Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Turn A posted:

A connection to Nier has been in plain sight from the get-go.

The official prequel comic about the Intoners is really blatant about it. The art style makes them look like children and it's pretty bad overall and not translated. But it shows off their powers so there's that if you're interested. There's four of them and you can read them by clicking the links in the top banner. Comic/game(?) spoiler: It also shows how three got interested in "doll"-making.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/magazine/biggangan/introduction/dragondragoon/

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Oh cool. It looks like their powers are pretty similar to the ones that Grimoire Weiss uses. Interesting.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Renoistic posted:

The official prequel comic about the Intoners is really blatant about it. The art style makes them look like children and it's pretty bad overall and not translated. But it shows off their powers so there's that if you're interested. There's four of them and you can read them by clicking the links in the top banner. Comic/game(?) spoiler: It also shows how three got interested in "doll"-making.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/magazine/biggangan/introduction/dragondragoon/

Well to be fair to the comic, I think the sisters were kids at this point in time; assuming they age normally and are in their late teens/early twenties now, they would have been pre-teens when they first went on their quest to take the land back from the corrupt rulers (or whatever the back story is supposed to be). I'm not super fond of the cutesy art style, either, though... which is a shame because story-wise it's more interesting than the other manga, Red Unto Death.

Speaking of Three's dolls, re-reading the manga I noticed the one she picks up in the second chapter is made out of human skin and bone (apparently it's the ruler's hobby to kidnap children to make into toys). She gets really attached to it, and I think this lends credence to the theory that her own dolls are probably made out of humans as well...

I also translated one of the Nier stories as requested. Yes, that one; I decided to get it out of the way first:
http://80sanime.tumblr.com/post/64007075071/banquet-of-the-witch-i-first-heard-tell-of-her-in
NMS, NWS. This is what I meant when I said I don't think any of the Drakengard 3 supplemental material is worse than that of Nier's.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Eh, I'd think the one with the songstress raping her apostle and forcing him to act like he enjoys it is worse by a good bit.

VV That's pretty comparable, yes.

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 14, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What about the little bro Nier selling his rear end for his sister's pills one?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That was... interesting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, in preparation for Drakengard 3, I've been looking up stuff related to Drakengard and Nier (including re-reading TheDarkId's amazing LPs and trying to play Drakengard myself, an exercise in frustration and anger) and apparently there's a Drakengard wiki. Aside from wondering "Why!?", there's a few interesting tidbits on the development of the first game. My favourite is this one:

Drakengard Wiki posted:

Cavia developers joked that she is a character who was the most hated by the team, even calling her the heroine "who fails to be the part". Her design required multiple retakes and they admit that she was only conceptualized for Caim and Inuart's rivalry. Taro Yoko remarks that she is roughly his take on the sisters in Sister Princess. To him, she embodies the type of woman that he would personally despise to be with, saying that she is too plain and forgettable. Her personality was roughly modeled on Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Now, this might be (probably is) old news, but I personally find it hilarious that the Dev team hated Furiae as much as the players. Drakengard!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I find it odd she was made to give Caim and Inuart something to fight about. In the end, their "rivalry" really didn't exist beyond like, two scenes.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Apparently Yoko Taro is a fairly big Eva fan (not surprisingly?). Arioch, Leonard and the Fairy's original Japanese voice actors had all worked on Evangelion prior (as Rei, Kaji and Asuka respectively).

Other interesting JP voice actor tid-bits:
-Caim AND Angelus were played by the same voice actor, infamous cross-dresser, dancer and actor Peter/Ikehata Shinnosuke. He also played Weiss in Nier. So beloved is he by the Japanese fanbase, everyone is hoping he'll still show up in Drakengard 3 despite no announcement having been yet made.
-Inuart's VA also voices Woody in the Japanese dub of the Toy Story series.
-Urick's VA plays the Japanese version of Jack Bauer from 24.
-Kaine's VA is most famous as Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell; Tyrann played Yosuke in Persona 4.
-Speaking of Persona, One's voice actress played Mitsuru in Persona 3. Three is played by Fuuka, Two by Metis.

