Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Landstander posted:

Haha, I thought a handful of CT progressives found a way to take over Connecticut for Lieberman for laughs. Did they get bored?

Yeah, they officially retired it after he left the Senate. Naturally, he never changed his registration from being a Democrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Post has some early exit polls from Virginia.

quote:

PARTY — Nearly four in 10 voters identify as Democrats in early exit poll results for the Virginia governor’s race. Just over three in 10 identify as Republicans or independents. If they hold, these early numbers would mark a big departure from the 2009 Virginia exit polls in which Republicans outnumbered Democrats by four percentage points, 37 to 33 percent. In the 2012 election, Democrats outnumbered Republicans in Virginia by seven points, 39 to 32 percent.

The racial demographics are also closer to 2012 than 2009.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Polls about to close. Ken Cuccinelli is still all:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

Well, on one hand Godspeed CT for Lieberman, on the other hand, apparently we technically have near 30 parties.

Used that freedom to have endless useless parties to vote straight ticket D :v:
You should have voted on the Working Families Party line.
Too many people voted for Malloy under WFP so the Republicans ended up becoming the top line party without winning a single statewide election or House seat.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, probably the biggest election in Florida today is mayor of St. Petersburg, then you have your typical city council and municipal referendums and such. And elections like that are technically "non-partisan" so you wouldn't know who the Republican or Democrat is if you just walk in without any idea who the candidates are.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

You should have voted on the Working Families Party line.

Not an option for the local elections. But I did in 2010 for Malloy because hey, why not, and look what happens! :saddowns:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

De Nomolos posted:

Polls about to close. Ken Cuccinelli is still all:

What time do they close over there? 7?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
NYT also has exit polls out of VA, and the narrative continues to plod forth -

quote:

About 54 percent said they were very worried about the nation’s economy, and another third were somewhat worried. About 41 percent of voters strongly disapproved of the job President Obama is doing; 12 percent more somewhat disapproved.

Not that they are much more enamored of the Republican Party. Nearly half of the Virginia electorate blames Republicans in Congress for the recent government shutdown, more than the 43 percent who blame Mr. Obama.

Asked about the Tea Party movement, 43 percent said they oppose it, while 30 percent support it and a quarter are neutral.

http://www.nytimes.com/news/election-2013/2013/11/05/virginia-exit-poll-mixed-on-candidates-sour-on-economy/

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I just finished voting in Arlington, VA. My polling place was not busy at all, but this is my first governor's race, so I only have presidential elections to compare it to. -1 for Cooch either way.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

The Entire Universe posted:

What time do they close over there? 7?

Yes, and things look good for turnout in McAullife leaning zones. The only worry is if the Tea Party and rural turnout is really amped too, or if initial impressions and exit polls were unrepresentative or misleading.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

DOOP posted:

I was able to vote for school board, town councilpeople, and judge retentions. Nothing too meaningful considering I voted absentee and live half a state away.

Except judges. Felt good voting Ronald Castile out of his bench chair. Too bad he will win easily.

gently caress you Castile

Yeah, off-year elections really drag sometimes. New York had a load of ballot initiatives, but I got to vote for my Mayor (1 candidate), my county supervisor (1 candidate), my Board of Elections commissioner (1 Candidate), and 2 state Supreme Court seats (2 candidates). In other words, no competitive races. Everyone was kind of just there. I live in a smallish city, so everyone votes in one place. I go to sign in, have the poll worker confirm that I live in Ward 1, and then have her hand me a reference card, and point me toward the Ward 3 ballots. Everyone was just going through the motions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I made a special separate thread for tonight with a list of races, poll closing times and resources at the top of it, so we can sort of TV/IV it there and not have to answer those questions again every page hopefully.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Kwik posted:

Yeah, off-year elections really drag sometimes. New York had a load of ballot initiatives, but I got to vote for my Mayor (1 candidate), my county supervisor (1 candidate), my Board of Elections commissioner (1 Candidate), and 2 state Supreme Court seats (2 candidates). In other words, no competitive races. Everyone was kind of just there. I live in a smallish city, so everyone votes in one place. I go to sign in, have the poll worker confirm that I live in Ward 1, and then have her hand me a reference card, and point me toward the Ward 3 ballots. Everyone was just going through the motions.

