Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

King Vidiot posted:

The silly racist caricature part was the main thing that put people off about the original game, so why is the fact that Lo Wang's just a nerd with a sword fetish in the remake a bad thing? Do we really want to go back to...

Low, low, low youah boat,
gentry down the st-leam!
Ooooh I think my dingy hanging out!

The unfunny racism of the original put a bad taste in most people's mouths. As if someone put pee-pee in their Coke.

I am disappointed that there isn't a "WHOOO WANT-A SOME WANG??" line at some point near the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Kryopsis posted:

Do you have the crossbow's quad damage upgrade? If not, why?
I'm playing on Insane and yes I have all the useful upgrades. The issue is that shooting a piece of armor long enough to reveal a weakpoint takes so much ammo that I spend all the time that the weakpoint is exposed reloading.

Between this and RoTT2013 I'm wondering if devs playtest their games on the highest difficulty anymore, and why boss fights all have to be so frightfully dull. I was honestly hoping there -was- some sort of secret I was missing, because now it's just that the boss is a huge bulletsponge that might possibly take more bullets than I can reasonably deliver. I feel like it's sort of weak to have a boss that completely invalidates the sword, but hopefully the following ones will be more creative and not just a more obnoxious variant of painkiller's first boss.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
The game kind of runs like crap on my computer unfortunately. I might have to wait for a patch or some tricky config editing before I can enjoy it. Running an i5-3570K @ 3.4 ghz, 16 gigs of ram, and a 460SE. Runs like crap even on the lowest settings.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Geight posted:

I'm playing on Insane and yes I have all the useful upgrades. The issue is that shooting a piece of armor long enough to reveal a weakpoint takes so much ammo that I spend all the time that the weakpoint is exposed reloading.

Between this and RoTT2013 I'm wondering if devs playtest their games on the highest difficulty anymore, and why boss fights all have to be so frightfully dull. I was honestly hoping there -was- some sort of secret I was missing, because now it's just that the boss is a huge bulletsponge that might possibly take more bullets than I can reasonably deliver. I feel like it's sort of weak to have a boss that completely invalidates the sword, but hopefully the following ones will be more creative and not just a more obnoxious variant of painkiller's first boss.

Yeah, sorry if I implied you were bad at the game or didn't know how to play it. I'm actually playing on Hard so I'm not even sure if I can say anything relevant to give you a hand. If it helps, I've been investing into Katana skills and stamina skills. My spells are kinda irrelevant since I always forget to use them but I have one point in shield and 4 points in the wave. I only used the crossbow for that fight but have you tried the Katana ranged slash ability (if you have it)?

To be honest, I found the fight to be a lot less annoying than Painkiller's first boss. I think the giant is my least favourite boss encounter in any game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I just had enough time to finish the first chapter. Is the revolver supposed to be absolutely worthless? Because holy god drat I can't remember the last time I used a gun that felt so awful in a first person shooter.

Also I shot a bunch of rabbits and one turned black and on fire and nibbled me to death.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 27, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Cowcaster posted:

I just had enough time to finish the first chapter. Is the revolver supposed to be absolutely worthless? Because holy god drat I can't remember the last time I used a gun that felt so awful in a first person shooter.

Use it to shoot environmental object as enemies run at you. Vending machines, barrels, air conditioning units on walls, cars, whatever. If it isn't a wall then it'll probably explode after one bullet and toss anyone near it around.

That's pretty much the only thing I use any guns for outside of bosses

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
:doh: I probably should've at least tried to see how well the wave attack would work before whining about how hard the boss is. Maybe that's the trick I need. Skill-wise I've also got full katana tree, picked up fire resistance after shooting a boiler lit me aflame and burned off over half my health, and now I'm just getting quality of life stuff like the two more money perks and more stamina. Powers seem mostly irrelevant so I'm just throwing them about wherever, I've got the left-hand side of the lift and the roar.

Also Painkiller's first boss is a slog on replays but the first time you play the level and it fades in there's that "where the hell is OH MY" moment that I think everyone experienced.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cowcaster posted:

Also I shot a bunch of rabbits and one turned black and on fire and nibbled me to death.

