Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I loooove those rain-to-snow transitions we get where you have to brush off 3 inches of snow to get at the 1" of ice on your windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

CommieGIR posted:

Those belts look....okay.

The topsides look ok but the side with the ribs were all cracked and rotted. I should've taken a picture of the other side ok? The AC compressor belt looked ok like that too except it was split down the length into two smaller belts running side by side.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Until today, I thought most OEM crank pulleys were made from a solid hunk of metal and that a harmonic balancer was something along the lines of a balance shaft, i.e. found on certain but not all engines. It doesn't help that most 'performance' lightned, underdriven crank pulleys are machined from billet aluminum, with no consideration to dampening crankshaft harmonics.

The belts posted above do look pretty nice compared to the ones I took off my sister's car, [this space reserved] for a picture tomorrow. If those are originals, than mine were definitely original and going on 16 years old. The timing belt on the other hand, at 6 years old and 70k miles, looked fresh. I'm guessing the last mechanic replaced the timing belt and just threw the old accessory belts back on. :effort:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That rubber bit gives the crankshaft some damping so that waves don't resonate back down the crank, but lose some energy in the rubber before reflecting, reducing the ability of the system to resonate. Lots of engines don't have any harmonic damping. If you don't load the engine at idle or slightly above it, it mostly isn't a problem.

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
Found this Gem on an 85 325e Automatic E30 with 450,000+ Miles on it at a Pick-N-Pull

Both rears were the same... My guess is the effect was heavy brake bias toward the front...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
At first I was like, "man I didn't know 6 cylinder E30s ever had drum rears" and then I was like :stare:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
At first I thought the issue was the missing wheel studs, and didn't pay much attention to anything else - and then I was also like :stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xp67 posted:

At first I thought the issue was the missing wheel studs, and didn't pay much attention to anything else - and then I was also like :stare:

Most German cars use wheel bolts instead of studs & lug nuts.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Fucknag posted:

3 wheel bolts and one stud

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

poo poo, didn't even notice that til now.

Although I think BMWs come with a screw-in stud to line up the wheel when you're changing a spare. Point stands. You can see the threads in the open holes.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
So here are some manufacturing defects in an iPhone 4s I bought on eBay to take apart. Thought I'd share.

This is a welded stand off for Id guess about a #2 screw:

Note the 4/7 welds incomplete, 2 of 3 good welds have clear stress concentrations.

Another standoff with incomplete weld, really only 3/5 can be considered good.

Presumably good spot welds, I thought this picture was neat because it illustrates that the outer case is a heat sink. Rounded edges indicate sheet metal back and the color indicates stainless steel to me.

Here is the joint of two parts of the outer steel case, it looks like that block is brazed to some sheet metal and there's a crack running through the braze.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 30, 2013

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
In those last pictures I believe you are looking at a rubber/plastic/non-metallic spacer used to insulate both of those sections of metal case since they are used as an antenna. That was the huge slip=on case recall thing since peoples fingers would bridge the connection and cause the reception to take a poo poo.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dietcokefiend posted:

In those last pictures I believe you are looking at a rubber/plastic/non-metallic spacer used to insulate both of those sections of metal case since they are used as an antenna. That was the huge slip=on case recall thing since peoples fingers would bridge the connection and cause the reception to take a poo poo.

No I am looking at the brazing (I think it is) joint between two steel pieces. The is a crack running from the dove tail cut spacer down a few cm that is magnified in the second picture.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

That was the huge slip=on case recall thing since peoples fingers would bridge the connection and cause the reception to take a poo poo.
That was the AT&T iPhone 4, not the 4s. (The later Verizon iPhone 4 had fixed it, as well.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Endless Mike posted:

That was the AT&T iPhone 4, not the 4s. (The later Verizon iPhone 4 had fixed it, as well.)

When I got my 4, (on release day) I tried HARD to replicate the antenna-gate problems, and really couldn't. The only way I could come close was to death grip the entire surround of the phone with my forefingers and thumbs of both hands, and even then, I would still have (degraded) reception.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fucknag posted:

It seems like that would make it a pain in the rear end to put a wheel back on, unless you had at least one stud like someone mentioned. Is there any reason to do it that way, or just "german engineering"? I thought some tracks required studs over bolts, so it doesn't seem like there would be an advantage to bolts in terms of safety.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
After you've owned a BMW for a few years you tend to get pretty good at sticking wheels back on and lining them up. It is a pain in the rear end though.

My understanding is that wheel bolts are marginally stronger, but probably not enough to really matter. I prefer them for looks, but that's about it. Of course my current wheels have bolt covers so you can't even see them at all.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How much more hosed are you if you strip the bolt hole, rather than a stud?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Root Bear posted:

I'm not sure how this was able to hold 40 psi of air, but it did. :psyduck:

I put 800km of abuse onto this and it still didn't bust loose.

I'll probably blow it up in a burnout competition at some point.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

So here are some manufacturing defects in an iPhone 4s I bought on eBay to take apart. Thought I'd share.

This is a welded stand off for Id guess about a #2 screw:

Note the 4/7 welds incomplete, 2 of 3 good welds have clear stress concentrations.

Another standoff with incomplete weld, really only 3/5 can be considered good.

Presumably good spot welds, I thought this picture was neat because it illustrates that the outer case is a heat sink. Rounded edges indicate sheet metal back and the color indicates stainless steel to me.

Here is the joint of two parts of the outer steel case, it looks like that block is brazed to some sheet metal and there's a crack running through the braze.

How did you actually take such magnified photos? I'm just curious.

