Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Kim Jong Il posted:

Paul just won in Kentucky though, admittedly in 2010.

What? He won 55-45(e:56-44 is you around actually), and his primary win was huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Conway wasn't really trying though.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Joementum posted:

I'm guessing that strategy is that they believe Mitch is unlikely to lose to Bevin, but he might have to spend a bunch of money in order to not lose.

Since Grimes is currently beating McConnell in fund-raising, getting him to burn off a significant fraction of his war chest punching down at a TEA party loser is a pretty valid plan.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
McConnell still has a boatload of cash on hand, even if he's only raking in a couple hundred thousand less per quarter.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Macker leads the Cooch 51-39 in a new Post poll, 53-42 if you pretend Sarvis doesn't exist.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I wonder if "pullng a Cuccinelli" will become a shorthand way of describing a candidate who's too ideologically extreme for a general election (does Akin essentially own this term already?), just as "Martha Coakley" became synonomous with losing a sure thing.

Because people sure hate Ken Cuccinelli!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Terry McAuliffe about to make political history in Virginia, lol. This is an impressive implosion by the Cooch / Virginia GOP / House GOP.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That poll also shows Herring leading Obenshain by 3%. Republicans losing the AG seat in VA would be fairly amazing.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

Joementum posted:

That poll also shows Herring leading Obenshain by 3%. Republicans losing the AG seat in VA would be fairly amazing.

Oh god, please. They've have the AG through several Democratic governors since the 90s sometime. It's where worthless crazy law grads with degrees from places like Liberty go to get jobs, and it is the primary patronage & fundraising farm and candidate grooming/training ground for the Virginia GOP.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

BrotherAdso posted:

Oh god, please. They've have the AG through several Democratic governors since the 90s sometime. It's where worthless crazy law grads with degrees from places like Liberty go to get jobs, and it is the primary patronage & fundraising farm and candidate grooming/training ground for the Virginia GOP.

Well, if you're already voting against Cooch, it's not too much of a stretch to block his party out from his former position. If it was going to happen in any election, this would be the one.

Edit: VVVV They say nasal clothespins make you look 10% better!

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011
Likely voters in that poll have a 53% favorable opinion of McAuliffe (44% unfavorable). This is so strange.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sad Banana posted:

Likely voters in that poll have a 53% favorable opinion of McAuliffe (44% unfavorable). This is so strange.

The Landstander posted:

Because people sure hate Ken Cuccinelli!

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
My only hope for T-Macker is that he boosts the school and college budget so I can move back and get a library job. He can spend the rest of the time raising money for Clinton for all I care (he will). Not like he'd pass anything else with a GOP House anyway.

The fun part now is to see if he has coattails. From what I hear, the decimated House caucus can't recruit worth poo poo and even in Northern VA, where the shutdown looms large, they could only recruit some 5th tier lightweight candidates and retreads. Even the couple of highly touted candidates they got in Obama-won districts have been awful.

Sad story: SEIU helped recruit a Hispanic union member candidate into a seat that went for Obama and should go blue in this environment. since the. they've basically ignored him and haven't even donated to his campaign. I have no idea what's up, but apparently they wanted someone else to show support first (like DPVA) and when they didn't in their usual pathetic fashion, SEIU decided not to help.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sad Banana posted:

The only thing I can believe is that people are signaling a willingness to return to regular old massively corrupt poo poo-head politics, instead of crazy Tea party roller coaster politics. Say what you will about the Clinton-era Democrats, Dude, at least they didn't have an ethos.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 29, 2013

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The Macker leads the Cooch 51-39 in a new Post poll, 53-42 if you pretend Sarvis doesn't exist.

Sad Banana posted:

Honestly, this is why social issues are such a good winning strategy for Democrats: Cuccinelli has ran a pretty explicitly conservative campaign, full of anti-abortion and anti-sex stuff, and he's now losing very loving badly to McAuliffe at least partially because of that.

I know it won't kill it completely, but I wonder if this will at least put a damper on the "not conservative enough":byodood: crowd; Cuccinelli is pretty much the dream right wing/social conservative/Tea Party guy, and he's getting loving hammered in the polls.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

fade5 posted:

Honestly, this is why social issues are such a good winning strategy for Democrats: Cuccinelli has ran a pretty explicitly conservative campaign, full of anti-abortion and anti-sex stuff, and he's now losing very loving badly to McAuliffe at least partially because of that.

I know it won't kill it completely, but I wonder if this will at least put a damper on the "not conservative enough":byodood: crowd; Cuccinelli is pretty much the dream right wing/social conservative/Tea Party guy, and he's getting loving hammered in the polls.

Alternatively, this will prove the futility of hardcore social conservatism and the Republicans will pivot, at least for a time, to economics.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fade5 posted:

Keep in mind that EW Jackson will most likely do better than Cuccinelli. If only they'd run him for Governor instead!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

Whoa this is way more important. I guess that is still to close to call, but I'd love for this to pan out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fade5 posted:

Nope, not only was Cuccinelli not conservative enough, the liberal media tricked Virginia voters into being against the shutdown and blaming Republicans for it.

It's a silly phrase, but "Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed." is the actual world view of a lot of the right. They believe that they actually are the majority and that it's only through tricks by the left and impurity by the right that conservative candidates fail. They are the Silent Majority and Real America, any evidence to the contrary is a liberal lie.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Gyges posted:

Nope, not only was Cuccinelli not conservative enough, the liberal media tricked Virginia voters into being against the shutdown and blaming Republicans for it.

It's a silly phrase, but "Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed." is the actual world view of a lot of the right. They believe that they actually are the majority and that it's only through tricks by the left and impurity by the right that conservative candidates fail. They are the Silent Majority and Real America, any evidence to the contrary is a liberal lie.

Even worse are the deep red Tea Partiers who understand they are the minority and getting more powerless every month. They have decided the only route out is to stockpiles guns and cans of food and ammunition, be self-employed, and wait for the day the rotten society of entitlement and "urban people" the rest of us are building collapses.

In the meantime, they vote for people whose main goal is to obstruct things and/or accelerate the collapse they so desire.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

Why does the AG race tend Republican? Seems like a weird place to split a ballot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why does the AG race tend Republican? Seems like a weird place to split a ballot.
I think in general, "tough on crime" polices and rhetoric are kinda popular with even the portion of the public that's fairly liberal in all other areas.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So cross posting this from the Terrible editorial thread.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/happy-tale-cities-article-1.1483174

"Some rear end in a top hat Harvard Economist" posted:

Mayoral hopeful Bill de Blasio has made “the crisis of income inequality” in New York a major theme of his campaign, arguing that “it must be at the very center of our vision for the next four years.” But the city’s inequality is more a sign of its success than a crisis, and, no matter how much you hope for greater equality world-wide, it is hard to imagine a successful city-level welfare state.
New York’s inequality is extreme. Manhattan is the most unequal big county in the U.S., and the New York area is the country’s seventh most unequal metropolitan area. The Bronx and Brooklyn are more unequal than 90% of America’s more than 3,000 counties.

But this extreme inequality reflects other extraordinary aspects of New York: the massive global financial markets based here, America’s most accessible public transit system, hyper-dense immigrant communities and broad social services, like public housing. These forces attract both rich and poor to New York, and New York should not be ashamed of that economic diversity.
Rather than seeing the disparity between those at the highest and lowest income levels as a disease, we might consider it a defining feature of a remarkable city with unique assets that attract residents from a range of backgrounds.

If anyone should be cringing, it is our more “equal” suburbs — which often zone out the disadvantaged. New York should never aspire to that kind of uniformity of income.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Typically state wide offices that aren't Governor are usually low key elections/campaigns. So people are much more likely to vote more on Party ID and name recognition. It takes a pretty great or terrible candidate to get people to cross party lines in those elections.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

notthegoatseguy posted:

Typically state wide offices that aren't Governor are usually low key elections/campaigns. So people are much more likely to vote more on Party ID and name recognition. It takes a pretty great or terrible candidate to get people to cross party lines in those elections.

And previous Virginia Democratic govenors were triumphs of triangulation in which many people voted Party ID Republican for state delegates, senators, and often Attorney General and then for someone like Tim Kaine for Governor.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KomradeX posted:

So cross posting this from the Terrible editorial thread.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/happy-tale-cities-article-1.1483174

Ed Glaeser is not "some rear end in a top hat Harvard economist", he's one of the preeminent minds in the field of land use economics today. And he's absolutely correct in calling out LI and Westchester for zoning out housing for low income service workers. It is absolutely true that New York City proper has remained a much better option for the poor and very poor than almost any neighboring suburban jurisdiction precisely because it maintains a variety of services that support them.

Glaeser is very much in favor of improving low income individuals' access to the economy by reducing the barriers that local governments throw up in the form of land use regulations.

e: I make no excuses for his support of charter schools, an issue with which I am too unfamiliar to take a firm stance. But his recommended land use policies have been solid for many years and remain so.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 29, 2013

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

fade5 posted:

Man, the optics for Chris Christie are going to be great next Tuesday.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nice Davis posted:

Ed Glaeser is not "some rear end in a top hat Harvard economist", he's one of the preeminent minds in the field of land use economics today. And he's absolutely correct in calling out LI and Westchester for zoning out housing for low income service workers. It is absolutely true that New York City proper has remained a much better option for the poor and very poor than almost any neighboring suburban jurisdiction precisely because it maintains a variety of services that support them.

Glaeser is very much in favor of improving low income individuals' access to the economy by reducing the barriers that local governments throw up in the form of land use regulations.

e: I make no excuses for his support of charter schools, an issue with which I am too unfamiliar to take a firm stance. But his recommended land use policies have been solid for many years and remain so.

