Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MassRafTer posted:

He did some after he returned but I think there were 2-3 he could not do.

I thought he made good with everyone. I know he did with Mikey's group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, and WWE's been fairly good about letting talent make up big commitments like that after bringing someone back.

Actually, wasn't Matt Hardy legit fired briefly during the Edge debacle, and they let him finish up his ROH dates even after re-signing? And then there was the whole palava with Punk doing an appearance while in OVW. (He asked an agent, I think Dreamer, agent said it was cool. Office found out, got mad at the agent, but Punk still got to do the show, as I recall.)

Not only did Matt finish his ROH dates but he even advertised them on Raw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHhF843_E_U

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Cena posted:

Finlay stayed on the Independants and worked ROH and other federations during his release from WWE. Danielson didn't cancel any of his dates, and continued to work them after re-debuting with WWE.

I forgot that "that guy" was finlay :hurr: and worked ROH.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

On the subject of Matt Hardy's firing and re-hiring, was there any truth to the story that they even tried to get TNA to use him in their PPV after he re-signed so that they could really sell the angle as a shoot, or was that bullshit?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MassRafTer posted:

He had to cancel several dates that conflicted with his WWE schedule. Him canceling his date with Whipwreck's fed was the big tip off he was definitely doing SS.
Ha, one of my friends was working that NYWC show and he texted me when I was watching SummerSlam to ask if Bryan had showed up. I wonder if Whipwreck explained the situation to his workers or if it was just an unspoken obvious thing that everyone figured.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Minidust posted:

Ha, one of my friends was working that NYWC show and he texted me when I was watching SummerSlam to ask if Bryan had showed up. I wonder if Whipwreck explained the situation to his workers or if it was just an unspoken obvious thing that everyone figured.

Well they also spoiled that Bryan would be showing up on WWE.com during the event.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's been seen on a bunch of internet segments doing mini 'pipe bombs' on other wrestlers using the name 'Bad News Barrett'.

I look forward to his upcoming feud with Kofi Kingston, where Kingston paints himself half white.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Esoterrorist posted this in the Carnies... thread:

Esoterrorist posted:

Lisa Moretti said that she was snobby to anyone who wasn't important during her time at WWE. She wasn't completely negative about her though. This was from her KC Timeline of WWE: 2001.

From the same video: She gave a funny story about the first time Triple H judged Wrestler's Court. He took the position that was traditionally Undertaker's and everyone knew it. It's customary to give a gift to the judge, usually a box of beers. She gave him a voucher for a mid-market but still reasonable hotel (he always booked himself into more upmarket hotels.)

Maybe not so much funny as it is a you-had-to-be-there story.
I always figured the whole Wrestler's Court with Undertaker in charge was more of a two guys in the locker room having an argument and then Undertaker is there and says calm down and tries to sort it out. But now I'm imagining Judge Taker withe a little gavel and a makeshift courtroom and everything! it's amazing, and all the other wrestlers have jobs in the Court! Kane is the bailiff! Big Show is the stenographer! sorry... anyway:

Does anyone know what the details are of Wrestler's Court, is it just problems are brought to Undertaker as lockerroom leader and Judge by default or is there more to it than that? and is it just a WWE thing or is it just a standard Wrassling tradition?

...box of beers?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Apparently the 'defense attorney' for the wrestler was usually Ron Simmons, so yeah, I guess it was kind of a silly court setup.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Chewy Bitems posted:

Esoterrorist posted this in the Carnies... thread:

I always figured the whole Wrestler's Court with Undertaker in charge was more of a two guys in the locker room having an argument and then Undertaker is there and says calm down and tries to sort it out. But now I'm imagining Judge Taker withe a little gavel and a makeshift courtroom and everything! it's amazing, and all the other wrestlers have jobs in the Court! Kane is the bailiff! Big Show is the stenographer! sorry... anyway:

Does anyone know what the details are of Wrestler's Court, is it just problems are brought to Undertaker as lockerroom leader and Judge by default or is there more to it than that? and is it just a WWE thing or is it just a standard Wrassling tradition?

...box of beers?

According to Wikipedia

quote:

The unofficial forum among WWE wrestlers for the policing of wrestlers that violate the rules and traditions laid down by the company. The punishments meted out can range from pranking to paying for other wrestlers' travel expenses. In Matt and Jeff Hardy's book Exist 2 Inspire, they mention an incident they had with The Court while it was still headed by The Undertaker, "We got to the next house show and Bradshaw told us, 'You guys have been sentenced to Wrestler's Court. Your trial is set for next week at Raw. Wrestler's Court is exactly what it sounds like. All the wrestlers gather in the locker room, and they hold a mock trial. The Undertaker is the judge and JBL is the prosecuting attorney. It's pretty scary, because once you get up there on the stand, everybody's against you." Judges for Wrestler's Court have included: The Undertaker, John Bradshaw Layfield, Hardcore Holly, and Brian Adams.

also don't forget that Taker would have that pair of tiny glasses for looking at the fine print on legal documents. But this was basically Vince's way of letting the lockerroom sort out the petty personal bullshit. I guess nobody wants another Shawn/Bret thing going down so it's just "No, gently caress you, this is your punishment, now calm the gently caress down"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

Apparently the 'defense attorney' for the wrestler was usually Ron Simmons, so yeah, I guess it was kind of a silly court setup.

So basically a public defender whose only objection is :drat:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Someone please post that old .gif of Judge Vince shouting SHUT UP! at someone in VinceCourt.

EDIT: Nevermind; I had it saved in a gif folder, afterall.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 3, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You know what? this is what TEW is missing. The ability to have the wrestlers sort their poo poo out in an Ace-Attorney styled mini-game.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Is the Wrestlers Court still a thing in the current era? Haven't heard any recent anecdotes about it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Thauros posted:

Is the Wrestlers Court still a thing in the current era? Haven't heard any recent anecdotes about it.

Maybe? I mean Miz was there for the "Eating a piece of chicken and spilling crumbs over someones bag"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Onmi posted:

Maybe? I mean Miz was there for the "Eating a piece of chicken and spilling crumbs over someones bag"

That does sound like something Miz would do. What an inconsiderate prick. Doesn't he know that chicken doesn't go in gym bags? Only turds go in gym bags. Typical Miz.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Did the Kliq ever end up in Wrestlers Court for the Curtain Call? Was HHH sentenced to half a decade of jobbing?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did the Kliq ever end up in Wrestlers Court for the Curtain Call? Was HHH sentenced to half a decade of jobbing?

HHH was never punished as harshly as he likes to claim.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Triple H was IC champion 5 months after MSG. Don't buy the hype.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Really, the only notable punishment he got for the Curtain Call was not being KotR, and even then, I don't believe they were 100% settled on him winning beforehand.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

VogeGandire posted:

Really, the only notable punishment he got for the Curtain Call was not being KotR, and even then, I don't believe they were 100% settled on him winning beforehand.

And HHH's ridiculously quick jobbing to the Ultimate Warrior took place over a month before the MSG incident.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Triple H really was buried for a few months, but at the end of the day he was still tall and Shawn's friend and it was 1996 WWF so it's not like they had tons of better options.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I thought the worst thing from the Curtain Call was that Triple H's KOTR win was delayed a year?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MisterGBH posted:

I thought the worst thing from the Curtain Call was that Triple H's KOTR win was delayed a year?

Triple H was coming off a round of house shows where they had Hall put him over on Hall's way out, with the plan of that as the start of Triple H's rise as a top heel. Instead of getting his KOTR program and being in the mix with the top faces, he was largely pulled off of TV after doing a few jobs, and was used as a name jobber for the likes of Marc Mero at the houses. When his contract expired a few months later, he re-signed with Titan anyways instead of jumping back to Turner (where he probably would have been significantly pushed for political reasons), and Vince then got him going again since he'd both been punished and proven his loyalty.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nothing about HHH's year in the Dog house was any worse than anything that every WWE superstar has gone through in the past decade of stop/start booking but because it happened to HHH then it's such a big loving deal oh my god.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Onmi posted:

That was like 7 years ago

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the same incident where Benoit made him go get changed in his car.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nothing about HHH's year in the Dog house was any worse than anything that every WWE superstar has gone through in the past decade of stop/start booking but because it happened to HHH then it's such a big loving deal oh my god.
It has some historical significance though, as it was directly referenced on TV (like, an in-ring Raw promo as opposed to some sort of documentary) and that sort of thing was mind-blowing in 1997. They literally played the curtain call right on the Titantron. WWF never made overt shooty references like that back then, so the whole incident and punishment has achieved a sort of legendary status.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Ok, so I see this brought up often. People will say that Roman Reigns has a great spear or Edge did a terrible spear. So what makes a spear look good?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Ok, so I see this brought up often. People will say that Roman Reigns has a great spear or Edge did a terrible spear. So what makes a spear look good?

What makes any move look good? Impact? Speed? The mechanics of the thing? A spear is essentially a tackle, there are tons of bad tackles.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

There are many reasons, neck integrity being the most prominent, for this but I think it has to do with how Roman just commits to that move while Edge always looked like he was hesitating or holding back a bit. Goldberg, like Roman, also didn't give a gently caress and would hurtle his large frame at his opponent for his spear.

As I say it, the size of the guy probably plays into it as well. Seeing a huge dude fling himself across the ring to do a tackle is necessarily more impressive/scary than when lanky Edge does it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Edge's spear was more of a shoulder-tackle hug.

And yeah, Goldberg was strong enough to lift people and drive them into the canvas if they wanted it or not.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Speaking of spears, they actually just put up a video on WWE.com where they asked the talent who has the best spear. Those Goldberg ones they showed were pretty brutal. And Edge's were pretty low impact.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

So what makes a spear look good?

Whoever's selling it should look like they're folding in half.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

flashy_mcflash posted:

There are many reasons, neck integrity being the most prominent, for this but I think it has to do with how Roman just commits to that move while Edge always looked like he was hesitating or holding back a bit.

To be fair to Edge, if his neck was as hosed as it was for as long as it probably was, he probably WAS hesitating or holding back, to try to keep from paralyzing himself.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's a question regarding Jericho's return in 2007...

For months WWE ran those "save_us.222" vignettes leading up to his return. While a lot of people figured out it was Jericho, it was still supposed to be a surprise, and he denied it as much as he possibly could. Finally the night comes where the mystery behind the code will be revealed. That same Raw, they decided to do this unfunny parody(?) of the Olympic torchbearer where some guy ran around with a torch all night. Towards the end of the show, he enters the arena and is clotheslined by someone whose back is to the camera, but is very obviously Jericho, complete with his "shaky arms outstretched" pose. After that, the "save_us.222" appears on the Titantron and it's revealed that the code was in fact "save_us.y2j" and Jericho comes in to a huge pop.

Here's the thing...why the hell did they do the bit with him taking out the guy with the torch? It completely ruined the surprise and it made the whole "code breaking" reveal completely pointless, because there was no longer any suspense or mystery. Was this Triple H or someone else basically demanding that he do it so the reaction wasn't as big when he reappeared at the moment he was originally supposed to? It just seems like such an incredibly stupid move for something that wasn't the slightest bit funny.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Probably hoping people would drum up some buzz during the commercial break.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I have zero idea why they did that with Jericho. At the time I thought it was incredibly lame and ruined what could have been a cool moment.

They did the same kind of thing when Bischoff arrived at WWF. They showed him walk by Booker T backstage before coming out as Vince's big surprise, I guess to get people tuning in after the commercial break between the two segments?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
It's something they've always done and still continue to do today. It's so people will theoretically let their friends know to tune into the show. It's probably a lot easier to do in this day and age with social media and whatnot, and they still do it (when they tweeted it 5 minutes before Lesnar returned, when they played that "accidental" clip of Ric Flair WOOOO'ing at last year's Slammies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The best spears come from guys who used to play football and actually know how to tackle someone. Selling it is important, but Roman and Goldberg actually know how to hit a guy and Edge never had any impact