Phy posted:

You replace the rotating hub which either comes on it's own on the older cars (basically pre-e28/e30) or as a wheel bearing+hub assembly on the newer ones. It really isn't that big a pain. It's theoretically more expensive than snapping a stud on a normal car, but some conventional cars you have to press apart the wheel bearing+hub assembly to get the studs out. Which is a joyous task filled with agony if you don't have a press and the right spacers on hand.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Slavvy posted:

How did you actually take such magnified photos? I'm just curious.

You replace the rotating hub which either comes on it's own on the older cars (basically pre-e28/e30) or as a wheel bearing+hub assembly on the newer ones. It really isn't that big a pain. It's theoretically more expensive than snapping a stud on a normal car, but some conventional cars you have to press apart the wheel bearing+hub assembly to get the studs out. Which is a joyous task filled with agony if you don't have a press and the right spacers on hand.

Something like this
http://www.edmundoptics.com/imaging/cameras/usb-cameras/eo-usb-2-0-cmos-machine-vision-cameras/2818

Mounted to the top of a microscope.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phy posted:

Marginally moreso. You're less likely to strip the threads out of the hub (good) so you ust may be able to extract it. But if you can't you're replacing a hub rather than just banging a piece of a stud out and putting a new one in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

It seems like that would make it a pain in the rear end to put a wheel back on, unless you had at least one stud like someone mentioned. Is there any reason to do it that way, or just "german engineering"? I thought some tracks required studs over bolts, so it doesn't seem like there would be an advantage to bolts in terms of safety.

Studs that aren't pressed in are nice because you can swap them out if they get mangled up somehow and its easy to visually inspect them to ensure proper thread engagement. They also allow you to ensure you have enough thread engagement if you swap to wider wheels. If you do that with standard bolts you will need longer bolts.

revmoo posted:

After you've owned a BMW for a few years you tend to get pretty good at sticking wheels back on and lining them up. It is a pain in the rear end though.

My understanding is that wheel bolts are marginally stronger, but probably not enough to really matter. I prefer them for looks, but that's about it. Of course my current wheels have bolt covers so you can't even see them at all.

In the trunk toolkit there is a tool to align the wheel on the hub.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How is it difficult to line the wheel up on the hub? I must have done it a thousand times and never thought "I need a special tool to line these holes up with those holes"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've never bothered either, but if you were dressed nicely and on the side of the road needing to swap a spare it would make it easier. It's not like you have to go buy it--it comes with the car.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

In the trunk toolkit there is a tool to align the wheel on the hub.

My girlfriends dad was amazed when i told him what that was for. He has a e36 m3 and a e92 m3 and was complaining about how much of a pain in the rear end it was to get the wheels back on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

How is it difficult to line the wheel up on the hub? I must have done it a thousand times and never thought "I need a special tool to line these holes up with those holes"

On my car the OEM alloys fit so snugly on the hub that the wheel stays in place by itself, making it super easy to put in the bolts.

Precision engineering :france:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
And if not, the ones here are super nice.

My mates audi has lug bolts as well, and for some reason the disks had ten holes and the hub five, and the disk spun freely on the hub. That was a bit of a pain to align.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phy posted:

Which would you rather buy and replace? The $1 stud or several tens of dollars hub?

And yes, confirming the "its a massive pain in the rear end" sentiment. My wife used to have a new Beetle and I had to change a flat for her once. NEVER AGAIN. Although the wheels are pretty far down on the list of reasons why I've banned her from ever owning another VW product again...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Benefit to small (light) tires: on a bug you can rest the tire on the toes of one foot to get things lined up. Simply bend your ankle a bit to elevate to the right spot, and use your free hand to get the bolts started (your other hand will be doing one of three things: bracing the tire, keeping you from falling over, or fishing around on the ground for the next bolt).

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

bolind posted:

And if not, the ones here are super nice.

My mates audi has lug bolts as well, and for some reason the disks had ten holes and the hub five, and the disk spun freely on the hub. That was a bit of a pain to align.

This. The first time the rotor slips out of alignment with the hub and you're trying to trick it back into place with the car hovering on a scissor jack, that little threaded peg starts to make all kinds of sense. The hub centric fit seems like it's enough, until you remember that when the studs are in the hub; they also keep the rotor from rotating freely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Now I'm just upset I don't have an alignment tool in my e46.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I will never own a loving BMW because of this thread.

Edit: There was drat near a zero chance of that anyway, but still.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have never had an issue with the wheel bolts. It really is not that big of a deal, and if you can't manage to line up 4 or 5 holes on the hub of a car, I don't think you should be working on cars. It's really not a big issue at all.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Agreed, it's not that big of a deal.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Change high offset, wide track wheels that will not on the hub without balancing them. Now do that twice a day for every event and then get back to me on that. Cuts minutes off changing time which matters when it's the end of the day and your in 30C sun. With studs installed I just chuck on the wheel I'm mounting, thread on all the studs then drive them on with a cordless impact. It makes it easier and quicker so I don't really see a reason to keep the bolts.

It also means you can run multiple spacer thicknesses, but that is more specific to aftermarket studs. It isn't hard to put the wheels on with bolts, but it makes it easier enough that I'd rather just have studs on everything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My wheel/tire combo weighs drat near 90lbs so I would get pissed off at lug bolts in a hurry. But then again, I wouldn't put 90lbs of wheel/tire on each corner of a bmw, either :haw:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Quick, how much do i bid.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A former coworker had a lowered Mk. IV GTI, which had the driver's front wheel spaced out because somehow that strut was angled differently form the other side. He had also lost the bolt locking the rotor to the hub.

So the couple times I had to rotate his wheels, that corner you had hub, rotor, spacer, and wheel. 4 sets of holes. All free to rotate independently.

My hatred for wheel bolts was forged in those flames, and burned brightly ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Quick, how much do i bid.

$500, pray, make fummins.