Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Holy poo poo, I love skill roulette. I now have a sniper with Aggression (+10% crit chance per enemy in sight), headshots can easily get 100% crit chance now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Burning Mustache posted:

Very quick modding question:

I've never played around with XCOM mods but reading up on it, it seemed pretty complicated what with the various settings being baked into the .exe.
I read that, with Enemy Within installed, it's no longer necessary to fiddle around with hex editors or stuff like that and that the game will read and apply all the settings from the \XEW\XComGame\Config\DefaultGameCore.ini file.

Is this true? Can I just go hogwild on the file, editing values, start a new game and be set?

Anyone? :ohdear:

I know there are some really knowledgeable XCOM modding goons around here, dammit!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I wonder if you could stuff Durand into a MEC right out of the gate when getting her.

...you probably can :stare:

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

That is exactly what I did with her. I thought her :black101: attitude made her perfect for it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
As far as I'm aware, Base Defense just grabs the top six guys on your roster. You get the top four to begin with, then the other two once you clear the command center. Some people elsewhere seem to think it pops when your Psi Labs are nearing completion, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. I also sat around on my rear end letting EXALT be a nuisance for the entire second month, because I knew it was coming, and nothing happened (on my first Normal playthrough I completely forgot that Base Defense was a thing and it was fantastic when the cutscene started to play, thankfully everyone was geared up and ready for it). I then sent a Support out on a covert op and the moment I hit Scan for Activity the base defense mission began.

The very beginning of the mission is absolutely terrifying. First a Muton drops in. Alright, no problem. Then a Berzerker. Fine. Then a Sectoid Commander in a corner nicely out of the way. poo poo, OK fine, need to make him a priority. Then a Chrysalid comes in through the ducts. Crap. Alright, stay clear of that area, we'll deal with it next turn. Then another Chrysalid. drat it. Definitely stay clear of that area. Then aerial reinforcements arrive and a Cyberdisk floats up about a turn's movement away... you've got to be making GBS threads me! Then another Cyberdisk, gently caress, help!! Then another Cyberd-ohcomethefuckon!

This would be bad enough with your entire A-Team, but you only have four of them and a handful of redshirts. If they manage not to get zombied then they're at least useful as mind control lightning rods. I can't bring myself to gun them down, but 4 damage from a poorly-aimed AR is not a big deal compared to a Muton with a Plasma Rifle so I guess you can shrug it off.

Thankfully it gets better as things progress. You can fortify yourself on high ground in the middle area and let the enemy come to you.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Pimpmust posted:

I wonder if you could stuff Durand into a MEC right out of the gate when getting her.

...you probably can :stare:

That's a huge waste of PSI-talent though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr Dog posted:

As far as I'm aware, Base Defense just grabs the top six guys on your roster. You get the top four to begin with, then the other two once you clear the command center. Some people elsewhere seem to think it pops when your Psi Labs are nearing completion, but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

It's almost certainly not accurate - when it popped for me, I hadn't even got around to starting the psi-lab.

The start of the mission is a huge clusterfuck that just keeps getting worse until you've finally cleared out the command center and start kicking rear end as you roll through and recapture the rest of the base. My only annoyances are that if you're not rolling around with your top 6 units all the time, and you use the "Unequip everyone not on this mission" button, you're likely to end up with some of your top-ranking soldiers running around equipped even worse than the base defense personnel (who at least get grenades).

Especially considering you're likely to be floating in Exalt laser weapons at that point, would it be that much to ask for your troops to automatically equip themselves? Heck, by the time that mission went down I had enough Exalt laser assault rifles that all of the base defense guys could have had one too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Well that went well, despite five Cyberdiscs and six Mechtoids. :stare:

Those two deaths were Rookies who earned me this achievement. :britain:

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I need a bit of an advantage right now 'till I upgrade to lasers. Should I upgrade one of my surplus assault corporals into my second MEC or wait 'till I have a better class with a higher rank? Right now assault's are the only class I have more than two of.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The base defense was the first time I bumped into Mechtoids, and I'm nowhere near getting a psi-lab. I think it's more of a slightly randomized timer that starts after you bust down the alien base.

The aliens spawning are also somewhat random, first alien for me that dropped down into the Globe was a Chryssalid, followed by a Mechtoid.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
The base defense mission was absolutely brutal for me. I had no idea it was coming, and most of my A-team was in the med bay, leaving maybe 1 A-teamer, 2 B-teamers and 3 squaddies. I had maybe 3 laser rifles between everyone which was alright - everything else was ballistic and I had just finished beam weapon research - but the worst part was how the game decided to equip my accessories. Most of my squad had no accessories equipped, and my one decent support guy with Field Medic had an arc thrower instead of a medikit, which meant I couldn't heal during the entire mission. I'm pretty sure at least 2 of my squad had basic armor equipped too so they had 5 or 6 hitpoints... long story short, the mission was a disaster.

What's crazy is that the spawns on that mission are completely random. I know this because I had to restart the mission around 5 times due to getting wiped out. Sometimes a Mectoid would drop at the start, sometimes a Muton, usually paired with a Chrysalid. Sometimes Cyberdiscs and Drones would come through the back, other times Floaters and Sectoid Commanders. The random nature of the spawns means that you can get really, really, really hosed sometimes. I remember one attempt on turn three I had two Cyberdiscs, two Drones, two Mectoids, and two Chrysalids in the command center. On another attempt I hadn't even fought my way out of the command center and five motherfucking Mectoids had spawned across the map, along with a few Sectoid Commanders and Cyberdiscs for good measure.

gently caress that mission, I hate it so much. It's fun in theory, except that the enemy drops are completely overpowered for that stage in the game, and due to their random nature they can literally be impossible to overcome. I was playing on Classic Ironman, and I gladly savescummed my way to victory for the sake of my own sanity (and since you can restart the mission even if you fail on Ironman who gives a gently caress.) On one attempt the game glitched out and no enemies spawned - I ran around the map for 30 minutes hoping that I'd get a free pass on the mission, but the game wouldn't let me proceed and I ended up grenading myself to death since you can't manually restart.

Anyway...

On a lighter note, does anyone else color code their classes? I use white for support, red for assault, black for sniper and yellow for heavy. :3:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Anony Mouse posted:

On a lighter note, does anyone else color code their classes? I use white for support, red for assault, black for sniper and yellow for heavy. :3:

Who doesn't do that? :colbert:
Although it's (dark) blue, red, black and green for me, respectively.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Anony Mouse posted:

Ahh! That was the colour coding I used for my first classic run! Do you give your squad helmets based on rank/class as well? Snipers in berets!

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Rookies get neon pink, a bald haircut and instructions to deliver their grenade or die trying.

Assaults get that one bright red/yellow colour scheme, a helmet and the knowledge that they're pretty much running around in Explosives Ground Zero at all times.

Snipers get whatever colour I feel like, but they ALWAYS get the baseball cap with the headset. ALWAYS.

Supports get summarily dismissed. The only exception is the first one, who gets all white armour, the skull helmet and a namechange to DOCTOR SINESTRO.

Heavies get black armour and a percentage commission from X-Com's shares in cement and construction firms.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I color mine uniquely since they're all special little snowflakes on training roulette and I need to see at a glance who I'm using

My mecs invariably ended up eyestabbing pink with blue tiger stripes, or yellow and purple or red and yellow.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

I color mine uniquely since they're all special little snowflakes on training roulette and I need to see at a glance who I'm using

My mecs invariably ended up eyestabbing pink with blue tiger stripes, or yellow and purple or red and yellow.

I have one bright pink heavy named Buddy Cole who is a loving monster.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I give people a hat and a colour when they rank up enough to get a nickname. I used to colour code the classes as soon as anyone ranked up enough to get a class, but in enemy within I constantly lose dudes so it got tiresome colouring in all the rookies.

Is it just me or is EW a lot harder than basic EU?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I make everyone dark, military green and give them the normal soldier looking helmet, the one before the baseball caps and such. When people hit captain they get to have a colour and whatever cool helmet they like. Colonels are the only people who ever have no helmet.

I can't wait to finish the normal playthrough I'm doing as a refresher, I beat EU on classic ages ago, but it's been such a long time since I've played I wanted to ease back into it. I'm looking forward to playing with all this new stuff and new adversaries on Classic, for sure.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Someone get on multiplayer quick like I've been waiting 20 mins since I last gutpunched some russian dude with my theen meens.

Edit: Unranked gogogogo

az
Dec 2, 2005

Burning Mustache posted:

Anyone? :ohdear:

I know there are some really knowledgeable XCOM modding goons around here, dammit!

I don't think so, I had to manually resource hack the exe to get my mods to take. Alternatively there's a tool made by some goon that makes the game read from the /config inis instead the baked ones however!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is it just me or is EW a lot harder than basic EU?

