Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Oh Lord. I'd like to take a moment to point out I thought this was a Bad Idea to begin with.

But now that we're here, I just want to post a reminder:

Diogines posted:

"These Are The Laws And Ordinances Which You Shall Keep To You And Keep Among Your People For All Generations."

Yooouuuuu shaaallllll nooooooooot....

Do no injury to any fruit bearing tree.

I'm not sure what the right thing to do here is. But whatever we do, don't gently caress with the trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

N. "Melachim! I have strayed down a path I had not meant to take and am now lost. Please guide me back to myself. My friend is scared and desperately needs my guidance right now."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A, but if it looks like we're going to end up killing Snarls then backtrack to our own body and go find Ishamal.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Well.

N: I want to climb up, but not immediately over. I just want to see what's on the other side of the tree-wall.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FoxTerrier posted:

Oh Lord. I'd like to take a moment to point out I thought this was a Bad Idea to begin with.

But now that we're here, I just want to post a reminder:

I'm not sure what the right thing to do here is. But whatever we do, don't gently caress with the trees.
I am, like, 99% sure that injury in this context means cutting it down or something, not just picking the fruit.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
FFFFFF

Eat the citrusy fruit from which Ishamal "fruity drinks" are probably made!!!

When asked if eating the fruit was breaking the Code we were told, of course not, that is what they are for.

Edit: we seem to be back in the Enki body able to see a smoky version of the Snarls body? Give the fruit to both bodies.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 13, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Urgh...OK. After careful consideration there doesn't seem to be a good move here.

We know 'Jorah,' whoever he is, can exist in planes outside our own. So let's bank on that fact that's where we're at and try contacting him.

+

Also, when we get out of this, we need to stop doing stupid poo poo that imperils Snarls. And give him ALL the steak. ALL of it.

---

JT Jag posted:

I am, like, 99% sure that injury in this context means cutting it down or something, not just picking the fruit.

Probably, but if this Someone Important's personal orchard, I don't want to risk anything. Even climbing and potentially messing up the bark seems like a bad idea just now. That's just me tho.

EDIT Just btw here's a link to the voting icons, since it hasn't been posted in awhile: http://imgur.com/a/2q3kU

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 13, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
N, Enkidel is as he imagines himself to be, so Enkidel should imagine himself to be a bird and fly over the trees!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

JT Jag posted:

Beyond the Monument, thanks to all of the time you spent beside Tudiya while he sat on the King's chair, you have a good knowledge of Zepathan laws and customs. You already knew harming a fruit tree to be a sacrilege, a serious one in fact.

Harvesting fruit, pulling a leaf or even trimming branches are fine. Cutting one down or burning one down or otherwise harming one is seen as a crime both against El and against future generations.

Planting trees, especially fruit trees is seen as a semi-virtuous act.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
N: D with a side of I. We're not in Kansas anymore, and considering there's nobody nearby who we can question about this place I think it's time for some experimentation. If we're in some deeper part of Enkidel's subconscious rather than some sort of extradimensional plane, we might have some control over our surroundings. I vote we try to manifest things simply by thinking about them (e.g. our club, our bow, a sixth finger on each hand). If we can, we should experiment further and see what else we can do here. And if we fail, we try to get out of here. Somehow.

I do think we're in Enkidel's subconscious right now, and I base this on that line of trees we see. Ishamal gave us that fruity drink, which he says guards our mind from kings and Mighty Men. The wall of oranges is a metaphoric representation of the barrier Ishamal erected, and our waking mind is on the other side.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 13, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Eat the fruit!

And take some with us if we can to plant in the nearby wilderness on our Aron trip (supposing we get back).

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

H + I
Call out for Snarls.
Visualize a clear path to Snarls. Not his body, but his soul.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Zybourne Clock posted:

N: A with a side of I
I do think we're in Enkidel's subconscious right now, and I base this on that line of trees we see. Ishamal gave us that fruity drink, which he says guards our mind from kings and Mighty Men. The wall of oranges is a metaphoric representation of the barrier Ishamal erected, and our waking mind is on the other side.

I agree, but not sure we should be messing around right now with Snarls in such a state. We should probably go back to our body for now, but we should practice this skill!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Sogol posted:

Eat the fruit!

And take some with us if we can to plant in the nearby wilderness on our Aron trip (supposing we get back).
F and take some extra back with us. Head back immediately after eating one and gathering a handful.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder if we can weaponize this ability somehow. Perhaps one day we'll be able to take over the bodies of powerful beasts and manipulate them to do our bidding...

I do like Sogol's interpretation of the wall of trees. If calling for help fails, then we should call out to Snarls and push our way through the trees if possible to get back inside our own mind.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Welp we accidentally did a thing and now Ishamal's fruity drink is rearing its ugly head. Snarls didn't seem to have any issue with reading info from us, though...

I have nothing better than try to contact Snarls through the trees. Try to get him to go into his body.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Welp we accidentally did a thing and now Ishamal's fruity drink is rearing its ugly head. Snarls didn't seem to have any issue with reading info from us, though...

I have nothing better than try to contact Snarls through the trees. Try to get him to go into his body.

This.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
F. + think/call out to Snarls.

I want to climb the trees and see if there is a way over, so I might as well eat some fruit. Ishamal's mental fruit probably tastes great.

Question: Can we see the top of the trees, or do they just disappear in the fog?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
This whole thing seems to have gone a path I did not expect. I voted to try and see into Snarls' mind or thoughts, not physically try to mind meld to take direct control of his nose. Snarls never needed to touch us to know what we were saying in the moment to our girlfriend, not sure why we went overboard on our attempt.

I am not sure where we are. I like the explanation of the fruity barrier of our mind but maybe it is still a reflection of the real world with the spirit world blended in.

Question: how does Snarls' body look? Like it is sleeping? Standing? Or how we believe we left it as we attempted to swap back?

You guys are probably right about the Ishmael fruit barrier, but Snarls found a way to get in moments ago when we swapped and he had been reading our thoughts, something we suspect even Tudia was unable to do. Maybe we should call out the Snarls' consciousness and ask how he got 'in' there.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Diogines posted:

Planting trees, especially fruit trees is seen as a semi-virtuous act.

So Johnny Appleseed would be some kind of saint in this society?

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
F. Climb and eat a citrus fruit.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Oh, boy, this just keeps getting better and better. OK, here's my plan.

N: Knock on the trees and say that we are Enkidel, the rightful owner of the mind and body beyond, and we'd quite like to come home, please.

N: If that doesn't work, try to walk straight through the trees and hope they recognize the boss. Don't try to push through or damage the trees in any way, just act as if the trees aren't there and that the path ahead is clear. Stop if/when we bump our nose and fall back on our rear end.

J: If that too should fail, call out to Snarls, and ask him if he knows a way through this barrier. If, as I suspect, he doesn't know diddly, calmly tell him to follow our instructions, and try to get him to replicate the thoughts and actions that led to us falling into Snarls to begin with. While we're at this, pray to El for guidance.

L+M: Should this also fail, try contacting Uncle Jorah, less because I think it'll help and more because I can't see the harm and it might be interesting to see what happens.

A: Should all of the above fail and if Snarls can't be contacted, fall back to Snarl's body and repeat the steps mentioned in J, praying to dear El above that this isn't going to result in BOTH of us having our minds stuck in one doggy body.

Also, I don't know if I can do this right now, but I strongly recommend AGAINST eating the fruit and would vote against it if possible. These trees, real or spiritual, apparently form a mental barrier of some kind, and I'm worried about the effects of our spirit self eating the fruit of something designed to stick up walls in minds.

I also recommend against trying to visualize changes to our spirit self. It seems likely that our spirit self represents, to a degree, our innate view of who we are and what we should look like, and loving with that could lead to some potentially ugly consequences. Let's not go fooling around too much right now and just focus on getting back, we can conduct more experiments later once we've figured out how to safely enter and leave this realm.

Edit:

JT Jag posted:

Enkidu Guards The Stead. :)

And we have a winner!

Tomn fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 13, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Whatever we do, I think we should try to look for Snarls mind in here too and guide it back to his body- if we just return to our body by waking up or whatever, without helping him return to his, we might end up shunting his mind/soul to limbo or something.

N - Look/call for Snarls, climbing trees and walking around as need be. Think about Tudiyas kitchen and any other happy doggie thoughts that Mind-Snarls might be attracted to

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tomn posted:

Oh, boy, this just keeps getting better and better. OK, here's my plan.

