Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xguard86 posted:

personal anecdote but when my GF was shopping in that category, many many people said "why are you looking at (Brand X) just go buy a Toyota/Honda because they're the best".

Even though the cars may be worse, my (100% anecdotal) family experience with Honda is that Honda Corporate will pay for warranty work well beyond when the normal warranty runs out.

My fiancee's mom got the engine block replaced on Honda's dime on her 130,000 mile old Civic, and they also had a Honda minivan transmission replaced at 90,000 miles for free. Both of these cars had no extended warranty of any type on them or dealer bullshit, just Honda Corporate saying they would pick up the repair bill because the parts were defective.

We just bought a new Ford Focus, and as much as we liked the car compared to its competitors, I'm nervous about the long-term reliability of its dry dual-clutch transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's Honda America, though. Honda Canada treats its customers like poo poo. One of the most recent situations I can point to is that the Civic Si had a chronic gearbox failure issue. Cars were failing - in warranty - because of a thing that Honda USA had a TSB and was fixing cars for, and Honda Canada was blaming the drivers and telling them to go gently caress themselves.

I will never understand the inertia this brand enjoys in this country, because it has fallen so far from the days of million-mile 91 Accords and enthusiast-loved fartcanned tin coffins. People I know with new Hondas complain about how they're not as good as their old Honda, complain about the dealers and would still happily buy another one and get poo poo on by the same dealership experience.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 5, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So why is the Golf/Jetta counted separately, while the different body styles of other cars are presumably grouped together? Adding the two VWs would bump it just in front of the Elantra. No that that matters at all, but still.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Any company treats canadians like poo poo. E46 BMWs have a pretty serious issue with the rear subframe mounting points tearing and I'm not sure if you could ever get it covered in canada. Probably depended on the specific dealer. But in the states they offered free inspections and repairs up to a certain date.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I'll admit the road noise and handling could've been improved (and boy do I hope they were), but the interior is still blah. Oh well, you could certainly do worse.

The interior and exterior styling are what they updated. The interior got a lot of soft touch surfaces to cover the hard plastic and that fake French stitching that's all the rave now. The exterior got tarted up, especially in the taillight treatment. Really though, the '12 car was a fine competitor, but it got a load of poo poo because Honda rested on their laurels and released a car that was much more conservative in design and style than the one it was replacing. If any other company had released the '12 Civic instead, it would have been praised as the very decent small car it is. As it stands, it rides and drives better than the Korean cars, and has a more open and usable interior than the American cars. And despite only having 140 HP and a 5 speed, it has competitive acceleration and economy numbers.

mobby_6kl posted:

So why is the Golf/Jetta counted separately, while the different body styles of other cars are presumably grouped together? Adding the two VWs would bump it just in front of the Elantra. No that that matters at all, but still.

The North American Jetta has been so cheapened that it shares very little with its Golf sibling.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

BigBadBrewsta posted:

The Hyundai Elantra has carved out a very successful niche for itself. Yes, it lags significantly behind the Focus / Cruze / Civic / Corolla, but it's also well ahead of the VW Jetta. It's a very solid fifth. The Elantra's success also demonstrates how much Kia has yet to go in building up its brand. Even though folks who read reviews and car enthusiasts know Kia is making pretty good cars these days, there's still so much negative energy and negative connotation associated with Kia that folks won't buy the Forte in significant numbers. That's interesting, because the Forte is considered on-par with the Elantra by most.

There are two big reasons in addition to the brand cache to explain the difference between the Elantra and Forte. Hyundai is advertising the Elantra a shitload more than the Forte at the moment and for whatever reason Kia seems to be having a hard time getting their fully loaded models out to dealers in the sort of numbers required. My dealership has sold every single nav equipped Forte we have had within a week of stocking it in. Thats the part of the segment where the Forte really excels. The base model doesnt differentiate itself from the other cars in the class, but the quality of the nav and having features like ventilated seats are where the Forte's tech advantage sets it apart. Unfortnately you cant sell cars you dont have in stock. There are literally 3 nav equipped Forte's in the entire New York metro area dealer region which is a place where people have money to buy higher optioned models.
:wtc:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also the Forte was an old design that just got redone, and it was one of the first redesigns of the "new" non-bad Kia so it's still carrying a little bit of the stigma versus the completely new Optima. I actually think the redesign is somewhat uglier, but supposedly the interior is much better and maybe styling-wise people really do want giant headlighs and curvy crap everywhere on small cars, so give 'em what they want I guess.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BigBadBrewsta posted:

The Hyundai Elantra has carved out a very successful niche for itself. Yes, it lags significantly behind the Focus / Cruze / Civic / Corolla, but it's also well ahead of the VW Jetta. It's a very solid fifth. The Elantra's success also demonstrates how much Kia has yet to go in building up its brand. Even though folks who read reviews and car enthusiasts know Kia is making pretty good cars these days, there's still so much negative energy and negative connotation associated with Kia that folks won't buy the Forte in significant numbers. That's interesting, because the Forte is considered on-par with the Elantra by most.

I've made a few posts about the current-gen Elantra recently. I test drove one with my wife a few months ago as we're looking for a replcament for her '08 Focus. It was really great. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, and unbelievably feature-packed for the money. Nothing else in the segment compares for value IMO. Sure, the Civic and 3 may feel a bit more nimble, but the Elantra seems like a great transportation appliance.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

kill me now posted:

There are two big reasons in addition to the brand cache to explain the difference between the Elantra and Forte. Hyundai is advertising the Elantra a shitload more than the Forte at the moment and for whatever reason Kia seems to be having a hard time getting their fully loaded models out to dealers in the sort of numbers required. My dealership has sold every single nav equipped Forte we have had within a week of stocking it in. Thats the part of the segment where the Forte really excels. The base model doesnt differentiate itself from the other cars in the class, but the quality of the nav and having features like ventilated seats are where the Forte's tech advantage sets it apart. Unfortnately you cant sell cars you dont have in stock. There are literally 3 nav equipped Forte's in the entire New York metro area dealer region which is a place where people have money to buy higher optioned models.

The redesigned coupe and hatchback have not shown up in dealers yet either have they? That might have something to do with it too although I don't know how much the earlier versions sold in relation to the sedan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I'll admit the road noise and handling could've been improved (and boy do I hope they were), but the interior is still blah. Oh well, you could certainly do worse.

There were significant changes to the interior in terms of materials and sound deadening materials.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I saw a new elantra hatch on the road recently (US)

It looked pretty decent.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

angryhampster posted:

I've made a few posts about the current-gen Elantra recently. I test drove one with my wife a few months ago as we're looking for a replcament for her '08 Focus. It was really great. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, and unbelievably feature-packed for the money. Nothing else in the segment compares for value IMO. Sure, the Civic and 3 may feel a bit more nimble, but the Elantra seems like a great transportation appliance.

Xguard86 posted:

personal anecdote but when my GF was shopping in that category, many many people said "why are you looking at (Brand X) just go buy a Toyota/Honda because they're the best". It was even kind of hard for her, after hands on experience, to finally admit the Hyundai was superior because she loved her old Camry.

Exact same situation with my GF. Her parents were giving her a very generous downpayment and basically said, "Thou shalt go purchase a Civic or Corolla." They were very hesitant and skeptical when she declared she wanted an Elantra and she had to gently push back and insist that was the best car she had test driven. After her parents rode in it and drove it for the first time, they're now looking to replace their Toyota RAV4 with a Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe Sport. They weren't willing to give Hyundai a chance, but once they saw her's, they did a complete 180. She's had her Elantra 14 months now and still loves it. Angryhampster nailed it: the Elantra is a great "transportation appliance".

kill me now posted:

Agreed. The higher-optioned Kias really shine. But even as an enthusiast who reads car reviews, talks cars on Internet forums, and generally stays up to date on the market, I still couldn't bring myself to buy a Kia right now. I know they're good cars. I know they've come a long way, but I feel like I would still have a hard time going on Facebook and declaring, "Hey guys, I bought a new Kia!" I know that sounds stupid, but I feel like I'd have a hard time with it.

And I just bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT and had no problems posting a few pics of it on Facebook and posting a status update about it. Kia is still a few years behind Hyundai in changed consumer perception... at least, that's how I feel. (Of course, here in some parts of Iowa, you can still raise eyebrows by driving any car that's not a GM or Ford. Des Moines isn't so bad, but the rural parts of the state...)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There were significant changes to the interior in terms of materials and sound deadening materials.

PeterWeller posted:

The interior and exterior styling are what they updated. The interior got a lot of soft touch surfaces to cover the hard plastic and that fake French stitching that's all the rave now. The exterior got tarted up, especially in the taillight treatment. Really though, the '12 car was a fine competitor, but it got a load of poo poo because Honda rested on their laurels and released a car that was much more conservative in design and style than the one it was replacing. If any other company had released the '12 Civic instead, it would have been praised as the very decent small car it is. As it stands, it rides and drives better than the Korean cars, and has a more open and usable interior than the American cars. And despite only having 140 HP and a 5 speed, it has competitive acceleration and economy numbers.

I knew people bashed on the 2012 Civic based on its looks -- but that wasn't the part I had a problem with. I thought the 2013 update was externally only. Didn't know they did so much to the sound deadening and interior materials. I'll retract my objections until I give the 2013 a spin. Still, isn't it indicative of Honda / Toyota's problems when they even have to do an "emergency" refresh? Good on them for recognizing it and doing it, but companies with a lot less respect and caché haven't had to resort to such measures. People would poo poo all over Dodge or Kia if they had to do such a thing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I've checked out a 2013 Si (I drive a 2007 Si), the interior is still garbage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There was a pretty good article on autonews about the thinking that went in to the 2012 and also the emergency refresh.

It happens. I think it's actually a credit to Honda that they recognized they had missed the boat with the 12 before it was released and dropped a ton of cash in to fixing it. You can't hit every launch and you have to be able to recognize when you miss and take necessary action. Same thing with Chrysler and the Cherokee, although that's more of a performance issue than competitiveness.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I was at the annual auto show a couple weeks ago and as far as transportation appliances go both Hyundai and Kia were much more impressive than Honda and Toyota, especially dollar-for-dollar. Granted I didn't drive any of them so it's hard to say definitively, but if I were looking for a cheap A-to-B car I'd be stupid to ignore the Koreans.

It's not so much that Honda and Toyota are making bad cars, per se, but IMO it seems they've been resting our their laurels for far, far too long and the rest of the market has caught up or surpassed them in many ways.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Q_res posted:

I've checked out a 2013 Si (I drive a 2007 Si), the interior is still garbage.

I drive a 2008 sedan. Aside from the seats, I prefer the 2013's interior. The 2008 interior looks decent, but it's all hard plastics and sharp edges too. In its defense, it's held up a lot better than that of my GTI, which is why I'm not really bothered by those hard plastics.

In regards to Kia, I don't think they care too much about the Forte. They're too busy counting the dollars the Soul brings in.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I saw a bunch of Kia's today and they pretty much all had the bat logo on their front grill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tobu posted:

I saw a bunch of Kia's today and they pretty much all had the bat logo on their front grill.

You aren't the only one who thinks so

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

The North American Jetta has been so cheapened that it shares very little with its Golf sibling.

The Jetta Sportwagen is actually still a MkV chassis underneath, not the Mk6 Jetta, so it's more closely related to the Golf than the Jetta for the time being. The next JSW will be based on the newer Jetta platform.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

I drive a 2008 sedan. Aside from the seats, I prefer the 2013's interior. The 2008 interior looks decent, but it's all hard plastics and sharp edges too. In its defense, it's held up a lot better than that of my GTI, which is why I'm not really bothered by those hard plastics.

I'm pretty upset with my '08 SI. The clearcoat is fading all over the place and the dealer pretty much told me tough nuts. It started fading about 2 years ago and every day I find new spots. Only thing I don't like (other than the paint) is the lack of bluetooth without nav. I don't really care enough to put out the expense of a head unit (especially with keeping the stock amp working seems like a bit of a chore, same with steering controls), but I would really have liked hands free audio streaming/voice.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm pretty upset with my '08 SI. The clearcoat is fading all over the place and the dealer pretty much told me tough nuts. It started fading about 2 years ago and every day I find new spots. Only thing I don't like (other than the paint) is the lack of bluetooth without nav. I don't really care enough to put out the expense of a head unit (especially with keeping the stock amp working seems like a bit of a chore, same with steering controls), but I would really have liked hands free audio streaming/voice.

Wow! That sucks. My paint, except on the spoiler that I had resprayed after some poo poo fell on it, has held up great, and I parked the car uncovered in the Texas sun for three years. Bluetooth would be nice, but I'll just wait until I get a new car. It's installed in pretty much everything these days.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

The redesigned coupe and hatchback have not shown up in dealers yet either have they? That might have something to do with it too although I don't know how much the earlier versions sold in relation to the sedan.

Yeah, those probably wont be out until December or January at this point.

Kia has been making good cars since 2010/2011 and very good cars with all of their 2014 models (except for the Sedona). We just started getting in the new Soul and its jaw droppingly good in all trim levels. Its always been a practical vehicle but now it rides very nicely and can be loaded up to the same sort of luxury features that you can get in a well equipped Optima or Sorento.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kill me now posted:

Yeah, those probably wont be out until December or January at this point.

Kia has been making good cars since 2010/2011 and very good cars with all of their 2014 models (except for the Sedona). We just started getting in the new Soul and its jaw droppingly good in all trim levels. Its always been a practical vehicle but now it rides very nicely and can be loaded up to the same sort of luxury features that you can get in a well equipped Optima or Sorento.

I bought a new 2011 Kia Forte5 SX with the six-speed. Have you driven any of the more recent manual transmission Fortes? I guess I had the rose-colored new-car goggles on when I bought it but I'm seriously loving sick of the clutch and throttle of my car. The clutch isn't linear at all - the friction point is nonexistent. It's either no clutch engagement or stall. Even on a flat road it's very difficult to coax the car to move by easing off the clutch without stabbing the throttle. It also doesn't help that the throttle tip-in is WAY too aggressive. I've been driving stick exclusively for about 8 years now and when I'm on a slight incline, I look like I'm brand new to it because as I'm easing off the clutch I try to gently modulate the throttle but it ends up revving to 2-2.5k.

I am so tempted to ditch this poo poo, semi-commit financial seppuku, and trade it in for a used 2012 Mustang GT.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Mazda6 Clubsport diesel

diesel engine (if not this car in particular) is confirmed for next year. 31/43mpg, no urea injection, 176 hp, 5200rpm redline, sequential twin turbo.

Mazda6 2.5l with the manual transmission

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/05/mazda6-sema-2013/

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 6, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Throatwarbler posted:

GM is exploring a new concept: Putting the biggest engine in the smallest truck.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/03/chevy-silverado-cheyenne-concept-sema/

Why not just import Holden Utes instead?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Throatwarbler posted:

Mazda6 Clubsport diesel

diesel engine (if not this car in particular) is confirmed for next year. 31/43mpg, no urea injection, 176 hp, 5200rpm redline, sequential twin turbo.
I would looooove to try that.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
The Mazda6 would be such a pretty car if the lower half was crunched down to about half the height that it currently is. The car has all these nice lines, and then big brick slabs for the side panels.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The King of Swag posted:

The Mazda6 would be such a pretty car if the lower half was crunched down to about half the height that it currently is. The car has all these nice lines, and then big brick slabs for the side panels.

You could say that about basically every modern car, though.

Someone post that mustang comparison photoshop. Or the challenger.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The King of Swag posted:

I'm not a Mazda guy by any stretch, but I think it's a pretty good looking car for a 4 door sedan.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cat Terrist posted:

Why not just import Holden Utes instead?

Yes, federalizing another model is a much smarter idea than just making a sporty trim of something you're already building and selling. A trim that will likely sell 2-3x more than that model you're looking at federalizing ever would.

You should write GM a letter so that they can benefit from your genius.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

If GM actually does ever bring a ute over (they won't), I'd bet that 90% of people who bitch and moan online that they can't buy one never actually would.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

The Midniter posted:

I bought a new 2011 Kia Forte5 SX with the six-speed. Have you driven any of the more recent manual transmission Fortes? I guess I had the rose-colored new-car goggles on when I bought it but I'm seriously loving sick of the clutch and throttle of my car. The clutch isn't linear at all - the friction point is nonexistent. It's either no clutch engagement or stall. Even on a flat road it's very difficult to coax the car to move by easing off the clutch without stabbing the throttle. It also doesn't help that the throttle tip-in is WAY too aggressive. I've been driving stick exclusively for about 8 years now and when I'm on a slight incline, I look like I'm brand new to it because as I'm easing off the clutch I try to gently modulate the throttle but it ends up revving to 2-2.5k.

I am so tempted to ditch this poo poo, semi-commit financial seppuku, and trade it in for a used 2012 Mustang GT.

I haven't driven any of the 2014 Forte's with a stick but I have driven the base 6spd soul and didn't have any trouble being smooth on the clutch and throttle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DropShadow posted:

If any carmaker actually does ever bring a non-US car, I'd bet that 90% of people who bitch and moan online that they can't buy one never actually would.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DropShadow posted:

If GM actually does ever bring a ute over (they won't), I'd bet that 90% of people who bitch and moan online that they can't buy one never actually would.
I think 90% is generously low.

Q_res posted:

Yes, federalizing another model is a much smarter idea than just making a sporty trim of something you're already building and selling. A trim that will likely sell 2-3x more than that model you're looking at federalizing ever would.

:drat:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Q_res posted:

Add in the fact that an ute might not qualify as a truck depending on how CAFE standards are read, and could screw up the fleet averages.

Also, fast trucks are just as awesome as an ute, so there.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

YF19pilot posted:

Add in the fact that an ute might not qualify as a truck depending on how CAFE standards are read, and could screw up the fleet averages.

You're telling me that a Kia Soul is a light truck but a Holden Ute isn't? What the hell, CAFE.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
CAFE's classifications of vehicles are one of the (several) reasons there are so many more SUV and "crossover" models in North America now rather than more small, super-efficient cars. If it can get a "light truck" designation, then it doesn't have to get as good fuel economy to meet CAFE standards. A small hatchback, however, has to get much better fuel economy in order to meet the CAFE standards for it's size class - compact/subcompact/whatever it's called. Since it's easier and cheaper for automakers to just make slightly more efficient crossovers with tall cruising gears, and since people will buy them, that's what we get.

At least, that's how I understand it. I think this topic came up some time ago.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ayem posted:

CAFE's classifications of vehicles are one of the (several) reasons there are so many more SUV and "crossover" models in North America now rather than more small, super-efficient cars. If it can get a "light truck" designation, then it doesn't have to get as good fuel economy to meet CAFE standards. A small hatchback, however, has to get much better fuel economy in order to meet the CAFE standards for it's size class - compact/subcompact/whatever it's called. Since it's easier and cheaper for automakers to just make slightly more efficient crossovers with tall cruising gears, and since people will buy them, that's what we get.

At least, that's how I understand it. I think this topic came up some time ago.

I don't think CAFE really works that way, though. Old CAFE was not stratified by model - it was literally Corporate Average Fuel Economy, and only divided into cars and light trucks. New CAFE, starting in 2011, is based on wheelbase and track width along with the car/truck divide. Except the wheelbase of a compact SUV is often identical to the compact/midsize car on which it's based.

It's not really some sort of evil automaker conspiracy. Your typical American wants the biggest car with the biggest engine for their dollar (purchase price and now, with rising fuel prices, fuel economy) because it suits their needs - a bigger car is more convenient to carry things and more comfortable when highway cruising. It also feels more versatile - you might only haul around furniture or giant crates of stuff from Costco a few times a year, but the ability to do so is usually overrepresented in the purchase decision. And also because paying for delivery is annoying.

People like buying big cheap cars with lots of power and don't like buying small cars with tiny engines, so they'll keep buying the former over the latter unless forced to. This is primarily why people started buying trucks and SUVs once large, cheap RWD sedans with V8 options disappeared back in the late 80s/early 90s.

The only reason enlightened Europe is so focused on tiny cars is, one, because they drive shorter distances at lower speeds in more urbanized areas where parking and even maneuvering is a nightmare so small size is more desirable, and two, owning a car and then fueling it is comparatively way more expensive, so they have to settle for smaller cars that use less fuel because they have no other practical choice. Rich people in Europe still like and buy large luxury sedans and SUVs.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 6, 2013

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize CAFE had changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ayem posted:

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize CAFE had changed.

Eh, you still may be right. It's still advantageous to classify a vehicle as a light truck if possible, since a lower mileage requirement means you can make it cheaper and more powerful at the same "footprint" (wheelbase x track width) than a car.

edit: looked up the legal definition of "light truck":

quote:

§ 523.5
Non-passenger automobile.
A non-passenger automobile means an automobile that is not a passenger automobile or a work truck and includes vehicles described in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section:
(a) An automobile designed to perform at least one of the following functions:
(1) Transport more than 10 persons;
(2) Provide temporary living quarters;
(3) Transport property on an open bed;
(4) Provide, as sold to the first retail purchaser, greater cargo-carrying than passenger-carrying volume, such as in a cargo van; if a vehicle is sold with a second-row seat, its cargo-carrying volume is determined with that seat installed, regardless of whether the manufacturer has described that seat as optional; or
(5) Permit expanded use of the automobile for cargo-carrying purposes or other nonpassenger-carrying purposes through:
(i) For non-passenger automobiles manufactured prior to model year 2012, the removal of seats by means installed for that purpose by the automobile's manufacturer or with simple tools, such as screwdrivers and wrenches, so as to create a flat, floor level, surface extending from the forwardmost point of installation of those seats to the rear of the automobile's interior; or
(ii) For non-passenger automobiles manufactured in model year 2008 and beyond, for vehicles equipped with at least 3 rows of designated seating positions as standard equipment, permit expanded use of the automobile for cargo-carrying purposes or other nonpassenger-carrying purposes through the removal or stowing of foldable or pivoting seats so as to create a flat, leveled cargo surface extending from the forwardmost point of installation of those seats to the rear of the automobile's interior.

(b) An automobile capable of off-highway operation, as indicated by the fact that it:
(1) (i) Has 4-wheel drive; or
(ii) Is rated at more than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight; and
(2) Has at least four of the following characteristics calculated when the automobile is at curb weight, on a level surface, with the front wheels parallel to the automobile's longitudinal centerline, and the tires inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure—
(i) Approach angle of not less than 28 degrees.
(ii) Breakover angle of not less than 14 degrees.
(iii) Departure angle of not less than 20 degrees.
(iv) Running clearance of not less than 20 centimeters.
(v) Front and rear axle clearances of not less than 18 centimeters each

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 6, 2013