Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Did you get the one up on the cliff? I think opposite the big shrine where you got the padlock key, the one you fought the Necromancer in front of, should be a smallish building with a padlock. Through there you get to a garden looking area that has a path up the side of a cliff to a seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

Oh, that part. I thought you meant the part with the big pools and bridges. For that part I seem to remember just continuing forward until you end up back where you started, then you have to just look around that first open area, there's one way off to the side in a little shrine. Definitely keep going forward because you'll end up in that house at the start with the Power gem and a secret idol in it... then you can open all the padlocks you passed on the way in.
He should have gotten the chi crystal in that part if he got the two shrines. Although you should run around from the beginning and open the doors anyway.

To find the red shrine go to the big temple where you fought the necromancer demon. Turn your back to it and go straight until you hit the wall then go right. You should see a door to the left that leads into some ponds. Just hug the right wall and you'll find the stairs leading up to the last shrine.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
One thing I'm really enjoying is all the little things they hide around the levels. My favorite so far is in the room you encounter the first demon in there's a bell-set you can mess around with. Each bell has different tone when you shoot them, and I managed to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I've also seen a full size Godzilla stomp around in the background of one of the levels, and I found a IRQ QR code on the card board boxes outside the building you get the very first key ring from, but it slipped my mind before I tested to see if it did anything.

EDIT:Durp.

I tested the QR code and it just goes to qrstuff.com. I guess it's just some random thing the artist grabbed. :(

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 29, 2013

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

As much as I like this game, I haven't gotten very far yet. Question about Chapter 2:

I found a lantern-thing in some dark basement with a flashing yellow light but I can't figure out how to break it. Do I need a special move that I don't have yet or do I have to find another secret in the level?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

epmode posted:

As much as I like this game, I haven't gotten very far yet. Question about Chapter 2:

I found a lantern-thing in some dark basement with a flashing yellow light but I can't figure out how to break it. Do I need a special move that I don't have yet or do I have to find another secret in the level?

Just keep going, you'll get back to it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

epmode posted:

You need to do the forward-forward-left-mouse attack on those lanterns but if there's a bubble around it you just need to clear enemies first. Come back to it.

Jonny Retro posted:

One thing I'm really enjoying is all the little things they hide around the levels. My favorite so far is in the room you encounter the first demon in there's a bell-set you can mess around with. Each bell has different tone when you shoot them, and I managed to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I've also seen a full size Godzilla stomp around in the background of one of the levels, and I found an IRQ code on the card board boxes outside the building you get the very first key ring from, but it slipped my mind before I tested to see if it did anything.

Wow I completely missed all three of those things. But yeah the exploration aspect is really fun and HOLY poo poo there's a first person shooter in 2013 where you have to shoot barrels to blow open walls to reveal secret rooms! I love it!

But if I had to knock this game for one thing it can get sort of confusing where you're supposed to go sometimes as the levels sort of wind back around on themselves and criss-cross all over the place. I think it's really neat but I've definitely been left hunting a few times. And if I had to pick a least favorite level so far it'd be the one with all of the poison labs or whatever that was. The Half-Life homage was fantastic but it was kind of annoying otherwise and not that interesting visually compared to everything else.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How do I use the special edition weapons?!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

How do I use the special edition weapons?!

In the options menu there's a little dropdown box that'll let you select from all the katanas available.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Just keep going, you'll get back to it.

Yodzilla posted:

You need to do the forward-forward-left-mouse attack on those lanterns but if there's a bubble around it you just need to clear enemies first. Come back to it.

Thanks! I don't know why I was getting hung up on that. I should have realized that Chapter 2 would have some backtracking, just like Chapter 1.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

In the options menu there's a little dropdown box that'll let you select from all the katanas available.

Must have missed it, thanks!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

epmode posted:

Thanks! I don't know why I was getting hung up on that. I should have realized that Chapter 2 would have some backtracking, just like Chapter 1.

I got puzzled by that too. It doesn't help that there's a money statue sitting right next to it that counts as a secret.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
So on chapter 5 in that cemetary area after getting the padlock keys I go back to get that ki crystal in the first building at the start of the level and the padlock is on the other side of the door, how do you get to that?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Destro posted:

So on chapter 5 in that cemetary area after getting the padlock keys I go back to get that ki crystal in the first building at the start of the level and the padlock is on the other side of the door, how do you get to that?

There are 2 ways forward from the cemetary where you got the key. IIRC One is south which leads to the red crystal lock thing, so break it then backtrack to the cemetary. The other is east, past the door that is sealed by the 3 crystal seals. You fall into a hole, break the 2 remaining crystals on your way through and eventually end up getting that Ki crystal you are talking about. It isn't missable if that is what you are worried about(and my directions kinda suck).

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Yeah I was worried I could miss it, thanks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I just picked up the shotgun. It's a double barreled one. That's cool, I like those.

