Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I kind of wonder what the alternatives were. "Above Average" Curt Hennig?

He's no "Above Average" Mike Sanders, that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dsriggs posted:

He's no "Above Average" Mike Sanders, that's for sure

He'll sure as gently caress remember to shake your hand in the locker room.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I hesitate to ask a question about Colt Cabana because they always seem to result in a derail, but have Raven or Goldberg ever corroborated his stories (or provided their own) about facing antisemitism while employed with the WWE?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was actually a wrestler, Jerry Stubbs, who was in Continental and was using the name "Mr. Perfect" at time Hennig debuted. The WWF bought the name off him.

They apparently did the same for The Undertaker, since there was a tag team in ICW using that name (well, The Undertakers).

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Whats Kofi's problem? Is there any specific reason for him to be a midcarder forever? I know the general opinion of people is that "he's boring" or "he wrestles the same match", but whats the backstage reasoning?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Castomira posted:

I hesitate to ask a question about Colt Cabana because they always seem to result in a derail, but have Raven or Goldberg ever corroborated his stories (or provided their own) about facing antisemitism while employed with the WWE?

I dunno about Raven but I don't think anyone would dare be antisemitic to Goldberg's face. :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

omgomgomg posted:

Whats Kofi's problem? Is there any specific reason for him to be a midcarder forever? I know the general opinion of people is that "he's boring" or "he wrestles the same match", but whats the backstage reasoning?

I'm assuming at least one reason is the same reason why J.R. said MVP could never be a big star: his look/outfit/character perception.

Same with Miz: Before he got a push, he changed outfits and theme music.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

omgomgomg posted:

“I can’t single out one Superstar. But, and this is sort of funny, there was a period of time when the joke backstage was, ‘If you’re having a match with Kofi, you were going to end up with me.’ So I was seeing his opponents one after the other at one point! Then there are Superstars such as John Cena, who barely frequent the training room. But when a medical issue does come up, he’s good about letting us know.” --WWE's doctor. That could be part of it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

omgomgomg posted:

This is based on absolutely nothing, but he seems like a guy that's a little too laid back and doesn't aggressively try to improve his spot on the card. He's a great worker and absolutely turns it on in the ring when he has to, but I get the impression that he doesn't go to Creative with ideas or have that 'hungriness' that HHH and Cena have where they are willing to step over others to move up the card.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Red posted:

I'm assuming at least one reason is the same reason why J.R. said MVP could never be a big star: his look/outfit/character perception.

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is based on absolutely nothing, but he seems like a guy that's a little too laid back

I don't want to turn this into a racism in wrestling thing but, well, you can look at that organization's track record with African-American wrestlers and probably come to a pretty obvious conclusion about why Kofi's stuck at a certain level and has these kinds of tags attached to him.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Kofi Kingston has never really been given an opportunity to talk or have a meaningful storyline. Really, just think about it. How many feuds can you name? We remember things like Kofi splattering paint on Randy's car because they're so rare, the guy has been around for years and had not one single iota of character development.

I don't think he's upset anyone backstage or been held down for any specific reason, he's just a reliable hand that they can throw out there to have okay matches. After years and years of being "just a guy," eventually it sticks. The audience has seen you just be "a guy" for so long that almost no combination of music/gimmick/outfit changes can make people take you seriously as a main eventer. This is WWE's fault way more than Kofi's with the way they do start and stop pushes and never have stories for lower card guys. Kofi just isn't amazing enough like CM Punk or Daniel Bryan to break through WWE's poo poo booking (few are). Eventually guys start performing to the level of their push, and since Kofi is never getting pushed above a time filler level, his matches (and fan enthusiasm for them) have reflected that.

WWE elevates so few people but cuts almost no one these days, so we're left with a midcard of guys like Kofi, Ziggler, R-Truth, Swagger, The Miz, etc. who we've all seen wrestle a million times with no storylines or stakes. The midcard is almost incapable of creating interesting storylines. The Shield is seriously one of the most successful acts they've introduced in forever and it's a wonder they've kept them looking good for nearly a year.

Tato fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 23, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't want to turn this into a racism in wrestling thing but, well, you can look at that organization's track record with African-American wrestlers and probably come to a pretty obvious conclusion about why Kofi's stuck at a certain level and has these kinds of tags attached to him.

Maybe I'm extremely dense, but what's the obvious conclusion I'm supposed to be arriving at? They are in the middle of pushing The Usos, PTP, and Big E right now in their respective divisons. It's still WWE but the culture appears to be changing somewhat. I don't think anyone would call any of the above wrestlers laid-back.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jeffersonlives posted:

I wanted to put Booker and Henry out there as contradictions, but they had to wade through things like "Mizark Henry" and "your kind of people", so....

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe I'm extremely dense, but what's the obvious conclusion I'm supposed to be arriving at? They are in the middle of pushing The Usos, PTP, and Big E right now in their respective divisons. It's still WWE but the culture appears to be changing somewhat. I don't think anyone would call any of the above wrestlers laid-back.

