Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has there been an English subbed blu ray with the full Deep Red?

You could probably make a fortune releasing discs people actually want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wicksboro Incident owns like hell and scratched that Alternative 3/NatGeo Mermaid mockumentary itch.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Argento is so inconsistent. Suspiria is one of the best horror films I've ever seen, but the sequels are next to unwatchable; it's like someone clumsily trying to recreate what made Suspiria work but with no grasp of lighting, color, suspense, or pacing.

Phenomena is really good, though, so maybe continue with that. Just don't give up on it; it's a much more carefully plotted movie than it at first seems, and comes through literally in the last minute.

edit: spelling

Inferno is a movie I keep trying to convince myself I enjoy, because I really do like parts of it and it has a few great moments, but for every good shot there are five where he's just making GBS threads blue and red haphazardly over the frame, and you could chop out about a quarter of the movie without anybody ever noticing. The thing absolutely drags.

Honestly, for how much people say the acting in Argento movies doesn't matter and nobody cares about the characters anyway, the performances of Jessica Harper and David Hemmings are part of what elevated Suspiria and Deep Red (respectively) far above everything else he's ever done. They're the best anchors Argento movies have ever had, and for how crazy things can get that counts for a lot. Inferno's lead is a big wet blanket with an 80s mustache, and when it becomes clear the movie is just going to be a retread of Suspiria with worse pacing, uglier lighting and a worse protagonist, it becomes very, very difficult to remain invested.

But dammit, I love Suspiria and Tenebrae, and the movie definitely has its fans, so every year or so I go back to it thinking this will be the time it finally clicks for me. It never does.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

How do you feel about Eight Legged Freaks?

Don't care about CG tarantulas/orb weavers.etc. It was ok, but not quite as over the top in any direction as it needed to be. The problem with Kingdom is that they shipped in hundreds of docile, relatively smart, tarantulas and then smashed a good number for no good reason.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2013

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The first two Argento movies I ever saw were Susperia and Tenebrae. Man, I was shocked when I went through the rest of them hoping for that same level of quality.

Is Opera any good? The still with the needles is incredibly striking but I've never gotten round to watching it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Opera owns.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You could definitely make a strong argument for Opera being Argento's best film.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Maybe I'm weird but most of Opera just bores the poo poo out of me.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Argento's best films tend to swing between goofy and brilliant, but the gulf between the two is at its largest in Opera. You could argue it's one of his absolute masterpieces or that it was the first in a long line of derivative tone-deaf misfires and they'd both be equally compelling arguments. If you want to see how the man who made Deep Red managed to make The Stendhal Syndrome decades later, Opera's the missing link.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sethsez posted:

Argento's best films tend to swing between goofy and brilliant, but the gulf between the two is at its largest in Opera. You could argue it's one of his absolute masterpieces or that it was the first in a long line of derivative tone-deaf misfires and they'd both be equally compelling arguments. If you want to see how the man who made Deep Red managed to make The Stendhal Syndrome decades later, Opera's the missing link.

I think you'll find the missing link in that transaction is called Asia Argento. Dario's movies went straight down the tubes when he began torturing his daughter for shits and giggles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

I think you'll find the missing link in that transaction is called Asia Argento. Dario's movies went straight down the tubes when he began torturing his daughter for shits and giggles.

Pretty much. At least one good movie came out of all that, though, it's called The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Might as well use this opportunity to say that Phenomena is still one of the straight-up wackiest horror movies I've ever seen. It's like Hausu weird. I loving love it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Late Argento is so bad you can't help but wonder what kind of shapeshifter killed Dario and replaced him. It just can't be the same person.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
How many horror directors manage to continue making good films at any good rate after about a decade / decade and a half of working in the industry? They all seem to lag off and forget what made their brand of horror good in the first place.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well in addition to Argento there's Romero, Carpenter and Craven. Oh, and Tobe Hooper although he only had one really great movie to begin with.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Cronenberg is still solid, too bad he isn't making horror movies.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm watching "Let Me In" (I know, original is better but I have instant access to the remake right now), and wow, what a tough watch. Not in a frightening way, but the bullying scenes are so...palpable. I feel my heart wrench, I think this happens, this actually happens to some kids. :smith:
I didn't ask for this.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 27, 2013

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I don't mean to retread, but on the topic of Sleepaway Camp, you gotta get the survival kit:

You can't hate on Pamela Springsteen. It's not possible. gently caress the other sequels though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Well in addition to Argento there's Romero, Carpenter and Craven. Oh, and Tobe Hooper although he only had one really great movie to begin with.

