. If you want to cry, go ahead and cry.”

“You’re... strange.”

“Heh heh heh. Have you given up?”

“...You won’t make fun of me?”

“I won’t make fun of you.”

“...You won’t try to console me?

“I won’t try to console you.”

“...You won’t tell anyone?”

“I don’t have any friends.”

“Neither do I... And now I don’t have a family anymore, either.”

Yasuke Matsuda cried in front of another person for the first time in his life.

Hope’s Peak Academy’s east quarter, the staff building.

Two sets of footsteps echoed throughout the unpopular fourth floor. One was the school doctor, leading the way. The other was Super High-school Level Neurologist Yasuke Matsuda, following. Matsuda’s face, hidden in shadow, was tinged with grim determination. He was painfully aware of his shirt - dirty, as usual, but carefully tucked into his pants, and covered by a jacket. It made him feel uncomfortable.

“...I have to say, you really are saving us.”

Matsuda, who had been looking determinedly at the floor, raised his head.

“His condition’s very much outside my field of expertise... I didn’t really know how best to treat him. It is reassuring that you’re here to help now.”

His voice was full of relief, but Matsuda answered coldly and bluntly.

“The best thing to do would have been to bring in an expert. But since you couldn’t do that, you decided to ask me instead... Isn’t that so?”

“T...That’s...” The doctor was at a loss for words. Matsuda couldn’t see his expression, but he could easily imagine it.

-- That was a little bit too much.

He took a deep breath to calm himself down. “...It’s fine. I don’t intend to make excuses just because I’m a student. In fact, I can probably be of more help than any expert you can get.”

“I...Is that so? That’s great, then.”

The doctor was relieved, but Matsuda was getting more and more agitated. Trying to maintain his self control, he kept repeating the same words inside his head.

-- Whatever happens, there’s no turning back now.
-- I have to keep moving forward. I have someone who needs my protection.
-- No, not ‘moving forward’... Perhaps ‘falling down’ is more fitting...

They rounded a corner, and in an instant the atmosphere changed completely. The corridor past the corner was unnaturally quiet, and the temperature of the air seemed to be lower. On one side, the windows were covered with heavy curtains. Many doors were lined up on the opposite side, each with a window tinted black. The corridor stretched as far as Matsuda could see. He had never imagined such a place existed in the staff building.

“...Usually, these rooms are all empty,” the doctor offered. He must’ve been aware of the questions in Matsuda’s head.

-- In other words, these are rooms for emergency situations.

Matsuda followed in silence, looking around the corridor, when the doctor suddenly stopped.

“...It’s here.” He pointed at one of the doors. It bore no identifying marks, and Matsuda had no idea how he could tell it apart from the others. “The equipment you asked for is already inside... Are you sure you want to go in alone? The headmaster asked me to accompany you, but...”

“I’ll be fine,” Matsuda answered curtly.

“No, it’s just that...” The doctor seemed a bit at a loss.

“The headmaster and the steering committee gave me full authority, and I assume that includes making this decision. Besides, two people aren’t necessarily better than one. It may even have a negative effect on the patient. So, please, let me handle it alone.”

The doctor’s expression remained sullen, but he finally gave up and nodded obediently. “...Fine. Well, go ahead, then.” The doctor turned to walk away, and soon disappeared around the corner. After making sure he was gone, Matsuda turned back toward the door and opened it slowly.

A dimly-lit room waited on the other side. The first thing Matsuda noticed were the various electronic devices cramped in the middle of the room. They were as good as any hospital or research lab could afford.

-- As expected from Hope’s Peak Academy.

Matsuda couldn’t help but be impressed. Nevertheless, he soon pulled himself together and stepped into the room. The fluorescent lights on the ceiling weren’t as strong as the ones in the academy’s classrooms, and with the room’s sole window covered by thick curtains, there just wasn’t enough light. It made the LEDs radiating from the machinery even more prominent.

In the center of the room stood a single bed, tightly enclosed by the machine’s lights. Matsuda’s eyes turned to look at it. A man was lying there.

Matsuda stepped slowly to the side of the bed, and looked down at the man. His facial features were shallow. It was a clean and honest face, much like that of a young warrior in a Samurai film. What caught Matsuda’s eye, however, were the bandages wrapped around his head.

