Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have an ANTI-recommendation for The Dark Mod mission "A Night to Remember". Aside from some hiccups with mirrors and lighting, the mission is highly scripted and linear. You cannot leave the first room until you pick up the note shoved under your door (which suggests that you should kill a priest). You have no equipment of any kind (including lockpicks, although eventually you can get some lockpicks, broadheads, and a sword). Locked doors are everywhere, the few areas that aren't locked to you at the start have no loot at all you need 1000/2000/3000 to pass, and good luck breaking even 1000.

There's a railroad sequence where taking the wrong turn will result in an instant mission failed without warning, never mind that there's a trail to follow and the guy locks himself in a room and stays there anyway. There of course is absolutely no indication what the correct route is. Oh yeah, and there's ghosts which can walk through walls that have an very large and severely damaging "aura" that will kill you dead in a couple seconds.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Is there any trick to getting the dark mod because every time ive tried to download it they give me horrendous speeds.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Yes. The trick is leave your computer downloading for 24-30 hours. Worked for me. :v:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You can scavenge up a torrent for it and download it much faster. I think it might be listed in one of the mirrors.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
I downloaded it last night in about two hours straight from the dark mod website. granted, it was 10:00pm.. maybe download when it isn't peak hours?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The reason Invisible War was bad is because while the original had a linear story, IW promised a branching path and failed to deliver. Also, the simplified customization left far fewer valid character builds, the enemies were all pushovers, the interface suffered from being an X-Box port, the maps were tiny and cramped, and all four endings were different kinds of depressing instead of hopeful like Deus Ex's.

At least with Deadly Shadows the story made sense as a continuation of the last two, most of your weapons acted just like how they did before--beyond a few sensible changes--the atmosphere and sound design were still good, the maps (though tiny) were still fun to explore, and some attempt was made at providing open-world gameplay.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Name some characters in IW that aren't originally from Deus Ex. Go on, I'll wait.

The answers you have come up with are: NG Resonance, Billie WhatsHerFace, Sid DubiousAccent, and The-Omar-Count-As-A-Character-I-Guess.

Invisible War suffers from a nasty case of attempting to make everyone have moral grey areas to such an extent that they are all boring, boring people. IW and TDS have the same technical flaws, but IW has problems far beyond that as well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is it normal for Dark Mod to never be able to pull up a mission list or did I just not wait long enough?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Slashdot did a thing about it, I think the servers are acting up again.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Prenton posted:

Name some characters in IW that aren't originally from Deus Ex. Go on, I'll wait.

The answers you have come up with are: NG Resonance, Billie WhatsHerFace, Sid DubiousAccent, and The-Omar-Count-As-A-Character-I-Guess.

Invisible War suffers from a nasty case of attempting to make everyone have moral grey areas to such an extent that they are all boring, boring people. IW and TDS have the same technical flaws, but IW has problems far beyond that as well.

The worst thing about IW is that it doesn't have all the (unintentional?) humor of Deus Ex.

"I can tell them that you're a spy and they will kill you!"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Omar were great, but aside from all the technical issues, the biggest problem was that its entire story was pretty much just an epilogue to Deus Ex. There was barely anything new there. The whole 'two opposing factions are actually both Illuminati fronts' angle wasn't a bad idea, but it was pretty idiotic you were supposed to believe that all world religions suddenly harmonically united into some inane new age crap.

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs

Prenton posted:

I guess I remember Ava Johnson the pilot precisely because she was such a non-character in a stable of other non-characters.

DX: IW had a definite problem connecting with people. The original DX works because it is a larger-than-life story about urban legends, conspiracy theories and the breakdown of society. You have secret agencies spreading super-AIDS. Evil corporations. Soup kitchens and junkies. People living in abandoned places like metro stations. Urban decay. Terrorism and terrorism being used as a justification for building a surveillance state (pre-911, even). Men in black and Area 51. FEMA doing their sinister business. That's powerful because it is part of modern folklore, and it is easy to connect to.

Invisible War lost the connection in favour of some dodgy (and fairly distasteful) ideas about transhumanism and nano-something, which has no connection whatsoever to modern society. Its world is mostly unrecognisable, removed from our ideas about wherever it takes place. Then you add the bland characters, poor gameplay and the engine limitations the creators inflicted themselves with, and it is no wonder the game sunk like a stone.

Melan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 24, 2013

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
So talk of Ultima Underworld in the old school RPG thread got me thinking so I'm just going to crosspost this from that thread since it's DarkMod related.

Hank Morgan posted:

So this conversation sparked a few neurons in my brain and I dug out an old Ultima Underworld map viewer I had and right enough one of it's options was the ability to export a VRML 1.0 file. I also remembered seeing a thread on the DarkMod forums about exporting maps into the Doom3/Darkmod engine from Blender via a Quake3 engine export. So armed with those tools I set about converting a map from UW1 into the Dark Mod. After spending way too much time trying and failing to figure out how to get Blender to export to .map whilst not turning every quadrangle into triangles I eventually got this out the other end.

This is level one of Ultima Underworld in the DarkMod/Doom3 editor and game engine. The process is fairly simple to just produce the map file but since the export comes out full of triangle polygons for every brush on the map it becomes a time-staking process to simplify that geometry. Of course one I completed I realised I entered the wrong scaling values at a certain point(despite multiple tests to get it right) so it feels a bit more cramped than it should be. Also the third screen-shot was edited in order to show off the map.

If anyone ones to try it out the process is as follows.

1. Download this viewer. Copy the exe to your UW1 or 2 folder.
2. In the viewer select your level and press F9 to export to a VRML 1.0 file. It is saved in the level[number] folder.
3. A vrml 1.0 won't open in the current blender so I had to download an old version of Blender called Blender Publisher. Just import the vrml into publisher and save the file. You can then open that file in blender.
4. In blender realign the map by X-90 and mirror it on the Y(?) axis so it's the right way around. Scale the map so that the .map exporter will actually
5. Optionally run the command to remove duplicate vertices. This will allow you to try using the tri-to-quad converter to reduce the brush count. Unfortunately when I export to .map the triangles come back again. I spent a lot of time trying to fix this and I know it's possible somehow since I solved the problem at 3.30 in the morning but when I woke up the next morning I forgot my solution :doh: Maybe you'll have more luck.
6. See this thread for details on the export process. But in addition I had to do the following extra step because of a error with the Q3toD3 tool. Just run the Plugin called Reduce Brush Count in GTKRadiant and save the file before doing that conversion. The two errors I would get with that tool are due to the map being two big or not running the Reduce Brush tool. Again this is a solvable problem whose solution I have forgot due to sleep deprivation. There is a lesson in here somewhere.

edit: Working link for the viewer. http://bootstrike.com/Uw1/downloads.php Use "Level Viewer v1.1 by Telemachos Dragon"

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 29, 2013

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Hmmm.

Doesn't System Shock 1 use that engine?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
I hope someone use that, and it doesn't end up leading nowhere like all those other attempts to port/remake Ultima Underworld.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Prenton posted:

Hmmm.

Doesn't System Shock 1 use that engine?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Yeah. Now that you mention it System Shock 1 would translate really well to the Doom3 engine. The map formats of UW1/2 and System Shock are well documented. A quick google shows someone had the same idea back in 2005 but nothing much came of it.

Time to read Zinn posted:

I hope someone use that, and it doesn't end up leading nowhere like all those other attempts to port/remake Ultima Underworld.

I'm bored enough that I'm at least going to try and convert the other seven maps and Uw2 to an unoptimised state but I'd really need a conversion tool or some proper blender knowledge to reduce all of the triangle pairs (they're very annoying to look at). Then of course I'm getting into files territory. Level 1 of UW was at least released as a demo. If I decide to focus on a learning project to improve my rusted programming skills so this might be it. In that case it's better off being a straight conversion from the level data to the final .map format. Definitely something I'm pondering.

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs

Hank Morgan posted:

So talk of Ultima Underworld in the old school RPG thread got me thinking so I'm just going to crosspost this from that thread since it's DarkMod related.
Whoa. Please post this on the TDM forums if you have an account.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Melan posted:

Whoa. Please post this on the TDM forums if you have an account.

I intend to by the weekend once I've messed around a bit more with it. I'd also be interested to see if it's possible to do the same with the Arx Fatalis source port.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
New trailer. The writing remains awful and the art direction and plot looks like it has descended further into being a lovely pastiche of Dishonored. I couldn't make it to the minute mark, I gave up at a cutscene where the narrator is shown pissing on a wall.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/1/5054768/thief-story-trailer-wonders-if-a-man-can-steal-a-city-back-to-health

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 1, 2013

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

New trailer. The writing remains awful and the art direction and plot looks like it has descended further into being a lovely pastiche of Dishonored. I couldn't make it to the minute mark, I gave up at a cutscene where the narrator is shown pissing on a wall.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/1/5054768/thief-story-trailer-wonders-if-a-man-can-steal-a-city-back-to-health

So 'Taffer' is now his nickname.