You mean you aren't absolutely gripped by Prop 4?

quote:

The proposed amendment to section 1 of article 14 of the Constitution would authorize the Legislature to settle longstanding disputes between the State and private entities over ownership of certain parcels of land in the town of Long Lake, Hamilton County. In exchange for giving up its claim to disputed parcels, the State would get land to be incorporated into the forest preserve that would benefit the forest preserve more than the disputed parcels currently do. Shall the proposed amendment be approved?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I would like to meet some of these neutral to tea party people.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey, I really like Prop 4. Prop, uhm, 5, with the mining, not so happy about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If Christie wins over party pariah Buono with this margin tonight while simultaneously flipping no Senate seats to his party, that'll be a rather interesting instance of weak party power in a country where the parties have moved to significantly strengthen their power in the last several decades. It seems like it takes the coincidental collapse of machine politics and a probably unique case of personality politics to make that happen. The question is if its reproducible.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's the opposite of a collapse of machine politics. There are three huge Democratic machines that defected to Christie and actively worked against Buono.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jessica Ehrlich suspended her campaign, pretty much making it clear sailing for Alex Sink to win the Democratic nomination for FL-13.

Last night the supposedly non-partisan St. Petersburg mayor's race (St. Pete makes up a large chunk of FL-13) saw the Rick Scott endorsed not-Republican Mayor Bill Foster get clobbered by Charlie Crist endorsed totally-not-a-Democrat Rick Kriseman. It's the first time an incumbent ever lost re-election since 1993, and I'm not sure when the last time a not-Democrat won the seat over a not-Republican.

Those reading the tea leaves probably shouldn't make too much of this when it comes to the upcoming FL-13 special election or Florida governor's race next year; this mayor's race really was all about local politics, and Foster went down in flames over the city's horrible handling of demolishing and rebuilding St. Petersburg's iconic pier.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Ballz posted:

Rick Scott endorsed not-Republican Mayor Bill Foster

Haha I forgot about that. I would have completely flipped my poo poo if Rick Scott endorsed me, I can't imagine how that could have been anything other than the kiss of death for Foster's re-election campaign.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Former NFL lineman/current Rep. Jon Runyan (R) of the New Jersey 3rd is retiring. This is a really weird district in a lot of ways: it's basically two wholly separate suburban areas (the outer Philly suburbs and the central part of the shore) separated by 40 miles of protected wildlife and military installations in the middle of the state, and while most of the district is ancestrally Republican and Jim Saxton was in the seat forever essentially unopposed, there was a Democrat between Saxton and Runyan that got whacked in 2010 and Obama did carry the current configuration twice. Diane Allen, who would be by far the best Republican recruit, is already out, and there is the potential for the Ocean and Burlington Republicans to start feuding over who they want to run here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

Former NFL lineman/current Rep. Jon Runyan (R) of the New Jersey 3rd is retiring. This is a really weird district in a lot of ways: it's basically two wholly separate suburban areas (the outer Philly suburbs and the central part of the shore) separated by 40 miles of protected wildlife and military installations in the middle of the state, and while most of the district is ancestrally Republican and Jim Saxton was in the seat forever essentially unopposed, there was a Democrat between Saxton and Runyan that got whacked in 2010 and Obama did carry the current configuration twice. Diane Allen, who would be by far the best Republican recruit, is already out, and there is the potential for the Ocean and Burlington Republicans to start feuding over who they want to run here.

Wow this seems like a good sign for Dems. He would've been one of the first seats to flip if the Dems have a wave election 2014. He's only 39 years old so he must have seen some TERRIBLE internal polling.

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's the opposite of a collapse of machine politics. There are three huge Democratic machines that defected to Christie and actively worked against Buono.

Yup. everything Christie has "accomplished" as governor including his reelection last night is with the blessing of the criminals who control the NJ democratic party.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 6, 2013

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

jeffersonlives posted:

Is there a strong Democratic front-runner to jump in, maybe the Dem who lost in 2010?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mcmagic posted:

Wow this seems like a good sign for Dems. He would've been one of the first seats to flip if the Dems have a wave election 2014. He's only 39 years old so he must have seen some TERRIBLE internal polling.

Runyan was not being beaten in a midterm (and neither is Frank LoBiondo if that's your next prediction). In 2012, running as a freshman while Obama carried the seat by 4 and the Democrats dumped a shitload of money behind Shelley Adler, Runyan cruised by 9. I think the stated reasons are probably right here: he's got young kids.

Ballz posted:

Is there a strong Democratic front-runner to jump in, maybe the Dem who lost in 2010?

No, John Adler is dead. His wife ran for the seat in 2012 with strong institutional support and didn't come all that close. The Dem candidate currently in the race is a first term Burlington County freeholder and I don't know if the Dems will do a lot better unless they go a celebrity candidate route (which would probably be Carl Lewis), they just don't hold a lot of local offices here.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 6, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

Runyan was not being beaten in a midterm (and neither is Frank LoBiondo if that's your next prediction). In 2012, running as a freshman while Obama carried the seat by 4 and the Democrats dumped a shitload of money behind Shelley Adler, Runyan cruised by 9. I think the stated reasons are probably right here: he's got young kids.

No, John Adler is dead. His wife ran for the seat in 2012 with strong institutional support and didn't come all that close. The Dem candidate currently in the race is a first term Burlington County freeholder and I don't know if the Dems will do a lot better unless they go a celebrity candidate route (which would probably be Carl Lewis), they just don't hold a lot of local offices here.

LoBiondo is just super entrenched in a way that Runyan isn't. I don't think it's controversial to say that if the Dems are taking the house in 2014 that NJ-1 will definitely flip.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

LoBiondo is just super entrenched in a way that Runyan isn't. I don't think it's controversial to say that if the Dems are taking the house in 2014 that NJ-1 will definitely flip.

Runyan was starting to look pretty entrenched too after 2012, and the Democratic bench of top tier candidates is much better in LoBiondo's district than Runyan's (but guys like Van Drew and Whelan won't take suicide runs at LoBiondo, to the eternal consternation of the DCCC).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Runyan was starting to look pretty entrenched too after 2012, and the Democratic bench of top tier candidates is much better in LoBiondo's district than Runyan's (but guys like Van Drew and Whelan won't take suicide runs at LoBiondo, to the eternal consternation of the DCCC).

The key is obviously to fund some tea bagger groups in NJ to get them to primary people like Lance, Lobiando and Smith.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The key is obviously to fund some tea bagger groups in NJ to get them to primary people like Lance, Lobiando and Smith.

Barring Sarah Palin moving to Atlantic City and deciding she wants to be a Congresswoman, LoBiondo would easily turn back any primary challenge, and the Democrats would not be terribly likely to beat a primary usurper of Lance or Smith in a general under the new maps.

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
Most of the current members of the House from NJ are well-entrenched. It would take a huge wave of some kind for an incumbent to lose. Heck, NJ even contains one of the most lopsided districts in the nation (the 10th district has a PVI of D +34 and the Democrat won 87% of the vote in 2012).

Adjunct Cheesecake fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 6, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

Most of the current members of the House from NJ are well-entrenched. It would take a huge wave of some kind for an incumbent to lose. Heck, NJ even contains one of the most lopsided districts in the nation (the 10th district has a PVI of D +34 and the Democrat won 87% of the vote in 2012).