Oh, it's got an upgrade that lets it fire both barrels. Nice, Doom 2 super shotgun! More games need one of those!

Ah, it's also got something that gives it four barrels. Neat, I'm understanding this information as it is being presented to me.

Both upgrades combined fire all four of the barrels.

GOTY 2013.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Cowcaster posted:

So I just picked up the shotgun. It's a double barreled one. That's cool, I like those.

Oh, it's got an upgrade that lets it fire both barrels. Nice, Doom 2 super shotgun! More games need one of those!

Ah, it's also got something that gives it four barrels. Neat, I'm understanding this information as it is being presented to me.

GOTY 2013.

Yeah I am very surprised at how fun this game is. What the heck is weapon inertia though?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cowcaster posted:

GOTY 2013.

Does it look like the quad-barrel shotgun from the Phantasm movies?

(Do people even remember those movies?)

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm having serious trouble with the giant lava boss with the axe that you fight as soon as you get sucked into the shadow world. I get that you shoot his armor to expose the crystal, but no matter how many bullets I put into that crystal the armor always closes before I can do enough damage. It's happened every time and I'm on multiple attempts to beat this boss. Machine gun, arrows, revolver, not a single one of them seems to pack enough punch to break the crystal before the armor snaps shut again.

It's seriously starting to piss me off.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Jesus the Shotgun is a death machine when you have all four barrels and the "all barrels fire at once" mod. The cloaking women, shield enemies, and suicide bombers don't stand a chance when you unload all four barrels into their face at once. I think I got through most of Chapter 13 with it and the rocket launcher.

Has anybody who's gotten into the later chapters used any magic outside of the healing spell? I've found it much easier just to unload my shotgun, rocket launcher, PDWs or crossbow into enemies than gently caress around with a spell that'll make two enemies out of 6 float around for 3 seconds.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wish the pacing was a little more consistent, painkiller was non stop on the enemies and it was awesome but Shadow-warrior keeps crashing headfirst into stupid poo poo like backtracking and hunting for a statue to open a door or whatever. I reached a room with three levers that you're supposed to move to get through a train and I remember thinking "why am I doing this stupid poo poo, this is getting in the way of my monster killing" painkillers idea of a interesting puzzle is attacking you with a new exciting enemy with a different type of weakness.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

I'm having serious trouble with the giant lava boss with the axe that you fight as soon as you get sucked into the shadow world. I get that you shoot his armor to expose the crystal, but no matter how many bullets I put into that crystal the armor always closes before I can do enough damage. It's happened every time and I'm on multiple attempts to beat this boss. Machine gun, arrows, revolver, not a single one of them seems to pack enough punch to break the crystal before the armor snaps shut again.

I'm playing through on normal right now, but the twin smgs at point blank range just chewed them up. The pistols alt fire at point blank may whittle it down fairly well. The crystals health doesn't actually fully regenerate when the armor snaps shut, but it does seem to regenerate at least a healthy chunk. Other than that just dash around when he tries to hit, and if you run low on health or ammo a bunch continuously spawns along the outer edge of the arena.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cowcaster posted:

GOTY 2013.

Heh.

You really need to get Blood Dragon after you finish this.

Trust me. :gibs:

Mushball
May 23, 2012
So how exactly do I kick? I've seen Wang give the boot to a demon's face a couple times but I'm not sure what I did to do that. I sort of regret taking the skill that causes souls to heal better because after chapter 4 souls rarely pop up from corpses, making them an unreliable source of healing compared to medpacks or the sword life steal skill.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
This game owns bones but I really don't like any of the Powers thus far. I thought I'd go for Protection but you give up too much with no RMB/Ki attacks and it takes too long to switch it on/off. Shockwave feels a little useless when I'd prefer to have a Ki attack on charge and it also seems to take a while to cast. Healing is alright and I'll probably dump my power points into that. Is Flux worth the points? It seems pretty bleh on paper.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Esroc posted:

The crossbow with its chargeup upgrade will chew through those crystals really fast.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Xaris posted:

This game owns bones but I really don't like any of the Powers thus far. I thought I'd go for Protection but you give up too much with no RMB/Ki attacks and it takes too long to switch it on/off. Shockwave feels a little useless when I'd prefer to have a Ki attack on charge and it also seems to take a while to cast. Healing is alright and I'll probably dump my power points into that. Is Flux worth the points? It seems pretty bleh on paper.

