Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Report on the Samsung 55 8000 3d smart TV I got a few weeks ago ( http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN55F8000AFXZC )

gently caress this poo poo, I love it, got used to the "Soap Opera effect" and I now demand it on action movies, gaming lag is really not noticeable at all, and after fiddling with my image settings I realized the sports problems were a combination of A) Low quality source video and B) Getting used to the extra framerate, which is really great. Once A) was fixed, gently caress, this TV owns.

Have not used the 3D features because who cares(Honestly, haven't found any content to use), and neither the hand gestures which are pretty worthless, as is Voice Control. The Smart TV side, only used it for Netflix and works reasonably well (Apple TV had a nicer interface but the convenience in the Samsung TV integration is nice). Apparently has "Quad Core" processors but who gives a gently caress, it's a TV and I'm not using any of the integrated apps, because I am a civilized person and own a Personal Computer.

Also the base continues to be absolutely retarded, but now that I have a big table for the TV it's fine. I wonder if I'd gotten the previous version (6000?) that didn't have 3d+SmartTV+Voice and Motion controls, if I'd have saved the extra 500 dollars, or if the image quality is better in this one too. Image quality is awesome, but does require some fiddling or saving settings depending on what content you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can't get used to motion interpolation/soap opera effect on regular TV because my cable signal is so crappy, that it emphasizes the junk and it's unwatchable.

It's too bad too, there's a really nice Sony model I had seen but it apparently doesn't let you turn interpolation off.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Pews posted:

I think with Amazon's TV Low Price Guarantee you can get the $50 difference back.

No poo poo, gonna have to check that out

e: thanks for the heads up, got $50 back.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 30, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Don Tacorleone posted:

gently caress this poo poo, I love it, got used to the "Soap Opera effect" and I now demand it on action movies

You're an awful human being and will no doubt infuriate anyone who comes over to your house to watch TV.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wario In Real Life posted:

You're an awful human being and will no doubt infuriate anyone who comes over to your house to watch TV.

I can't hear you over the sound of Star Trek: Into Darkness looking loving sweet

It feels like back when the SD->HD switch was happening, once you go back to watching regular framerate stuff, it feels like using muddy glasses. Maybe old movies are going to suffer a lot, but the new poo poo is great. Robocop, Riddick, Oblivion, can't wait to try Elysium on it. I'd like to try Apocalypse Now too. It's probably just years of conditioning to a certain framerate.

I gotta admit the first time I saw the Soap Opera effect I hated it, but back then it was the Attack of the Clones and the green screen just jumped at your eyes, it was a movie that was clearly made in a bad way.

Good movies just look like... a more realistic movie. poo poo entertainment is going to be really exposed, but good cinematography will always work. The Life of Pi looked incredible too. Love that poo poo.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Curious... has anyone bought a TV and later regretted it because it was too big?

I'm trying to decide between a 55-inch and 60-inch for my next TV. I've seen all the charts, and my recommended viewing distance between and couch and TV would be at the very bottom end for a 60-incher. I'm not sure if that means I would be better off with a 55-incher.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've read a lot of this thread and am still very confused as to what to do.

1. I don't want a plasma, would like LED
2. Id like a 50 inch tv.
3. Id like it to be pretty good for movies and such.
4. I really really don't care about smart crap or 3d
6. Id like it to be at most 800. Maaaaybe 850.

Does this exist?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Grey posted:

Curious... has anyone bought a TV and later regretted it because it was too big?

I'm trying to decide between a 55-inch and 60-inch for my next TV. I've seen all the charts, and my recommended viewing distance between and couch and TV would be at the very bottom end for a 60-incher. I'm not sure if that means I would be better off with a 55-incher.

That's allegedly the reason why someone has a 70" Sharp on my local Kijiji classifieds.