Craven never really dropped. Red Eye and Scream 4 were as good as his earlier efforts. He was a CONCEPT guy more than a great director, which is why his remakes (Last House/Hills Have Eyes, not Nightmare) and sequels (NOES3) are better than his entries in general.

Tobe just has TCM, and mayyyybe TCM2 to a degree, as you said. Since Spielberg ghost directed Poltergeist.

Carpenter is the worst example. You go from goddamn Halloween and The Thing, which are two legitimate top movies in their subgenres, to whatever the hell he's doing now.

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 27, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

Craven never really dropped. Red Eye and Scream 4 were as good as his earlier efforts. He was a CONCEPT guy more than a great director, which is why his remakes (Last House/Hills Have Eyes, not Nightmare) and sequels (NOES3) are better than his entries in general.

Yeah, this is the easiest one since he was never a great director to begin with.

quote:

Carpenter is the worst example. You go from goddamn Halloween and The Thing, which are two legitimate top movies in their subgenres, to whatever the hell he's doing now.

Having a great time, drinking wine and smoking weed? Couldn't you say he basically came out of retirement to do The Ward?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Toriori posted:

I'm watching "Let Me In" (I know, original is better but I have instant access to the remake right now), and wow, what a tough watch. Not in a frightening way, but the bullying scenes are so...palpable. I feel my heart wrench, I think this happens, this actually happens to some kids. :smith:
I didn't ask for this.

I actually like Let Me In more because of the side plot with Casey Jones it adds.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Darko posted:

Unless we're limiting ourselves to horror, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live both came after those, and after a run of lovely movies in the 90s my impression is that Carpenter has mostly stopped doing anything, though apparently he directed something in 2010 that I've never heard of before. I remember reading an interview with him from a couple years ago though and I got the sense that he was aware his later movies sucked, mostly blamed the studios / money / Hollywood crap for that, and just gave up trying to make movies and is happily living on a pile of money and being grumpy about reboots. Were his Masters of Horror entries any good? I gave up on that series after like two episodes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

Pretty sure I've seen you post this opinion before and I still hugely disagree with it. ANOES is easily all-time-top-10 horror material for me, and Hills and New Nightmare are bonafide classics too.

Scream 4 is ungodly bad.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's The Ward that was Carpenter's recent one. And it's steaming dogshit.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Scream 4 and The Ward are both solid when it comes to directing. It's the scripts that let them down (I still say Scream 4 has both a great beginning and end, just a mediocre mid-section).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pretty sure I've seen you post this opinion before and I still hugely disagree with it. ANOES is easily all-time-top-10 horror material for me, and Hills and New Nightmare are bonafide classics too.

Scream 4 is ungodly bad.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is clearly the best one. The original has the starting "idea," but Darabont brings it to fruition in 3 (compare the script revisions with Craven's original treatment for 3, which is far more reserved). 1 kind of falls apart towards the end, which is similar to most Craven films (that all seem to end with the protagonist setting up traps when its not Scream).

I don't really see how you could view the original Hills as better than Aja's. Aja emphasizes what was good about the original, while minimizing things like the magical dog hunting down and killing everyone pretty much solo and being smarter than anyone else in the film.

