Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Sudo Echo posted:

Hey there qtpie ;-*

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sudo Echo posted:

Hey there qtpie ;-*

Sup.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who invited you, four eyes?!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Jalopnik delivers the occasional gem.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Goddamm flounder are delicious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Jalopnik delivers the occasional gem.

So someone looked at a C6 Corvette and said "No, you see, that's too easy if the battery dies. We can't have that!"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IOwnCalculus posted:

So someone looked at a C6 Corvette and said "No, you see, that's too easy if the battery dies. We can't have that!"

Well now you have to tell that story.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cakefool posted:

You can still open the hatch of the C6 with a physical key and there's a thing in the hatch that you pull to unlock the doors.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Words fail me...

How much down force do you think that generates? Or is it meant to actually fly instead?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Wouldn't you just be able to push start the car?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not if it's dead enough that the engine controls don't work... ask me how I know. :argh:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

veedubfreak posted:

Wouldn't you just be able to push start the car?

You gotta have the computer on and properly stable, and enough juice to pressurize the fuel injectors. Even if you are driving something carbureted, you still had to have enough juice to energize the inner winding of the alternator or you'd just be pushing it around for nothing.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Kill-9 posted:

Words fail me...

How much down force do you think that generates? Or is it meant to actually fly instead?

Apparently they finished it and originally it was an Integra.

From shitty_car_mods on reddit.

More here: http://imgur.com/a/NwUYe

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Worst part about stuff like the vettegra, is 2 perfectly good cars were ruined to make it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0

It really isn't that bad of a process but there are actual stories of people honestly thinking they're trapped in C6 Corvettes.

On the Vettegra, I'd wager the back Corvette panel came either off of a totaled front-end crash, or was just bought as a replacement part. Still loving awful.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GODDAMMIT MAN TAKE OFF YOUR loving SUNGLASSES YOU GIANT DOUCHENOZZLE

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Throatwarbler posted:

You can still open the hatch of the C6 with a physical key and there's a thing in the hatch that you pull to unlock the doors.

That's new. When the keyless system stopped working in my '08 (several times) I had to crawl through the hatch and pull the emergency escape lever by the door.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Jason Walter: Sales Manager
Yeah thanks, I could tell from his wardrobe. I feel dirty just looking at him on youtube.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo they are even on a douchey strap so he can hang them round his neck

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Heres a fun story -

My E46 330Ci had 2 manual lock cylinders, one on the drivers door and one on the trunk. Well my soldered non-replaceable rechargeable key battery finally died, so I was using the manual lock to open the car. One day I go to open the door and the loving lock breaks and just starts spinning. I had to crawl in through the trunk to get in my car for awhile.

I bring it to the dealer and they have to wait 3 weeks to get a new lock cylinder shipped in from Germany. He quotes me for $800 for the cylinder and $500 for two new keys. I say I want to use the same key and he told me that was fine, they could re-key the cylinder, but the manual locks are designed to break after a certain number of uses as a security measure, since they are for "emergencies only".

I said I would take my chances and save $250 and use my key. I decide to investigate if I can replace the key battery. I end up finding a way to replace the battery, which involves a vice grip, razor blades, plastic epoxy and a soldering iron.

After far, far too much effort, I finally slice open the keyfob as well as my hand. I got the battery in and theoretically it should work. I then had to go through an intense process of reprogramming the fob back to the car, which I can only liken to an extremely complex Sega Genesis cheat code.

Success, the key works!

The next morning the car is unlocked, which is odd but could have happened from my excited unlocking spree once I fixed the key. I slap it into the ignition and the dash lights up and my headlights flash like the 5-0 on a drug raid. I frantically google the problem and it turns out my battery is dead. $100 later I install a new battery and find out the unlock button has been stuck closed on the fob from all the epoxy.

"Luckily" I had a second key and repeated the process all over again and finally fixed it.

TL;DR
Never buy a fancy car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The driver side lock on my E30 is broken and I have to lock/unlock my car from the trunk. I get some weird looks in parking lots from it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Voltage posted:

...the manual locks are designed to break after a certain number of uses as a security measure, since they are for "emergencies only".

What the hell? So is this to make it so your car can only get broken into 50 times instead of 51?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Rolo posted:

What the hell? So is this to make it so your car can only get broken into 50 times instead of 51?

your usual BMW customer would rather be told that than "BMW's lock cylinders are shoddy so you probably shouldn't use it too often"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Compare this to the old E30 cylinders, which anyone can rebuild to match a given key with a :10bux: shim pack.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Compare this to the old E30 cylinders, which anyone can rebuild to match a given key with a :10bux: shim pack.

