Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A policy change came in, because our Exchange administrator is unable to configure a user's access to a shared mailbox after receiving multiple work orders to do so:

quote:

All calls related to Outlook issues that cannot be resolved at the Help Desk will now have to be assigned to field support so they can verify that the issue does not reside at the user's end. Please be sure that all troubleshooting steps by the Help Desk and Field Support have been documented in the work order before it gets transferred to the SA team.
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm hammering away at exchange 2010, but isn't it literally this screen?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

incoherent posted:

I'm hammering away at exchange 2010, but isn't it literally this screen?

There are only two screens, so it's either Full Access permission, Send Access permission or both.

Easy as poo poo, regardless.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Looks like I have to buy about 50 Shoretel phones right quick. Who has a credit card handy?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wasn't there a poor goon who bought stuff for the company on his credit card and got reimbursed?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

incoherent posted:

Wasn't there a poor goon who bought stuff for the company on his credit card and got reimbursed?

You're thinking of blackswordca, who wasn't getting reimbursed.

I buy poo poo for work off Amazon all the time with my personal Amazon card, with my boss' blessing. I then get reimbursed by check when I submit my monthly expense report. If they're not going to get the rewards points, why should I let them go to waste? :getin:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sirotan posted:

You're thinking of blackswordca, who wasn't getting reimbursed.

I buy poo poo for work off Amazon all the time with my personal Amazon card, with my boss' blessing. I then get reimbursed by check when I submit my monthly expense report. If they're not going to get the rewards points, why should I let them go to waste? :getin:

There was also Telex. Found that while trying to search for Blackswordca's post. For some reason the filter by username in search doesn't seem to work.

I buy poo poo from Monoprice. My reimbursement is basically my boss buying me poo poo from CDW. I've been having him buy me hard drives so that I can get a small NAS setup at home.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

incoherent posted:

If it is from anywhere but tiger direct or Canada computers, I need to buy it on my credit card and then file an expense claim, get it approved by finance, and get reimbursed via cheque in about 2 weeks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always put poo poo on my CC and then get it reimbursed. I love my points.

FKF
Nov 18, 2003

GOAT LOLZ

Thanks - that's from my lovely users, helpful bunch that they are.

It's slightly less silly than it seems, all the equipment was originally sitting on a table below the cabinet, but the table needed to be moved so the carpet could be replaced or something. Users being users, and terrified of unplugging things, decided it would be safer to suspend everything from the ceiling. They then sent us the picture so we could approve that it was 'alright'. Much laughing.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Shukaro posted:

I think I'd much rather give students these instead of overpriced tablets to be quite honest.

A bit late, but IIRC our state was originally gonna be going with those, but 90%+ of the schools who wouldn't have had a choice in what device they had(some schools could go with those, or continue with Apple) told the Governor to go gently caress himself and stayed with Apple.

So Ipads and Airs for all! :v:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

None of these are working. I want to see the mess art :(

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

He's aware:

tehloki posted:

Oops. I got my dropbox public links suspended for excess bandwidth usage with those server room photos. Oh well, once they're a few pages back I'm sure less people will be viewing them in rapid succession. Curse you, convenience of [timg]
Use imgur.com instead of wasting your bandwidth duder.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

tehloki posted:

Oops. I got my dropbox public links suspended for excess bandwidth usage with those server room photos. Oh well, once they're a few pages back I'm sure less people will be viewing them in rapid succession. Curse you, convenience of [timg]

Why aren't you using imgur you crazy person?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I've been reading the saga of Dick Trauma and the Idiot Boss and despite having never worked in IT or even an office job or even understanding half the technical terms, the complete, frustrating idiocy of the boss started getting to me. I know it was an unusual case but do most of you guys have to deal with a lot of similar issues? I don't know how'd I'd survive.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Farecoal posted:

I've been reading the saga of Dick Trauma and the Idiot Boss and despite having never worked in IT or even an office job or even understanding half the technical terms, the complete, frustrating idiocy of the boss started getting to me. I know it was an unusual case but do most of you guys have to deal with a lot of similar issues? I don't know how'd I'd survive.

