Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

Phone is right. At best it's rationalization of the decisions millenials make in the face of being turbofucked economically, now and for the foreseeable future. A car, the payments and upkeep, and insurance are liabilities they are avoiding, just like home ownership, marriage, and child rearing, because they're terrified they won't be able to afford them. So they make up hipster cool reasoning why those are plusses and not massive life concessions.

Obviously that's not 100% true of everyone in the generation (and if you're posting here you're probably not in that set) but it's certainly the overwhelming trend.

I was born in '87 but I am worried about being able to afford payments long run and live minimally because of it. I make decent money now and will be doing better in a few years but I still can't really imagine piling a car payment ontop of a mortgage, ontop of...

It's just one of those what-if things. On the other hand, I ride motorcycles so I think I'm gambling with something more valuable every day. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

Really? accidents are inevitable? only if you are an idiot.

veedubfreak posted:

I have had 1 accident

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Until you get rear ended, someone "doesn't see you" and makes a left in front of you, etc.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised no one on AI has one of these yet. As far as I know. Unless I haven't been keeping up and someone does? I'm using it as an example of a modern car which is interesting and exciting and such.
cool kids inc. has a friend back in ATL that bought one. He loves the poo poo out of it.
We drove one, and the *only* thing keeping us from taking the plunge was the prospect of getting a 100+ pound dog in the near future. So we opted for a 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman, which we also love the poo poo out of.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Maybe because the so called "millenials" have wised up versus the baby boom generation a little more to figure out that commuting an hour to two hours to get home to your big house in the middle of the 'burbs to do nothing but beat off is not really the kind of lifestyle they want to follow like their parents?

It's not just a money thing, although at least around here in the North east, housing prices are immense and the benefit isn't really worth it (other than "oh it's an investment"). Once the baby boomers really start hitting their mid 70s we're in for some interesting times housing wise.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Snowdens Secret posted:

Phone is right. At best it's rationalization of the decisions millenials make in the face of being turbofucked economically, now and for the foreseeable future. A car, the payments and upkeep, and insurance are liabilities they are avoiding, just like home ownership, marriage, and child rearing, because they're terrified they won't be able to afford them. So they make up hipster cool reasoning why those are plusses and not massive life concessions.

Obviously that's not 100% true of everyone in the generation (and if you're posting here you're probably not in that set) but it's certainly the overwhelming trend.

That is an excellent hypothesis and does explain to me a lot of what I see going on with my societal group. I am somewhat out of the norm as I'm 28, married for over 4 years and have one child. My wife is a stay at home mother, I have a mortgage to pay, etc. I don't have my bachelors yet (~40 credits left) but we don't have a dime of student loan/credit card/auto debt. Just a mortgage and that's it. I'm more and more seeing that I'm the odd one out of my demographic and it weirds me out, but drat if I don't feel like I'm literally living the dream every day of my life.

86 chat; a good friend bought an FR-S the month it was released. After throwing money at it for TRD exhaust, genuine TE37s, and some expensive sus kit he finally admitted he didn't like it as much as a previous '04 E46 M3. He sold it and found a '05 M3 with the competition pkg and openly admits it's a much better car to live with (and got it for much cheaper than the new FR-S)

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I'm a millenial I guess and while I'm probably not part of the immediate audience of that article (living in a huge metropolitan area in Europe), I kind of get most of the points he makes. Problem is, I think his priorities are strange, to say the least. For one, he completely undersells the financial point, which I think is the most important one.

I don't own a car and the basic reason is really that I can't afford it. Owning a car is expensive anywhere, but in Europe even more so.
But then, it's also not really necessary: Public transport here is excellent and thanks to what I do, I can get a ticket for fairly cheap that allows me to take any public transport in about a 100 miles radius whenever I want. I can get work done on the train or bus, read or listen to music. Being stuck in a car in rush hour traffic really doesn't seem like something I'd need in my life. The parking situation where I live is atrocious, too. And for the few situations where a car is absolutely needed, car sharing is cheap and easy.
Cars just aren't as convenient here, but that obviously changes the second you leave a metropolitan area.

That said, I still want a car and the second I can afford it, I'll go out and buy one. I just don't want a car to drive around in every day, I want an unreasonable, fun one. As a hobby. Problem is that people usually don't prioritize spending on hobbies that highly, and that means it'll be a while before I can afford a car.

e: And yeah, I agree with Phone, too. A lot of it is rationalizing things you can't afford as not having been attractive in the first place.

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!
Voting terrible based on the fact that he's painted the loving thing.