I remember doing this for my mate's e30. Good times.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

rscott posted:

The driver side lock on my E30 is broken and I have to lock/unlock my car from the trunk. I get some weird looks in parking lots from it.

I do the same thing, but the door lock works, but is just really stiff and I am worried I will break the key off in it. Also, I only have 1 key for it, I really should get a copy made. Or just sell it, I haven't started the thing in weeks since I got my tdi sportwagen.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Volk posted:

That's new. When the keyless system stopped working in my '08 (several times) I had to crawl through the hatch and pull the emergency escape lever by the door.

It's show at 1:27 of the video posted above.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The E30 trunk-unlock thing threw me for a loop when I first encountered it on my coworker's 318i.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Negromancer posted:

I do the same thing, but the door lock works, but is just really stiff and I am worried I will break the key off in it. Also, I only have 1 key for it, I really should get a copy made. Or just sell it, I haven't started the thing in weeks since I got my tdi sportwagen.

You should remove the lock cylinder, clean and regrease it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Voltage posted:

Heres a fun story -

My E46 330Ci had 2 manual lock cylinders, one on the drivers door and one on the trunk. Well my soldered non-replaceable rechargeable key battery finally died, so I was using the manual lock to open the car. One day I go to open the door and the loving lock breaks and just starts spinning. I had to crawl in through the trunk to get in my car for awhile.

I bring it to the dealer and they have to wait 3 weeks to get a new lock cylinder shipped in from Germany. He quotes me for $800 for the cylinder and $500 for two new keys. I say I want to use the same key and he told me that was fine, they could re-key the cylinder, but the manual locks are designed to break after a certain number of uses as a security measure, since they are for "emergencies only".

I said I would take my chances and save $250 and use my key. I decide to investigate if I can replace the key battery. I end up finding a way to replace the battery, which involves a vice grip, razor blades, plastic epoxy and a soldering iron.

After far, far too much effort, I finally slice open the keyfob as well as my hand. I got the battery in and theoretically it should work. I then had to go through an intense process of reprogramming the fob back to the car, which I can only liken to an extremely complex Sega Genesis cheat code.

Success, the key works!

The next morning the car is unlocked, which is odd but could have happened from my excited unlocking spree once I fixed the key. I slap it into the ignition and the dash lights up and my headlights flash like the 5-0 on a drug raid. I frantically google the problem and it turns out my battery is dead. $100 later I install a new battery and find out the unlock button has been stuck closed on the fob from all the epoxy.

"Luckily" I had a second key and repeated the process all over again and finally fixed it.

TL;DR
Never buy a fancy car.

Okay now I'm really worried, I bought an e46 touring in September with 2 dead keys, the only lock cylinder is in the drivers door and I've been using that to get in since then. I've actually replaced one battery but the teach pattern I found didn't work. Do you have a link to your teach pattern?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

aventari posted:

Graphite. Grease is not the best, but a freshly cleaned lock, lubed with graphite and with a functional weather door/slot cover on it will stay lubed for a LONG time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

aventari posted:

It's probably actually the lock mechanism not the cylinder - I've only had one cylinder freeze up on any car I've ever worked on, but I've seen dozens of rusty/gunked up/dried out lock mechanisms.

Which is actually what usually breaks the cylinder, the connection from the rotating cylinder to the lever arm that the little pushrod clips into is generally just crimped/staked pot metal and isn't designed to handle that kind of torque. So after a while it just shears off.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Yeah agreed, that's pretty much what I meant and didn't say it well :shobon:

Basically get inside there, clean and grease all the moving linkages and mecahnisms and put graphite where the actual key fits. Of course while you have the door panel off, grease the door hinges, latch, door handle, window mechanism, etc. Anything that moves.

Do all that and it feels like a new car.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

aventari posted:

Yeah agreed, that's pretty much what I meant and didn't say it well :shobon:

Basically get inside there, clean and grease all the moving linkages and mecahnisms and put graphite where the actual key fits. Of course while you have the door panel off, grease the door hinges, latch, door handle, window mechanism, etc. Anything that moves.

Do all that and it feels like a new car.

Yea, that sounds like a lot of effort. This car also has a broken handle on the glove box for a couple months now, since I managed to break it the day I got my new registration and I don't think there is anything important in there. Really I just need to get rid of it and use the money to buy a new engine/transmission for my alltrac.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I don't know what it is about unlicensed children's TV show characters, but they fill me with a sweet sadness.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

I don't know what it is about unlicensed children's TV show characters, but they fill me with a sweet sadness.

How dare you refer to TOS as a children's show. That's Uhura. :colbert:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

This is good.

I would drive this. (except on Amber Alert days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Every day would be an amber alert day with that van rolling around town. :ohdear: