Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
"Can you express what 'Vayahi Or' is supposed to sound like without our head exploding or anything?"

It might help us make fire later if we have the 'correct' version in our head when we try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Tomn posted:

"Azzazel, did you do something to my dog?"
"Not a single blessed thing Creature." Azzazel laughs again.

"Aaaah you didnt know? Why... why thats just the funniest bit of all!"

Azzazel laughs again, not in a maniacal manner but in the way one does when they hear an amazing joke.
"......ah... aha" Azzazel wipes a tear from his eye "Oh Creature, you are too much! Promise me you'll come visit some time! I'll have the good wine ready!"

quote:

Ask Azzazel: "You quit, huh? So... What did the big guy fire you for?"
"What!? No one fired me! I QUIT! I bet those boring prudes didn't. believe me when I said if my goats can't go up, then I'm not either! Well, I showed them! .... grumble grumble mumble goat hater bastards grumble grumble mumble. You wouldn't understand. Besides, it is much more interesting down here! I don't regret a thing!"

quote:

Ask Azzazel: "So you are the Tester, Azzazel? Do you test everyone who comes through your territory as directly as you have tested me? Has every member of the line of Zepa seen you?
"Only the most amusing!"

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1. A

2. Accept

3. J

Charming a magical creature and winning his aid is heroic, not cheating. We already turned down his offer to make our test a breeze and negotiated successfully the life of our dog and his good humor. We are a boy who speaks with legends. And soon we will be a man making legends.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
1C

2:

Tomn posted:

2. "Thanks for the offer, but I kinda want to sightsee a little bit on the way home, y'know? Could be handy if I ever needed to come out this way again. That said, friend, I'd appreciate it if you helped fix up poor Snarls here - don't reckon he'll have much fun playing tourist with a bum leg."

(I slipped an off-handed "friend" in there. Azzazel may be here to test us, but he seems alright.)

3J

Minivote: Get dressed.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Neraren posted:

"Can you express what 'Vayahi Or' is supposed to sound like without our head exploding or anything?"

It might help us make fire later if we have the 'correct' version in our head when we try again.

(If he does this grab the words!)

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Zybourne Clock posted:

Azzazel is a fallen angel, aka the thing devils are made of :siren:

Snarls isn't psychically talking to us. We're tired, lost our weapon and camp, and just got attacked by an Elder God. Azzazel is trying to trick us into failing our test when we're at our most vulnerable. Mt. Har is where El and the Melachim live, and also where the souls of the dead reside. Call it paradise, if you will, and Azzazel got kicked out of it. We don't want to owe this guy a favor, ever, and that includes asking him for transportation or asking him to heal our dog. (Dio said Snarls will probably heal on his own anyway).

Goats are usually associated with devils, btw :siren: Azzazz was probably cast down. He is most likely here as temptation to break us. Snarls only has a Sprain, he will get better over a little time, if needed we can carry him for a little while.

Changing vote to:

A Terrible Person posted:

1C

2:
"Thanks for the offer, but I kinda want to sightsee a little bit on the way home, y'know? Could be handy if I ever needed to come out this way again. That said, friend, I'd appreciate it if you helped fix up poor Snarls here - don't reckon he'll have much fun playing tourist with a bum leg."

(I slipped an off-handed "friend" in there. Azzazel may be here to test us, but he seems alright.)

3J

Minivote: Get dressed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
1) G - Share with Snarls
2) Ask to heal Snarls instead
3) I

Also voting to get dressed.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

HiHo ChiRho posted:

To Azzazel: What had three eyes, loves to eat goat and was crushed barehanded by a manimal?

Then we show him the skull yelling THIS GUY!

E: I think it is time to cover up the ol jackal and goats. get dressed.

Do this.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

For a being that feeds off peoples sorrow/anguish at giving up things that they care about, would be sweeter to him than us to willingly "fail" our manhood test (one of the 2 things we only care about at the moment) on some bullshit technicality, because we accepted his help of an outright, no strings, teleport home?

Even if the realisation to us, and thus his payoff, takes years, or even until after we die to come about. Or it might even be Els high priest saying "Hmmm, these offerings don't seem to be that pleasing, to El, but I honestly can't figure out why, they're the best we've seen in decades" or something

e:
1 - G, share it with Snarls
2 - (If that doesn't heal him) No thanks, but what is your price to heal Snarls?
3 - I

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 22, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Tomn posted:

2. "Thanks for the offer, but I kinda want to sightsee a little bit on the way home, y'know? Could be handy if I ever needed to come out this way again. That said, I'd appreciate it if you helped fix up poor Snarls here - don't reckon he'll have much fun playing tourist with a bum leg."