My boss rented a lake house for us on Tuesday and my entire team was drunk by noon, and full of fajitas and bratwursts that he made by 1. :smug:

So basically, it varies a lot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

anthonypants posted:

A policy change came in, because our Exchange administrator is unable to configure a user's access to a shared mailbox after receiving multiple work orders to do so:
:negative:

How on earth could that person even be considered an Exchange administrator?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I'm the only hourly employee in my company with a company credit card! Woo helpdesk with a CC.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Dead Cow posted:

I'm the only hourly employee in my company with a company credit card! Woo helpdesk with a CC.

If only my company would give me one, we'd be in good shape. But nope, put in requisition forms and we may or may not make you jump through hoops or give you incorrect amounts of what you requested.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm actually amazed that for the pricepoint, noone's developed a way to use touchcover surfaces with a policy enforcement app
I've not actually touched Windows 8 in any form (unless you're counting Windows Phone 8) so I don't know if that has the fairly sweet management stuff that Windows Phone 8 does (it's missing a handful of fairly important features from our point of view, but everything that's there seems saner than Apple's MDM) but I'm pretty sure that at least one of our competitors has an app for it. The real issue here which I think most of the people in the thread are aware of, but surprisingly a few people haven't yet cottoned on to, is that iPads aren't being picked because they are the best tool for the job, it's because they're the sexiest/shiniest/most fashionable.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FKF posted:

Thanks - that's from my lovely users, helpful bunch that they are.

It's slightly less silly than it seems, all the equipment was originally sitting on a table below the cabinet, but the table needed to be moved so the carpet could be replaced or something. Users being users, and terrified of unplugging things, decided it would be safer to suspend everything from the ceiling. They then sent us the picture so we could approve that it was 'alright'. Much laughing.

Well, that story takes this picture from :stonk: to :3:. Your users actually came up with a clever (if inadvertently dangerous) solution to a problem that they were having. I hope they were rewarded with shelves for the hardware.

Also, I giggled like a little girl when the ups was pointed out.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Boss "highly suggests" we register for this SQL 2012 webinar since we're going to be moving to it in the future for our DBs.

Is there a Powershell module for FonzieSQL?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We have well over 100 employees who travel a lot and handle a lot of sensitive data on vulnerable people, so data security is very important. To the extent that they are now given laptops with almost no local functionality: no task manager, no right clicking and especially no saving to the HDD or USB storage. Just some trouble shooting utilities and a link to our terminal servers. It was a lot of work for us and is a big pain for employees in remote places where the required constant broadband connection is not guaranteed, but it means a lost or stolen laptop no longer means lost or stolen data.

I got one of these back to repair just now. It had three passwords taped on the casing. :buddy:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Hi drukqs:

I’ve just migrated to a new computer and I need my vpn password. I use the web access. Thanks.

--

I just reset your password to the following:

CoolRanchDoritos4!2

(Capital C capital R, D)

Because I’m eating doritos.

Thanks,
drukqs

--

Works great, thanks. Glad you weren't eating Oven roasted chicken with
country vegetables in a reduced honey dijon glaze over long grain white
rice.

==========

I know, lousy password. Life goes on.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 27, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

drukqs posted:

I know, lousy password. Life goes on.

Probably better than whatever they'll reset it to. :v: (assuming they reset it at all)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

drukqs posted:

Works great, thanks. Glad you weren't eating Oven roasted chicken with
country vegetables in a reduced honey dijon glaze over long grain white
rice.
BRB making every password the name of a complicated food.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Migishu posted:

None of these are working. I want to see the mess art :(

Alright I edited my post and used minus. I was using dropbox because I set up my phone to do automatic camera upload to dropbox as I take pictures so it's easy and I'm lazy. Also I totally forgot about the suspending public links thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&pagenumber=76&perpage=40#post419888951

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm going to start using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_cuisine for password resets so all my users look like terrorists to the NSA.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'm going to start using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_cuisine for password resets so all my users look like terrorists to the NSA.

Apparently Arabs make bagels but call them Kaak? Hilarious

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

tehloki posted:

Apparently Arabs make bagels but call them Kaak? Hilarious

Stealing this for our product revs code name list.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can someone sum up Nassi-Shneiderman-Diagrams for me? They seem highly irrelevant to me, but I was asked about it and wikipedia isn't all that helpful right now.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Brightman posted:

I too would like one of those bottle opener usb drives, despite never having anything to post in this thread since I started programming instead of working in a helpdesk. Willing to go for 32gb btw.