Matsuda knew this man. His name was Soushun Murasame, and he had presided over Hope’s Peak Academy’s student council. And now, the “Super High-school Level Student Council President” was the sole survivor of the Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History.

His eyes were wide open but unresponsive. They simply pointed toward the ceiling, unblinking, unseeing.

“...It’s been a while.” Matsuda tried speaking, but there was no answer. He picked up the chart that was left for him next to the bed. All that was printed on it was the information he had already heard.

“Upon his involvement in “The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History”, Soushun Murasame suffered severe injuries to his head. Fortunately, these injuries didn’t prove fatal, and it was expected he would soon recover. However, several weeks have passed, and he still displays no signs of regaining consciousness. The reasons for this remain unclear.

Matsuda returned the chart to its place, and tried speaking again. “Do you know who I am? I’m Yasuke Matsuda. We’re in the same class. They call me a Super High-school Level Neurologist. We’ve met many times.”

There was no answer. Nevertheless, Matsuda continued. “Do you know why I’m here?” He sat next to the bed and looked hard at Murasame’s face, trying not to miss any tiny reaction or change in his patient. “The headmaster and the steering committee asked me to come here. They want me to help with your recovery. They want to hear what you have to say about the incident... though what they’re after isn’t really to clarify what happened. Just the opposite, in fact. They want to hear your story so they can cover it up.” Matsuda took a big breath, then continued slowly, emphasizing his next words. “But maybe that, too, is just for appearances’ sake.”

Murasame did not react at all, but Matsuda continued. “Here’s what I think. I think you coming back is not going to be convenient for them. That’s probably why they got me here to help. If I can’t bring you back, it gives them a pretense to claim they did everything they could. Having the one person who knows everything gone -- that’s probably the best outcome, as far as they’re concerned. But, what if I do manage to wake you up? That would be a bit of a bother for them, wouldn’t it? I wonder what they’d do... They’d be backed into a corner... How far would they go...?”

As he spoke, Matsuda picked up Murasame’s right hand, raised it, and then let it drop. The hand simply fell back on top of the bed, lifeless. “Nevertheless, I’m not sure I really get it... Why are they going so far with their cover-up that they’d forsake their own student council president... It must have something to do with the incident’s culprit, mustn’t it?”

Suddenly, Matsuda leaned forward. He brought his face so close to Murasame’s that an outside observer might have thought they’d bump into each other. Then, he looked deep into Murasame’s eyes.

“So, what do you think? You know who the culprit is, don’t you? How about telling me? Why is the school being so persistent?”

There was no response. Murasame’s face remained frozen.

“Well, it was worth a try...” Matsuda turned away in irritation. “I guess I should give you a proper check-up now,” he whispered sullenly, scratching his head. “Oh, that’s right,” he added unaffectedly, as if suddenly remembering something. “I almost forgot. Does the name Junko Enoshima ring any bells?”

Murasame’s eyes twitched. Soon, he was staring at Matsuda, an angry expression on his face.

Contrary to expectation, Matsuda relaxed.

-- As I thought.

In a way, he was almost disappointed.

-- It would be so much easier if he’d just stayed unconscious.

But, unfortunately, he hadn’t. A part of Matsuda always expected that to happen, of course. He was prepared for it. He had nowhere to go but down, after all. It was as if this was his fate all along. A cursed fate he couldn’t escape.

He knew there was no way he could go back. Whatever it was that was helping him remain standing finally gave way, and he felt his spirit falling straight into hell.

It wasn’t a figure of speech or an illusion. He was only too aware of that.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 26, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Just what I've been waiting for, more of DR Zero! I know people have said the light novel is clunky, but the translation quality is very good, and I don't think the source material is bad at all. It's just been limited at times because the character most of it has been narrated by so far is an amnesiac with a narrow focus on Matsuda.

This update is very interesting. Firstly, the fact that Ryouko remembers Matsuda is now very touching in light of his history, and it throws doubt upon whether Matsuda would really want Ryouko to not regain the rest of her memory. Some of his actions before made it seem as if perhaps his real goal was not to help her memory the way he claimed but to stop it returning. It's hard to imagine Matsuda doing that after this chapter.