None of those five guys are being made the face of the company. WWF/E has employed plenty of employees of color, but the only one treated well at the top level is The Rock. Mark Henry and Booker T have been pushed, but weren't really the torch-carrier/face of the company at any time. Even when they did get higher exposure, they had to put up with a lot of insulting/offensive crap first (see above).

Red fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 23, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Primetime Players are stuck as prelim tag wrestlers (the Usos are neither much better off nor African-American) and Big E. in the past six months has went from a featured part of one of the top acts in the company to disappearing from television for months for no discernible reason and being treated like a random midcard dude upon his return.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Let's not forget Shelton's momma.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Red posted:

I wanted to put Booker and Henry out there as contradictions, but they had to wade through things like "Mizark Henry" and "your kind of people", so....

Both have also been with the company for over ten years and had to wade through a lot of bullshit in their careers before finally getting that big serious main event push, and even those didn't last too long.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The obvious exception is Rock, of course, although there are very obvious reasons why he'd be the exception that proves the rule.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kofi's fate was sealed the moment he blew that spot with Orton on live TV.

Has Meltzer ever talked about Kofi and his spot?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

oldpainless posted:

Kofi's fate was sealed the moment he blew that spot with Orton on live TV.

Has Meltzer ever talked about Kofi and his spot?

Or, to put it more in context, his fate was sealed the moment he blew that sport with Orton on live TV while forgetting that Orton is also a giant loving baby.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's the story behind this oft mentioned Kofi/Orton blown spot anyway? Is it on YouTube? I'm pretty sure this occurred during the period I wasn't watching.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXRUA42Mx20

Kofi is off his mark for the punt and stands up too quickly, so Randy stiffs him with an RKO and has a tantrum.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The blown spot/Randy tantrum was a couple months after Kofi had already been depushed out of what looked like him being shot to the top.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

VogeGandire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXRUA42Mx20

Kofi is off his mark for the punt and stands up too quickly, so Randy stiffs him with an RKO and has a tantrum.

Doesn't Orton need to have his matches planned out for him, move for move (like Savage used to do?) He doesn't seem to have the ability to improvise on the fly like many others do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The whole Kofi thing sure looked like "let's get Kofi over a little so he means more when Orton kills him"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If we're going to look at managerial racism in the WWE, a small botchy guy who keeps forgetting he's not in a lucha league isn't the best case study.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

What is the "plane ride from hell"?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

If we're going to look at managerial racism in the WWE, a small botchy guy who keeps forgetting he's not in a lucha league isn't the best case study.

It could just be revisionist memory on my part but I feel like a lot of the botch issues seemed to be a result of them pretty much giving him little reason to give a poo poo anymore.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Eat My Fuc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XYABKd5UGo

The WWE flew back from an European tour, and the roster got drunk and rowdy to the point that a bunch of people got fired. Along the ways Hayes got his hair cut off.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Eat My Fuc posted:

A particularly infamous plane ride at the end of a European tour in 2002. To summarize:

-Curt Hennig and Brock Lesnar got into a wrestling match in the aisle of the plane and one of them ended up slamming into the emergency exit door
-Dustin Runnels got piss drunk and started serenading Terri (his ex at that point) over the intercom
-Michael Hayes got piss drunk, passed out, and other wrestlers cut off some of his hair
-Scott Hall was part of no trouble on this trip, mainly because he was passed out on painkillers and whacked out of his gourd.

Numerous people got in trouble or fired because of the behavior on the trip. You can read more about it at http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/The_Plane_Ride_From_Hell

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Haha thanks, this x pac shoot is ridiculous, the thought of Lesnar and Henning flying out of a plane is ridiculous

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you excuse his numerous layoffs, is Goldust the longest-employed active wrestler in WWE right now? I really don't count Taker as active anymore.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oldpainless posted:

If you excuse his numerous layoffs, is Goldust the longest-employed active wrestler in WWE right now? I really don't count Taker as active anymore.

Kane and Mark Henry

and if you're talking about cumulative time since Dustin went to WWE, probably Big Show as well

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I'm watching this Vince Russo shoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_DHYPKdUdM

I can't understand why he is so against Booker T having the belt. I used to watch WCW at this time and I remember Booker being way over.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Eat My Fuc posted:

Vince Russo

I can't understand

I have discovered your issue.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

I have discovered your issue.

Haha point taken

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Russo's opinions often change from shoot video to shoot video. In his earlier ones he was a lot more supportive of Booker, but in his most recent ones strangely enough after the time they were in TNA together when Bookers made some comments that weren't so favourable about Russo, his attitude mysteriously did a 180.

Just assume that anything you can verify with at least two other sources that comes out of Russo's mouth is BS.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

Haha thanks, this x pac shoot is ridiculous, the thought of Lesnar and Henning flying out of a plane is ridiculous

Locked up the whole way down.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I honestly don't know if I can think of a more hilarious way for two men to plunge to their deaths.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What if Doink went out too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

The obvious exception is Rock, of course, although there are very obvious reasons why he'd be the exception that proves the rule.

While they have buried Mark Henry, they have pushed him beyond the bounds of rationality several times. If there was a major anti-black sentiment in the company, he would not have gotten so many chances.