Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Depends on the kind of brakleen.

chlorinated: nasty poo poo. I don't buy it, I don't know what's in it.
non chlorinated, nasty kind: ethylbenzene, toluene, xylol, random other poo poo. Leaves a slight residue and is nasty as hell if you get it on your skin.
non chlorinated, nice kind: acetone, heptane. No residue, no benzene rings, no toluene, no halogens, burns clean, you can weld after using this kind and the worst thing you have to fear is a small burst of flame if you didn't let it dry completely first. Kills wasps nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Chlorinated brakleen kills wasps so fast they don't even flap their wings again once they're hit. Don't breathe it. Stings like the dickens when it splashes your eyes, might be absorbed by your skin, but cleans brake fluid and dust like no other with zero residue and evaporates out almost instantly.

Don't breathe it. Asbestos is probably safer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I didn't even know they made/sold chlorinated brake cleaner anymore. I don't think I've ever seen any.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wallaka posted:

Chlorinated brakleen kills wasps so fast they don't even flap their wings again once they're hit. Don't breathe it. Stings like the dickens when it splashes your eyes, might be absorbed by your skin, but cleans brake fluid and dust like no other with zero residue and evaporates out almost instantly.

Don't breathe it. Asbestos is probably safer.

The new chlorinated recipe (I made the mistake of using brakleen at a friend's shop without reading the label...) has an ingredients list every bit as nasty sounding but without the benefit of actually evaporating right. It left a nasty sheen of something or other foul smelling on a rotor I used it on.

Protip: anything involving benzene or toluene - stay the gently caress away. They are quite nasty. You can make benzene less carcinogenic by attaching other carbon chains to it (ethylbenzene, etc) and similar things are possible with toluene, but I try to avoid anything involving those chemicals.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

I didn't even know they made/sold chlorinated brake cleaner anymore. I don't think I've ever seen any.

Red label, not green.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Protip: anything involving benzene or toluene - stay the gently caress away. They are quite nasty. You can make benzene less carcinogenic by attaching other carbon chains to it (ethylbenzene, etc) and similar things are possible with toluene, but I try to avoid anything involving those chemicals.

Next you're going to say I shouldn't be using gasoline to wash my hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Toxicity

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jesus loving christ, I had no idea gas had that much poo poo in it that was bad, I thought it was mostly simple alkanes. Guess I will have to start wearing gloves while working with it :gonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Jesus loving christ, I had no idea gas had that much poo poo in it that was bad, I thought it was mostly simple alkanes. Guess I will have to start wearing gloves while working with it :gonk:

Just don't huff it and don't bathe in it and you'll be fine. Its all about exposure limits.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

Just don't huff it and don't bathe in it and you'll be fine. Its all about exposure limits.

Well, there goes MY weekend plans...

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I'm not supposed to be pouring gallons of toluene into my car's gas tank as octane booster? Way to take all of the fun out of it guys.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I've done quite a lot of general cleaning with an aerosol sprayer and a can of methyl ethyl ketone. It will make a throttle body shine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

Just don't have a lit cigar around it when applying.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Not sure if this is a failure or one hell of a success:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrYenko posted:

Well, there goes MY weekend plans...

I didn't know you were Australian :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

Not sure if this is a failure or one hell of a success:

:drat:

I vote for success.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

From the ChumpCar race this weekend.

6:45am - "Those pads have plenty of life, should last the day just fine"
2:45pm - "Getting some pretty bad brake fade guys, see if we have spare pads to toss in at the next pit stop"
3:00pm - "Ok brakes are poo poo but I'm going to try a few more laps, next driver suit up and get tools ready"
3:05pm - "I'm off, sitting in the gravel trap off turn 2. I'll be in as soon as the rescue truck pulls me out"

Tossed in new pads, fresh driver and finished up the race.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

That must have been a horrible noise when that gave way! :eek:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"Crane hoist brake failure caused an intense accident."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrn6ellbtpc

:byodood: AW gently caress.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NitroSpazzz posted:

From the ChumpCar race this weekend.

6:45am - "Those pads have plenty of life, should last the day just fine"
2:45pm - "Getting some pretty bad brake fade guys, see if we have spare pads to toss in at the next pit stop"
3:00pm - "Ok brakes are poo poo but I'm going to try a few more laps, next driver suit up and get tools ready"
3:05pm - "I'm off, sitting in the gravel trap off turn 2. I'll be in as soon as the rescue truck pulls me out"

Tossed in new pads, fresh driver and finished up the race.

What car and pad?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

What car and pad?

Chump and Brake

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Their dishwashers are decent :)

And Bosch make good fridges - one of the few non yuppie-grade white goods you can buy over here that is gemacht in deutschland or whatever and not China. Hence also the 2 year warranty versus 1 year with the generic China number 1 brand white labelled by Whirlpool versions.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

What car and pad?

