Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1 D
2 J
3 L
4 O
5 T
6 The skull
I would also vote for the tail but it probably won't look any different from a normal one once it rots away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1.F If we weren't so tired we'd probably be pissed. But we are, so...

2. I Hug Snarls. Pet Snarls. Love Snarls.

3. K Sushi.

4. O Unless Az gives us the OK to eat the goat, then go for it instead.

1. Call Azzazel and tell him how we destroyed those that would prey on his goats. Ask how he wishes us to dispose of the goat's bones and see if we can score some medicine for Snarls (and us if that poo poo was poisoned) & help. It ain't cheating if we were clever enough to make friends with the guy AND protect his territory. Also we're kind of, you know, in pretty terrible shape and part of being a man is making nice with the supernatural.

Plus, we don't want Azz to get the wrong idea and think we killed Mr. Goat ourselves.

2. Clean our wounds with whatever water we can find. Check Snarls for injury and clean any wounds he may have sustained too.

3. Save the claws, eye, and spikes.

EDIT: Edited to clarify that I'd like to call Azz before we do anything else. Well, besides hugging Snarls maybe. :3:

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1C
2I
3M
4N
5T
: We didn't kill the goat so making an offering of it is pointless. Include the third eye in the jackal offering.

6:

Let's do the following once we've eaten tonight:

Try to skin the jackal it as best we can so we can at least make a bindle or something out of the hide. Maybe we can use one the jackal's claws as a makeshift knife.

Take off the tail to use as a club, or at least the spines to add to a club if the tail isn't clubby enough. Keep the claws and teeth too.

Clean and dry the intestines to make cordage.

Ask Snarls to lick our wounds, it's about the best we can do right now to treat them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

1: D - We will be a man among men.
2: I - Hug the dog.
3: M - As tempting as it is, we don't want to inject that much monster-jackal-saliva.
4: N - Aren't Jackals bad eating?
5: XY - El won't mind. Maybe throw the eye in too.
6: The tail. Smoke it and see how it preserves. If the eye is more like a jewel than an eye, keep that too. Skinning the jackal for leather sounds good.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Q for Snarls: How's my back? Can you smell anything besides blood (namely venom)?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
1) D
2) I
3) L
4) O
5) T

6) The jackal skull with the third eye hole in it.
Pluck some quills from the tail carefully.
Skin the jackal for a blanket, the thing is 3 feet tall.
Attempt to make a viable club out of the goat skull and a thigh bone, they were designed to hit things after all.
Ribs from the jackal and the goat both can be good spearheads for fishing once we reach the coast.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

To answer the initial question:

The third eye and it's head, beyond a broken neck, are undamaged. The eye seems to be a normal squishy eye, albeit blood red. It is not glowing or hot to the touch.

You could look for a sharp rock to try to help cut the meat, or try breaking one. It is no stone knife, but it may serve for a hasty job.

The spiked tail looks like a jackal or dogs tail with very sharp quill, fixed in place which do not seem to detach, like very hard cactus barbs. They are all clustered together at the very end of the tail.

With the tools you have on hand, or rather the lack thereof and your complete inexperience in handling animal hides, skinning it into into a neat pelt is out of the question. You have never butchered a creature either but with a sharp rock, you will fumble your way through to dinner.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
1. How do you feel about the fact you are currently undergoing hardships that you know pretty much no else has to deal with?
F. Who gives a gently caress about those assholes.

2. You...
I.

3. Dinner time. Whatever it is you will now eat, you will eat...
K. I am STARVING! I eat it raw. Feed our friend the Hunger.

4. I am going to eat what I can now and try to smoke the rest over the night. I am going to eat...
O. The jackal. gently caress that guy. Eat his heart. "Hey Az, you want the goat?"

5. Are you going to make an offering of some of the meat to El?
P. I'm still not convinced this el character exists.

Hang onto the tastiest looking bits. In our stomach.

We should also let out a Tarzan like scream of rage, hunger and misery. So that everything else around here knows who's in town. The goat carcasses our ours now.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1C.

2I.

3L.

4N.

5T.

We can't possibly carry two whole carcasses with us, so there's no point in not leaving behind an offering to El.

6. The tail will make us a nice impromptu whip, and its skull can find a nice place in El's temple. The bottom teeth could possibly be used as a makeshift knife.

Dio, is there any indication that this particular goat might have been a part of a larger flock? (Nearby goat droppings, partially eaten vegetation, etc). Also, how fresh is the goat carcass? If there's a larger flock nearby, we should at least consider changing our destination.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

1. How do you feel about the fact you are currently undergoing hardships that you know pretty much no else has to deal with?
G. Something else. Fill in. -- I'm made to be a goddamn hero, not a slave or a babysitter. If this is what it takes to prove that to the king, then bring on the jackals. Bring on everything.