If it helps, I sit ~7 feet from my 51", and I don't consider it too big. Indeed, I wish I'd had the cash for a 55.
If you're sitting ten or more feet away, a 60" shouldn't be a problem.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gozinbulx posted:

I've read a lot of this thread and am still very confused as to what to do.

1. I don't want a plasma, would like LED
2. Id like a 50 inch tv.
3. Id like it to be pretty good for movies and such.
4. I really really don't care about smart crap or 3d
6. Id like it to be at most 800. Maaaaybe 850.

Does this exist?

Sure, do some research, personally I went with the aforementioned Samsung but it was more expensive due to useless (to me) SmartTV and 3d crap, but while shopping I saw a lot of very affordable LGs that looked decent. Maybe the Samsung F6000 series is cheaper by now, which is last year's model and still pretty decent from what I saw.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

Sure, do some research, personally I went with the aforementioned Samsung but it was more expensive due to useless (to me) SmartTV and 3d crap, but while shopping I saw a lot of very affordable LGs that looked decent. Maybe the Samsung F6000 series is cheaper by now, which is last year's model and still pretty decent from what I saw.

I have been doing research and it's dizzying. What are some these LG's you recommend?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gozinbulx posted:

I have been doing research and it's dizzying. What are some these LG's you recommend?

Oh boy, I already forgot the models I was researching, but I used this site mostly:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk

Looking at the latest reviews, this SamsungTV seems like a great no-frills one, except for the size, but maybe they make it in a bigger version:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue32f5000-201308253262.htm

Unless you're in a real hurry, give yourself a couple of weeks to read reviews and to familiarize yourself with the lingo. Most stuff is really superfluous (gamma states, chromaticity, and white balances) but you'll feel more comfortable once you understand the basic differences. After all, a TV could last you 5 years or more if you're not looking for cutting edge.

Basically boils down to what size you want, and if you prefer LED to Plasma and your budget. Honestly most current TVs look great, specially if you don't want to pay for the extra 3D stuff.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

The Grey posted:

Unless I'm being forced to turn my head to follow the action, I never really find a screen to be too big per say. You do tend to notice artifacts in the source though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Does anyone know if the Smart features on this TV actually require the add-on Magic Remote? That seems stupid http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-50LN5700-50-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00BB9OPR8/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

KingKapalone posted:

Does anyone know if the Smart features on this TV actually require the add-on Magic Remote? That seems stupid http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-50LN5700-50-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00BB9OPR8/
You don't need it. The Magic Remote just gives you a cursor to navigate with (like the Wii) instead of using cursor buttons.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

This year's models use "F". Samsung's 2012 lineup uses "E". Just saying.

LGs look great every time I see them, and they're what I'd pick if I wanted to experiment with adjustable motion interpolation settings and 3D.
But I'm afraid I'm in the "darker blacks always = better" camp.
Which is funny because my monitor is at least three years old now, but I think it's black level is perfectly fine.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

This year's models use "F". Samsung's 2012 lineup uses "E". Just saying.

LGs look great every time I see them, and they're what I'd pick if I wanted to experiment with adjustable motion interpolation settings and 3D.
But I'm afraid I'm in the "darker blacks always = better" camp.
Which is funny because my monitor is at least three years old now, but I think it's black level is perfectly fine.

Whoops, sorry, you're right, I think the 6000 were just a model without some smart tv features or something? Anyway they were cheaper, thanks for the correction

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

LG's Smart UI is a bit annoying to navigate without one, but it's not that bad.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
So I'm looking to get a TV for the first time in my life, and the biggest issue I've been having so far is figuring out what the proper size for my room is. I'll be sitting about 8-9 feet away, and I'm thinking at my price range of around $500 that ~40 inches seems to be the best bet. Am I on the right track here?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

KingKapalone posted:

Like others said, it's not required. If you plan on using the Smart TV capabilities a fair amount, it might be a good idea to pick up a cheap wireless mouse and keyboard. My year old wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard worked just fine when I plugged the usb adapter in the TV.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've been at this for hours and I feel more lost than before. What's the cheapest TRUE 120mhz LED? 240?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's a good question. Some companies have a policy of using their motion interpolation ratings as their "official" rating.
Here's a link on the subject: HD Guru: Beware of Phony LCD HDTV Refresh Rates
TL;DR - Best Buy lists the actual refresh rates of the televisions it sells.

Thanks Internet posted:

So I'm looking to get a TV for the first time in my life, and the biggest issue I've been having so far is figuring out what the proper size for my room is. I'll be sitting about 8-9 feet away, and I'm thinking at my price range of around $500 that ~40 inches seems to be the best bet. Am I on the right track here?

I think you could stand to go larger at that viewing distance.
Some size maximizing options from the last page:

The 47" Vizio E series TV is $500 new.
LG 47LN5400 for the same price.
And there's always BB's store brands (Dynex/Insignia) which are based on LG panels. Finally, Black Friday's only ~ a month away... :dance: That's where the really affordable doorcrasher deals will be.

Forty inch models:

If you want to go Vizio, I'm partial to the M-Series myself.
Samsung has the UN40F5500 for $514 (add to cart to see price). It also has 3 HDMI ports, plus a dual core processor for Smart apps.
LG has the 42LN5700. Also dual-core.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 2, 2013

superfox
Aug 10, 2012

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
In my research, I've found that Vizio's E Series offers black of .06, which is really impressive for a LED as far as I can tell, and a white above 300. Why do you recommend the M series over that? Cause its 3D?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Honestly, it looks pretty. Literally no other reason.

I believe reviews mention a wider viewing angle, but I don't remember.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Doesn't the M series have local dimming? Or maybe just some of them?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TheEye posted:

Doesn't the M series have local dimming? Or maybe just some of them?

I think/thought all the M series do local dimming.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Internet posted:

FYI 10 months ago I bought a decent, if very basic Panasonic plasma 50" for $599 shipped to my door from Amazon. If you've waited this long, better to wait another month or 3 and see what sales pop up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If I'm basically just looking for a big monitor (40-46") to hook up to an xbox and htpc and give no fucks about smart tv, 3d or even tuner features, what are my options? I looked at actual large-size computer monitors, but they seem to be universally worse and more expensive than just buying an HDTV and ignore the actual TV features.

The only thing I care about is picture quality. Any sub-1k recommendations?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

That's a good question. Some companies have a policy of using their motion interpolation ratings as their "official" rating.

I think you could stand to go larger at that viewing distance.
Some size maximizing options from the last page:

The 47" Vizio E series TV is $500 new.
LG 47LN5400 for the same price.
And there's always BB's store brands (Dynex/Insignia) which are based on LG panels. Finally, Black Friday's only ~ a month away... :dance: That's where the really affordable doorcrasher deals will be.

Forty inch models:

If you want to go Vizio, I'm partial to the M-Series myself.
Samsung has the UN40F5500 for $514 (add to cart to see price). It also has 3 HDMI ports, plus a dual core processor for Smart apps.
LG has the 42LN5700. Also dual-core.

Where he says Costco, etc doesn't specify what is on the box, that is false. Walmart, Costco, HHGregg, and a few others all made specifications beyond just font and size of what went on Hisense TV boxes. This included leaving the mention of 3D support for more than few models.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Well, I managed to narrow down the issue with my Vizio's game mode. It only disables itself when I turn off the TV. I tried every combination of input switching, turning the console off/on, etc... Vizio support recommended switching the Xbox's output to 1080i, disabling smooth scrolling, and turning game mode off to see if that helps the lag. I'll try it out after work today, although I'm fairly certain I already did this...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Oh, so that's why my LG's box said 240.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Welp, getting a new TV. One of the pixels got stuck as red after 3 weeks, tech came over, new TV getting delivered next week.

Go go LG warranty support, I guess.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

golgo13sf posted:

Welp, getting a new TV. One of the pixels got stuck as red after 3 weeks, tech came over, new TV getting delivered next week.

Go go LG warranty support, I guess.

Just curious but anyone know what companies do with these huge rear end displays? Are they fixable?

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Does anyone have experience or opinions on either of these two models I'm considering?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253358CVF

http://www.costco.ca/Panasonic-Viera-TC-L58E60-58-in.-Smart-1080p-LED-HDTV**-.product.100041960.html

thanks in advance guys

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

Just curious but anyone know what companies do with these huge rear end displays? Are they fixable?

It depends on the cost / profit ratio. If you stand a good chance to make money off a refurbish, they will pull the display, replace it, but keep the same boards. If they have another display that has a board, they may cannibalize the boards for that display. For a really cheap unit, they most likely end up in the trash.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Well I have to say I love the new Bravia 42 inch (KDL42W653), the display is amazing, I've never had a tv before that I could genuinely use as a pc monitor and be able to read all of the text at high resolution. It has a whole bunch of smart tv features I didn't even know existed, it connects to my Internet via wifi, you can push videos to it seamlessly from any android device. It has Netflix iplayer and just about every conceivable online media player built into it. The biggest shock was when I took it out of the box and discovered it was less than an inch thick, the whole display bends if you're not careful, it's almost too thin.
The only downside for some people might be that it has only two hdmi sockets, but I have a reciver with 5 hdmi inputs built in so I'm not really too bothered about that. I can't believe that it costs less than a thousand pounds .

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Well today is the big day. I'm gonna go buy a tv. I saw one of the ones I'm really considering (vizio e series 55inch) at walmart yesterday. The video they were sending to all the tvs, though, was so poor there was no way I could judge the PQ from that. Also the price is so good ($800) than other 55 inches that I feel like SOMETHING must be wrong about it. Televisioninfo says it has one of the darkest blacks on any LED (.06 I believe) and goes up past 300. I don't know what to do.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Don Tacorleone posted:

Report on the Samsung 55 8000 3d smart TV I got a few weeks ago ( http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN55F8000AFXZC )

Have not used the 3D features because who cares(Honestly, haven't found any content to use), and neither the hand gestures which are pretty worthless, as is Voice Control. The Smart TV side, only used it for Netflix and works reasonably well (Apple TV had a nicer interface but the convenience in the Samsung TV integration is nice).

Bah Gawd, was I wrong about the 3D - a friend brought over a demo 3D vid, plugged it into the USB port, and I was blown away how cool it looked. Holy poo poo I demand all movies be 3D now.

I gave it a half assed shot to play 3D content from YouTube but it didn't seem to work from my hdmi connection, but playing from USB seems to work everytime.

Smart Tv gestures and voice control are still poo poo though

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Bah Gawd, was I wrong about the 3D - a friend brought over a demo 3D vid, plugged it into the USB port, and I was blown away how cool it looked. Holy poo poo I demand all movies be 3D now.

I gave it a half assed shot to play 3D content from YouTube but it didn't seem to work from my hdmi connection, but playing from USB seems to work everytime.

Smart Tv gestures and voice control are still poo poo though
Rewatch Life of Pi.

Also, have you set up youtube to play on TV? Pair your youtube account with the TV, then fire up the TV's youtube app. On your computer, when you want to fullscreen a video, there will be another option to watch on your TV. This works on tablets and phones as well, but I don't have anything that fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm mostly meh about the gesture control. It doesn't bother me, except that if I have it enabled and don't have the camera up, it bitches about it every time I turn the TV on. That's annoying.

The voice control is worthless, though: it is routinely triggered by dialog in whatever I'm watching saying, "Hi T-whatever-name," that is, someone saying hi to anyone who's name starts with a T. Did they not test it under such circumstances? :confused: I suppose it might be in part because I'm using external speakers, but come on.