I'm looking forward to the English dub! Now have some choice cosplay:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

dazat posted:

I'm looking forward to the English dub! Now have some choice cosplay:

Why would anyone ever cosplay as Verdelet

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

alcharagia posted:

Why would anyone ever cosplay as Verdelet

Extreme self-loathing? Or perhaps he just wants a croc to the face.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, in preparation for Drakengard 3, I've been looking up stuff related to Drakengard and Nier (including re-reading TheDarkId's amazing LPs and trying to play Drakengard myself, an exercise in frustration and anger) and apparently there's a Drakengard wiki. Aside from wondering "Why!?", there's a few interesting tidbits on the development of the first game. My favourite is this one:

Now, this might be (probably is) old news, but I personally find it hilarious that the Dev team hated Furiae as much as the players. Drakengard!

"No, see, when I said 'I want a heroine with balls', what I meant was... y'know what, gently caress it, let's just go with it."

And that's the story of how we wound up with Kaine.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
There's going to be a livestream of this game tonight at ... 3:50 AM PST! At least, I think it's tonight.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

A video showcasing dragon battle was shown on the livestream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnW9jWyRNY#t=149
I hope you find Mikhail's voice cute and not annoying!

Also some images showing off the Caim DLC. It comes with his sword!:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some super up close pictures for those who want

Just makes me want to see good ol' buddy Caim in HD even more.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kinda reminds me of Facade. Any word on whether or not Caim's sword comes with any bonuses itself, or is murdering the poo poo out of anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies a bonus enough?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

dazat posted:

Tyrann played Yosuke in Persona 4.

Are you sure? Morikubo voiced Tyrann? I checked the wiki on him and there's no mention of him being in Drakengard (JP wiki too).

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

dazat posted:

A video showcasing dragon battle was shown on the livestream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnW9jWyRNY#t=149

So is it just me or does this actually look kinda cool

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Megalixir posted:

Are you sure? Morikubo voiced Tyrann? I checked the wiki on him and there's no mention of him being in Drakengard (JP wiki too).

Positive! He's listed as Tyrann's voice actor the JP wiki entry for Nier, and also in Grimoire Nier.
I can't find a gameplay video, but there's no mistaking his work in the Nier drama CD, either (skip to 1:04).

/seiyuu nerd

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

dazat posted:

The commentators seem absolutely obsessed with him!

The dragon gameplay seems really shallow but also a definite step up when compared to the earlier games. Throw in some Nier-quality dialogue and dark humor and it will be perfectly decent entertainment.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 22, 2013

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Looks like the game gets really choppy whenever anything close to a medium amount of action is happening on screen. The camera during the on-foot sections seems pretty bad as well. That kind of stinks considering that Nier was a fairly smooth experience, even though it was far from being the prettiest game. Granted, the tech guys at Cavia probably aren't working on this game at all.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

dazat posted:

Oh hell. Localization team please save this game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turn A posted:

Looks like the game gets really choppy whenever anything close to a medium amount of action is happening on screen. The camera during the on-foot sections seems pretty bad as well. T

Sounds like Drakengard to me!

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Interesting new article/interview with producer Takamasa Shiba: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/shoot-core-takamasa-shiba-plans-preserve-old-ways-drakengard-3/

I hope Square-Enix advertises the English release more than it sounds like they're going to... seems like they've already decided the game isn't going to sell much.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I translated Decad's newly released story: All is for Her Sake

If Dito's story was horror, this one is a comedy. At least he loves Four in his own weird way?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

dazat posted:

If Dito's story was horror, this one is a comedy. At least he loves Four in his own weird way?

I knew there was a catch, but at least it doesn't seem to be one of disastrous proportions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dazat posted:

Interesting new article/interview with producer Takamasa Shiba: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/shoot-core-takamasa-shiba-plans-preserve-old-ways-drakengard-3/

I hope Square-Enix advertises the English release more than it sounds like they're going to... seems like they've already decided the game isn't going to sell much.