Another thing is that Matsuda says that Soushun Murasame is in the same class as him, but that can't mean that the class affected by the Worst Incident is Matsuda's, surely? Matsuda is in the 77th class, as is Kamishiro. I don't think it's possible. Unless, perhaps, the class that disappeared wasn't a class per se but was a Student Council consisting of people from multiple classes, which would mean that Murasame could be from the 77th class without the same being true of all of the Student Council members. It was implied before that the Student Council were the ones affected by the incident, because the rumour Junko started was that fourteen of the Student Council had gone to study overseas.

Now we know, Junko must at least have been directly involved in, if not the cause of, the Worst Incident in the first place. It makes some sense that she would be involved directly rather than just happening to find about an incident that had already occurred.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

orenronen posted:

It's been a while, but here we are with book 2 of DR/Zero! I recommend reminding yourselves what had gone on before in book 1 before proceeding. In fact, if someone can point me to that excellent summary that was posted who knows how many pages ago, I'd be happy to put a link to it right here.

Since I was the one who wrote it in the first place and so it was in my post history, here you go.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Van Dine posted:

Another thing is that Matsuda says that Soushun Murasame is in the same class as him, but that can't mean that the class affected by the Worst Incident is Matsuda's, surely? Matsuda is in the 77th class, as is Kamishiro. I don't think it's possible. Unless, perhaps, the class that disappeared wasn't a class per se but was a Student Council consisting of people from multiple classes, which would mean that Murasame could be from the 77th class without the same being true of all of the Student Council members. It was implied before that the Student Council were the ones affected by the incident, because the rumour Junko started was that fourteen of the Student Council had gone to study overseas.

Now we know, Junko must at least have been directly involved in, if not the cause of, the Worst Incident in the first place. It makes some sense that she would be involved directly rather than just happening to find about an incident that had already occurred.

Actually, the rumor was that 15 students disappeared and that 13 were later found dead. The facts are that one month prior to Junko spreading the rumor 14 members of the student council were called to an overseas facility, the Steering committee makes definitive mention of 13 victims and 2 survivors from the incident, Izuru Kamukura is definitively claimed to be the culprit by the Steering committee and Kirigiri, the school board is protecting Izuru Kamukura but the Headmaster believes they are making a mistake, Junko wants to kill Izuru Kamukura because he's a symbol of hope, and that Junko claims Ryouko is somehow involved in the incident as well.

Izuru's treatment by the schoolboard and the fact Junko wants to kill him makes me think Junko and Izuru were either working together and had a falling-out, they had clashing agendas to begin with, Izuru was a culprit completely unintentionally, or he was framed so convincingly it fooled the entire school board as well as Kirigiri. It's also probably worth noting that while Izuru is claimed to be the 'culprit' of the incident it has never once been mentioned that he killed or harmed anyone, which is unusual for an incident involving 13 deaths. It's also unusual that even among those who know Izuru is the culprit, these 13 deaths have never been called murders. Since Soushun had to be present in order to be a survivor of the incident, only one other person could have been physically present at the incident provided Junko's rumor is true.

So who was the 15th person present at the incident: Junko, Ryouko, or Izuru? While Junko is the strongest candidate of the three at first glance, there is one last logical inconsistency in the whole matter. Chapter 4 makes mention of the student who discovered the incident, which provokes an unusual reaction from Matsuda. That aside, if 14 student council members went to an overseas facility, 15 students total were rumored to go, 13 were found dead, 1 student is comatose, and 1 student disappeared after the incident, how did someone discover the scene at the overseas facility? Being overseas, it's not like someone could have just stumbled upon it, and the 15 students who went are all accounted for. The student who disappeared cannot be the student who discovered the scene as Matsuda interrogated the student who discovered the scene and by his choice of words to the Steering committee implied that said person is still under his care, and the comatose student cannot be the student who discovered the scene as the Steering committee called Matsuda to have him investigate said student after the student who discovered the scene had been interrogated. This adds one extra student to the 15 we already have.