Changing my 2 vote to this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Master-Brother-Father-Bestests-Friend-Ever-Man-Beast-Friend-Who-Knows-Just-The-Right-Part-of-The-Belly-to-Scratch-to-Make-the-Leg-Kick. Looks odd. Smells good. Safe. Home?

Snarls looks up at you with sad puppy dog eyes and lets out a small whine.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
1. G share with Snarls

2. No thanks, heal Snarls (Plan Tomn)

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
Holy crap we can communicate telepathically with Snarls

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Try and think back, "Who's a good boy? We did good!"

Also ask Azz "Is Snarls smarter than a goat?"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Funnily enough, despite my plan apparently gaining ground, I'm starting to have second thoughts about it. Diog reminded me of dear ol' Mom, though I figure that Azzazel is something of a bonus since we were expecting to walk back anyways - declining doesn't make us really that much worse off than we were before, and we'd still be heading home faster than we would have if we'd stayed out the full period for the pearls. More to the point, recent events demonstrated that there may be a hidden catch to Azzazel we haven't quite caught on to yet...

But now Snarls SEEMS to be suggesting that Azzazel may be on the level. Or maybe that as a fallen angel or something he smells good even if he's planning to screw us. Or maybe that Azzazel knows telepathic ventriloquism (though if that's true, he's apparently really committed to scamming us given that we started picking up on Snarls while still running in the forest.) Or maybe...

...poo poo, I hate having incomplete information. So let's start running experiments to determine the nature of our connection to Snarls. It won't tell us everything we need to know by a long shot, but it might help! Do a quick test and think at Snarls: "Can you hear me? Do you understand me?"

Also, can we pray to El for guidance or for him to show us a sign whether Azzazel might be trusted here?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Snarls is hurt and just ran for his life from an abysmal horror. He is stressed out. If you are worried about Snarls and mom, ask Azzazel to teleport Snarls home. Tell Snarls to let mom know we are ok and coming home in a few weeks.

Having Azzazel teleport us may render our offerings to El moot--Azzazel has hinted at such. The men of Zepath will not care or know, but El will. I want to gain El's favor with our sacrifices. Also, I think we can make it home by ourselves, once we get to the river.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Nettle Soup posted:

Try and think back, "Who's a good boy? We did good!"

Also ask Azz "Is Snarls smarter than a goat?"

Is a goat cuter than Snarls?

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
We should heal Snarls and boot it home.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Snarls is hurt and just ran for his life from an abysmal horror. He is stressed out. If you are worried about Snarls and mom, ask Azzazel to teleport Snarls home. Tell Snarls to let mom know we are ok and coming home in a few weeks.

Having Azzazel teleport us may render our offerings to El moot--Azzazel has hinted at such. The men of Zepath will not care or know, but El will. I want to gain El's favor with our sacrifices. Also, I think we can make it home by ourselves, once we get to the river.
I'm voting for this.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

spacetimecontinuu posted:

We should heal Snarls and boot it home.

Boot it? Does that mean walk home? Have not heard that phrase before.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Sending Snarls home is amusing...unless we attach a note saying we'll be back soon I think it would just worry Jalitha.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Please do not leave the well being of our dog to the guy who wanted us to sacrifice Snarls to him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Sending Snarls home is amusing...unless we attach a note saying we'll be back soon I think it would just worry Jalitha.
Snarls is smart. The fact that he'll be upbeat when he gets home will get the message that we're still alive across, especially to Danal.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tsyni posted:

Snarls is smart enough to get the message across.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Changing the long life part of my vote to "Heal Snarls and send him home, with a message attached. We'll walk."

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

JT Jag posted:

Snarls is smart. The fact that he'll be upbeat when he gets home will get the message that we're still alive across, especially to Danal.

If we vote to do this, I would like to suggest that we take absolutely no risks whatsoever on our way back because we won't just be breaking our mother's heart if we're late/dead, we'd also be making Snarls very very sad.

I KINDA like the "Snarls go home plan", incidentally, but there's a few things that worry me:

A) We've not a huge amount of fieldcraft, and in the past relied on Snarls a fair bit to get along. Will we make it out all right without him?

B) Can we trust Azzazel to transport Snarls safely home and not gently caress with him in any way once Snarls is out of our sight?

C) Assuming we do send Snarls back via Azzazel, isn't someone in Zepath going to wonder how/why our dog got back so much sooner than we did? How will we explain it ourselves when we get back?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
If you want to attach a message, and Azzazzel doesn't want to give us a clay tablet or anything for the message, we could shave he message into Snarls fur with our stone knife. Doesn't have to be a close shave, just enough to be legible.