As an aside - the benefit of having a car with zero balls is that when you give it the beans you get the whole soundtrack without having to worry about a speeding ticket.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

Maybe because the so called "millenials" have wised up versus the baby boom generation a little more to figure out that commuting an hour to two hours to get home to your big house in the middle of the 'burbs to do nothing but beat off is not really the kind of lifestyle they want to follow like their parents?

It's not just a money thing, although at least around here in the North east, housing prices are immense and the benefit isn't really worth it (other than "oh it's an investment"). Once the baby boomers really start hitting their mid 70s we're in for some interesting times housing wise.

I commute 15 minutes. It's loving terrible. But I will gladly drive for hours for my own purposes.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

FogHelmut posted:

I commute 15 minutes. It's loving terrible. But I will gladly drive for hours for my own purposes.

My 18 mile round trip commute takes me 90 minutes. 30 minutes in the morning, an hour in the evening. I hate it. I'd love a 15 minute commute and do a yearly road trip that is 36 hours round trip that I love. I live in a city with about 400,000 people and the bus system here is terrible. I'd have to walk about 6 miles and spend more than an hour each way to get to work.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I can't decide if this is terrible or awesome but I'm putting it here because the last few pages of this thread have the worst derails.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I was born in '87 but I am worried about being able to afford payments long run and live minimally because of it. I make decent money now and will be doing better in a few years but I still can't really imagine piling a car payment ontop of a mortgage, ontop of...

It's just one of those what-if things. On the other hand, I ride motorcycles so I think I'm gambling with something more valuable every day. Whatever.

Sup 87 buddy :smith::hf:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is an excellent hypothesis and does explain to me a lot of what I see going on with my societal group. I am somewhat out of the norm as I'm 28, married for over 4 years and have one child. My wife is a stay at home mother, I have a mortgage to pay, etc. I don't have my bachelors yet (~40 credits left) but we don't have a dime of student loan/credit card/auto debt. Just a mortgage and that's it. I'm more and more seeing that I'm the odd one out of my demographic and it weirds me out, but drat if I don't feel like I'm literally living the dream every day of my life.

86 chat; a good friend bought an FR-S the month it was released. After throwing money at it for TRD exhaust, genuine TE37s, and some expensive sus kit he finally admitted he didn't like it as much as a previous '04 E46 M3. He sold it and found a '05 M3 with the competition pkg and openly admits it's a much better car to live with (and got it for much cheaper than the new FR-S)

This isn't surprising because the m3 is worth twice as much new, it's more of an argument for used car value vs new car newness. The 86 doesn't compete directly with cars like the 86.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Most of the undercarriage was painted lime green.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

LTBS posted:

Most of the undercarriage was painted lime green.

Good thing hes got those tow mirrors fully extended!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

As far as defile the environment? Yeah, they might be right there. Everything else is utter bullshit or blown out of proportion.

If you do anything besides live in a cave and eat nuts and berries, you're defiling the environment. Might as well go big.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

If you do anything besides live in a cave and eat nuts and berries, you're defiling the environment. Might as well go big.

I know. I was just saying he wasn't wrong, just stupid about it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

turbofucked economically,
Turbos are awesome. Wrong thread.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Turbos are awesome. Wrong thread.

Perhaps he meant we were stuck in 80s' style lag ATM. :shrug:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
How about timbofucked?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I can't decide if this is terrible or awesome but I'm putting it here because the last few pages of this thread have the worst derails.

This is not getting the love it deserves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's certainly an opinion.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I assume you just put a wig-wag flasher module in?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

I know. I was just saying he wasn't wrong, just stupid about it.

Fair enough.

amenenema posted:

That's certainly an opinion.

Well, yeah, and worth what you paid for it. $10, wasn't it?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chinatown posted:

I assume you just put a wig-wag flasher module in?

Or just open/close them a bunch of times, eventually one of the motors won't keep up. Works with pretty much any late model popup light car.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

OneStopShop posted:

I think this belongs here.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2013-09/why-you-can%E2%80%99t-sell-me-car?src=SOC&dom=tw

tl;dr Millennials are the largest demographic alive today—and the auto industry's biggest headache.

the auto industry couldn't give two greasy shits about millenials. most of the industry's money comes from their huge markups on trucks, suvs and crossovers. these are the cars baby boomers buy. millennials dont want these cars, they want small efficient and reliable cars. these take much more money to design and command much lower markups because the japanese and koreans have already figured out how to do these cars well and price them competitively. it makes zero business sense for the industry to develop cars for millennials when they can sell tahoes all day with 10k margins.

every day at work I hear baby boomers comment about how they "don't care" about mileage. they just care about comfort, size, and torque available for on ramp and passing acceleration. the industry, and their mags like pop sci, shouldn't be surprised that they can't sell cars to millenials. they simply don't have to.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

paid mine off this summer. working on my wife's now. '84

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Giblet Plus! posted:

paid mine off this summer. working on my wife's now. '84

Hell yes! My wife had her bachelors before I met her and only had ~$4 grand of student loans when we started dating. She worked and paid for school while she went through (a concept that seems foreign to many). Keep up the good fight! It feels amazing at the top.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hell yes! My wife had her bachelors before I met her and only had ~$4 grand of student loans when we started dating. She worked and paid for school while she went through (a concept that seems foreign to many). Keep up the good fight! It feels amazing at the top.

