Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

KomandosStyle posted:

You guys are noticing this now? I saw it more than a month ago.

I hate Slim Jim's, but my girlfriend is a slim jim eating machine. I have discussed with her and she is going to eat all the slim Jim's I can provide. It's a Win Win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now I wish Randy Savage was still alive and their spokesman. The commercials would be glorious.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Feels like all servers are fast veicle respawn now. It really makes the game a tedious grind against a never ending stream of amour.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Sandweed posted:

Feels like all servers are fast veicle respawn now. It really makes the game a tedious grind against a never ending stream of amour.

Welcome to the inevitable end of all battlefield games.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Looks like I am getting everything unlocked in a day :unsmith:

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

Looks like I am getting everything unlocked in a day :unsmith:

I wonder how many slim Jim's one person would have to buy in order to do that actually. 50? 100?

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Mr.Citrus posted:

If I had to make a educated guess why Windows 8 was seeing improved performance while not being the optimization focus I'd guess it's because 8 has a massively improved hyperthreading scheduler so that different threads aren't sitting around waiting on shared resources. Combine that with frostbite getting is own hyperthreading improved results in some nice fps gains. Hyperthreading improvements in frostbite were probably done to optimize the engine with next gen consoles which both use 6 logical cores afaik.

Edit: I'll watch my fps when I'm able to play to see what kind of fluctuations I get with my setup in Windows 8

Im pretty ok with the performance im getting - its nowhere near lovely, but i am interested to see what differences Win8 can actually make. When i get some solid non-beta numbers I may or may not change it. I didnt think Win8 did anything that much better and it will be interesting to see the Win8/win7/mantle numbers when the dust settles somewhat.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

numptyboy posted:

Im pretty ok with the performance im getting - its nowhere near lovely, but i am interested to see what differences Win8 can actually make. When i get some solid non-beta numbers I may or may not change it. I didnt think Win8 did anything that much better and it will be interesting to see the Win8/win7/mantle numbers when the dust settles somewhat.

8's task manager / logical core management was a insane improvement over 7. Windows 7 can barely manage 4 logical cores, while 8 can do 160 cores simultaneously I think.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Kibayasu posted:

Now I wish Randy Savage was still alive and their spokesman. The commercials would be glorious.

The Macho Man would play battlefield the right way. "Oh yeahhhhh, every kill is a no scope kill cause scopes are for jabronis!!!"

"I have seen the top of the mountain, brother, and I killed so many wookiees there... YEH!!"

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Pharmaskittle posted:

The Macho Man would play battlefield the right way. "Oh yeahhhhh, every kill is a no scope kill cause scopes are for jabronis!!!"

"I have seen the top of the mountain, brother, and I killed so many wookiees there... YEH!!"

Too bad we can't mod BF3/4 because I feel like it could use a Macho Man sound mod(what game doesn't?!) replacing all the 3d spotting call outs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7J0jYKpiY

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Captain Beans posted:

Too bad we can't mod BF3/4 because I feel like it could use a Macho Man sound mod(what game doesn't?!) replacing all the 3d spotting call outs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7J0jYKpiY

Was he wearing a garbage bag?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
So I'm getting an odd bug. Sometimes, the game will freeze and the audio will stutter. Sometimes the freeze lasts less than a second, but at worst it lasts a couple seconds (an overwhelming majority of the time it is half a second or less). It's enough to be annoying though.

Not sure exactly what triggers it, but it seems to happen when there's a "loud" noise (like if there is a tank right next to me and it shoots) or if there is a lot of noise (a multi-person firefight). I don't have any issues with Battlefield 3, and if the amount of sound-creating things in any given scenario is low there's no lag whatsoever so I don't think it's a memory/framerate issue. Should I look in to this/does anyone have an idea what's going on or should I just assume :dice:_beta.txt?

THE PWNER posted:

I'm getting a directx error whenever I alt tab or change graphics settings or anything. Like this: http://battlelog.medalofhonor.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065670087164025/

Anyone else experienced this?

I got this error + CTD when I changed my graphical settings once. Alt-tabbing doesn't give me any issues though.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 5, 2013

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm getting a directx error whenever I alt tab or change graphics settings or anything. Like this: http://battlelog.medalofhonor.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065670087164025/

Anyone else experienced this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Checked a few pages back, sorry if I missed an answer.

Every time I try to join a server, BF4 launches in a window in the background. I bring it up, and see a loading screen (and hear what I assume is loading music). Eventually this changes to the sounds of gunfire and other ambience, but nothing else happens, except sometimes it CTDs. Ideas? I've seen people post "update PB" but the only instructions I've seen are for BF3.

(edit) Finally connected this time, but some of the video options aren't working, it seems--Borderless fullscreen mode is decidedly not borderless.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Checked a few pages back, sorry if I missed an answer.

Every time I try to join a server, BF4 launches in a window in the background. I bring it up, and see a loading screen (and hear what I assume is loading music). Eventually this changes to the sounds of gunfire, but nothing else happens, except sometimes it CTDs. Ideas? I've seen people post "update PB" but the only instructions I've seen are for BF3.

Download pbsetup.exe from the PunkBuster website and add Battlefield 4 to the list. Then update.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Naturally Selected posted:

Has he said anything about wire-guided missiles locking on to lasered targets? If anything, I'd figure that was the major oversight. RPGs could lock to tracers in BC2, too, so we'll see how it shakes out-a warning tone and the damage reduction is a good idea, at least.

They haven't said anything about the other launchers yet, but a big point of contention in the community right now seems to be the fact that out of the 7 rocket launchers in this game, 6 of them can effortlessly lock on to lased targets. Hard to say what is an oversight/bug/going to be changed at this time (other then what Dice has already confirmed as broken, like the lack of incoming RPG tone, and OHK damage), but honestly after the introduction of pure crutch lock on weapons in BF3 it was easy to the see the direction they were taking for the series. The most ironic part I suppose is that Dice seems to be pushing even harder for the 'competitive' community to get into this game, while introducing even more mechanics and weapons that make it hard for the competitive community to get behind.

Oh and the bit about RPGs locking on to tracer darts in BC2 isn't really the same thing, since the tracer dart required a skilled player to stick the slow moving dart to the target in the first place, and not just stare into a wundercam for half a second for the lock.

edit:vvv yeah, it's very dumb, but Dice had confirmed it was an oversight and not intentional, and will be fixed in the main game

Someguy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 5, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's also ridiculous that you don't get a missile tracking tone for RPGs. So am I supposed to just deploy flares and magically not get lased by the million recons running around?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Someguy posted:

They haven't said anything about the other launchers yet, but a big point of contention in the community right now seems to be the fact that out of the 7 rocket launchers in this game, 6 of them can effortlessly lock on to lased targets. Hard to say what is an oversight/bug/going to be changed at this time (other then what Dice has already confirmed as broken, like the lack of incoming RPG tone, and OHK damage), but honestly after the introduction of pure crutch lock on weapons in BF3 it was easy to the see the direction they were taking for the series. The most ironic part I suppose is that Dice seems to be pushing even harder for the 'competitive' community to get into this game, while introducing even more mechanics and weapons that make it hard for the competitive community to get behind.

Oh and the bit about RPGs locking on to tracer darts in BC2 isn't really the same thing, since the tracer dart required a skilled player to stick the slow moving dart to the target in the first place, and not just stare into a wundercam for half a second for the lock.

edit:vvv yeah, it's very dumb, but Dice had confirmed it was an oversight and not intentional, and will be fixed in the main game

Unlike the SOFLAM though you have to maintain LoS with the target to keep the lock on

Which is trivial for a coordinated team to do, but over here in pubbie land, I'll be on top of a skyscraper with two other engineers painting a GD transport heli and no one will take the bait

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

It's also ridiculous that you don't get a missile tracking tone for RPGs. So am I supposed to just deploy flares and magically not get lased by the million recons running around?

Flare lock completion, fly to cover, rinse repeat.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Welsper posted:

Flare lock completion, fly to cover, rinse repeat.

Flare cool down meaning you hide behind whatever cover that isn't on every map for half a minute before you can pop out to instantly be locked again.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

The difference between Coyote RDS vs. Reflex RDS

I was lucky and got the Coyote on my first battlepack during the beta.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

Flare cool down meaning you hide behind whatever cover that isn't on every map for half a minute before you can pop out to instantly be locked again.

There's a lock direction indicator for a reason.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Umberger posted:

I got this error + CTD when I changed my graphical settings once. Alt-tabbing doesn't give me any issues though.

It randomly fixed itself. After playing for a bit though, I get a lot of random stutter it seems - every couple of minutes my 100+fps goes down to 1-5 for a couple of seconds. It's a shame because I'm actually enthusiastic to play a battlefield game this time around!

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Ularg posted:

Basically. The people that think this is still somehow 'balanced' (despite the fact that Dice has already confirmed it is broken and will be changed) are the same ones that think you should spend more time cowering in fear then dealing damage on the Battlefield with your force multiplier. Most of these people also seem to want Battlefield to become another infantry only game for some reason, as if the market wasn't saturated with enough of those games already.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Someguy posted:

Basically. The people that think this is still somehow 'balanced' (despite the fact that Dice has already confirmed it is broken and will be changed) are the same ones that think you should spend more time cowering in fear then dealing damage on the Battlefield with your force multiplier. Most of these people also seem to want Battlefield to become another infantry only game for some reason, as if the market wasn't saturated with enough of those games already.

:smug:

The air paradigm has changed, you should do your best to change with it. You've been given information by way of a flare cool-down timer, a lock direction indicator, and a map with with uncountable line-of-sight breaks.

If you're not using all of these things to your advantage, then you will keep getting killed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I got a couple rounds in today. I had to reinstall punkbuster, but otherwise smooth sailing and a small jump in CPU temp to run everything on a standard 3570 and HD 7950. Game looks real good on ultra by all accounts and played real smooth.

I am so used to the old RPG trajectory I missed a few shots I shouldn't have and made more that I shouldn't have so I guess some work is in order there. The sniper problem appears to be as real as everyone said, but hey, I got to kill a guy by shooting the glass pane out from under him on a roof so whatever.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is everyone else's BF4 crashing after like 1.5-2 matches?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ularg posted:

Don't worry about Snipers actually lasering (lasing?) stuff.

I was in a 5-man squad as an engineer with four (FOUR) snipers and none of them bothered to paint a target ONCE. I was asking very politely and even explained that they get quite some points for it and ask if they didn't know how to use the PLD, but nooo, they sat at the top of C and plinked away at doritos all day long.
Even when both enemy helos started circling the upper deck and I begged them to tag it to get them out of our hair more easily then dumbfiring my limited stock of rockets (because hey, gently caress ammo boxes), they KEPT SNIPING AT THE HELOS.

That's when I must have passed out from popping a bloodvessel.

Unrelated: Missions and Geo-Leaderboards seem to be up and running in Battlelog.
Both look pretty neat. Missions are objective based competitions (most kills, weapon or vehicle kills, commander score etc.) between you and up to 4 friends and run for 48 hours with 1, 3, 5 or unlimited attempts during that time period.

The Leaderboards are of course free of cheaters, as per usual.
Someone opened their lvl10 gold battlepack 3 days ago (a day after his Rankup 1 pack) and is sitting at 2.3 million points and a lofty 845 SPM... :rolleyes::fh:

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 5, 2013

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

mcbexx posted:

Don't worry about Snipers actually lasering (lasing?) stuff.

I was in a 5-man squad as an engineer with four (FOUR) snipers and none of them bothered to paint a target ONCE. I was asking very politely and even explained that they get quite some points for it and ask if they didn't know how to use the PLD, but nooo, they sat at the top of C and plinked away at doritos all day long.
Even when both enemy helos started circling the upper deck and I begged them to tag it to get them out of our hair more easily then dumbfiring my limited stock of rockets (because hey, gently caress ammo boxes), they KEPT SNIPING AT THE HELOS.

That's when I must have passed out from popping a bloodvessel.

Unrelated: Missions and Geo-Leaderboards seem to be up and running in Battlelog.
Both look pretty neat.

Like I posted above, it's surprisingly difficult getting engineers to even launch at the painted targets.

Pubbies just have poo poo for situational awareness, is I think the takeaway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is it just me or is the first shotgun terrible? It gets like seven shots as a primary weapon and has awful range, even for a shotgun. The MASS has better range, even. Then you run out (because ammo kits literally give you one shot before they run out because of the way the gun works) and you're stuck with a pistol. And then you need 8000 points with it to unlock the 870. :sigh:

The duckbill is super weird.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Welsper posted:

The air paradigm has changed, you should do your best to change with it. You've been given information by way of a flare cool-down timer, a lock direction indicator, and a map with with uncountable line-of-sight breaks.

If you're not using all of these things to your advantage, then you will keep getting killed.

So based on this one map you think it is fine. :allears: When I've said nothing about how helicopters fly, deal with damage or deal damage, all I mentioned was it would be nice that an RPG would give a tracking tone since Stinger missiles give a tracking tone. A quick thing, the SOFLAM is where you are getting the lock on indicator from. You could be having RPGs fly at your from a million directions and you can't tell they are flying at all.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Welsper posted:

We've already covered most of the reasons why this is a bad gameplay mechanic and I'm not going to reiterate them, but ultimately you're arguing for something that Dice has already acknowledged is broken and will be changed.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

So based on this one map you think it is fine. :allears: When I've said nothing about how helicopters fly, deal with damage or deal damage, all I mentioned was it would be nice that an RPG would give a tracking tone since Stinger missiles give a tracking tone. A quick thing, the SOFLAM is where you are getting the lock on indicator from. You could be having RPGs fly at your from a million directions and you can't tell they are flying at all.

But if the laser can't designate you, then how will the RPGs lock?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Welsper posted:

But if the laser can't designate you, then how will the RPGs lock?

Once they're in the air it doesn't matter if the SOFLAM keeps a lock.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

Once they're in the air it doesn't matter if the SOFLAM keeps a lock.

Then don't get lased for long enough for an RPG to complete a lock, simple.

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.
Clicked and shamelessly copied/used. Thank you friend :smuggo:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

With any luck they'll gently caress up and let me lock onto SOFLAM targets, too.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So for some reason, when I load into battlelog, Firefox slows to a crawl and it loads very slowly. Anybody else experiencing this?

it shriveled up fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 5, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

With any luck they'll gently caress up and let me lock onto SOFLAM targets, too.

TOW missiles seem to have this behaviour in beta, so you may indeed be lucky.

e:

Welsper fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Chronojam posted:

TOW missiles can lock onto SOFLAM targets if that is what you mean.

• Locked thread