The hard part would be finding enough non wrinkly skin on Snarls for a message.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

If you want to attach a message, and Azzazzel doesn't want to give us a clay tablet or anything for the message, we could shave he message into Snarls fur with our stone knife. Doesn't have to be a close shave, just enough to be legible.

The hard part would be finding enough non wrinkly skin on Snarls for a message.
We've been out here for a few months now, he's surely past-due for a cleaning anyway. We probably wouldn't have a problem finding a spot with long enough hair.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think sending Snarls back is smart. His paw is just sprained. If Az won't heal him we can carry him or just take it real easy for the first little while.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tsyni posted:

I don't think sending Snarls back is smart. His paw is just sprained. If Az won't heal him we can carry him or just take it real easy for the first little while.
This would be a token way to reassure the people back in town though. We've been gone for a really long time.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

spacetimecontinuu posted:

Holy crap we can communicate telepathically with Snarls

This is a precursor to King-sense that determines lies, and possibly Tudiya's summoning of and talking to animals.

I've been saying since nearly the beginning we have divine powers :colbert: I am vindicated!

Or Azzazel is deceiving us, but we first got words from Snarls well before we saw him. And someone in IRC a day or so ago mentioned we were clearly sensing Snarl's thoughts somehow.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't like the send Snarls home plan. Too many questions and we may need him.

We have been gone a month. 1 month. 4 weeks. 1 moon.

We are not trying to prove our manhood. We acting as a man. Healing Snarls for the trip is in. Accepting Azz's transportation having just had Grigori confirmed as 'Watchers' and him having a problematic relationship with them is out. He would be amused to play a trick on them, even at our expense whether great or trivial.

Any response to the goat horn question?

Ask Snarls verbally or otherwise 'If we make your foot better think you can walk back home? It will take a few weeks, but we will be going home."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sogol posted:

We have been gone a month. 1 month. 4 weeks. 1 moon.
Hasn't it been like two months at this point?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Even with Enkidel's awful fieldcraft, it's simple enough to fashion a litter or big shoulder sling out of part of his robe. Can carry or drag Snarls that way.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

One month and two weeks. The two weeks was the trip with Tudiya to the scrubland. The month is the time it took us to reach the sea, etc, and fish, get pearls, etc.

Question for Diog: Do we have any remaining smoked fish or other food? How many days worth if we conserve it?

eta: Also, I vote we reject all aid but do so politely.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Althair posted:

Charming a magical creature and winning his aid is heroic, not cheating. We already turned down his offer to make our test a breeze and negotiated successfully the life of our dog and his good humor. We are a boy who speaks with legends. And soon we will be a man making legends.

Well put, pretty much what I was saying with my accept vote. If we'd used Azzazel to avoid our challenges completely, or to conjure up an offering so we didn't have to work for it, we would have been cheating. We've accomplished those though, trial done, heading home; accepting the offer now is just taking those rewards we've earned through our efforts out here, namely in charming this dangerous being, and using them to finish our trial in style. We've crafted our way home, through engaging with the challenges presented, it's a fitting return.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

JT Jag posted:

One moon. We left Tudiya on the full moon and yesterday was the full moon. So at most add a weeks journey to that. If we walk, and make it alive, without serious delay, we will have been gone two months total.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Well put, pretty much what I was saying with my accept vote. If we'd used Azzazel to avoid our challenges completely, or to conjure up an offering so we didn't have to work for it, we would have been cheating. We've accomplished those though, trial done, heading home; accepting the offer now is just taking those rewards we've earned through our efforts out here, namely in charming this dangerous being, and using them to finish our trial in style. We've crafted our way home, through engaging with the challenges presented, it's a fitting return.

Azzazel is implying that him teleporting us will gently caress up our offering, though the men of Zepath will not know. I'd accept healing and the like, but I'm not even sure about that.

We got away with what we did in our first encounter because the aid was minimal, given to Snarls, and we traded stories of Ishamal for it. This? I was on board with accepting, but with him describing himself as a "Tester" and the like, I'm pretty sure he's trying to deceive us.

FWIW, I don't think he's fallen per se. I think he requested a transfer from "watching" to "testing".

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Theglavwen posted:

El appreciates effort, not technicalities. The return to Zepath is just as much a part of the trial as getting the offering. I cannot imagine he would appreciate us taking a shortcut from a magic man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
[/b]1: Some for me, some for snarls.
2: Heal snarls.
3: L[/b]

Before we decide to send Snarls back or take him with us we should Ask Snarls which he'd want.