Again, still in catchup mode, but put me in for 32gb. I just wish the USB stick/bottle opener came with something a la isostick - would be nice to have various bootable OSes/installers on it.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

incoherent posted:

I'm hammering away at exchange 2010

Just upgraded to 2010 from 2003. It's easy enough to use I guess, but my first impression is that I much prefer nice simple trees lists and property windows to turning everything into an "action" or a "wizard" or some such. I mean it stiil has a tree and property windows but things seem to have been jumbled up with actions and wizards a bit more. I shouldn't need one of those slow SQL Setup style "doing this....... step 1/1.... done" things for adding an empty distribution list. Just add the bloody thing.

Also when creating a distribution group in 2003 I used to open a window and type in
joe b; alan c; david a; fred f; cloud s; rory t
and click ok and it'd resolve the names and add the users.

Now it's add, search, joe, click, ok, add, search, alan, click, ok etc

MS, y u do dis??

I guess they enjoy ruining their own GUIs to steer people toward the CLI to try and impress Linux admins or something, and I guess I'll be learning the CLI stuff!

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 27, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Just want to get some opinions, what do you guys think about firmware updates to managed switches remotely. Personally I think its a terrible idea but one of the Sr's is pushing for it to be done. The firmware in question is almost 8 years old with the newest revision coming out last year. I haven't done much reading so I am unsure if there needs to be and intermediate upgrade before applying the most recent revision.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 27, 2013

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I'm going to pick some smart peoples brains.

The CRM software I currently work as support for offers integration with Google calendars, through their API. It works, awesome.
Does ~anybody~ know where I could find information as to whether the same kind of API is available for Office365 accounts? I'm not a developer, but I'm trying to do our overworked dev team a favor and at least try to find some information to point them at, and I'm striking out hard. I may just be looking in the wrong places, or I might just be down with the Friday's.

For content, a ticket that didn't piss me off.

Emergency ticket from a client at 11:00 pm last night, none of their users could get on the system. Followed up 2 minutes later by another one saying "our bad, internets out here, sorry to have wasted your time, have a great weekend!". I love it when people actually call back and let you know! Makes life better.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Siochain posted:

I'm going to pick some smart peoples brains.

The CRM software I currently work as support for offers integration with Google calendars, through their API. It works, awesome.
Does ~anybody~ know where I could find information as to whether the same kind of API is available for Office365 accounts? I'm not a developer, but I'm trying to do our overworked dev team a favor and at least try to find some information to point them at, and I'm striking out hard. I may just be looking in the wrong places, or I might just be down with the Friday's.

For content, a ticket that didn't piss me off.

Emergency ticket from a client at 11:00 pm last night, none of their users could get on the system. Followed up 2 minutes later by another one saying "our bad, internets out here, sorry to have wasted your time, have a great weekend!". I love it when people actually call back and let you know! Makes life better.

Exchange web services is what you're looking for.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GargleBlaster posted:

I guess they enjoy ruining their own GUIs to steer people toward the CLI to try and impress Linux admins or something, and I guess I'll be learning the CLI stuff!

I agree. Oh MS, you've spent twenty years convincing us that your GUI was so awesome and easy to use and now that we are conditioned to it you want us to forget all of that and start using object-oriented commands via powershell.

So now powershell it is.

code:
The term is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Sorry! You've opened up PowerShell, not PowerShell for Exchange, or PowerShell for SQL, or whatever the gently caress the reason is for why the command isn't recognized in that window, but it is in this window.

A pox on all of your cmdlet!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

blackswordca posted:

Just want to get some opinions, what do you guys think about firmware updates to managed switches remotely. Personally I think its a terrible idea but one of the Sr's is pushing for it to be done. The firmware in question is almost 8 years old with the newest revision coming out last year. I haven't done much reading so I am unsure if there needs to be and intermediate upgrade before applying the most recent revision.

What's the driver behind the upgrade? Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is a terrible idea on something that old. If there's an issue or vulnerability, can it be mitigated?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

skipdogg posted:

What's the driver behind the upgrade? Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is a terrible idea on something that old. If there's an issue or vulnerability, can it be mitigated?

Apparently the current firmware revision its on has a bug where it drops packets while its under load. An upgrade to a newer revision supposedly fixes it.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sounds like something that needs to be taken care of. That stills means he needs to have a backout plan and contingencies in place in case of some kind of failure. Change denied with out a rollback and contingency plan.

• Locked thread