Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Theguardian is calling out David Cameron for thinly veiled threats made against the media and the guardian specifically:eek:

They're claiming Snowden has ruined the party line and all the terrorists have 'gone silent' oooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Tezzor posted:

Obama is claiming that he had No Idea that the NSA was spying on 35 allied world leaders. There are only three interpretations of this fact, none of them terribly nice. Option one is that Obama is lying. This option is worse than usual because it would demonstrate the sheer arrogance and stupidity of the administration to still keep lying after being humiliated by leaked documents calling them on it half a dozen times so far. Option two is that Obama really did not know, because he is incompetent. Option three is that Obama really did not know, because his knowledge and approval was deliberately suppressed by an NSA that largely considers him irrelevant or under control. The problem is that his failure to fire the head of the NSA for this major diplomatic scandal that he knew nothing about could be seen as evidence of any of the three options.

Or scared shitless? Maybe conspiracy theorists were the proverbial squirrel that got a blind nut this time, if they're spying all the world leaders, it's not out of the possibility that they have lots of intel on our own leaders that might be compromising.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Hey, something Feinstein isn't unconditionally defending, wow:

quote:

Feinstein: Senate intelligence panel in dark on surveillance of allies

The Senate Intelligence Committee was in the dark about National Security Agency surveillance of leaders of U.S. allies like Germany and France, panel chairwoman Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said in a statement Monday.

"Unlike NSA’s collection of phone records under a court order, it is clear to me that certain surveillance activities have been in effect for more than a decade and that the Senate Intelligence Committee was not satisfactorily informed," she said. "Therefore our oversight needs to be strengthened and increased."

Feinstein also said she was "totally opposed" to such efforts and troubled that President Barack Obama apparently did not know about them until recently.

"I do not believe the United States should be collecting phone calls or emails of friendly presidents and prime ministers. The president should be required to approve any collection of this sort," she said. “It is my understanding that President Obama was not aware [German] Chancellor [Angela] Merkel’s communications were being collected since 2002. That is a big problem."

Feinstein said the White House had informed her "that collection on our allies will not continue." However, she said her committee will conduct "a total review of all intelligence programs" in order to make sure panel members "are fully informed as to what is actually being carried out by the intelligence community."

Feinstein's statement listed France, Germany, Mexico and Spain as U.S. allies who should not have been subjected to surveillance and should not be in the future. She did not mention Brazil, whose president recently canceled a state visit to the U.S. in protest over reported NSA surveillance in that nation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
"Lizard People NSA overloads secretly controlling the world" is pretty crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see surveillance of major domestic figures. Think COINTELPRO and J Edgar Hoover type programs, the programs that used to surveil the Martin Luther King Jr figures. There's a pretty rich history of just that happening.

While Occupy was a gigantic trainwreck all on its own I would not have been surprised to hear about monitoring of key figures and network analysis to disrupt what little organizational structure existed. Like what happened last year on the anniversary:

quote:

According to multiple people who have been involved with planning and executing Occupy Wall Street protests the New York City Police Department targeted key organizers for arrests in advance of Monday’s Occupy anniversary demonstrations. These arrests may have prevented the movement from, for the first time, presenting a focused, single message at the center of the protests.

Though Occupy Wall Street has long resisted identifying any leadership, there are core members of the movement who have been instrumental in guiding its path thus far. One man, who Politicker has witnessed organizing several major Occupy Wall Street actions and coordinating with other political figures, said he was arrested over the weekend and prevented from participating in the Occupy birthday bash. The Occupy Wall Street organizer, who requested his name be withheld due to his legal situation, said his arrest prevented him from executing plans to focus Monday’s demonstrations on campaign finance reform.
http://politicker.com/2012/09/occupy-organizers-say-nypd-targeted-and-arrested-the-movements-leaders-before-anniversary-protest/

"Identifying key ringleaders in advance of a protest" is exactly the kind of network analysis stuff that seems to be up the NSA's alley these days.

Obama in particular I find doubtful as a blackmail target. He's as young as you can get, and he's had Republicans poring over his entire life for the past 7 years. If there was something to find, it would have been found by now. I see no reason to postulate NSA blackmail as a reason for his policy shortcomings. It's much more reasonable to hypothesize that he makes lovely neoliberal decisions because he's a lovely neoliberal politician surrounded by lovely neoliberal advisors in a town that's trapped inside a lovely neoliberal bubble.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:

Feinstein said the White House had informed her "that collection on our allies will not continue." However, she said her committee will conduct "a total review of all intelligence programs" in order to make sure panel members "are fully informed as to what is actually being carried out by the intelligence community."