Car #86 (Red E30 Convertible), pads are Hawk Blue's that were new beginning of the day Saturday. They lasted about 14-14.5 hours of heavy use (Road America) so I can't complain at all.

Ha forgot the backing plates on those are supposed to be blue, guess the paint doesn't hold up to getting red hot.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

:stare:

Someone in my neighborhood drives this; it was parked next to me when I left home this morning. I'm amazed it still holds air.

e: I guess this is more of a horrible mechanical success, then.
double e: Yeah so today I learned there are five spoke steel wheels now. Leaving this here for posterity, thanks for making me feel dumb, GM.

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 22, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bro that's a hubcap, you can see the undamaged steel wheel right there.\

E:Pontiac/Chevy of some flavor, right? I see those all the time.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

It's a five-spoke alloy of some sort, unless hubcaps and steelies are getting way more advanced these days. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying close attention to what kind of car it was, but I'll look for it when I get home.

e: I believe it to be a Saturn Aura XE, based on some mild internet detectivry.

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 22, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Fucknag posted:

Bro that's a hubcap, you can see the undamaged steel wheel right there.\

E:Pontiac/Chevy of some flavor, right? I see those all the time.

That's tyre, not wheel... look down

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Geirskogul posted:

Chump and Brake

I had this weird moment of self-doubt after laughing out loud. Was that humor beneath me?:ohdear: NOPE.

nurrwick posted:

I'm amazed it still holds air.

Fucknag posted:

Bro that's a hubcap

I also feel kind of bad for laughing so hard at this.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Das Volk posted:

That's tyre, not wheel... look down

I know its not something BMW would ever think to do. But for us average people, 5 spoke steelies are the future.

They are also terrible and bend very easily.

Edit: \/ Yea GM really went to town with the styling. The screw on plastic lug nut caps should be also be a hint.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 22, 2013

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Wait then, did they put a wheel cover on top of something that's not a standard steel wheel? Why?

^^^ beaten i guess. Well, you learn something new every day...

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
Wish i had a picture of the horrible mechanical failure of the steelie on my old Magnum after taking an f150 at 60 mph. But i dont.

I actually think the base steelies on the current camaro are not horrible at all.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Not a "horrible" mechanical failure by any means but yesterday when I was running errands my throttle linkage exploded when I was stopped at a busy intersection. I had a lot of mad dads honking at me and the only tools I had immediately available to me were a pair of wirecutters and my shoes.

Hilariously the shoestring held up for a sixty-mile round trip on the highway to get the replacement parts.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Preoptopus posted:

I know its not something BMW would ever think to do. But for us average people, 5 spoke steelies are the future.

They are also terrible and bend very easily.

Edit: \/ Yea GM really went to town with the styling. The screw on plastic lug nut caps should be also be a hint.

That would be kind of a cool wheel if it wasn't made of pot metal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

That would be kind of a cool wheel if it wasn't made of pot metal.

Toyota have imitation alloy wheels on the Rav4 and the hilux. They look exactly like alloys from a distance but are steel.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Same with the new Forester, base gets stylized steel wheels without covers. The new Ford Taurus also has similar trickery, saw one with the plastic cover cracked and did a double take because it looked like an alloy wheel that shouldn't hold air.

Cobalts and the Pontiac variants have similar wheels on certain trims.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

NitroSpazzz posted:

Car #86 (Red E30 Convertible), pads are Hawk Blue's that were new beginning of the day Saturday. They lasted about 14-14.5 hours of heavy use (Road America) so I can't complain at all.

Ha forgot the backing plates on those are supposed to be blue, guess the paint doesn't hold up to getting red hot.
Here's the inner driver's front pad off our RX7 after VIR 24hr :v:

Granted, we did take a couple very good hits that taco'd a control arm, so who knows. They served well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Chump and Brake
:golfclap: Bravo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Same with the new Forester, base gets stylized steel wheels without covers. The new Ford Taurus also has similar trickery, saw one with the plastic cover cracked and did a double take because it looked like an alloy wheel that shouldn't hold air.

Cobalts and the Pontiac variants have similar wheels on certain trims.

The Forester has always had stylized steel wheels available. I have a set of these puppies for my winter tires (thanks McTinkerson) and they made a handful of other variants - they even have centre caps.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

I'm not sure how this was able to hold 40 psi of air, but it did. :psyduck:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
well ok THAT one isn't a fuckin steel wheel :stare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Let me guess... "bumped a curb"? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

And Bosch make good fridges - one of the few non yuppie-grade white goods you can buy over here that is gemacht in deutschland or whatever and not China. Hence also the 2 year warranty versus 1 year with the generic China number 1 brand white labelled by Whirlpool versions.

I guess that makes my Cylinda (known as ASKO outside Sweden) with a 5 year standard warranty a little more than twice as good as the Bosch then? :smug:

BMW small case differential behind an M30.