HLN

W. A little meat from the jackal (like a leg or something)

6. What if any bits and pieces from the monstrous jackal, do you want to hang onto? Fill in. You can try to hold onto the whole thing or specific pieces, but you have to fill it in. This one has too many options for multiple choice.
Jackal teeth and spines. I had a necklace once...

...and anything else you want to do which is relevant to your current situation right now, fill in.
Let's ask Snarles if either animal seems not-edible. (Spoiled goat/poisoned jackal)

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
1) D
2) J
3) L
4) N
5) T

We're going to prove we are a man. Too many things to do, no time to waste being tired or drained. Eat a little bit and cook the rest. Eat the goat, and give the best of the jackal to El.

For 6, as best we can save the skull, third eye, teeth, and tail. Skull and eye as trophies, the teeth to maybe somehow make a small knife sooner or later, worst case a necklace, and the tail try to make some sort of weapon out of - depending on if the barbs are fused bone or what, make a whip or flail by binding it to a branch or something. A makeshift weapon is better than no weapon.

Also, with our limited skills try to determine if the jackal was posionous - try to look for any poison sacs or anything in him, or ask Snarls if our wounds look infected. If we think he's posionous, don't eat him.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 15, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

dyzzy posted:

Q for Snarls: How's my back? Can you smell anything besides blood (namely venom)?
You lift your garment and Snarl licks your back. He shakes his head and by the arc of his eyebrows and body language know he is fairly sure, but not totally sure in his answer. He sniffs the carcass.

Bark bark! He does not smell any poison.

falcon2424 posted:

Let's ask Snarles if either animal seems not-edible. (Spoiled goat/poisoned jackal)
Bark bark! Edible.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Dio, is there any indication that this particular goat might have been a part of a larger flock? (Nearby goat droppings, partially eaten vegetation, etc). Also, how fresh is the goat carcass? If there's a larger flock nearby, we should at least consider changing our destination.
There are no obvious signs. You ask Snarls if he smells anymore nearby, he shakes his head.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
We definitely need to call up Azzazel while we snack on the Jackal. This is likely a test, and he told us not to do anything to his goats. We didn't kill it, but if we eat it, he will likely be just as annoyed. He turned out to be fair, so let's return the favor.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

We definitely need to call up Azzazel while we snack on the Jackal. This is likely a test, and he told us not to do anything to his goats. We didn't kill it, but if we eat it, he will likely be just as annoyed. He turned out to be fair, so let's return the favor.

This is a really good point and I second it.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

ShotgunWillie posted:

Yeah, I voted to call Azz, but after we started chowing down. I'm going to change that up to make it clear we should call Azz first.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

FoxTerrier posted:

1.F If we weren't so tired we'd probably be pissed. But we are, so...

2. I Hug Snarls. Pet Snarls. Love Snarls.

3. K Sushi.

4. O Unless Az gives us the OK to eat the goat, then go for it instead.

1. Call Azzazel and tell him how we destroyed those that would prey on his goats. Ask how he wishes us to dispose of the goat's bones and see if we can score some medicine for Snarls (and us if that poo poo was poisoned) & help. It ain't cheating if we were clever enough to make friends with the guy AND protect his territory. Also we're kind of, you know, in pretty terrible shape and part of being a man is making nice with the supernatural.

Plus, we don't want Azz to get the wrong idea and think we killed Mr. Goat ourselves.

2. Clean our wounds with whatever water we can find. Check Snarls for injury and clean any wounds he may have sustained too.

3. Save the claws, eye, and spikes.

EDIT: Edited to clarify that I'd like to call Azz before we do anything else. Well, besides hugging Snarls maybe. :3:

Seconding this, but adding teeth and/or the skull to option 3.2.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1. E I want to prove myself to El!
2. J You have things to do. You can rest later.
3. M I struggle through my immense hunger and fatigue and wait to cook the meat till I eat. I hope I don't pass out from exhaustion while I cook, which I may at this point.
4. N The goat carcass.
5. S Yes. The best meat from the goat.
6. Ribs and Jawbone could make good weapons. Skull(third eye), Tail(see if the spikes are bones or not as decomposable for some weapon/tool use) and Teeth.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
1: G: Proud. I'm proud that I've been given the chance to do this 'the right way', and proud that Tudiya thought I was up to it.
2: I: We've got a second, catch our breath, bro-fist Snarls.
3: L: M's probably the smarter option, but we're starving here, can't resist just a bite or two, to keep us together.
4: N: Meh.
5: U: Why not, it's not like we'll starve on the 'second best' meat; we know the traditions, and if there's ever been a time to keep to them, it's probably now, on this test.
6: The head and tail. Head will probably decompose a bunch, but we'll be able to keep the skull at least, with its three sockets, and hopefully the eye will remain intact. Tail should be easy enough, and could possibly serve as a makeshift weapon.