Scream, Scream 2, and Scream 4 all have excellent direction; and 4 may be Craven's best direction job overall. As the post above says, it doesn't have the strongest script (the first half of 2 is basically the best of the Scream scripts), but he pulls more out of that, relatively, than he has anything else.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Craven is such a weird case because he basically fell into being a "master of horror!" almost rear end-backwards after his first few successes were horror movies and in turn that was all he could get funding for. He likes horror but it was never really a passion of his or anything, so he winds up doing a LOT of work-for-hire hack stuff. But dammit, I say when he's on he is ON. Scream 2's suspense scenes are just awesome, and even though Scream 4's suspense scenes are mostly all of the "IS THE KILLER BEHIND THE DOOR?" variety, he sure knows how to milk that poo poo. I actually think he got better as time went on. I mean, have you SEEN Last House on the Left?

Speaking of Craven, I recently saw Deadly Blessing on Netflix expecting another early-Craven shlock, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not great, mind you, but there's a sheen of professionalism to the movie that wasn't usually there in this period of his career and foreshadows at what was to come with Nightmare and Scream, and it also has early-career turns from Sharon Stone and James Horner(!).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Scream 4 just bummed me out more than anything because it's a script that was gutted by re-writes. Why get everyone excited by Kevin Williamson's script and then fire him and bring in Ehren Kruger to redo it. The guy from Scream 3 is re-writing the guy who wrote Scream.

There's actually an edit that uses all the deleted scenes from the DVD and it's already a more interesting film. It's a shame it has the same ending but it does have things like the fact that all the murders in Scream mirror the ones from the first - someone is remaking them - and it's something that's largely aborted from the final film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

I don't really see how you could view the original Hills as better than Aja's. Aja emphasizes what was good about the original, while minimizing things like the magical dog hunting down and killing everyone pretty much solo and being smarter than anyone else in the film.

The remake actually includes exactly as many dog-driven deus ex machinas as the original, by my count. And the original just has better villains/less reliance on gross-out scenes, to name two reasons I prefer it. But that's fair, I don't really see how you could watch Scream 4 without wanting to hurl your television/computer/local cinema out the friggin' window.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Every Scream movie movies farther away from what makes the first great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

It's legitimately kind of impressive that the franchise managed to dip down even lower than Scream 3, the one with the Jay and Silent Bob cameo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The remake actually includes exactly as many dog-driven deus ex machinas as the original, by my count. And the original just has better villains/less reliance on gross-out scenes, to name two reasons I prefer it. But that's fair, I don't really see how you could watch Scream 4 without wanting to hurl your television/computer/local cinema out the friggin' window.

The remake is kind of a great revenge movie too though. It has one of the best horror movie heroes I can remember and has a few really good fist-pumping moments towards the end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The remake is kind of a great revenge movie too though. It has one of the best horror movie heroes I can remember and has a few really good fist-pumping moments towards the end.

Yeah, don't get me wrong: I actually quite like the Hills Have Eyes remake. I just think the original is a real genre landmark that's kinda hard to top. There have been a lot of Hills Have Eyes imitators, but none of them have quite captured the bizarre gonzo tone of the original.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Scream owned. Scream 2 was good until the stupid twist at the end. Scream 3 was boring. Scream 4 tried too hard.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

New Nightmare was probably the second best thing Craven ever did. Sweet niblets, that movie was actually scary.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think the best thing Craven ever directed was Candyman.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the best thing Craven ever directed was Candyman.

Is that an inside joke or something I'm not getting? Since he didn't direct it, and I don't really get the relation there since it's typical Clive Barker (which is a good thing).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Haha, all this time I thought Wes Craven directed Candyman.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

weekly font posted:

Scream has a conceit you can only really pull off once in a movie series. Scream is "what if a slasher movie happened in real life?" So as soon as the second film starts you've already diverged from The Real World because the movie 'Scream' doesn't exist in-universe. The 'Stab' movies are a hilarious product of the universe trying to correct itself (a la JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies) but it can never quite get it right as reality is altered even further every time a new killer emerges, to the point where it's arguable whether Scream 4 even 'happens' or if it's some kind of movie within a movie (for my money I say it does, I think as long as Sidney is still alive the movie's universe is still intact.) The sequels are like venturing further and further into a hall of mirrors.

I wrote a book about this...

DrVenkman posted:

Scream 4...It's a shame it has the same ending

Scream 4's ending rocks. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
It's the most convoluted ending in the series except for two and three hth