That's it. I'm calling it. She's gone full senile.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Jacobin posted:

Not all relations, just in favour of worse relations. The point started when it started acting non-nonchalantly about it when they got caught, i.e. just recently, if you really are that keen on being a REALISM macho about foreign affairs.

E: Please explain to me what benefit, what national security interest, the USA has in tapping Merkels phone, other than just adopting your apparent POWER. DEAL WITH IT. attitude that is completely hostile to good diplomatic relations. Why would you want good relations with someone who does this too you? Do you really think the powerful nations should just lord over the weaker ones information?

Oh dear lord. You don't see what possible value could come from having direct knowledge of the unfiltered communications between a local superpower and her ministers/other nations? I can get why you might object to it, but you don't even understand why someone might see that as valuable?

Every embassy in every single nation is a forward operating base for espionage. This is the way it's always been. It's a diplomatic discomfort, and the Germans have a reason to be annoyed, but they're doing the exact same thing to us. We got caught, so we'll probably have to concede something in order for this to blow over. But this is simply another instance of the game being played.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Once again, no, I really don't think the Germans have been tapping Obama's phone for the last decade.

Yeah, everyone has some low level tabs on everyone else just to be sure. That's worlds apart from wiretapping the leader one of our closest allies. Siphoning high-level state secrets from an "ally" for a decade is a huge deal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 28, 2013

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's pretty strange to see people here and elsewhere defending pervasive spying on allied leaders when even Obama and Feinstein won't stand behind the programs. There's more Catholic than the Pope and then there's more Feinstein than Feinstein.

The reaction of all these leaders is notable. When it was thought that the NSA was just spying on a couple hundred million worthless normal people, the reaction from US officials ranged from apologetic defense to unapologetic defense and the reaction from most mainstream political officials in Europe ranged from apologetic defense to annoyance. Now that they know that themselves and their friends are under the spotlight, though, now it's an outrage and US leaders are denying responsibility. Reminds me of how nobody gave a gently caress about Nixon spying on god knows how many blacks, leftists, immigrants, intellectuals, etc, but as soon as he tried it on somebody who mattered he was in deep poo poo.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 28, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Tezzor posted:

It's pretty strange to see people here and elsewhere defending pervasive spying on allied leaders when even Obama and Feinstein won't stand behind the programs. There's more Catholic than the Pope and then there's more Feinstein than Feinstein.

On top of that, even if all of the US decided that this is nothing to be upset about, we're not really the important arbiters in this case. The international reaction, especially among US allies, is what really counts, and at this point all indications are that this is going to be a really big deal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Once again, no, I really don't think the Germans have been tapping Obama's phone for the last decade.

Yeah, everyone has some low level tabs on everyone else just to be sure. That's worlds apart from wiretapping the leader one of our closest allies. Siphoning high-level state secrets from an "ally" for a decade is a huge deal.

I liked the GCHQ story too how they setup lots of honeypot traps during the G20 conference to harvest intel from allied countries such as Turkey and France.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Paul MaudDib posted:

How could you possibly even have an educated guess about this?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

StarMagician posted:

How could you possibly even have an educated guess about this?
Well, he probably guessed that the German intelligence leaders would compare the small benefits Germany would get by tapping Obama versus the diplomatic and political backlash it would create if they get caught and decided that it would be a petty, short sighted, pretty ineffective in term of intelligence gathered, highly risky and a potential career suicide move for the officers involved. But at the same time the German intelligence leaders aren't a multi-billion dollars industry that can spy on politicians and activists to defend their own interest. Unless i missed a new state within the state taking over in Germany recently.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aurubin posted:

Hey, something Feinstein isn't unconditionally defending, wow:
Yeah this is pretty surprising, she has been one of the biggest NSA cheerleaders through this whole thing. Although I guess we shouldn't celebrate, since she didn't give a crap about domestic spying, but for some reason spying on allies is a bridge too far.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Feinstein doesn't like it because she and her committee were left out of the game.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Feinstein doesn't like it because she and her committee were left out of the game.

Either that, or she ran out too far ahead of things when all this started and is using this incident to throw the NSA under the bus. I'd like to believe in naked populism, but I suspect your answer is closer to the truth.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Nah, she's just pushing the 'Obama didn't know' narrative and making token statements to quell anger. She's still the same ol NSA Feinstein.