"Thas no oldinaly rabbit..."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm about an hour in and I loving love this game. It's fun as hell, doesn't take itself seriously, the graphics are gorgeous and for some reason I love your demon (spirit?) helper's voice. I really don't know how they could have remade Shadow Warrior any better than this.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Again I have to ask, can I just go around slaying my enemies with my hanzo dildo? Besides a good BFG or Exploding crossbow, can I mostly stick to magic and swords and have a good time doing so in this game?

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Again I have to ask, can I just go around slaying my enemies with my hanzo dildo? Besides a good BFG or Exploding crossbow, can I mostly stick to magic and swords and have a good time doing so in this game?

For the most part, yeah go nuts with chopping up dudes with the sword. I haven't gone too far in on hard but I do recommend picking the ghost spirit skills from the healing tree so you can live off of the souls of slain enemies and stick in the fight instead of pulling out to chi heal.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've found that the guns are a lot better when you put an upgrade or two into them. Akimbo SMGs are very handy and the Crossbow 4x damage upgrade is perfect for taking out the larger enemies. The Shotgun upgrades look like they'll make it a beast of a weapon, but drat are they expensive.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised at the amount of secrets I'm missing. Also that they put in secrets that don't even count toward secrets. On just the first level there's an anime girl bathing behind the waterfall, a flaming black rabbit that I'm guessing I got shooting all the rabbits, and if you get back to your car and run all the way down either side of the road you'll come to a painting of the road. You can peek through to see the world of Hard Reset behind it. Also destroying everything I can in case there is an achievement for it. So many things explode I've learned not to trust anything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Flubby posted:

I'm surprised at the amount of secrets I'm missing. Also that they put in secrets that don't even count toward secrets. On just the first level there's an anime girl bathing behind the waterfall, a flaming black rabbit that I'm guessing I got shooting all the rabbits, and if you get back to your car and run all the way down either side of the road you'll come to a painting of the road. You can peek through to see the world of Hard Reset behind it. Also destroying everything I can in case there is an achievement for it. So many things explode I've learned not to trust anything.

It seems like almost every level has a throwback secret area that's got Build engine graphics and somehow references the original, too.

For me, I've exclusively used the sword thus far. Make sure you get that Aswang Technique skill, then tap forward twice and hold LMB and ki strike the poo poo out of things to get more health back. Between that, the first ghost upgrade, and the improved sprint, I pretty much am invincible on Hard. I haven't really used any of the powers other than the Tiger Roar, either. Upgraded the left tree of that to full, and it's great for knocking down basically everything. You van even blast the harpies out of the sky with basically zero effort.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I've been playing on hard and I'm having a real blast so far.

edit: It's a great game so far, but it's not an old-school fps. Its got a lot of new school stuff like weapon upgrades and cutscenes (which are all skippable) and it incorporates a lot of elements from brawlers like devil may cry. It has combo powers and such that you trigger by tapping directional buttons then holding a mouse button. It does have a lot of old-school elements too, the action is split up into arenas like in Painkiller or Serious Sam, albeit less sort of codified than painkiller's. There are a shitload of secrets to find, and a lot of easter eggs too. The combat is the main focus of the game, the cutscenes don't interrupt that and so far there havent been any tedious walk-and-talk segments or scripted sequences like you'd find in a COD game.

The sword seems to be the meat and potatoes of the combat so far, but now that i've upgraded my crossbow and SMGs a fair amount they do feel like viable alternatives. The revolver seems kind of crappy even with some upgrades and its alternate fire mode. The ki powers do a good job of spicing things up, and there are a ton of environmental hazards to kill enemies with.

The humour is actually humorous and not crazily racist like old shadow warrior. The game isn't a huge throwback like ROTT2013 but the game does feel, for the most part, like old shadow warrior. I played through a bunch of shadow warrior in the days leading up to the games release and the whole format of going through the levels to find keys to unlock doors is still here. There are way less explosives so far though, but i'm on like chapter 4 so far so I've only unlocked like 3 weapons. The crossbow alt-fire is explosive though and I'm guessing later weapons will be more explosive too. It's not possible to find new weapons early through secrets though, unless they're hidden in one of the secrets I've missed. All the guns I've found have been in cutscenes in between arenas.

I was one of the handful of people who actually liked Hard Reset, and this game keeps the positive aspects of that game while improving the other aspects vastly and bringing in elements of painkiller and the original shadow warrior. It's got the same chunky, kinetic, frantic feel of Hard Reset while replacing the bullet spongey robots with hordes of mince-able demons.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 27, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Cheat codes would be really nice. After I beat the game, I want to go through and blow the poo poo out of everything using whatever weapon I get 2 minutes before the final boss. I guess that's why trainers exist.

