Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I joined a server and I'm just stuck on a black "Loading_" screen and keep hearing clicking sounds, and then it crashes.

Every server I join has this issue, or I'm just stuck on the loading Splash screen forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

The Mantis posted:

...what?

You encountered lag and bugs during "a few matches" on the first day of the open beta and you've somehow concluded that the engine is beyond repair?

Welp. See ya.

What I don't get is how this beta build doesn't run as well as a two year old game that has undergone countless optimization tweaks!! :dice:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

myshl0ng posted:

So open beta is still not out?
Have it nowhere on Origin and Battlelog says I do not have access.

Go to the store page in origin and then the demo section and you will see the beta there for download.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

myshl0ng posted:

So open beta is still not out?
Have it nowhere on Origin and Battlelog says I do not have access.

It's out. Reload Origin, click around.

edit: under demos.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Riflen posted:

I'm now reading that people on Windows 8 are not seeing nearly as many problems as everyone else. Anyone here using Win8 and getting all this stuttering?

Win 7 here. I ended up installing the nvidia beta drivers, removing the beta game files and re-installing then that got me in without stuttering or anything else.

bugs
Aug 10, 2010

Carbon Deity posted:

What I don't get is how this beta build doesn't run as well as a two year old game that has undergone countless optimization tweaks!! :dice:

The same thing was said back with bc2 > bf3. Dice likes to release really old/lovely builds but as we saw with bf3 they've probably had the worst of it worked out for months so hopefully it should be pretty good on release.

Icebreaker
Jun 28, 2013

If you see me posting outside the Star Citizen thread, be surprised! Joined for goons, stayed for the badmin protection*

*An affiliate of the Cowcaster's Superstar Modding Appreciation station

The Mantis posted:

...what?

You encountered lag and bugs during "a few matches" on the first day of the open beta and you've somehow concluded that the engine is beyond repair?

Welp. See ya.

I remember BF3 beta. It wasn't as bugged as BF4 build, but still, it was. Two years after launch, many of problems affecting gameplay are still existing, and DICE will probably never repair them. So, what should I except? Maybe I've bad luck, but I saw disappearing cars/tanks, immortal soldiers (hit boxes issue), jumping fps, appearing out of nowhere players, and many other bugs. After BC2 and BF3 I don't believe that this problems will be ever solved.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Bobnumerotres posted:

I joined a server and I'm just stuck on a black "Loading_" screen and keep hearing clicking sounds, and then it crashes.

Every server I join has this issue, or I'm just stuck on the loading Splash screen forever.

Punkbuster probably. Try to update it manually.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Riflen posted:

Punkbuster probably. Try to update it manually.

This was it for me. Once I did that it seemed to work fine.

One problem I do seem to have is that all my sound goes through my headphones like I want, but for some reason there seems to be a rattle/shake on my main computer speakers when they are disabled in the sound devices. Any clue what would cause this or is this just some freak thing?
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Apparently I thought I turned off vibrate on my controller but did not save the setting.

Krabkolash fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 4, 2013

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Icebreaker posted:

I remember BF3 beta. It wasn't as bugged as BF4 build, but still, it was.

You have this completely backwards.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

BF3 beta was ten times as broken as this, anyone who thinks otherwise has a bad memory.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Icebreaker posted:

I remember BF3 beta. It wasn't as bugged as BF4 build, but still, it was.

I'm sorry, but you don't remember the BF3 beta.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Krabkolash posted:

This was it for me. Once I did that it seemed to work fine.

One problem I do seem to have is that all my sound goes through my headphones like I want, but for some reason there seems to be a rattle/shake on my main computer speakers when they are disabled in the sound devices. Any clue what would cause this or is this just some freak thing?
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Apparently I thought I turned off vibrate on my controller but did not save the setting.

Heh, I know some neogaf posters who would have cancelled their pre-order already.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

BF3 beta was ten times as broken as this, anyone who thinks otherwise has a bad memory.

Definitely.