Sancho fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 29, 2013

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Fojar38 posted:

While I doubt that D&D will accept that definition of national security, I will point out that "national security" goes beyond just military threats, it includes assessing diplomatic, economic, political, and ideological threats as well.

Could you explain what would constitute economic or ideological threats?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Which country will be the first to publish their version of the Mandiant APT 1 report on the NSA?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

more friedman units posted:

Could you explain what would constitute economic or ideological threats?

Not blindly following US economic and political hegemony is a obvious threat.

Also sneaky Euros steal US business through bribes and other tricks in order to sell their inferior products:
http://cryptome.org/echelon-cia.htm

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Greenwald linked this, it's Dana Perino, the prototype of the snide Aryan Republican Fox News lady, defending Obama and the NSA. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/shep-smith-nsa-dana-perino_n_4171384.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Greenwald uses this to demonstrate that insider status is more important than ideology as to the opinions of the media class, but that isn't even the interesting part, to me. The more interesting part is the top comment, from David Kronmiller, one of HuffPo's paid pundits:

quote:

Come on - spies spy - they have since the American Revolution.

I get wanting to change how we do things but let's not act like this is a new revelation - if it is new to you than well - I don't know what to say - I really don't. It boggles my mind that people are surprised by any of this.

The NSA's only job is to do what they are doing - we've known this for a long time - it's been around since the 1950's. Every president has used them.

And we of course spy on countries like Germany - let's not forget they were behind TWO world wars and even until recently were giving aide to Iran and Syria - so let's not act like they're a bastion of good behavior.

And let's also not forget that we got Bin Laden by spying. By bugging people. By following them. By reading their emails and listening to their phone calls and by killing a few people along the way.

And let's stop hiding behind the constitution - it is not a perfect document and leaves a lot open to interpretation which is why we need new digital privacy laws. When the constitution was written there weren't even phones folks!

And accessing a server at a Google data center is not a 4th violation. It's not. Those terms of use you agree to WAIVE YOUR RIGHTS. Read them carefully.

The 4th does protect you from someone coming to your home and entering it without permission or a warrant and taking stuff physically from you. That's what it protects. NOTHING ELSE.

Which is why we need new laws to protect our digital content and our phone conversations.

And don't think "warrants" mean any thing - it's just one judge's opinion based on a cop or law enforcement officers partial data. It's not flawless and it is not real oversight. It's just a stop gap and a paper trail and all of the NSA stuff apparently has that step in place. Even if rubber stamped.

And anyone curious who Germany spies on?

So here we have a rapid-fire Gish Gallop of the most hackneyed and idiotic pro-NSA cliches imaginable, and it's the top comment on the most liberal precinct of the liberal media. I think that really makes the point better than some hack like Perino defending the MIC. Kronmiller is hardly an insider.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tezzor posted:

Greenwald linked this, it's Dana Perino, the prototype of the snide Aryan Republican Fox News lady, defending Obama and the NSA. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/shep-smith-nsa-dana-perino_n_4171384.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Greenwald uses this to demonstrate that insider status is more important than ideology as to the opinions of the media class, but that isn't even the interesting part, to me. The more interesting part is the top comment, from David Kronmiller, one of HuffPo's paid pundits:

So here we have a rapid-fire Gish Gallop of the most hackneyed and idiotic pro-NSA cliches imaginable, and it's the top comment on the most liberal precinct of the liberal media. I think that really makes the point better than some hack like Perino defending the MIC. Kronmiller is hardly an insider.

Oh boy it was a great goodman's law meltdown especially breaking the whole "Don't mention the war" rule, because of Hitler it's ok to spy on the germans.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

And anyone curious who Germany spies on?

No? Not one drat bit. The German government can't do poo poo to me. My own government sure can tho!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sancho posted:

No? Not one drat bit. The German government can't do poo poo to me. My own government sure can tho!

You don't think the Germans are (were? :v:) engaged in mutual intelligence sharing with your government? :)

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I recommend this Guardian op-ed by the former US ambassador to Croatia during the Clinton years, it sums up my position on this succinctly. I was never outraged by the fact that US Intelligence services were monitoring, it was Keith Alexander's "Collect it All" paradigm that I thought was a profoundly bad investigative strategy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aurubin posted:

I recommend this Guardian op-ed by the former US ambassador to Croatia during the Clinton years, it sums up my position on this succinctly. I was never outraged by the fact that US Intelligence services were monitoring, it was Keith Alexander's "Collect it All" paradigm that I thought was a profoundly bad investigative strategy.