As I said in that thread when he writes this "But the best way for a mayor DeBlasio to care for the city is to focus on getting the basics of city government right, not to try to run an ever-larger local welfare state." That makes what your saying ring hallow since he's saying. Yes help the poor, but don't do anything to actually help them. Which does make him some rear end in a top hat Harvard economist. It's nice he might have non lovely opinions, but when you write don't raise taxes to help social services I think that counter acts any pro poor stances he may hold.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KomradeX posted:

As I said in that thread when he writes this "But the best way for a mayor DeBlasio to care for the city is to focus on getting the basics of city government right, not to try to run an ever-larger local welfare state." That makes what your saying ring hallow since he's saying. Yes help the poor, but don't do anything to actually help them. Which does make him some rear end in a top hat Harvard economist. It's nice he might have non lovely opinions, but when you write don't raise taxes to help social services I think that counter acts any pro poor stances he may hold.

The article doesn't say this though. :confused:

e: RE: "Yes help the poor, but don't do anything to actually help them": Reducing regulatory barriers to housing construction is a 100% valid way of helping the poor without taxing a single cent from anyone's pocket. Is there a reason you think that the only useful action a municipality can take is taxing/spending? Because (at least in my experience as a municipal planner) there is a lot that can be achieved through regulatory policy.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 29, 2013

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

He says that explicitly, that New York shouldn't increase its social service spending, and the Deblasio had advocated raising taxes to do so, it is hard not to get that message when he criticizes mayors that have done so and instead advocates for mayors like Ed Koch (who was hell on people seeking squatters rights and knocked down one prominent building owned by the city that was left fallow that squatters were maintaining with the help of ACORN), Guliani and Bloomberg.

I may not have ever read the guy before (or heard of him for that matter) but I still know how to read and how you can miss that v message is beyond me. Finding subtext to a written work is basic literacy.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Nice Davis posted:

Reducing regulatory barriers to housing construction is a 100% valid way of helping the poor without taxing a single cent from anyone's pocket. Is there a reason you think that the only useful action a municipality can take is taxing/spending?

Eh depends where you did this. Building regulations in AZ are the only way our houses don't spontaneously combust. We have some seriously, SERIOUSLY shady contractors. I'd put ours against any of the other 49 states any day if there was a skim-off or embezzling contest.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sancho posted:

Eh depends where you did this. Building regulations in AZ are the only way our houses don't spontaneously combust. We have some seriously, SERIOUSLY shady contractors. I'd put ours against any of the other 49 states any day if there was a skim-off or embezzling contest.
Florida will take that bet!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sancho posted:

I'm speaking anecdotally but the house across the street has been under construction for over a year now and it's making me think they're pulling some Breaking Bad mobile meth house in there.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Sancho posted:

Yep, I work in corporate strategic research for a trade union and I can attest that the southwest in particular (Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas are some of the worst) has some real shady/legally dubious contracting

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sancho posted:

I'm talking about land use policy, specifically both direct and indirect density controls. Examples of indirect density controls include minimum parking requirements, minimum setbacks, and minimum lot sizes.

What you're talking about is building codes, which are really more of a health/safety/wellness thing than zoning is.

e: To clarify, both Glaeser and I support reforming the former, not the latter. Robust building codes are definitely a good thing. They are one of the things that make modern medium- and high-density living so pleasant and attractive.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 29, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sancho posted:

Reducing building regulations to help the poor are generally things like up-zoning (eliminating things like housing height limits or eliminating mandatory parking construction requirements for buildings) or increasing density / enabling denser construction (effective public transportation, multiple use zoning, etc), not lower safety regulations.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reducing building regulations to help the poor are generally things like up-zoning (eliminating things like housing height limits or eliminating mandatory parking construction requirements for buildings) or increasing density / enabling denser construction (effective public transportation, multiple use zoning, etc), not lower safety regulations.

That makes more sense thank you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Cooch is getting pretty desperate in Virginia. He has scrubbed most of his stump speech and replaced it all with calls for Sebelius to resign, Reagan quotes, and pro-canned food drive and anti-human trafficking statements.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Cooch is getting pretty desperate in Virginia. He has scrubbed most of his stump speech and replaced it all with calls for Sebelius to resign, Reagan quotes, and pro-canned food drive and anti-human trafficking statements.

Honestly to me that sounds not at all like desperation, more like a candidate that knows it's over and is trying to exit positively and gracefully as opposed to nuking the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

jeffersonlives posted:

Honestly to me that sounds not at all like desperation, more like a candidate that knows it's over and is trying to exit positively and gracefully as opposed to nuking the earth.

These are his speeches to the suburbs, which he didn't previously tone down. He was still full-throated crazy with Rand Paul at Liberty University a few days ago, so it seems like this is a move to tone it down for the Suburb crowds.

• Locked thread