N: Knock on the trees and say that we are Enkidel, the rightful owner of the mind and body beyond, and we'd quite like to come home, please.

N: If that doesn't work, try to walk straight through the trees and hope they recognize the boss. Don't try to push through or damage the trees in any way, just act as if the trees aren't there and that the path ahead is clear. Stop if/when we bump our nose and fall back on our rear end.

J: If that too should fail, call out to Snarls, and ask him if he knows a way through this barrier. If, as I suspect, he doesn't know diddly, calmly tell him to follow our instructions, and try to get him to replicate the thoughts and actions that led to us falling into Snarls to begin with. While we're at this, pray to El for guidance.

L+M: Should this also fail, try contacting Uncle Jorah, less because I think it'll help and more because I can't see the harm and it might be interesting to see what happens.

A: Should all of the above fail and if Snarls can't be contacted, fall back to Snarl's body and repeat the steps mentioned in J, praying to dear El above that this isn't going to result in BOTH of us having our minds stuck in one doggy body.

Also, I don't know if I can do this right now, but I strongly recommend AGAINST eating the fruit and would vote against it if possible. These trees, real or spiritual, apparently form a mental barrier of some kind, and I'm worried about the effects of our spirit self eating the fruit of something designed to stick up walls in minds.

I also recommend against trying to visualize changes to our spirit self. It seems likely that our spirit self represents, to a degree, our innate view of who we are and what we should look like, and loving with that could lead to some potentially ugly consequences. Let's not go fooling around too much right now and just focus on getting back, we can conduct more experiments later once we've figured out how to safely enter and leave this realm.

Edit:

And we have a winner!

Eat the fruit first. But if that fails then I vote Tomns plan

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

By all means let's eat the fruit in Paradise Lost...what could possibly go wrong?

vvv (I do think eating the fruit isn't wise, but mostly I'm just making a joke here. :downsrim: Dang y'all are serious tonight.)

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 13, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

FoxTerrier posted:

By all means let's eat the fruit in Paradise Lost...what could possibly go wrong?

Ain't no rule against it. El don't want us eating this fruit he can hang up a sign or something.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Throw the fruits at Snarls. Then rub some over yourself and eat them.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Sojenus posted:

Throw the fruits at Snarls. Then rub some over yourself and eat them.

You might be enjoying that fruit a little too much.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Question: how does Snarls' body look? Like it is sleeping? Standing? Or how we believe we left it as we attempted to swap back?

It is shrouded in fog and in a standing position.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

When you're eternally falling, anything to break up the monotony deserves special treatment.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I'd like to see you look those fruits right in the eye and turn them down!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Voting we eat some fruit whilst calling out to anyone who might be within calling distance.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Dio, do we ourselves have a form in this moment can we look down and see our hands?

What does our religion say the soul looks like?

Edit:Ugh my bad, didn't read that carefully.

GloriousDemon fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 13, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We look like Enkidel.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
If the forest of oranges is indeed the liminal state between the unconscious and waking mind, the Enkidel we control right now probably is real-world Enkidel's homonculus. Eating a mind-orange likely doesn't have any averse effects; at worst it will raise an orange tree-barrier in the mind of the homonculus, so that the homonculus' homonculus is protected against homonculus-king and homonculus-Mighty Man mind-reading powers.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

GloriousDemon posted:

What does our religion say the soul looks like?

According to the men of Zepath, the soul looks is a semi transparent figure which looks like the person.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

the_steve posted:

H + I
Call out for Snarls.
Visualize a clear path to Snarls. Not his body, but his soul.

I vote for this, with the addition of it if works, guide the soul back to the body.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Diogines posted:

According to the men of Zepath, the soul looks is a semi transparent figure which looks like the person.

Do the women of Zepath think differently?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Women are quasi-property in Zepath, who cares what they think?

Voting is closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
drat, I just realized something else we could have told Danal - "Be patient, brother. You will have many adventures in your time - indeed, you will have many, many more adventures than I ever will. For you are of the blood of Labaras, and I am not, and that means that you will live far, far longer than I will. When I am old and grey and useless, you will still be young and strong and bold, and when I am still and cold in the ground, you will still be having adventures. So be patient, Danal - your time will come. And in the meantime I must seize what chances I can, and make the most of my briefer existence."

Oh well, too late now!