It's just about impossible to keep up now with the tuition hikes. That fact seems foreign to everybody who got a degree pre-2000 or so.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Scrodes posted:

Voting terrible based on the fact that he's painted the loving thing.

As an aside - the benefit of having a car with zero balls is that when you give it the beans you get the whole soundtrack without having to worry about a speeding ticket.

It's hard to tell from the picture but that might be one of a very few incredibly rare AMEX Deloreans that were sold as part of a promotion for its gold card members. It's 24K gold plated if that's the real deal. Looks like a Canadian plate too so that would match up with what I've read about one owner who actually drives his on occasion.

All I can say about the whole millenial argument is that the majority of my successful friends either have no degree (myself included) or have one that has nothing at all to do with their job. The career experience is what counts, and I think a lot of people just went to college because that's what they were told to do, and took no accounting of why they were doing it. I'd hazard a lot of people haven't got any idea what they want to do with themselves with every path chosen for them well into their twenties, it's no wonder they aren't finding their footing.

The auto industry should like people like me, I gave up on college so I could work in a job that allowed me to buy a fast car, and it just sort of snowballed from there :v:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Gold Deloreans had gold wheels too, so I don't think it is. They look a lot shinier in other pictures too.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Giblet Plus! posted:

the auto industry couldn't give two greasy shits about millenials. most of the industry's money comes from their huge markups on trucks, suvs and crossovers. these are the cars baby boomers buy. millennials dont want these cars, they want small efficient and reliable cars. these take much more money to design and command much lower markups because the japanese and koreans have already figured out how to do these cars well and price them competitively. it makes zero business sense for the industry to develop cars for millennials when they can sell tahoes all day with 10k margins.

every day at work I hear baby boomers comment about how they "don't care" about mileage. they just care about comfort, size, and torque available for on ramp and passing acceleration. the industry, and their mags like pop sci, shouldn't be surprised that they can't sell cars to millenials. they simply don't have to.

Reminds me of the F-350 Super Duty King Ranch I saw blasting down the highway last Sunday. Driven by an old guy, hauling air.

Don't worry AI I'm a Millennial and I was on the highway coming back from an autocross. I'd love to live in a city and do the whole public transit thing but I want space to work on my cars more.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep. 90% of Ford's profits are from the trucks and the Expedition. They can stop making every other vehicle and pull out of every other market outside the US/Canada except for the trucks and the Expedition and still make 90% of the money they make now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Yep. 90% of Ford's profits are from the trucks and the Expedition. They can stop making every other vehicle and pull out of every other market outside the US/Canada except for the trucks and the Expedition and still make 90% of the money they make now.

Except for those drat CAFE penalties.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
CAFE standards put a stop to that.

e: drat IT MOTRONIC :argh:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Excessive government regulation once again strangles economic growth and job creation

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't start this poo poo...again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Both taken several years ago.

ignore that white cherokee, it looked cool but it was a rusty rotten piece of poo poo.

:sigh: back when my truck looked (relatively...) clean

The back woods inbred moron who built this vehicle thought two muffler U-bolts would hold a hydro steering ram mount onto a smooth tie rod. This wasted several hours of our time on the trail while he whitetrash (sorry, how insensitive of me, Appalachian American) engineered a trail repair for it so he could actually steer again and get the hell out of our way. I would put it in mechanical failures but this was a mechanic failure.

Later in the trail his poorly engineered crossmember that the frame side 4-link suspension mounts were attached to simply twisted up like a pretzel (protip: don't throw a single length of 1.75x.120 tubing between the frame rails and mount a 4-link to it with a healthy V8 up front under a 3 ton truck, please) and he blocked the trail again while attempting to use his winch and multiple snatch blocks to bend it back into shape.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 17, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

parrhesia posted:

I'm a millenial I guess and while I'm probably not part of the immediate audience of that article (living in a huge metropolitan area in Europe), I kind of get most of the points he makes. Problem is, I think his priorities are strange, to say the least. For one, he completely undersells the financial point, which I think is the most important one.