∙ Stretch armstrong soldiers
∙ Mole people on the upper bombsite on metro
∙ Flat out falling through the world

Hey we had some good times though.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Riflen posted:

Heh, I know some neogaf posters who would have cancelled their pre-order already.

Heh, as if I would preorder this dlc money grab reskin of the shittiest shooter series ever. I'm just in it for the free beta so I can talk about how poo poo it is. Heeeeeeeeh.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So do you get to keep the unlocks once the beta is over?

Icebreaker
Jun 28, 2013

If you see me posting outside the Star Citizen thread, be surprised! Joined for goons, stayed for the badmin protection*

*An affiliate of the Cowcaster's Superstar Modding Appreciation station
I remember this completely differently. For me, BF3 beta was really enjoying, and I didn't encounter many annoying bugs. But if you say so, maybe I'm wrong, and BF4 beta is less bugged that BF3 beta.

Icebreaker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 4, 2013

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah I get this problem too most of the time, anyone know what's goin' on and how I can fix it?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Xachariah posted:

Yeah I get this problem too most of the time, anyone know what's goin' on and how I can fix it?

Update Punkbuster.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
What potentially could cause my gun to continuously fire without me ever touching a button? I can't play on my desktop, but have no issue on my laptop.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Carbon Deity posted:

Somehow that type of post is less annoying than the "I could run BF3 on Ultra..." people who seem to believe that is some sort of reason why they should be able to run an unoptimized beta at the same settings like this is just a copy/paste of a two year old game and not its own thing.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

In the BF3 Beta arms had their own hitboxes so you could get hit by the same bullet twice if they hit you at an angle that made the bullet go through your arm and into your body.

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

What potentially could cause my gun to continuously fire without me ever touching a button? I can't play on my desktop, but have no issue on my laptop.

Do you have a gamepad plugged inn?

Lazyfire posted:

Somehow that type of post is less annoying than the "I could run BF3 on Ultra..." people who seem to believe that is some sort of reason why they should be able to run an unoptimized beta at the same settings like this is just a copy/paste of a two year old game and not its own thing.

Most gamers have very little knowledge bout how games are actually made.

vvvv It's been mentioned twice on each page for a week now that the beta is an old build, but we will still have those kind of low information posters in here until release.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 4, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Carbon Deity posted:

I was going to say this is the dumbest post but then I saw this:

Icebreaker posted:

It's more likely, that half of the problems is connected straight to the engine, which is not really good, at all. You can repair graphic glitches/animations/unbalanced weapon, but when game's running like a hot trash on powerful computers, and players're jumping from one point to another, even without lag, it means that engine is pretty screwed, and no one can do anything with it.

:ughh:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Icebreaker posted:

I remember this completely differently. For me, BF3 beta was really enjoying, and I didn't encounter many annoying bugs. But if you say so, maybe I'm wrong, and BF4 beta is less bugged that BF3 beta.

Jesus christ dude, are you using machine translation or something? Aside from being ridiculously wrong, your posts are near impossible to read.

poo poo is seriously laggy right now, though. Gonna wait until tonight to try again, maybe poo poo will get less laggy.

Also, am I the only one that has yet to get a single camo? :qq: Rank 7 already, and not a single thing.

keyframe posted:

I was going to say this is the dumbest post but then I saw this:

Pretty sure that was sarcasm in response to ice's post.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Finally played a round today. Anyone who says this is more unstable than BF3 can suck a duck, they are just completely wrong. This runs pretty well (once you get past the punk buster bullshit) and looks amazing.

There's also tons of little tweaks they put in, like ADS automatically leans you to the left or right if you're in cover. Are there issues? Definitely but it's a beta.

Shanghai is also an amazing map. You're having a firefight in a skyscraper while there's a huge tank battle going on out on the streets, APC smashes through the windows and slaughters some troops. It's just loving fun.

I do wish there was a "tighter" map though, for when you're in that mood. A lot of you goons will disagree but I really loved Metro.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So Commander Mode is active right now? Just had a game with the commander dropping UAVs, supply drops and Tomahawks :iia:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Naturally Selected posted:

Also, am I the only one that has yet to get a single camo? :qq: Rank 7 already, and not a single thing.

Did you open up your battle boxes?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Mutation posted:

So do you get to keep the unlocks once the beta is over?

Nope, everything gets reset.

I'm running on Windows 8 with the beta nvidia drivers, and have had zero problems aside from a couple of expected crashes. The BF3 beta was nowhere near this smooth or stable, so I'm sold.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Finally played a round today. Anyone who says this is more unstable than BF3 can suck a duck, they are just completely wrong. This runs pretty well (once you get past the punk buster bullshit) and looks amazing.

There's also tons of little tweaks they put in, like ADS automatically leans you to the left or right if you're in cover. Are there issues? Definitely but it's a beta.

Shanghai is also an amazing map. You're having a firefight in a skyscraper while there's a huge tank battle going on out on the streets, APC smashes through the windows and slaughters some troops. It's just loving fun.

I do wish there was a "tighter" map though, for when you're in that mood. A lot of you goons will disagree but I really loved Metro.

Try the domination mode, it's pretty close quarters.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lugaloco posted:

So Commander Mode is active right now? Just had a game with the commander dropping UAVs, supply drops and Tomahawks :iia:

DICE employees can access commander right now so some people are seeing the effects.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lugaloco posted:

Says its disabled in beta when I try to join as commander :(

Sandweed posted:

Try the domination mode, it's pretty close quarters.

Seconding this. I am having a lot of fun with domination. It is great to play when you want to unlock stuff fast or just feel like shooting poo poo without worrying about vehicles.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 4, 2013

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Can anyone confirm this observation? Whenever I had Battlelog on my second monitor--not even necessarily Battlescreen, just the Battlelog page--I got really grotesquely bad performance. But if I kept the tab open, just tabbed away to a different tab in my browser, performance would generally go back up to whatever levels. Anyone else seeing this effect?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Whoever said that the IFV TOW missile was good wasn't kidding. That thing can take out a tank before it can get off more than a single shot at you. I just played a round on a low-population server and singlehandedly kept their vehicles from getting out of the base for almost the entire round.

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013
For the folks having issues with FPS and loading, just curious what OS are you running?

Just downloaded the beta today, I played a little bit but have been running the game in spectator mode for an hour or so and I have had zero issues. Game looks beautiful.

Rig:
*Windows 8*
I7 processor (cores steady at 67 percent load)
GTX 660 auto graphics setting put me at all high and ultra (latest drivers, not the beta ones)
8 gigs of ram (game is using 4 gigs consistently)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
From what I understand DICE employees jump into servers randomly to play as commander, so that is probably what you are seeing.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Jalapeno0 posted:

For the folks having issues with FPS and loading, just curious what OS are you running?

Just downloaded the beta today, I played a little bit but have been running the game in spectator mode for an hour or so and I have had zero issues. Game looks beautiful.

Rig:
*Windows 8*
GTX 660 auto graphics setting put me at all high and ultra (latest drivers, not the beta ones)

You have the same specs as me basically, but I have twice as much ram and it's really choppy for me on Windows 7.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Jalapeno0 posted:

Rig:
*Windows 8*

Apparently the game has a nice big fps boost under win 8 which explains why people with better specs then me is getting worse performance while I enjoy silky smooth 60 fps. Best OS just got better. :smugdog:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I dunno about you guys but I'm having fun.

edit: tweaked it a little more.

:frogout:

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 4, 2013

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Supernorn posted:

I dunno about you guys but I'm having fun.

:frogout:

That is amazing. Here is the link to the profile page if anyone wants to copy it: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Supernorn/stats/335273126/pc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I am officially the worst, but I knew that going in. Why does it take so long to level up? 28,000 points from level one to two. :wtc:

How do you unlock the shotgun, is it just at a certain level? The other guns seem to require you to get a certain amount of points in a weapon class.

• Locked thread