Oh lol. Got to have those 'Fucks' in it for the kiddies.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It looks like they sort of listened to the complaints about emo garrett and made him into a jerk. It comes off as weird just the same.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
There are some who call him... Tim.

It kinda feels like they've overhyped Garrett for themselves. Not Space Jesus Darth Vader levels yet, but the same direction.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 1, 2013

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I think the only clever thing to come out of their marketing department is the hand grabbing the title that i like a lot but good god that narration the overdone music contrasted with the more appropriate and subtle stuff used in Thief 1/2 etc its just all wrong.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I'm not sure what's going to fix this crisis in the city but I'm sure a little bit of looting would help.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Hey, it worked in The Yawgh. Sort of.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Garrett's nickname is "Taffer" now?

edit: vvv Pretty much! :v:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Garrett's nickname is "Taffer" now?

Isn't that like saying his nickname is "shithead"?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Dear god that was awful.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Are these people trying to get me to not buy the game or something.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I just realized something. They're acting as if there was the same kind of person-cult around Garrett as there is around Snake from MGS. Replace all of the things they're saying with MGS stuff, but keep the tone and it works perfectly. Only for Thief it falls entirely flat since Garrett isn't a great character, but a great target for the player to project into.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

The one-minute mark is pretty much where enough rubbish has piled on that any sane person either starts laughing defensively out of disbelief and Schadenfreude or you quit watching because it's just painfully bad. The writing is set up in a way that at any moment I expected this to turn into a bad joke, but instead it ignored the opportunities and went onwards stacking poo poo on poo poo.

"Every building - chances are I've robed it, slept in it, or pissed up against it. [Or walked through it, ate in it, looked at it, touched it, kicked it. Hell what do I know, there's a lot of stuff you can do with buildings. I think I've smoked in some too. Man, buildings are awesome. That's why I go to every building in the city.]"

"If you're a wrong'un, chances are you know me, maybe you owe me, maybe I owe you, [maybe you don't know me, or maybe you do, this poo poo is complicated you know, or maybe you don't know. Maybe I walked past you, or you walked past me, or bought you a drink, or perhaps bought you me a...no...you me bought a.... ah... gently caress it.]

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Fleve posted:

"Every building - chances are I've robed it, slept in it, or pissed up against it. [Or walked through it, ate in it, looked at it, touched it, kicked it. Hell what do I know, there's a lot of stuff you can do with buildings. I think I've smoked in some too. Man, buildings are awesome. That's why I go to every building in the city.]"

I'm Master Thief Garret and this is my favorite building in the city.

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs
Remember Dishonored's The Tales From Dunwall?

Compare and weep! ... taffers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Melan posted:

Remember Dishonored's The Tales From Dunwall?

Compare and weep! ... taffers.

It still bums me out that these were way better, both in presentation and writing quality, than the actual story in Dishonored.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Seems like filler with bits of name-dropping mixed in. This guy is Citizen Kane, then he dies. This kid is a street urchin, then he dies. Ok. :/

But it doesn't offend the senses, so I guess it wins.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

Isn't that like saying his nickname is "shithead"?

I think it was the product of them acknowledging that the original series coined and used the word a whole lot, but they didn't know anything beyond that fact and so they put it in the trailer thinking it was a cute little nod and would earn them some sick Thief cred but I don't think it's working like they thought.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I realise getting angry about things on the internet is pointless, but I genuinely hate every single person responsible for this new Thief. They are making the world a worse place.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

DeepQantas posted:

Seems like filler with bits of name-dropping mixed in. This guy is Citizen Kane, then he dies. This kid is a street urchin, then he dies. Ok. :/

But it doesn't offend the senses, so I guess it wins.

I just cant get over WHALE BULLET because of the sheer absurdity of WHALE BULLET.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What the gently caress? That's official? Jesus that's so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008
I don't even know what to say anymore about Thief 4's development, except that adults with any self-awareness at all should be embarrassed to be producing this crap.

• Locked thread