I like this part with the typical Snowden character assassination

quote:

In the field of intelligence, more is not necessarily better. In order to collect, analyze and use the vast quantities of data, the US government provides security clearances to hundreds of thousands of government employees and contractors.

The Obama administration is in its current mess because Booz Allen Hamilton, a contractor doing billions of dollars of secret work for the government, gave a troubled 29-year-old high school graduate access to a vast array of secrets.

I think the administration is in a mess for another reason, maybe letting the intelligence complex grow without proper oversight or even worrying what would happen if all the secrets were brought to light?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

etalian posted:

I like this part with the typical Snowden character assassination

I think the administration is in a mess for another reason, maybe letting the intelligence complex grow without proper oversight or even worrying what would happen if all the secrets were brought to light?

Ha, my ideological blinders must be great because I don't remember reading that part. There was an extended Washington Post stor over the summer that investigated the metastasis of the intelligence community after 9/11 that was really telling. They interviewed an analyst who said how he was overwhelmed and everything was held together with string and hope while former NSA Director Dennis Blair was swimming through the piles of SIGINT Scrooge McDuck style.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

etalian posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the underlying problem. We have a vast array of technological spying solutions, and we're still trapped in the RAND game-theory mindset where we assume that everyone is trying to gently caress us all the time so if we don't use a tool then we're losing because it's probably being used on us.

I can't find a link right now, but I remember an interesting interview on the topic. Basically it boils down to the concept that all people are rational and rational people would try to dominate the world, and so the proper way to act is to balance that at all times (domino theory/mutual assured destruction). When RAND Corp first set this up in the early post-war environment, their first studies on the topic were done using their secretaries. The problem was that the secretaries weren't "rational" in the game - rather than trying to better their own outcomes, they would help the opposing players, which was totally mystifying to the RAND brains. The model didn't fit reality. But at the same time people needed a "mathematically provable" system they could understand that would guarantee that we never had a nuclear war, so at that point they set about shaping reality to the model. They modified the problems to make cooperation more damaging and obstinate more rewarding. And later on, after people had been steeped in red scares, MAD, and game theory, they started behaving "rationally". They started acting paranoid and malicious towards the other players.

That's really the same mindset we see right now. If we can place a camera in Merkel's bathroom, we absolutely have to place it because you know those sneaky huns would do it if they had the chance, and we cannot allow a bathroom-camera gap (it would be the end of our republic as we know it). We have a huge fetish for tech-based solutions to compensate for our total inadequacy in the HUMINT areas. And finally we're totally insulated from any of the consequences of this because we live oceans away from any serious blowback.

e: I'm pretty sure this is Adam Curtis' The Trap

quote:

1. "F**k You Buddy" (11 March 2007)[edit]
In this episode, Curtis examines the rise of game theory during the Cold War and the way in which its mathematical models of human behaviour filtered into economic thought.

The programme traces the development of game theory with particular reference to the work of John Nash (the mathematician portrayed in A Beautiful Mind), who believed that all humans were inherently suspicious and selfish creatures that strategised constantly. Using this as his first premise, Nash constructed logically consistent and mathematically verifiable models, for which he won the Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences, commonly referred to as the Nobel Prize in Economics. He invented system games reflecting his beliefs about human behaviour, including one he called "gently caress Your Buddy" (later published as "So Long Sucker"), in which the only way to win was to betray your playing partner, and it is from this game that the episode's title is taken. These games were internally coherent and worked correctly as long as the players obeyed the ground rules that they should behave selfishly and try to outwit their opponents,[citation needed] but when RAND's analysts tried the games on their own secretaries, they instead chose not to betray each other but to cooperate every time. This did not, in the eyes of the analysts, discredit the models but instead proved that the secretaries were unfit subjects. See U.S. Air Force Project RAND Memorandum RM-789-1, "Some Experimental Games," Merill M. Flood, 20 June 1952, pp. 15–16: "This is in contrast to the proposed theoretical solution in which the two secretaries would have shared the amount g only, with the first secretary receiving m in addition. Upon inquiry, it developed that they had entered into the experiment with the prior agreement to share all proceeds equally!"

What was not known at the time was that Nash was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and, as a result, was deeply suspicious of everyone around him—including his colleagues—and was convinced that many were involved in conspiracies against him. It was this mistaken belief that led to his view of people as a whole that formed the basis for his theories. Footage of an older and wiser Nash was shown in which he acknowledges that his paranoid views of other people at the time were false.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_(TV_series)#1._.22F.2A.2Ak_You_Buddy.22_.2811_March_2007.29

Much of the modern American mindset and public policy can probably be traced directly back to a literal paranoid schizophrenic nut.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 30, 2013

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The most interesting thing about the kind of thinking that game theory induces is that it allows you, the aggressor, to believe that you're acting in self-defense. Look at the most recent crop of apologists. We have to spy on allied nations, because if not they would spy on us. There's not a shred of available evidence anywhere that any nation aside from Russia or China has even thought about any collection system of this magnitude directed against us, and we've certainly never been the victim of it, but we're just defending ourselves against their sinister plans which we have imagined into existence. Maybe this logic was somewhat defensible when what was riding on the line was the collapse of human civilization and the death of billions, but now? What happens now if we act sub-optimally? Some dirty foreigners might get a bit of an unfair advantage in some business deals and diplomatic arrangements until such time as we find them out. Not really the same game.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

The main thing that worries me is the attitude of the intelligence community that this is only being done for our "protection". The funny thing is that is what countries say when they are turning towards totalitarian governments. I understand that with the advent of the Internet there is no privacy anymore and there are some things a country's citizens should not know about. This however...is just too far. This is like J. Edgar Hoover bullshit and it isn't too far of a logical leap to think that data on these people's personal secrets are being kept somewhere for "in case of emergency, break glass" moments. I just find the whole thing extremely distasteful and worrisome for the future of the world.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Tezzor posted:

The most interesting thing about the kind of thinking that game theory induces is that it allows you, the aggressor, to believe that you're acting in self-defense. Look at the most recent crop of apologists. We have to spy on allied nations, because if not they would spy on us. There's not a shred of available evidence anywhere that any nation aside from Russia or China has even thought about any collection system of this magnitude directed against us, and we've certainly never been the victim of it, but we're just defending ourselves against their sinister plans which we have imagined into existence. Maybe this logic was somewhat defensible when what was riding on the line was the collapse of human civilization and the death of billions, but now? What happens now if we act sub-optimally? Some dirty foreigners might get a bit of an unfair advantage in some business deals and diplomatic arrangements until such time as we find them out. Not really the same game.
None of the other nations could have done this even if they wanted to. America is in a very privileged position with regards to the amount of Internet traffic that goes through our computers and the number of internationally popular websites hosted within our jurisdiction.

At the end of the day it is naked imperialism. "Economic interests" and "political interests" are just another way of asserting that our status as a superpower is an end in itself, one that justifies any means whatsoever. And as with all imperialism, we're now we're seeing the first signs of blowback.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 29, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There is a huge difference between trying to put stuff back into pandora's box, and actively collecting information about the citizenry then keeping all that information secret.

One is a fairly benign, but ultimately futile endeavor, the other is the stuff dystopian nightmares are composed of, nothing is worth that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Ha, my ideological blinders must be great because I don't remember reading that part. There was an extended Washington Post stor over the summer that investigated the metastasis of the intelligence community after 9/11 that was really telling. They interviewed an analyst who said how he was overwhelmed and everything was held together with string and hope while former NSA Director Dennis Blair was swimming through the piles of SIGINT Scrooge McDuck style.

Yeah it's somewhat amusing to see the NSA buy the whole quantity vacuum up the whole haystack argument, even though the insane amounts of data ended up overwhelming analysts as shown by being caught flatfooted by things such as the Syrian sarin attacks.

On a side note the NSA denies it was bulk collecting Eurozone phone calls:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2dbc_story.html

Also USA is best in the world at providing intel apparatus oversight:

quote:

In reply to questions from Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), the committee chairman, Clapper said flatly that U.S. allies, including members of the European Union, have engaged in espionage targeted at the United States. He said European policymakers and legislators often are not aware of everything their own intelligence agencies are up to and “may not have familiarity with exactly how their intelligence operations work.”

Clapper added that “there is no other country on this planet” that exercises oversight over intelligence activities to the extent that the United States does.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 29, 2013

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

I've read that the EU wants to put trade restrictions on the US over all this, what would this imply for the world economy if it goes ahead? Do you guys think it'll just be a minor annoyance to both sides or a major set-back?

Also how can relations possibly be repaired from this? Yes everyone spies but it's the US that has been caught with it's pants down so is it just going to be a case of forgive and forget?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Thrasophius posted:

I've read that the EU wants to put trade restrictions on the US over all this, what would this imply for the world economy if it goes ahead? Do you guys think it'll just be a minor annoyance to both sides or a major set-back?

It won't ever happen. The EU is just as bad and is complicit with the USA in spying. They're just spouting off for youtube clips and other election fodder.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What was really funny about today's House Intel Committee hearing was Schiff arguing directly with Rogers about whether the members of the Committee were informed about the espionage on foreign leaders, Merkel in particular. Rogers said everyone knew, Schiff directly rebutted him in a protracted exchange. Rogers reclaimed his time from Schiff in response, which is Congressional code for "gently caress you".

EDIT: Leahy and Sensenbrenner introduced their bill yesterday on NSA reform, with a joint POLITICO op-ed. ACLU endorsed the bill. Scuttlebutt is that if Feinstein's bill went to the House it'd be DOA. Guess the Tea Party is good for something.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 29, 2013

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Aurubin posted:

What was really funny about today's House Intel Committee hearing was Schiff arguing directly with Rogers about whether the members of the Committee were informed about the espionage on foreign leaders, Merkel in particular. Rogers said everyone knew, Schiff directly rebutted him in a protracted exchange. Rogers reclaimed his time from Schiff in response, which is Congressional code for "gently caress you".

EDIT: Leahy and Sensenbrenner introduced their bill yesterday on NSA reform, with a joint POLITICO op-ed. ACLU endorsed the bill. Scuttlebutt is that if Feinstein's bill went to the House it'd be DOA. Guess the Tea Party is good for something.

Haha, hadn't heard of this, incredible

techdirt posted:

Rogers focused on tossing out a bunch of softball questions to the panel to get them to say that they had clearly informed the House Intelligence Committee about spying on foreign leaders. After the softballs were hit back, Rogers would add a stage-whispered "Hmm," followed by an angry attack on reporters for buying into the story that the NSA hadn't informed Congress.

Of course, given that Rogers' counterpart in the Senate, Dianne Feinstein, claims that she wasn't informed, this seems a bit strange. But it got even stranger when various other committee members, including Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Rep. Adam Schiff made it clear that they had no idea this was going, despite being on the committee.

That resulted in an incredible exchange, in which Rogers attacked others on the Committee, suggesting that they should just shut up if they're going to say they weren't informed -- hinting that some Committee members "do more work than others." Schiff, quite reasonably, appeared to take offense to this, and challenged Rogers, asking for more details as to when and how the Committee was told about spying on foreign leaders. Rogers without actually answering the question kept "warning" other members not to say something about this. Schiff broke in again (with Rogers trying to stop him from talking) to ask if the Committee was directly informed about this or if it was just a giant data dump of information that he would have had to go through carefully to find out who they were spying on. Rogers again refused to answer the question, and again hinted that those who put in the "effort" would have known about this -- and then flat out cut off Schiff and handed the floor to Rep. Michele Bachmann, who went back to tossing softballs (sample question: "Do you think Snowden is a traitor?").

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Alexander denied that it was the NSA directly spying on European countries, saying they got the info from their European counterparts. Quite frankly, I believe Alexander, at least partially. I don't know where to parse out where he's obfuscating, but I believe the foundations of his side.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Alexander denied that it was the NSA directly spying on European countries, saying they got the info from their European counterparts. Quite frankly, I believe Alexander, at least partially. I don't know where to parse out where he's obfuscating, but I believe the foundations of his side.

I'm sure the old ECHELON system is just gathering dust after the Cold War and the NSA would never abuse its brick&mortar presence in the Eurozone to get some intel.

The sneaky jounralists can't read powerpoint slides

quote:

Apparently referring to a slide outlining the information, Alexander said the leaker and reporters “did not understand what they were looking at.”

Poor Alexander he puts so much effort into selling a certain talking point, only for it to get demolished by the next batch of leak articles.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 30, 2013

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

etalian posted:

I'm sure the old ECHELON system is just gathering dust after the Cold War and the NSA would never abuse its brick&mortar presence in the Eurozone to get some intel.

The sneaky jounralists can't read powerpoint slides

Poor Alexander he puts so much effort into selling a certain talking point, only for it to get demolished by the next batch of leak articles.

Well eventually they have to run out of impartial docs to publish. Dunno what's left, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
I liked this quote from the end of the House hearing

Mike Rogers posted:

Your privacy cannot be violated if you do not know your privacy has been violated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQ4EN3Rh30&feature=share

• Locked thread