Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Jsor posted:

(Of course, I've long resigned myself to using sidequest guides in JRPGs because I just take it as a given that I'll need it to resolve at least one bullshit sidequest. So I'm probably not as worked up about it as I could be).

I don't understand why anyone would ever play these sorts of games without such a guide open besides them. It makes life way less irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

First time playthroughs meaning: Nah I'll worry about that when I feel like a completionist and want all the items and costumes.

Which is a fine way to look at these games. Abyss is the best example of 'Ignore sidequests' because those are way too hard to find.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:ohdear: She found me...

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Can't help but notice that email was already read...

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kuvo posted:

Can't help but notice that email was already read...

He forwarded it to Repede.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Dear Geop,

I heard you like rocks, I also enjoy rocks but have never seen any. I read about them a lot in my books. What is your favorite rock? I like all rocks having never seen one. Being trapped in this castle all of my live makes me very sad. Could you send me some rocks? They don't even have to be pretty ones. I'd take a picture of some rocks too!

Sincerely,
Estelle

PS if you see Flynn could you tell him to come back to the castle.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 8, 2013

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

LeafyOrb posted:

Dear Geop,

I heard you like rocks, I also enjoy rocks but have never seen any. I read about them a lot in my books. What is your favorite rock? I like all rocks having never seen one. Being trapped in this castle all of my live makes me very sad. Could you send me some rocks? They don't even have to be pretty ones. I'd take a picture of some rocks too!

Sincerely,
Estelle

PS if you see Flynn could you tell him to come back to the castle.

They're not rocks, they're minerals.

Having played this game before multiple times with New Game+, I'm finding it interesting how I don't even remember that last dungeon from when I first played. Music ain't too bad though.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: Updates :frogsiren:

Ep 12: Non-stop Ticket on the Train of Death! Youtube

Someone wrote that line.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That was loving great.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
So you did the next boss fight with one life bottle?

Uh, hope you had fun with that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was going to make an FF6 joke before watching the video, but of course you guys were on that in seconds.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Playing catchup :v:

Edit:

I can't unsee the "nooo" here:

Geop fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 9, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Rita didn't cast any spells because the default AI options tell characters to keep at least 25% of their TP at all times. Go over to Strategy and change it, it's dumb. (press X on a strategy to actually see and edit what the strategy is doing)

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I think it's okay for regular battles, but boss battles definitely should just be an all out kind of thing. You can create your own strategies and assign them to a d-pad direction just so you don't have to fiddle with the default one constantly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
No no the correct way to play Tales games is leave it on the default AI patterns and get mad when characters don't do things you want.

If you do ever bother with the Strategy menu I suggest changing the starting position of whichever character Minifoo plans to use because the enemies in the back have a habit of ignoring you and going straight for Rita or Estelle if there's more than like, two of them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So, has Estelle actually mentioned who she is yet? She's pretty obviously like a space princess or something else stupid like that, but I can't remember her, or any of the knights chasing her, actually mentioning anything. Did Yuri seriously just nab some chick from a castle, who says she knows his friend, and not ask anything about her?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

WhiffleballDude posted:

No no the correct way to play Tales games is leave it on the default AI patterns and get mad when characters don't do things you want.

If you do ever bother with the Strategy menu I suggest changing the starting position of whichever character Minifoo plans to use because the enemies in the back have a habit of ignoring you and going straight for Rita or Estelle if there's more than like, two of them.

The strategy settings are more just suggestions anyway, setting Estelle to heal basically means she has a 50/50 chance to get around to healing whenever she's done pow hammering things or standing around like an idiot.

Alternatively casters just run up and use melee artes regardless of what you tell them. Why did this game decide it was a good idea to give casters melee artes anyway?

Edit: turning them off doesn't stop characters from running up to bosses like an idiot though.

Wait like 2 episodes, also Yuri isn't as dumb as you think.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2013

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

LeafyOrb posted:

The strategy settings are more just suggestions anyway, setting Estelle to heal basically means she has a 50/50 chance to get around to healing whenever she's done pow hammering things or standing around like an idiot.

Alternatively casters just run up and use melee artes regardless of what you tell them. Why did this game decide it was a good idea to give casters melee artes anyway?

You can turn off specific artes so AI characters never use them.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
... "Casual Ear-Grabber"?

Guys, I think that guy that stands out front of the shop is the author of the fine journalistic print source, "Coffee News". :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

LeafyOrb posted:

Edit: turning them off doesn't stop characters from running up to bosses like an idiot though.

Strategy -> Action -> Artes Only.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
That sure is a wanted poster.

:effort:

Low-hanging fruit (and a repeat of a joke explored in the Tales of Symphonia Let's Play)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Clean image of the wanted poster, can someone decipher what the text in the middle is?

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Clean image of the wanted poster, can someone decipher what the text in the middle is?

At first I tried to make it out myself which didn't go so well, so I tried googling it and found this. Everything about that poster is just :effort:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Derpes posted:

At first I tried to make it out myself which didn't go so well, so I tried googling it and found this. Everything about that poster is just :effort:

lol just figured this out myself. Figures someone would beat me to it. That owns

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Just blitzed through the LP, but I thought I'd ask: The bookstore mentioned in episode 8 wouldn't happen to be Kinokuniya, would it?