This leaves four options; both Junko's rumor and the Steering committee are wrong and more than 15 students went, the school sent one or more students after sending the student council that nobody else knows about or has mentioned yet and only one of those students managed to find the incident, the incident is unrelated to the student council going overseas and took place somewhere more accessible, or there were students at the overseas facility before the student council ever arrived.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I know this might have been answered before but is there any plans to release the first volume of zero as a ebook for later reading or are we waiting for all the volumes to be finished?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know, I'd hate to read a translation of The Pillow Book or Genji Monogatari that wasn't obsessively literal and accompanied by extensive scholarly footnotes. It's just as foreign to modern Japanese readers as it is to English readers and trying to localize would ruin the Heian Period feel.

Just saying, there's sometimes reasons for leaving things as literal as they can be, even if it disrupts the flow.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Patter Song posted:

I don't know, I'd hate to read a translation of The Pillow Book or Genji Monogatari that wasn't obsessively literal and accompanied by extensive scholarly footnotes. It's just as foreign to modern Japanese readers as it is to English readers and trying to localize would ruin the Heian Period feel.

Just saying, there's sometimes reasons for leaving things as literal as they can be, even if it disrupts the flow.

Fair enough - although I'd say classical literature exists in a somewhat different context from Dangan Ronpa or Persona or something similar.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
I don't think classical literature should count since Ancient Japanese would need footnotes even in Japanese. Just like we do with Shakespeare.

Also I liked this DR Zero update, I feel like the mystery is becoming more interesting, especially as we're learning more about DR2.

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009
Is the summary for DR Zero linked above not up to date? In Falls Down Stairs summary its mentioned nothing is known about this Izuro person, including gender, but everyone seems to be referring to the character as a he. Should I go back and reread bits of the story that FDS didn't cover in the summary, or are people just using male pronouns for convenience? It's been long enough that I don't remember all the details about DR Zero, but I don't really want to read the whole thing over to keep up with the current chapters.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

saihate posted:

I don't think classical literature should count since Ancient Japanese would need footnotes even in Japanese. Just like we do with Shakespeare.

Also I liked this DR Zero update, I feel like the mystery is becoming more interesting, especially as we're learning more about DR2.

In 500 years someone is going to be reading tumblr posts about Dangan Ronpa in a history book and the footnotes are going to be explaining 'lol' and 'Junkos'.

I keep vacillating between enjoying DR2 and being a underwhelmed by it. I think the first execution in DR1 was the most visceral for me and since then the others have been a bit of a let down. I'm much more interested in the mystery behind everything now and really wish they would give us bigger bits to ruminate over in the background. Or a bit more interpersonal exposition between characters and about characters during trials. Feels a bit flimsy so far on that front. I really wasn't bothered about who the murderer was in the two trials so far.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I actually couldn't care less about the overall plot of Dangan Ronpa because honestly it's kind of stupid. I feel like the character interaction in 2's been a lot better than in 1, partially because the deaths aren't nearly as front-loaded so far and there are a lot more people to interact with each other. Also because Komaeda wasn't in 1 and he rules. The actual murder mystery aspect of the game has also been much more entertaining so far, since the first case was an actual mystery instead of 11037 and the second one was pretty good too.

Honestly it'll probably just turn out to be Junko again.

Kudzu
Jan 12, 2013
Hey for those who don't know, a Super Dangan Ronpa 2 anime is confirmed, in the last episode of the first game's anime that came out today, Monomi had a quick easter egg and said something like "I can't wait to see you!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I hope people don't use that as license to spoil. :smith:

Anyway, I should take this time to catch up on DR0. I wonder what kind of shenanigans Junko will be up to this time.

lambj3
Dec 29, 2012
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, although I have been keeping up with the thread. Since people have been speculating about the timeline: spoiler

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 27, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

I actually couldn't care less about the overall plot of Dangan Ronpa because honestly it's kind of stupid. I feel like the character interaction in 2's been a lot better than in 1, partially because the deaths aren't nearly as front-loaded so far and there are a lot more people to interact with each other. Also because Komaeda wasn't in 1 and he rules. The actual murder mystery aspect of the game has also been much more entertaining so far, since the first case was an actual mystery instead of 11037 and the second one was pretty good too.