Well, it probably won't, even with a lot of advertising. It's a weird, janky and extremely Japanese game which will appeal to an extremely limited audience who is willing to overlook its flaws for its strengths, many of which are obscure or fairly nihilistic/dark.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
A Drakengard game with the gameplay of DMC3/4 would be mindblowing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

dazat posted:

Judging from this and her own story Four seriously needs to start telling people what she thinks/wants. No wonder she's so frustrated with everything.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Renoistic posted:

Judging from this and her own story Four seriously needs to start telling people what she thinks/wants. No wonder she's so frustrated with everything.

Sounds like she's trying to avoid that - since look at what happens to her sisters when they tell people what they want. Remember these women are treated like Goddesses. It may be that she's afraid to fall into the same vices.

Wait: Four's story was translated?

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 28, 2013

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Sounds like she's trying to avoid that - since look at what happens to her sisters when they tell people what they want. Remember these women are treated like Goddesses. It may be that she's afraid to fall into the same vices.

Wait: Four's story was translated?

It was translated on Siliconera: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/02/drakengard-3s-four-is-a-caring-sister-who-also-has-a-dark-side/

While their translation of Zero's story cut off in the middle, they did a good job with Five, Four and Three's stories so I didn't bother translating those. I think they stopped before doing Two's, though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Over the last week I put together a Drakengard 3 thread and saved it, do you guys think it's worth starting a thread for it since it will come out overseas eventually? I didn't consider posting it until there was confirmation that it'd come stateside. There's a lot of new information I've just seen in this thread like the translations for other stories so adding that would make a pretty detailed post.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lunethex posted:

Over the last week I put together a Drakengard 3 thread and saved it, do you guys think it's worth starting a thread for it since it will come out overseas eventually? I didn't consider posting it until there was confirmation that it'd come stateside. There's a lot of new information I've just seen in this thread like the translations for other stories so adding that would make a pretty detailed post.

Yeah, I think a lot of people might be interested in Drakengard 3 now that it's coming stateside, and after the Drakengard 1/2 LPs and Nier, interest has never been better.

I'd like to know if America even gets a cool edition but that'll never happen.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'll need to clean it up a bit more I think based on some new info since I pieced it together from stuff I found on Siliconera (they translated just Zero's story) and Gematsu, so I'll look into getting it up when I'm confident in it. Is there any new character info that I should know? I see that there's stories for the Apostles themselves now.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It doesn't come out in Japan until December and we have no idea when it comes out in the states so it might be a bit early for its own thread.

I totally preordered this thing on the Square Enix store. I want it on a disc!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Lunethex posted:

Go for broke, chief. I am morally down for Drakengard 3... which I still cannot believe is a thing. A thing I'm probably entirely responsible for coming out in the west... :shepface:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
You brought this on yourself, Id, you talented bastard.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some info on weapon types.

"The sword a balanced weapon with effect forward slashes and horizontal range. The Sword can also launch enemies and it’s easy to connect attacks into combos which makes blood splash, the key to activating Zero’s Intoner powers."

Zero’s spear has more range than the sword and it deals stronger blows. The downside is the spear’s attack speed is slower.

Fists have limited attack range, but make it easy to chain attacks into combos. It’s a weapon designed for close range, one on one fights.

The chakram is the opposite of the fists. It’s attack power is low, but it can hit an entire group of enemy when Zero is surrounded. Looks like this is a good crowd control weapon."

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/28/drakengard-3s-four-deadly-weapons/

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I posted the thread. Make sure to lambast me if you see something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Nier takes place in the same universe as Drakengard?! :psyboom:

I thought Drakengard was some random game I played as a kid nobody else had even heard of. I've gotta play this now.

Is there any particular reason to play the PS3 version over the 360 one or vice versa?

• Locked thread