The powers aren't really useful outside of healing. By the time you're at Chapter 9 or 10, you'll have enough firepower that using powers will just take up time you could be tearing enemies apart with upgraded weapons or a powered-up katana.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gotta say, the choice to replace Wang the Horrible Racist Stand Up Routine with Wang the Ur Goon is inspired. Which isn't surprising, because so is the rest of the game. Chopping dudes down has never been so fun.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xaris posted:

I haven't found the use for Flux yet, but the Shockwave is really great at dealing with the Shield-carrying Demons. And the Protection spell, with ranged block upgrade (360 degree protection is nice too) is a must have when fighting flying demons or Humans.
Edit: Doesn't the Flux have a de-enrage component? Maybe that's really awesome for something.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 29, 2013

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Mushball posted:

So how exactly do I kick? I've seen Wang give the boot to a demon's face a couple times but I'm not sure what I did to do that. I sort of regret taking the skill that causes souls to heal better because after chapter 4 souls rarely pop up from corpses, making them an unreliable source of healing compared to medpacks or the sword life steal skill.

If you're sprinting, pressing LMB makes Wang kick.

I really like how if you look down in Shadow Warrior, you can see your feet. Far too few FPS games do that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

closeted republican posted:

Has anybody who's gotten into the later chapters used any magic outside of the healing spell? I've found it much easier just to unload my shotgun, rocket launcher, PDWs or crossbow into enemies than gently caress around with a spell that'll make two enemies out of 6 float around for 3 seconds.

I use flux a few times per level. It can pick up everything(inc both shield types) except the largest demons leaving you free to blast them while they are suspended for 4(or 6 seconds max). You can also chain it a few times to get a few different groups when maxed. Never used protection and shockwave is kinda poo poo compared to flux.

edit: vvvvvvvvv I would assume the miniboss type demons are the greater ones. Basically the dual wielding minotaur, the necromancer and the charging bull. Those are also the only things that Flux can't pick up either.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 29, 2013

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
I picked this up after seeing some positive feedback here in this thread and just got past the cemetary level. Have had quite a bit of fun with it so far.

I really think this is a game that you start to like more as you play it. The first few levels are pretty straightforward and there to get you accustomed to the melee mechanics but as you progress the levels seem to open up a lot more. They also look pretty great as well, especially for such a low profile game. You're also given a lot of tools for combat in the form of powers,skills and guns. In fact, I found that I had to drill myself a bit to get into the habit of using them.

so far it's definitely been an interesting and fun game and I hope it'll continue to be as such as I progress.

by the way, which enemies count as greater demons and which as lesser for the purposes of demonslayer/godslayer?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This game really is gorgeous... I'm playing with everything maxed out and particularly the docks were just pretty, probably one of the prettiest games I own.

I don't know what you guys are on about with the Shockwave sucking. Once you fully upgrade both sides of it it's amazing. It's the fastest of the powers, it knocks down everything but the huge dudes, and it will take away the minions' enrage AND make them start cowering instead of attacking you. In the places where they fly low, it also kills the flying demons in droves if you aim upwards. Other than healing it's the only power I've found useful... I didn't even bother with Protection because I saw "slow down" and "no ki attacks" in the description and immediately went "nope."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah Flux is kinda useless mostly because it takes so drat long to pull off but Shockwave is a good power. Still I used healing more than anything else and didn't even try defensive in my first playthrough.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Gotta say, the choice to replace Wang the Horrible Racist Stand Up Routine with Wang the Ur Goon is inspired. Which isn't surprising, because so is the rest of the game. Chopping dudes down has never been so fun.

I'm honestly shocked they didn't have him scream "I HAVE THE POWERRRR!!! when he completes the sword.

And a quick comment on the ending, I'm honestly surprised at how sweet it was. I expected something more...obnoxious but this ended up being a feel good kinda game.

e: also Build engine elements look real weird when you bring them into the "real" world :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I am loving some of the back and forth between Wang and Hoji. Especially the bit about the Nobitsura Kage being the hotness.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Hoji was a really inspired addition. I love his voice and attitude.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why are there so few reviews of this game? http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/shadow-warrior (I read the RPS wot I think).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

In the third section of the game, how do you get back to that tram area? There was a bunch of poo poo to be picked up, including 2 secrets. You can't get off the tram and I couldn't see a way to totally bypass the actual riding part.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just did the next part. Duh. :doh:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 29, 2013

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Rinkles posted:

Why are there so few reviews of this game? http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/shadow-warrior (I read the RPS wot I think).

Because it's a PC-exclusive title from a small publisher. Also, 'Shadow Warrior' isn't much of a brand and I do not believe I've seen a lot of marketing for this game.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We might start to see more reviews if it makes it to a console (presumably something next gen since it's so resource intensive). The controller support is really good and obviously thought through, with a nice weapon switching menu and aim assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I played the living poo poo out of Shadow Warrior back in the day despite knowing it was a garbage game full of stuff that made me really uncomfortable. That game has not held up at all, and is a prime example of the attitude that took over 3DR to produce the travesty that became DNF.

This game is none of those things, but it is the most fun I've had playing an FPS since loving Painkiller. Plus I get to slice dudes up with a dildo on a stick and quite possibly a mop next week. This is excellent, this is beautiful both literally and figuratively, and this is the FPS genre I miss.

• Locked thread