Download Cheat Engine, make your own trainers. PC games always have cheat codes :eng101:

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Download Cheat Engine, make your own trainers. PC games always have cheat codes :eng101:

Also, there are console commands to unlock all weapons or/and all upgrades. I do not know them but I've seen them used in a video.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

Once you get the single action upgrade the Revolver owns bones.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just started level 2 and I accidentally exploded everything with my katana and died. This game owns so hard.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Just dropping by to say that I can't give this game enough love. I also love dashing in every direction. Woosh. WOosh.

I do wish more of the secrets were actually secrets though. Like environmental secrets, not just "we placed this karma bowl behind this car here"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Revitalized posted:

Just dropping by to say that I can't give this game enough love. I also love dashing in every direction. Woosh. WOosh.

I do wish more of the secrets were actually secrets though. Like environmental secrets, not just "we placed this karma bowl behind this car here"

Clearly you didn't find the 2.5D subway station. :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The secrets are like the worst part of the game because every one that I miss which shows up in the end chapter tally screen is like a dagger in my heart. God drat you 7/8 on chapter one.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I am loving this game. It's nice to finally have a modern FPS game that lets you carry all the weapons, hunt down colored "keycards," and eat medkits to restore health. And it doesn't take itself seriously. It really feels like a 90s FPS game with a modern facelift.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Some of the later levels remind me of 1990's FPS level design. This can only be good: I really missed the exploration aspect in modern shooters.
Also, I highly recommend investing into 'Headhunter' I and II. At this point in the game I pretty much never have any ammo. My pistol, PDW and Shotgun perpetually display '0/0' and while you can recover crossbow ammo (sometimes), 3-5 bolts isn't much. Basically, being able to just decapitate some enemies and do this is awesome!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kryopsis posted:

Some of the later levels remind me of 1990's FPS level design. This can only be good: I really missed the exploration aspect in modern shooters.
Also, I highly recommend investing into 'Headhunter' I and II. At this point in the game I pretty much never have any ammo. My pistol, PDW and Shotgun perpetually display '0/0' and while you can recover crossbow ammo (sometimes), 3-5 bolts isn't much. Basically, being able to just decapitate some enemies and do this is awesome!

But why would you use anything other than the sword? :colbert:

Honestly, I only have two ,complaints about this game:

1- When I slash repeatedly, I don't go into a crazy frenzy mode where Lo Wang just starts screaming like a lunatic.

2- You can't really control the swings, even on Advanced. I had hoped it would add a Jedi Knight style movement based swinging setup, but instead it has this odd thing where the way you're swinging your mouse dictates the type of swing, and it's not very precise. If they could tighten that up so there's some control and added in a block move, this game could be hilarious in MP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fuzz posted:

2- You can't really control the swings, even on Advanced. I had hoped it would add a Jedi Knight style movement based swinging setup, but instead it has this odd thing where the way you're swinging your mouse dictates the type of swing, and it's not very precise. If they could tighten that up so there's some control and added in a block move, this game could be hilarious in MP.

If you haven't heard of it before, you should really check out Blade Symphony. Its the spiritual successor to Jedi Outcast's multiplayer duels.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo the teleporting dual wielding skeletons are loving brutal. Especially when backed up by the big summoner demon.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Did anyone figure out a use for the hearts? They don't seem to do much for me, besides kill the occasional low-level demon. They don't even seem to be worth picking up. Am I doing something wrong? Hearts used to insta-kill a whole bunch of nearby enemies in the original game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kryopsis posted:

I've got Headhunter I (the first or second skill I picked up) and I've yet to get a Head. How do you get Head?! Do I need Headhunter II for it start working?

Also, people having problems with the first boss clearly haven't learned to dodge - or realized the crossbow is actually the Railgun of Shadow Warrior 2013. Giant Glowy Weakspots, announced static attacks, a crazy fast and far dodge and a railgun. You've got all the tools you could ever need by the time you get to the first boss.