Because you best not be bad-mouthing Kinokuniya. Great place to hang out after picking up some lunch at Uwajimaya.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Posting this from my phone because I'm going camping

:frogsiren: Updates :frogsiren:

Ep 13: Salsa Drawer Youtube

Here's hoping I don't get eaten by an eggbear

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 15, 2013

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Kuvo posted:

Posting this from my phone because I'm going camping

Here's hoping I don't get eaten by an eggbear

Be sure to bring a dog to cook sandwiches for you! :smugdog:

By the by, if you're controlling Rita and you want an easier time making her face her target, set her to semi-auto.
She'll never move if she's casting a spell but she'll always turn to face the enemy.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 11, 2013

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If I remember correctly, the reason that boss is such bullshit is because, when you played the demo, the party was around level 25 in order to let players dick around with a larger array of artes. Because of that, they had to buff the boss so that he was still a challenge to a higher level party. When they actually released the finished game, however, they forgot to bump his level back down, so that boss is meant for a party that's over twice your current level. :v: So don't feel too bad for wiping several times, even on easy.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Basically what Sydin said; Gattuso is a level 20 enemy meant to be fought in the demo with a party of level 20-25 or so characters. In the actual game, he's still 20, but the average/expected level of the player by now is 15-16,so he's much harder than he should be. You guys avoiding almost every encounter you could didn't help though.

What especially got me the first time was thinking I couldn't leave the area to buy supplies, but I'm pretty sure you actually can. As such though, I fought that thing for far too long with little to no healing items.

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 11, 2013

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Sydin posted:

If I remember correctly, the reason that boss is such bullshit is because, when you played the demo, the party was around level 25 in order to let players dick around with a larger array of artes. Because of that, they had to buff the boss so that he was still a challenge to a higher level party. When they actually released the finished game, however, they forgot to bump his level back down, so that boss is meant for a party that's over twice your current level. :v: So don't feel too bad for wiping several times, even on easy.

It's actually not that bad if you just guard/avoid his charge and roar attacks. He's the Capra Demon of Vesperia.

Also Mini if you're gonna play Rita, put it on Semi-Auto, it will help you out a lot with targeting.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Rita said "Dog's almost dead!"

Rita is truly the best character.

aerether
Nov 3, 2008
College Slice

Vicas posted:

lol just figured this out myself. Figures someone would beat me to it. That owns

The Vesperia alphabet is a stylized version of the Roman alphabet. You can read it if you turn it sideways (rotate each character clockwise roughly 120-130 degrees) and squint.

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013

Sgt Thud posted:

Basically what Sydin said; Gattuso is a level 20 enemy meant to be fought in the demo with a party of level 20-25 or so characters. In the actual game, he's still 20, but the average/expected level of the player by now is 15-16,so he's much harder than he should be. You guys avoiding almost every encounter you could didn't help though.

What especially got me the first time was thinking I couldn't leave the area to buy supplies, but I'm pretty sure you actually can. As such though, I fought that thing for far too long with little to no healing items.

There is a way to go back to get supplies. When you exit the wooded area of Ehmead Hill, hug the uppermost part of the road all the way to the exit. Then you can go back to Halure and Leblanc and his goons will be gone.

Gattuso is a challenging boss and requires life bottles and orange gels. The easiest way is to either have Rita spam fire balls as an AI and use Repede to just run around and have him chase you, or control Rita and spam fire ball.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Thanks to this lp, I've come to terms with the fact that, even when trying to do well, people can just be bad at videogames. Even if they've already beaten a game of the series.
I've also come to terms with the fact that I can enjoy lps where the players are bad, especially if there's commentary added by people who know about the game.

Now I want to do a New Game Hard run just for the fights, I don't even remember this fight being hard. Annoying to do the Secret Mission, sure, not hard.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Sgt Thud posted:

Basically what Sydin said; Gattuso is a level 20 enemy meant to be fought in the demo with a party of level 20-25 or so characters. In the actual game, he's still 20, but the average/expected level of the player by now is 15-16,so he's much harder than he should be.

Huh. I always wondered why that guy always mopped the floor with me multiple times during my first playthrough. I always felt as though it was me just being a bad player, even with utilizing the boss gimmick. :smith:

Thanks for elaborating on that.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

ShadowFox1001 posted:

There is a way to go back to get supplies. When you exit the wooded area of Ehmead Hill, hug the uppermost part of the road all the way to the exit. Then you can go back to Halure and Leblanc and his goons will be gone.

Gattuso is a challenging boss and requires life bottles and orange gels. The easiest way is to either have Rita spam fire balls as an AI and use Repede to just run around and have him chase you, or control Rita and spam fire ball.

Oh yeah I figured out you could leave later, but my first run was frustrating because of it. It's nice that they made him weak to fire too, since Yuri I believe can have his fire based arte by now as well as Rita fireball spam. He's still a bitch when he goes overlimit on you and starts running around at 80 mph tackling your casters constantly.

What I always found funny was his tendency to sometimes try and hit someone next to a flower, get stunned, then immediately do it again over and over. Can sometimes make the fight easy if his AI decides to be stupid.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
So episode 13 is Geop's revenge for all those times he got killed during Dark Souls?

Avskum fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 14, 2013

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who knows Recover by this point? Also I think you guys missed Item Thrower once it became available for Repede.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 13, 2013

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
You don't gently caress* with Gattuso.

*Rule do not apply with Zamparini.

ruttivendolo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If you're going to be dodging fights so you can laugh at more cutscenes, you might as well play the game in Easy Mode.

• Locked thread