Honestly it'll probably just turn out to be Junko again.

Don't forgot about the trials either. The characters seem much more alive now that they can properly interject and object to what the protagonist is saying. And Hinata, too. I wasn't too bothered by Naegi when Oren was actively LPing DR1, but its hard not to compare him to Hinata now, and he's comes up short.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

mangoman321 posted:

Is the summary for DR Zero linked above not up to date? In Falls Down Stairs summary its mentioned nothing is known about this Izuro person, including gender, but everyone seems to be referring to the character as a he. Should I go back and reread bits of the story that FDS didn't cover in the summary, or are people just using male pronouns for convenience? It's been long enough that I don't remember all the details about DR Zero, but I don't really want to read the whole thing over to keep up with the current chapters.

I covered the whole volume 1 in my summary- people are using male pronouns just because.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GrizzlyCow posted:

Don't forgot about the trials either. The characters seem much more alive now that they can properly interject and object to what the protagonist is saying. And Hinata, too. I wasn't too bothered by Naegi when Oren was actively LPing DR1, but its hard not to compare him to Hinata now, and he's comes up short.

It's less that Naegi comes up short, but more along the lines of him being a somewhat boring and perfect protagonist.

He was able to successfully solve every trial with little help from his supporting cast and without there being any kind of twist, like the one with Peko here.

Hinata's cast is much more active and it's shown that Hinata can't do it all, making him a bit better rounded.

Phelim
Mar 18, 2009

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

I know this might have been answered before but is there any plans to release the first volume of zero as a ebook for later reading or are we waiting for all the volumes to be finished?

For what it's worth I have already compiled the first volume into an ebook that I shared with Oren. I am now doing the same with volume two. I was considering just combining the two when volume two has been fully translated and offering that up instead of two separate files. Oren mentioned that providing copies in various formats (.mobi, .epub, etc.) might be a good idea. I did the first volume as .mobi, I think, but it's easily enough converted with a program like Calibre.

Edit: I can't remember, though, if I said I'd hold off on sharing with everyone. I would have to check my email. I also have no knowledge if anyone else has been working on this.

Phelim fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 27, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lethemonster posted:

I think the first execution in DR1 was the most visceral for me and since then the others have been a bit of a let down.

I'm kind of in agreement with the rest of your post, but this bit I had to disagree with. Leon's was one of the worse executions to be sure, but Kirigiri's was harder to watch, hands down. Even if we're only counting executions that really happened, Peko's was really bad as well. Those sounds when the Monoarmy was stabbing her apart, and the blood spraying everywhere...No thank you.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kudzu posted:

Hey for those who don't know, spoiler
I don't really see why you feel the need to put this under a spoiler tag, but whatever. Anyways nothing is actually confirmed officially. No formal announcement has been given, so it's more of hook than any confirmation. Kind of like how a ton of bad movies make sequel hooks at the end and of course a sequel never happens because the first movie sucked. Whether or not a sequel will happen depends on dvd sales and merchandise profits.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 27, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

lambj3 posted:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, although I have been keeping up with the thread.

As opposed to the DR2 anime possibility, this is a real spoiler. Which the OP says you shouldn't post, not even with a spoiler tag.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's less that Naegi comes up short, but more along the lines of him being a somewhat boring and perfect protagonist.

He was able to successfully solve every trial with little help from his supporting cast and without there being any kind of twist, like the one with Peko here.

Hinata's cast is much more active and it's shown that Hinata can't do it all, making him a bit better rounded.

I kind of both agree and disagree with this. Naegi's supporting cast was way less involved, but Togami and Kirigiri seemed one step ahead of him the whole time. Its just that everybody else was pretty much a walking set of points to shoot down.

While Hinata's been doing more without having to be strung along, the other characters also feel so much more alive. DR1's in trials swung too much between useless and overly useful, but SDR2's hitting a good balance.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Patter Song posted:

You do realize that the Greek epics are translated and rarely (if ever) literally, right? The whole point of translation is to avoid direct transliteration to produce something that people can actually read and get something from. Just because it's in Japanese doesn't make it sacred.