I don't own a car and the basic reason is really that I can't afford it. Owning a car is expensive anywhere, but in Europe even more so.
But then, it's also not really necessary: Public transport here is excellent and thanks to what I do, I can get a ticket for fairly cheap that allows me to take any public transport in about a 100 miles radius whenever I want. I can get work done on the train or bus, read or listen to music. Being stuck in a car in rush hour traffic really doesn't seem like something I'd need in my life. The parking situation where I live is atrocious, too. And for the few situations where a car is absolutely needed, car sharing is cheap and easy.
Cars just aren't as convenient here, but that obviously changes the second you leave a metropolitan area.

Personally, I prefer public transit when possible. The problem is.... it doesn't exist in the area that I live in. It exists (barely) in the city I live in (DART), but there's no regular service within a few miles (you can request on-call service, but even that requires walking at least a mile). There's zero public transit in the city I work in.

A bit over a year ago, I lived in a smaller city that was mostly a college town (two state universities, population of about 130k) that had a decent bus system.. on weekdays. Pretty much everything I needed was within walking or biking distance; when it wasn't, I'd just take the bus. I was on a first name basis with a few drivers - I really miss that. In the 8 months I lived there, I only put about ~2000 miles on my car - and almost all of that was driving back to Dallas (it sat for a couple of months with a dead transmission, and frequently sat for at least a week at a time). There was also train service that connected to DART, so if I wanted to, say, go to downtown Dallas (from downtown Denton), it was about an hour and a half train ride, switching trains about 30 minutes into the trip. Saturday service was limited though, and no Sunday service whatsoever (DART has Sunday service; DCTA does not).

The university I was attending last year also had a car sharing program (provided by Hertz), with several cars scattered around the campus, available to rent by the hour (fuel and insurance included, fuel card was supposed to be in the car, but it was missing every time I rented - they reimbursed me for fuel within a week when I had to put gas in). Whenever I move back up there, there's a decent chance I'll either get rid of my car or keep a very cheap beater.

For comparison, I've put 13k miles on my car in the 10 months I've owned it; the whole time I've lived in an area without public transit. If I'm going into Dallas, I generally drive to the nearest transit center (15 minutes away) and take the train. It's cheaper than driving, and far less stressful - I can throw on a podcast and zone out. If i'm going into Ft. Worth, it's a tossup - it's a 1-1.25 hour drive (and a minimum of :20bux: in gas and parking with my econobox car, and plenty of stress), or a 2-2.5 hour ride via train (with a $9 regional ticket).

The people watching/random people you meet when you're on public transit ... can be fun too. Sometimes weird as gently caress.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 17, 2013

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

parrhesia posted:

That said, I still want a car and the second I can afford it, I'll go out and buy one. I just don't want a car to drive around in every day, I want an unreasonable, fun one. As a hobby. Problem is that people usually don't prioritize spending on hobbies that highly, and that means it'll be a while before I can afford a car.

It doesnt help that car ownership in mainland europe especialy for anything interesting or old seems incredibly expensive. At least here in the UK iirc we have the cheapest used cars in europe, mainly because only ireland wants our rhd cars.

The main stumbling block is insurance which is obsecene if your under 24, doubly so if you live in an urban area. Even around 10 years ago when I got my licence basic 3rd party insurance cost me about £1500 on a a 70hp vw polo for the first year and this was 10 years ago. Its probably even worse now, back then I was very lucky to have a job that earned decent money for my age at the time. This isnt the case for most young people nowadays.

Also driving in London is very daunting for new drivers, with cunts driving around in smart cars with cameras placed ontop to fine you for any little mistake, fixed cctv doing the same, parking wardens, permit parking areas, congestion charge, tonnes of useless signage, blanket 20mph speedlimits in some boroughs, speedhumps, buslanes, red routes and so on.

My current commute is 20 minutes on the train and then about a 10 minute walk, in a car it took me more than a hour crawling along at under 20mph mostly and this wasnt even during rush hour. So my car just sits on the street most of the time, I think i've barely driven 3000 miles this year. If I didnt have friends that lived outside of London I literaly wouldnt need a car at all.
The upside of this is I drive mainly for fun now. Within 20 minutes I can be driving down some nice twisty B-roads, or I can drive the hour or so to brands-hatch/silverstone/bedford autodrome.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ror posted:

Gold Deloreans had gold wheels too, so I don't think it is. They look a lot shinier in other pictures too.

I've heard that a lot of the painted Deloreans you see have had major body repairs done. Nobody can seem to replicate the brushed finish on the stainless, so they just paint the whole drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've heard that a lot of the painted Deloreans you see have had major body repairs done. Nobody can seem to replicate the brushed finish on the stainless, so they just paint the whole drat thing.

The first episode of THE GETAWAY with Joel McHale features a longtime Delorean owner in Belfast. Apparently he cleans it anytime someone touches it. With a Brillo pad or scrubby sponge, no water. D: