Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TKMobile posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while Koizumi was the one who actually did something bad by tampering with the evidence, didn't the other girls all basically go "gently caress this, it ain't my problem..." or otherwise turn a blind eye to the event or were scared of/refused to get involved?

That doesn't make them evil or bad people.

Hell, look at E-Ko. She got mad and knocked out the child of a Yakuza boss (who by all accounts who used her family status to intimidate and bully other people). There could be an argument made that if E-Ko hadn't killed Kuzuryuu's sister, she would have been killed in retaliation just for daring to attack her. (Even though that's what ended up happening anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, if Monobear isn't 100% in control of this situation, it has an important implication: his ability or lack thereof to break the rules.

In the first game, Monobear was willing to let the innocent protagonist die to further his despair plans. Here, if he is only able to kill because the murderer "deserves" it, eye for an eye, then he couldn't pull something similar.

Likewise, could he kill the group for guessing wrong or refusing to participate? He says he can, but I am unsure...

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Bobulus posted:

You know, if Monobear isn't 100% in control of this situation, it has an important implication: his ability or lack thereof to break the rules.

In the first game, Monobear was willing to let the innocent protagonist die to further his despair plans. Here, if he is only able to kill because the murderer "deserves" it, eye for an eye, then he couldn't pull something similar.

Likewise, could he kill the group for guessing wrong or refusing to participate? He says he can, but I am unsure...

That's a good point. He had every opportunity to kill them all just by going with Pekoyama's argument and didn't take it. The last Monobear was concerned with putting on a good show, but who knows what this version's motives are.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

vaguely posted:

Gyo is The Best Manga.
I'd like to make an objection

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ytlaya posted:

While it has yet to benefit me (largely because I'm not the type of person to try and take advantage of it), to this day I consider the fact that one of my good friends from university is a millionaire more important than all of my talent and work ethic combined. And the main reason I have the job I currently do is because I went to the city's top public high school and knew a bunch of really privileged kids, with my current boss being my friend's dad. Yeah, I had to be able to do the work (programming and being able to understand biology/statistics concepts), but I'm pretty certain that I'd be working for minimum wage if not for this. I've always considered it sort of an obvious thing that the biggest advantage to "good" schools/universities is the networking potential (probably followed by funding, particularly if you're talking about university and some sort of scientific research).

Yeah drive has like fuckall to do with success anymore. No one really gives a poo poo about your potential or how hard you work, they want someone with credentials, even if those credentials are themselves completely unrelated to what you're applying for. That's why even entry-level jobs are demanding you have like three years of experience anymore, it's more profitable to let newbies starve in the streets and just sit around for months hoping and praying that an experienced professional will fall for your trap than it is to take the risk that the newbie can actually get some work done in that same time.

quote:

All that being said, Hope's Peak is a little strange in that so many of the talents are very odd and sort of by their very nature unrelated (in the sense that you don't have the top 10 people in a given field, but rather the top person in 10 fields who may be absolutely terrible at everything other than their chosen field).

Given Hope's Peak's selection metrics I'm kind of surprised at the number of nominally well-adjusted people they have. Even Yamada, Gundam, and Fukawa had/have rudimentary social skills. I wouldn't be surprised if nine out of every ten students was an autistic mess who was, or had the potential to be, a virtuoso at their chosen field, but couldn't spit out a whole sentence if they had to say it to another person.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

ThirdEmperor posted:

That's a good point. He had every opportunity to kill them all just by going with Pekoyama's argument and didn't take it. The last Monobear was concerned with putting on a good show, but who knows what this version's motives are.

Well, it's kind of a waste...

I mean, if you went to all the trouble to set up this huge elaborate loving island and everything, would you want it to end so soon? While Monobear might obey his own rules when the situation leaves him no wiggle room, if he can keep the game alive with a loose interpretation I assume he's going to.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

kvltmanifesto posted:

I'd like to make an objection

OK OK Junji Ito's entire career is the best manga.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

vaguely posted:

OK OK Junji Ito's entire career is the best manga.

We've started discussing Junji Ito's manga career

SLOWBEEF WHERE ARE YOU?!?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Bobulus posted:

We don't know, though. In the first game, Monobear was a stickler for the rules. Until he wasn't, oops. We can't assume anything out of him so far. He may just be following the rules because it's more fun for now.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Considering that Koizumi found out that she had ties to Saionji, Ibuki, and Mikan, I can't help but wonder if Saionji will ultimately try to bring that group back together to honor Koizumi's memory or something.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

We don't know, though. In the first game, Monobear was a stickler for the rules. Until he wasn't, oops. We can't assume anything out of him so far. He may just be following the rules because it's more fun for now.

To be fair, Junko had to pull the frame job fifth case herself, with her luchador mask on, and didn't use Monobear to force things through until either Naegi or Kirigiri were implicated...and even then, "he" called a halt to the trial very quickly in order to get the job done...but that's more of just calling Time's Up. He paused the trial and allowed the students to search Chihiro's corpse during the second trial in DR1, for example, but has also basically urged people to hurry the hell up as well during numerous other cases before, too.

So basically, while Junko broke the rules, the games have been implying Monobear can judge when the trial has to end, and can either extend the time given or cut it short. It's horrendously unfair, but it's not technically breaking the rules.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TKMobile posted:

To be fair, Junko had to pull the frame job fifth case herself, with her luchador mask on, and didn't use Monobear to force things through until either Naegi or Kirigiri were implicated...and even then, "he" called a halt to the trial very quickly in order to get the job done...but that's more of just calling Time's Up. He paused the trial and allowed the students to search Chihiro's corpse during the second trial in DR1, for example, but has also basically urged people to hurry the hell up as well during numerous other cases before, too.

So basically, while Junko broke the rules, the games have been implying Monobear can judge when the trial has to end, and can either extend the time given or cut it short. It's horrendously unfair, but it's not technically breaking the rules.

Executing Naegi(or Kirigiri) was explicitly breaking the rules, since they were innocent.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2014

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skunkrocker posted:

You know, that'd be kind of cool. It'd be weird but cool, if someone's death didn't cause despair but hope. Man that'd burn Monobear's rear end wouldn't it?

That's pretty much what happened with Sakura's death in DR1. And it may be what Nanami's trying to deliberately invoke with all her talk of "maybe Togami sacrified himself to protect Nagito" and "maybe Peko sacrificed herself to protect Kuzuryuu".

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

whitehelm posted:

Executing Naegi(or Kirigiri) was explicitly breaking the rules, since they were innocent.

Yeah, it's not that Monobear is unable to break the rules, it's that for the sake of the plan of broadcasting the game to the world, Monobear has to appear to follow the rules. He can still break them in cases where nobody would be able to tell he's breaking them, such as executing Naegi, because nobody watching actually knows for sure Naegi didn't do it. It has to look like the students lost to despair in a "fair" fight.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

You know, that'd be kind of cool. It'd be weird but cool, if someone's death didn't cause despair but hope. Man that'd burn Monobear's rear end wouldn't it?

I doubt that will happen though, I think it's going to be more like the first game where she starts copying them in a really creepy way and then eventually snaps.

Yeah, I am pretty sure at least one of those three is going to end up dying. Hopefully not Ibuki, I like her.

But I was thinking, if Gundam ends up as murdered/a murderer, what will happen to his hamsters? :ohdear:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

of bees posted:

But I was thinking, if Gundam ends up as murdered/a murderer, what will happen to his hamsters? :ohdear:

Saionji will put them all in a cage and institute a Hamster Life of Mutual Killing, wherein they are driven to murder one another in the faint hope of escaping her endless torture.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I decided to carve a monobear pumpkin this year and see if anyone coming around knows who he is. Not to mention that it makes a bitchin' pumpkin design.
The part where the outer corner of his white-hand mouth meets the snout broke off when I popped the pumpkin piece for it out, so I ended up pinning it back on with the same type if pin I used to make his eye float.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

curiousTerminal posted:

I decided to carve a monobear pumpkin this year and see if anyone coming around knows who he is. Not to mention that it makes a bitchin' pumpkin design.
The part where the outer corner of his white-hand mouth meets the snout broke off when I popped the pumpkin piece for it out, so I ended up pinning it back on with the same type if pin I used to make his eye float.

I believe that this is the first time I have ever been scared by a pumpkin. Great work!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

curiousTerminal posted:

This is pretty disturbing, and will no doubt give trick-or-treaters nightmares. I like it.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

curiousTerminal posted:

It's an Upupumpkin!

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
Somebody made a Monolantern last year, although I don't remember who:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Did they do that scraping poo poo on the inside? That is some SHSL pumpkin carving, I can barely make an oval look ovular instead of rectangular. I'll probably post a better picture of mine tomorrow since my brother took that one and he is awful at photo taking.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiosity, Orenonen, what motivates you to finish the LP?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

We're approaching the second anniversary of Dangan Ronpa LPs on SA. Presumably it's sunk cost fallacy all the way...he's done this much, he might as well keep going.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
He thrives on the despair caused when the paywall causes a lot of outsiders to miss the best parts of the game.

Because he's Monobear, you see. :v:

He's done a great job with these LP's, and I really want to thank him for devoting so much time and resources to this. Fedule too, for helping with the translation.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I do, in fact, like this game. I also enjoy the challenges of the translation, especially this time when I'm not allowing myself any half-assed solutions or "see, it means this in Japanese and I can't really translate it!" footnotes for difficult sections. I also still enjoy reading good reactions and speculation, which still happens here occasionally despite evidence to the contrary.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

So, here's the deal with Nagito. For once, he's actually around and not setting up a murder or getting tied up somewhere. We can even spend time with him. But we won't get any event. See, in order to see Nagito's free time arc to completion, you have to spend time with him once during the first chapter, for the first event.

But all is not lost! By using my Hagakure-level clairvoyance skills, I anticipated we'll end up in this situation. And so, we'll use my other set of superpowers that allow me to retcon a free time with Nagito back when it was possible to do so.

It’s a moral “you fell for it again”.

And so, before we go on to present-day free time events, let's turn the clock back to a simpler, more peaceful Jabberwock Island.

Beautiful Days [Piano Arrange]

Sure is great that we have Togami-kun here for support. I’d expect nothing less from a Super High-school Level Heir.

With such a great leader, we'll be able to overcome any hardship if we just work together!

Should I spend time with Komaeda?

Spend time / Go somewhere else

Let's do as much as we can, just like our great leader instructed.

I spent some time with Komaeda, searching the island for clues.

I think we became a little closer...

Should I give him a present?

Give / Do not give

Let's keep our presents for when we're not retconning events into the story.

Hinata-kun... are you feeling alright?
Huh? Yeah, I'm just fine.

That's great, then. You just seemed a little pale to me.
Like... something’s worrying you. Well, I guess in this situation it’d be weird not to be worried...

Komaeda smiled his carefree smile.

When I see that smile... I can't help but forget my worries, just a little.

W...What is it? Is something wrong?
No, it’s... I was just thinking how much you’ve helped me since the beginning.
So... Thanks, I guess...

Oh, I haven’t done anything that warrants such gratitude.
You might even say that... for someone like me, being of help is a reward all in itself. I really don't need anything else.
"Someone like me"...? Why the sudden humility?

Because... my so called “talent” is just having good luck.
It's not something I’ve earned with a lifetime of work, or something I can use to do amazing things...
My life’s pretty simple. It wouldn't really matter if I had the talent or not, or even if I was here on this island.
Ha ha... We can't say that about the rest of you, can we?

How can he say that with such a big smile on his face...?

But, what if it turns out my own talent is even lamer than that?
I mean, I can't even remember what it is.

Don't say that! I'm sure your talent is amazing, Hinata-kun!
If it wasn't, there's no way Hope's Peak Academy would have accepted you.

Somehow... when I hear how firmly Komaeda believes in me... I can't help but feel the same myself.

He really is a big help, isn't he...

If it's alright with you, I'd like to try and help you remember.
Let's see... What kind of talent fits you, Hinata-kun...

How about "Super High-school Level Therapist"?
Therapist? And how exactly do you figure that?
...And besides, what kind of talent even is that?

Hmm... I think it's a great talent. You can bring peace to all around you just by being there...
Well, if you don’t like that, then how about...

How about "Super High-school Level Eccentric"?
Well, I guess that fits right in with me forgetting what my talent is...

If it's not that, it must be "Super High-school Level Amnesiac"!
Don't even suggest that... Who'd ever want such a lousy talent?

I'm just joking, of course! Ha... Okay, but seriously though...

What about "Super High-school Level Spiky Hair"?
That's not even a talent!
I guess you're right! Ha ha ha!

It's alright, though. I'm sure you have a spectacular talent. One that inspires hope...

Honestly... He's always joking around.
But... thanks to him I feel a little better than before.

Is that... what all the jokes were for?

If so... I guess he really is a good guy.

Well, it's a little early to tell for sure. I'll have to try and understand him better later.
It would be great if I could... even if it's just a little each time.

Hope Shard Acquired

And now, back into our time machine to see how two murders and some craziness changed Hinata's attitude. We find Nagito in the library, of all places.

So, what kind of motive do you think Monobear’s going to give us this time?

What should I do? Can I really spend some time with someone like Komaeda...?

I'm honored... I never imagined you'd ask me to hang out, Hinata-kun.

I spent some time with Komaeda...

For better or worse... I think we got a little closer.

Should I give him a present?

Give / Do not give

Hope's Peak Ring: A ring carved with Hope's Peak Academy's emblem. A memento of friendship between schoolmates who grew up together.

Amazing...! Who would think you could come across such an amazing thing in a place like this...!
I see... The reason we came to this island was so we could get hold of this...!
...Or at least, that's how happy you've just made me!

...To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why I even tried to talk to this guy.

But... the more he's left alone, the less I can sleep well at night. At least this way I can keep an eye on him.

What's with the scary face? You don't have to keep your guard up - I won't bite.

It's true - when he says that with that carefree smile on his face, I just can’t imagine him doing anything wrong.

So why is he...

...No. By now I should know better than trying to make sense of him.

Oh. Perhaps it's you who's planning to do something to me?
It's alright. I'm all for it. It's you, after all - do with me as you please.
Oh, just shut the gently caress up!
I’m... not falling for it. I'll never do what you want.

That's a little troubling.
It was never my goal to make you doubt and oppose me, losing sight of what’s really important...

All I want... is to see you guys fulfill your roles as hope incarnate!
That again...?
What the hell do you even mean when you use that word, "hope"...?
What are you trying to make us do?

Sigh... Why can't I get anyone to understand?
I just... believe in hope, you know?

Try thinking about it seriously once in a while, Hinata-kun. What do you think "hope" is?

It's true that I never really gave it much thought...

I think what Komaeda means by “hope” is...

The opposite of despair / Absolute good / Something gone from this island

Is it, like... the opposite of despair?

Of course not! Despair isn't on the same level at all!
Despair is a trivial, foolish thing compared to hope! Just like me, when compared to the rest of you!

If that's not what he means, then...

It's something that's missing from this place, isn't it?

Why can't you believe what's in front of you? There's hope on this island. Of course there is.

Yeah... that's what he's been saying all along...

Is hope... absolute good?

Yes! Exactly!
And you guys have what it takes to embody it...
Do you get it? Hope is born from two things; an optimistic outlook and talent.
When you have both, it is an absolutely good thing!

That's why, when I see the seeds of hope, I will gladly kill for them... and I will gladly die for them.
And the fact that I can do that right now, here in this place - that is hope for me!

It's useless. I still have no idea what he’s talking about.
There's one thing I can say, though.

It doesn’t look like he’s trying to deceive us just out of self-interest.

He really believes he’s doing the right thing. And that’s exactly what makes it so worrying.

Oh? Is this conversation over, Hinata-kun?
How unfortunate... But, we can do it again sometime, can't we?

We’re two comrades together on our search for hope, after all!

Hope Shard Acquired

Still hearing Komaeda's voice behind my back, I ran out of the room as quickly as possible.

It's still light outside... I can't stay cooped up in my room all day.

I have time... and it's important to try and talk to everyone.

Ibuki isn't hard to find. She's right where you expect her to be.

Ibuki's so depressed... She can't come up with good lyrics at all.

What should I do? Should I spend time with Mioda?

Recite Ibuki a poem for inspiration!!

Pleeeeeeeease! Hajime-chan! Hajime-dono! Hajime-samaaaaa!

Somehow, I managed to compose a poem on the spot and recite it to Mioda.

I think we became a little closer...

Should I give her a present?

Give / Do not give

Jabber Natural Salt: Natural salt found on Jabberwock Island. In addition to its use as a condiment, it is said to be used in the mysterious rituals of the island’s natives.

Oooooh! That's quite a thing you have there!

Oh no! This present's giving Ibuki a hard case of the feels!

Ah! Me, me, me!

What is it now...?

C'mon! Pick me! Pick me!
Uh... what is it?

Um, do you do any club activities, Hajime-chan?
Club activities... Let’s see...
I’m not really sure thanks to that pesky amnesia problem, but... I don't think so.

Woohoo! Bingo bingo bingo!
W...What?

Let's get straight to business! Effective immediately, you're the new member of my light music club!
Ibuki thought it might go out of fashion, now that rock music is on the decline, but...

Boys are “in” again! It’s a chance to ride a big fashion wave, and Ibuki’s not gonna let it escape!
Um, I'm not really good with music or...

Don't worry! All you have to do is stand in the back and pretend to play.

That's not really something a "Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member" should say...

But... I've never even held a musical instrument before...

Everyone starts that way! As long as there's love, it isn't a problem.
And what if... there isn't any love?

C'mon, just do it! The light music club is fun!
Girls will be way into you, and even girls who are members of the light music club will be way into you!

By the way, Ibuki thinks boys in a band are all narcissists, so hold your expectations in check!

Once again, not really something a "Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member" should say.

Moving on! Let's hear what instrument you'd like to play!

Oh, but Ibuki’s got dibs on guitar, so don’t even think about it!

Seems like I have to choose... She won't let me leave until I do.

Well, it's not like I ever played before, so anything will do.

Keyboard / Drums / Bass guitar

How about I play bass...

Not gonna happen!
Why?! Didn't you say as long as it's not guitar everything goes?

Hmmm... Bass players stand out more than they should, and end up stealing the leading role from Ibuki.

...Seriously?

How about I play the keyboard...?

So you do know how to play, Hajime-chan? That's amazing!
Um, no? Never even touched one.

You'll get caught in no time if you fake playing the keyboard, so Ibuki vetos it! Next!

Is this choice even really up to me...?

I guess I'll play the drums.

A fine choice! That's it, then!
Even if you can't read music you can at least follow the beat!

Besides, any amateur can play the drums! All you gotta do is hit things! It’s easy!

She'd better not say that to a real drummer... That's the most un-"Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member"-like declaration yet!

So, now that we've decided on your instrument...

Let the training session begin! First lesson; how to use a megaphone!
Wait, wait, wait! What do I need a megaphone for?!

What are you saying? It's an essential tool for any live performance, isn't it?

And you can't just hold it and shout!
If you don't put your soul into it, a megaphone won't do you any good!

Yes! Scream your soul out!

What followed was a long, incomprehensible training session.

I didn't really get Mioda earlier, and now I understand her even less...

Hope Shard Acquired

I parted with Mioda and went back to my room, exhausted.

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
It is now 10pm.
Please rest peacefully, along with the soothing sound of the waves.
Well then, pleasant dreams. Goodnight...

I don't have anything to do tonight, so I guess I'll just go to sleep.

It's nice to have a peaceful day once in a while.

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Monobear Theater

It's a waste of time to worry too much.
Not that I'm going to stop you if wasting time is what you're after.
It's not like spending some time in a meaningless way is such a bad thing, after all.
Happy things, sad things, painful things, fun things, things you want to remember and things you don't...
All of them become nostalgic memories when enough time passes.
And so... isn't wasting some time worrying a splendid way to solve the problem that worries you so much?
Upupu, wasting all your time worrying is a very good idea!

orenronen fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 31, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
While that's kind of a dumb requirement I'm able to forgive it for how hilarious I found the whiplash from that.

Plus we got TWO free time events with Komaeda! :allears:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

orenronen posted:

Hmm... I think it's a great talent. You can being peace to all around you just by being there...

Shouldn't this be:
Hmm... I think it's a great talent. You can bring peace to all around you just by being there...
:goonsay:

And thanks for going through the trouble of completing the arc.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

alcharagia posted:

While that's kind of a dumb requirement I'm able to forgive it for how hilarious I found the whiplash from that.

Plus we got TWO free time events with Komaeda! :allears:

It does make sense if you account for the twist regarding Nagito's true nature. He's supposed to seem innocuous until you learn just how nucking futs he is.

If you couldn't hang out with him in Chapter 1, people would find that suspicious. Besides, if he hadn't already spent time with him, after what he did in Chapter 1, do you REALLY think Hinata would want to spend any more time than necessary with this fruitloop?

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

orenronen posted:

Sure is great that we have Togami-kun here for support. I’d expect nothing less from a Super High-school Level Heir.

Why do you have to do this to us, Oren. :smith:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So to get Nagito's first event, did you have to skip over one that the thread voted for? Did you just take it from one of the dead characters?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BlazeEmblem posted:

So to get Nagito's first event, did you have to skip over one that the thread voted for? Did you just take it from one of the dead characters?

No, it's all still there. Free time events (as well as other things, like Monobear coins) are global data in a save file. When you load a save file you can start from where you left off, or start any completed chapter again (though that loses all progress in the current chapter). That allows you to get more FTEs done, gain more coins by redoing trials, etc. I actually recorded this Nagito event a few weeks ago, before starting chapter 3.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Following that, is it possible to get almost all the Hope Shards simply by replaying the first two chapters for everyone except Komaeda?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

I guess I'll play the drums.
A fine choice! That's it, then!

Ibuki's logic is infallible.

And Nagito's FTEs are sealed off at the beginning much like Fukawa's in DR1?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

So, here's the deal with Nagito. For once, he's actually around and not setting up a murder or getting tied up somewhere. We can even spend time with him. But we won't get any event. See, in order to see Nagito's free time arc to completion, you have to spend time with him once during the first chapter, for the first event.

Haha, what a great dick move. Especially since Nagito's not available during the second set of free time events in Chapter 1, since he's busy setting up the party.

orenronen posted:

Are megaphones an actual thing in Japanese pop music, or is Ibuki just being wacky and random here?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

DaveWoo posted:

Are megaphones an actual thing in Japanese pop music, or is Ibuki just being wacky and random here?

I've seen them crop up in plenty of places, not just Japanese pop (I've actually never heard any in J Pop since I don't actively listen any). They give a very distinct sound very simply.
Lookie here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak7SUFpwpN8

Edited for better example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

orenronen posted:

No, it's all still there. Free time events (as well as other things, like Monobear coins) are global data in a save file. When you load a save file you can start from where you left off, or start any completed chapter again (though that loses all progress in the current chapter). That allows you to get more FTEs done, gain more coins by redoing trials, etc. I actually recorded this Nagito event a few weeks ago, before starting chapter 3.

Does that mean you can reload a save, get a Hope Shard you missed, and it's still around when you go back to where you were previously?

• Locked thread