Begleiter
Sep 13, 2013

The Bee posted:

While Hinata's been doing more without having to be strung along, the other characters also feel so much more alive. DR1's in trials swung too much between useless and overly useful, but SDR2's hitting a good balance.

Agreed. The new 'support a classmate's theory' mechanic plays a big part in that, I think. It's a minor change mechanics-wise, but it makes Hinata's classmates feel much more invested than Naegi's did. It also closes the gap between him and the rest of the class--which might be intentional, since Naegi was a SHSL Good Luck and Hinata (supposedly) has an actual SHSL skill to put him on even footing with the rest.

Kudzu
Jan 12, 2013

lotus circle posted:

Anyways nothing is actually confirmed officially. No formal announcement has been given, so it's more of hook than any confirmation.

Actually, before the last episode, Spike posted on a social network site about a "surprise announcement" at the end of the episode, that basically confirms it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kudzu posted:

Actually, before the last episode, Spike posted on a social network site about a "surprise announcement" at the end of the episode, that basically confirms it.

First of all, "Spike" (which isn't even the company's name nowadays) doesn't make announcements regarding the animated series. It's not their project. Every social media information about the series is either posted by Studio Lerche or by individuals connected to the production (some of whom work for Spike-Chunsoft, but aren't posting on the company's behalf). I just checked the series' official twitter account and nothing was posted about any sort of an announcement or a surprise.

What did happen before the episode aired is that last week's Famitsu feature on the Dangan Ronpa franchise had a quote from the series' director about a "surprise" in the final episode. The word "announcement" wasn't mentioned.

A teaser image isn't an announcement. It's an intent, and lots of things can go wrong with intents in today's flailing anime market. While I'm pretty sure this project will go as planned and we'll see a SDR2 anime sometime during the next year, a proper announcement includes dates and names and some sort of confirmation that things have actually gone into production.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thinking a lot about Monomi's little monologue in the last update, and what it means to the larger plot:

For simplicity, let's assume Monomi and Monobear are not on the same side. We'll call Monomi's side Faction Hope, and Monobear's side Faction Despair.

- Monomi acknowledged that, just like last time, someone is indeed watching this whole thing.
- Her knowledge, however, seems to all stem from the initial setup of this island. Once Monobear took over, she lost access to the security cameras and had to rely on her own senses. She, seemingly, has no more knowledge of Monobear's ultimate plans than we do.
- Combining those two facts, it seems like the audience witnessing things is doing so on Faction Hope's behest, not Despair's.
- Unlike DR1, it seems like the audience has some ability to influence things. The audience in DR1 attempted a rescue attempt, but failed (Monobear mentioned that was the explanation for the gunfire heard). Here, it seems like the audience ("we", "us") could originally have pull the students out if they needed to. But so far have chosen not / have lost the ability to act.
- The fact that Monomi has to speak to Faction Hope through the cameras implies they are in different locations and don't have an easier way to talk. Monomi's operator is almost definitely on the island.

This, in turn, makes me wonder about Monobear's motives.

- In DR1, the whole setup was designed to cause maximum despair to his worldwide audience. Monobear was always fairly upfront about there being a reason behind his actions, even if he didn't reveal the action reason until late in the game.
- In DR2, he claims not to have a motive for his actions. And the audience is seemingly not of his design. He's not set this up from the beginning, he's ruining the work of a different group.

Does this mean his motive is entirely different? We need to watch his actions and see if he's doing anything that he wouldn't have done in the first game. The fact that he almost let Kuzuryuu die is suspicious. It would be so much more despair-inducing for Kuzuryuu to live and regret his actions. That he had to be talked into saving him implies he might care more about killing the group (ruining the situation) than actually inducing despair in the audience.

Also, orenronen, I just gotta say what a good job you and your colleagues are doing on this LP. I burned through both threads in record speed because they were so well done. Thanks.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

- The fact that Monomi has to speak to Faction Hope through the cameras implies they are in different locations and don't have an easier way to talk. Monomi's operator is almost definitely on the island.

Is Monomi using the cameras? The dialogue isn't really clear on how she's speaking to these other people.

If she isn't using the cameras... well, that raises some interesting possibilities.

• Locked thread