Or maybe I'm just a Shadow Warrior savant cause I got my five-shuriken rated fight pretty early (it was the one that introduced the Tower-Shield Demons)

And the people claiming the levels are bland or uninspired: You're nuts. Like seriously, bonked in the head nuts. Shadow Warrior has the prettiest maps in a shooter since Crysis 1. And they're not only visually amazing, they're almost Valve level well designed too. Every break in the backtracking is clearly labelled, every secret well hidden but not Painkiller level idiotic obtuse and every square meter is filled to bursting with things that explode.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 27, 2013

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Kryopsis posted:

Did anyone figure out a use for the hearts? They don't seem to do much for me, besides kill the occasional low-level demon. They don't even seem to be worth picking up. Am I doing something wrong? Hearts used to insta-kill a whole bunch of nearby enemies in the original game.

They kill everything within 6 meters of you. I don't know if it works on high level enemies though. But you need to get close to use it.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

They kill everything within 6 meters of you. I don't know if it works on high level enemies though. But you need to get close to use it.

Ah, fair enough! I guess I'll try to get surrounded and see if it works. Thanks!

EDIT:

DatonKallandor posted:

I've got Headhunter I (the first or second skill I picked up) and I've yet to get a Head. How do you get Head?! Do I need Headhunter II for it start working?
You get them for killing specific enemy types. So far, I got heads from killing the big, fat demons that lasso you in and throw a fan of fireballs.

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 27, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

6 meters is 20 feet. That's not that close.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you haven't heard of it before, you should really check out Blade Symphony. Its the spiritual successor to Jedi Outcast's multiplayer duels.

I had not heard of it, but now I'm interested!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Fuzz posted:

6 meters is 20 feet. That's not that close.

I had not heard of it, but now I'm interested!

Actually I'm not sure what it said in game, whether it was 6 meters or 6 feet. When I used it, it seemed like it killed the enemies in front of me, but not the ones behind them. The range felt really short.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think it said 6 meters but it sure as hell isn't 6 meters. It seems way shorter. And enraged Demons might be immune.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Way to go, Wang, you dashed down a slope and this was apparently enough height to kill you from fall damage.

Overall this game is pretty fun thus far but the secrets and making me go OCD as hell. Only got 6/8 on the first stage, too.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

This is such a huge improvement over Hard Reset. I'm glad I bought it.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm pretty sure the game said it kills up to six lesser demons depending on how close they are. I haven't tested yet, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Infinity Gaia posted:

Way to go, Wang, you dashed down a slope and this was apparently enough height to kill you from fall damage.

Was this in the Build engine subway by any chance?

Also "I like my demons like I like my coffee, in puddles all over the ground" :haw:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Cowcaster posted:

Is the revolver supposed to be absolutely worthless? Because holy god drat I can't remember the last time I used a gun that felt so awful in a first person shooter.

Get the single action upgrade, and it becomes great against certain enemy types like the flying enemies, and the ones that lay explosive tracking balls or something

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm so ashamed at how badly I want a secrets walkthrough for each level. I don't mind anything else in this game except how long it takes to get any interesting guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Crabtree posted:

I'm so ashamed at how badly I want a secrets walkthrough for each level. I don't mind anything else in this game except how long it takes to get any interesting guns.

Here's the seven I found in chapter 1:
1)Once you first take control, head right across the little pond and follow the river downhill into a dark bamboo forest and a money statue. You can get this one at the end of the level too.
2)On that same pond you walked across, there's a small waterfall. Walk through it to a hidden Build Engine style area and another money statue. This is another one you can get at the end of the level.
3)Right after the old guy declines the deal and sics his goons on you, before you go up the balcony after him, stay on the first floor and go into the hallway underneath the balcony. Across from the Shadow Warrior arcade machine is a money statue
4)After escaping the cage and going through the green keycard building, you come out into an area with a lake, with a section of it blocked off by a broken bridge. Around the back edge of the lake there's a tunnel underground to a money statue
5)At one point you turn right past a building into a bamboo glade and go through a tunnel that tells you to turn on your flashlight. Around the left corner of that building, you can shoot through the window and hit a TNT barrel that will blow open the door. There's a money statue inside
6)In the forest before the river you head up to get the first Ki Crystal, there's a sort of mazy path through the bamboo off to the right down the hill. Follow this to the end and a blood fountain
7)Behind that first Ki Crystal shrine is a little bamboo path with a money statue. Easy.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 28, 2013

• Locked thread