I agree with you but sometimes these elections get nationalized and entrenched guys lose. Congress barely works 100 days a year. I guarantee you Runyan had other things on his mind besides spending time with his kids.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I wouldn't write off Hughes entirely, although I think it's more likely he loses once or twice before before scaring LoBiondo into retirement. Van Drew's problems with Garden State Equality should make the inevitable primary with Hughes really fun.

quote:

Yeah, it's a real weak bench despite being an Obama seat, and it moved a few points redder by replacing Cherry Hill with Brick. Still definitely winnable though. Troy Singleton seems like the best bet, although Norcross would be loath to give him up with Allen turning 65 and having already survived a cancer scare. There's also a pretty decent chance that without a Philadelphia sports hero (and blatantly dirty player, gently caress you Runyan) parachuting into the race, this has the potential for a bloody primary on the R side.

Speaking of which, has anyone mentioned Al Leiter yet at all?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

I wouldn't write off Hughes entirely, although I think it's more likely he loses once or twice before before scaring LoBiondo into retirement. Van Drew's problems with Garden State Equality should make the inevitable primary with Hughes really fun.

Yeah, it's a real weak bench despite being an Obama seat, and it moved a few points redder by replacing Cherry Hill with Brick. Still definitely winnable though. Troy Singleton seems like the best bet, although Norcross would be loath to give him up with Allen turning 65 and having already survived a cancer scare. There's also a pretty decent chance that without a Philadelphia sports hero (and blatantly dirty player, gently caress you Runyan) parachuting into the race, this has the potential for a bloody primary on the R side.

Anyone who would leave a cush TV Baseball broadcasting gig to run for congress is certifiable.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yeah I already heard that named floated by the Ocean side, probably not happening but Gilmore desperately wants a way to steal this seat from Burlington and has since Saxton retired.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Jimmy Carter's grandson, Georgia State Senator Jason Carter is going to challenge Deal for Georgia Governor next year. I'm kinda surprised by that, I really thought that Scott Holcomb was going to jump on that as he seems to have more conservative sway, but perhaps he correctly sees the race as doomed, even if Deal isn't very popular. Either way its another big name scion running.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 7, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Jimmy Carter's grandson, Georgia State Senator Jason Carter is going to challenge Deal for Georgia Governor next year. I'm kinda surprised by that, I really thought that Scott Holcomb was going to jump on that as he seems to have more conservative sway, but perhaps he correctly sees the race as doomed, even if Deal isn't very popular. Either way its another big name scion running.

Is Carter remembered at all for his tenure in Georgia or did his presidency wipe all of that away?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Brigadier Sockface posted:

This isn't the same Carter who discovered Romney's "47 percent" video, is it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ballz posted:

This isn't the same Carter who discovered Romney's "47 percent" video, is it?

Nope, that's James Carter IV.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ENDA is going to be a terrific wedge campaign issue for the democrats in 14 and 16 if it doesn't pass.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I previously stated that the Republican Party would not roll over and give up a House seat that they've held onto for more than 40 years.

But... that's exactly what it seems they're doing with FL-13. Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri and ex-Clearwater Mayor Frank Hibbard both declined to run for the seat, leaving a nobody lobbyist as the lone GOP candidate for the special election. Unless Alex Sink goes totally Martha Coakley on this race, the Democrats will have their next Congressional pickup.

I'm really fascinated with how much the Republican Party has bungled this thing. Bill Young was ancient and in poor health for years, the GOP should have been quietly planning for the day to arrive that he'd either croak or retire. But it seems his death caught them all completely with their pants down and once Sink jumped in for the Dems they practically raised the white flag.

There's still a week or so for somebody else to declare their candidacy, but I cannot think of a single possibility that wouldn't be any less of a longshot than David Jolly.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

ENDA is going to be a terrific wedge campaign issue for the democrats in 14 and 16 if it doesn't pass.

It won't pass. It will die in the House, just like every other piece of good legislation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

It won't pass. It will die in the House, just like every other piece of good legislation.

Then dems will hammer them on it for the next 3 years. I actually think there is a good chance that the house GOP is shamed into letting it pass ah la the VAWA...

• Locked thread