Edit: Oh, and that neck-snapping bit was pretty impressive. Hm.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
1. D: We will prove ourselves as men or die trying.
2. I: Alright. Let's---huff---regroup here---wheeze---and figure out what we're going to do next. Naw Snarls---hurrf---I'm fine, you're a good puppy, yes you are
3. L: We need some of that meat right now. But put most of the meat to cook first.
4. Call Azzazel. Ask if we have his permission to eat a goat slain by another, as long as we do it honor. If yes, N and also cook up the jackal meat to save for later. If no or if he doesn't come, just O.
5. U: El gets the first offering.
6. The jackal's three-eyed skull

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1 D
2 I
3 L
4 T
5 Head, Tail, Paws.

Call up Azz first and talk about the goat.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah, I voted to call Azz, but after we started chowing down. I'm going to change that up to make it clear we should call Azz first.

I voted to eat goat meat first. But, now that Snarls has cleared the monster as not-poison, I'm happy to eat some monster-bits first if people are worried about Azz/want to call Azz.

(That said, I suspect he just likes goats the way some people like cats. So the warning was more "don't be a dick to these cool animals" than "Touch not the goats! For I am the protector of goats!")

Either way, maybe monster-blood will give us powers.
--
One more tiny change. Let's get the claws too. All the pointy bits for our pointy-bit necklace.

If we weave in some pearls, I think we're a good ways towards a really cool offering. Pearls = $$$ to impress priests. Pointy bits = coolness for warriors.

And the fact that we had to make this kill represents a pretty big sacrifice.

We only got here because we're undertaking a trial for a culture that isn't our own, for a god that's not really our own. And we've made some pretty huge sacrifices to do it the Right Way.

We could have bailed early and just stolen from farms or something. That would have been easy. We could have stolen water from a dying dude, that would have helped a little. We had the chance to slack off for the whole month. We even could have bought secrets about our family. But we turned all that down.

So now we're here, cold, hungry, and having to kill monster-jackals with our god-drat bare hands.

The trophies themselves aren't a sacrifice. But they represent the whole hell of a lot we had to sacrifice to even get into a position this bad.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

EAT THE MONSTER HEART NOW. TAKE ITS BARBS AND CUT OPEN ITS BELLY RIP OUT THE HEART AND EAT IT RAW!!!!

After that we can cook the goat, i say we take the jackal skull and tail to bring as an offering. gently caress walking all the way to zepath with a meter tall jackal corpse.

But mostly DEVOUR ITS HEART.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

1.D
2.I
3.M
4.O
5.T

The Spine with tail included, battlestaff from hell, if its rigid enough, a flail if its not.

e: sacrificing the third eye\skull to EL would seem to be the most natural choice

Daned fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yes. Share the heart and liver with Snarls :black101:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. E
2. I
3. L
4. N
5. T
6. Spine tail and head.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B
2. I
3. L
4. N
5. Z - gently caress El. I didn't see him helping us out. Know who I saw there? Snarls. He had our back. Let him have dibs on the tastiest bit.
6. Tail and head

Also: If we still have our torch, I vote we try to cauterize our wounds somehow, before they get a chance to get hosed up.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
F.
G. it is what it is and we just slew a bona fide beastie!

2. You...
RAWR!!! Then....
I.
J.

3. Dinner time. Whatever it is you will now eat, you will eat...
L.
We might want to move away from the kill site

4. I am going to eat what I can now and try to smoke the rest over the night. I am going to eat...
O. The jackal.
Honor the goat as one of Azzazel's, whether it was dead or not, if Snarls feels the Jackal isn't poisonous.

T. Yes. The best meat from the jackal.
Goat is Azz's and we didn't kill it.

6. What if any bits and pieces from the monstrous jackal, do you want to hang onto? Fill in. You can try to hold onto the whole thing or specific pieces, but you have to fill it in. This one has too many options for multiple choice.

Tail spikes, claws and skull of the Jackal. Edit: femurs from the Jackal for weapon hafts.

If the goat has horns see if we can take those, observance to Azz and such ( we might be able to take a shot at making a bow).

If we can fashion a stone knife whatever we can get of the pelt in tact either to wear or use strips of to fashion things.

Maybe a brief exploration of the skull for anything looking flammable.

After making our sacrifice and eating we might want to use leather strips and a stout stick to fashion a club from the tail spikes. The spikes might also make good spear tips or arrow heads.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 15, 2013

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

1. D
2. I & J "Good job, boy." <Rub belly>
3. L Give Snarls a bit while we wait, or if he wants his raw, that's fine too. We can wait a little bit.
4. O
5. W I'm sure he'd understand and respect our sacrifice. Also ask out loud if Azzazz wants this goat and wait a bit before we start cooking it. If he comes later and is shocked/mad, it's his fault since we called like he wanted and waited a bit to eat it first.
6. That tail and skull. See if the third eye is salvageable. I know we have no experience with skinning anything at all, but I'd like to think we can cut that skin for a large enough patch for at least a small pouch, nothing fancy, but something we could tie up with a thinner piece of leather to hold onto a few small objects we find on the way. If the goat has horns take those to try and scrape out an ok knife with a sharp rock.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Whatever we pick, I'd just like to point out we don't have to sacrifice any of the goat. The goat is not our kill, it is the jackal's or something else. We just killed the jackal monster, and being a monster might actually have differing traditions regarding it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Do we really want to call Azz over? What if we just killed his dog, or something like that?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1 D

2 H

3 L

4 N

5 T

6 Skull and tail.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We don't need to call Azz. He didn't say anything about killing goats iirc. He said don't eat them and be nice to them though. He said it would be good if we could make one very happy?

To review:
  • We successfully bartered stories with the notorious Azz. Most people don't even get that far these days apparently, and probably quite few don't get past that.
  • We apparently called fire, whether directly, channeling or through some intervention.
  • We have managed to keep that fire going.
  • We had a vision (admittedly because we were too stupid to sit down).
  • We have slain a legitimate monster.
  • In doing so we have found both food and some potentially useful bits, avenged one of Azz's goats, procured an immediate offering to El (should we so decide) and possibly a temple offering.
  • Snarls!

We will need more water soon.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 15, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I forgot what the rule on eating monsters was. For now

1: C
2: I
3: M
4: N
5: Q
6: The skull, The eyes, The tail

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If anyone has the patience to do a spreadsheet count the odds of another update tonight when I get home are high. If not, we may be delayed a bit while I tally it all myself. We need a spreadsheet for this one, not a raw count, due to the overlapping nature of some of the choices.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
1)D
2)I
3)L
4)O
5)P
6)Keep the lower jaw/skull (so the teeth), keep the tail/spine, and the claws. If we can fashion some kind of club (the weapon our hero should have trained with) we should, using the thigh bone + skull + sinew/leather from the beast. We can even try breaking a thigh bone off at the top so that there is a sharp pointy bit and using it as a short spear. Definitely tear its hide off best we can, a pouch would be useful, as someone recommended, but also a blanket/cape. I think we shouldn't leave the carcass until we have picked clean everything we can use.

As someone else said, goat horns would be useful too.

Diogines, how far are we from the coast?

Edit: Actually, how about seeing if we can summon Azz and trade him the goat for a rudimentary lesson in animal cleaning?

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 15, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Eh, I have no desire to do actual work right now. I think I have time to count the votes, or at least get things started.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am teaching until pretty late today for a friend so can't do a sheet until tonight earliest.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

Eh, I have no desire to do actual work right now. I think I have time to count the votes, or at least get things started.

You are a gentlelady and a scholar, FoxTerrier.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

As to your distance from the coast, Tudiya said "about two weeks" when he parted. You've been going west for 3 days.

You have a lot of cactus-piss drinking and roadkill-eating left to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1 - B
2 - J
3 - K
4 - O
5 - Y
- Its skin, as best we can for a blanket/cloak, it's tail for a sweet as club and it's stomach for a waterskin. There's heaps of other things we could possibly Bear Grylls up, but the question is if we have enough skill to do any of it to a meaningful degree.

Eat it's eyes for a boost to our fire magic and it's heart because obviously. Give its liver to Snarls because isn't that where people used to think bravery came from? and anyway who's a brave boy?. Then sacrifice some of the meat right here and go to town on the rest.

Sacrifice the skull here too- It gets to El either way, and it'll save lugging it around for a month. Our sacrifices are for him anyway, not for trying to impress everyone- they can go get hosed what they think cause they haven't done the proper test. I bet Tudiya would say "El cares not how grand the altar, only the meaning of the sacrifice" or something, so lets be practical.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 15, 2013