The new council missions are a punch to the balls, and the added "urgency" of finding meld can put you in situations you don't want to be in.
Beyond that, it doesn't seem to be that much worse.

EDIT: I got base defense straight after I sent my only high level assault (with mimetic skin to boot) to the Psi Labs for testing, leaving me with 2 MECs, a Heavy, a Sniper and a Support with proper equipment (because I am poor).
Having said that, the Base Defense is a nice change of pace from the usual missions, as are the Exalt missions.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 17, 2013

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

UberJumper posted:

In enemy unknown they kept re-offering them over and over until you accept them.

They always stopped offering for me after two declines in EU. Never came up again no matter how much time passed.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

az posted:

I don't think so, I had to manually resource hack the exe to get my mods to take. Alternatively there's a tool made by some goon that makes the game read from the /config inis instead the baked ones however!

Right, thanks a lot for the info, I'll look into that tool then!

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Ahh! That was the colour coding I used for my first classic run! Do you give your squad helmets based on rank/class as well? Snipers in berets!

I did this to a degree. My medics are all wearing the dark red and what looks like the paintball masks. My original Classic run's medic was wearing that getup and she was outkilling everyone, equipped with a Medkit and Stims. I always assumed she sprayed some of the stim inside of the helmet. Them and rookies being given the bright safety yellow armor, classic X-Com haircut and as many grenades as I can stuff into their hands.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the stealth tips earlier! If you chuck a ghost grenade at a mimic skin soldier that has been spotted, and you move that soldier to hard cover will it be stealthed again? It kinda achives the requirements for mimic to trigger in a roundabout way atleast?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Anony Mouse posted:

Get out of my head :stare:

Did it take anyone else 4-5 classic (ironman) runs to get a non-clusterfuck run?

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

Dongattack posted:

Thanks for the stealth tips earlier! If you chuck a ghost grenade at a mimic skin soldier that has been spotted, and you move that soldier to hard cover will it be stealthed again? It kinda achives the requirements for mimic to trigger in a roundabout way atleast?

Mimic genemod troopers are unaffected by ghost grenades, and cannot use the ghost component of ghost armor.

Edit: ^^^I had to learn the hard way to turn off aiming angles.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, so due to a poorly timed bout of psi testing and genetic modification, my A, B and C team Squishies are out of order during Operation Progeny which has finally kicked in with its second dam mission. As a result I'm now running all missions with two MECs and four Goliath SHIVs. This is quite possibly the funniest thing in the universe as they're almost literally rolling over everything, and I must do an all-robot gimmick Asia run at some point.

And oh my god their ickle cannons tuck into their bodies when they're moving :neckbeard:

Operant posted:

Get out of my head :stare:

He's in mine too! :gonk:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
While I still can't afford EW to play along, I typically go like this

-Standard X-Com Rookies get helmets and standard colours
-Standard Squaddies Lose their name and get a helmet, and a designated colour (Red - Assault, Purple - Heavy, Green - Support, Blue - sniper)
-From then on, Soldiers are allowed to customize the further along they promote until they are distinct characters.

This way the longer they survive the greater, and the greater the emotional bond. And the pain when they can no longer be saved.

I was also watching a playthrough of the Canada Council Mission. I'm wondering how possible it is to escape with all of your squad intact, as no matter how it went down, the streamer always lost the trigger guy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Godmachine posted:

I can't think of any expansion that has been this awesome in recent memory. Everything about EW has been great so far.

Gods and Kings for Civ V. Beyond the Sword for IV. Etc. Everything Firaxis makes is worth your money, twice over.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Anony Mouse posted:

I color code my four-man squads. Blue Squad's my A-team, Red Squad's my B-team, Yellow Squad's my C-team. MECs and Reserves are Black, and Rookies wear standard colors and the crappy helmets just after Guile-hair. Psychics are White. As people die, Reserves promote to full team members to fill the needs of the team.

I'll rotate teams out each mission, trying to give the team members time to heal, but that's not working out with EW's more accelerated mission frequency. Right now I'm basically throwing together ad-hoc teams to plug holes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Every Firaxis expansion after Warlords has been pretty amazing actually.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Byers2142 posted:

I color code my four-man squads. Blue Squad's my A-team, Red Squad's my B-team, Yellow Squad's my C-team. MECs and Reserves are Black, and Rookies wear standard colors and the crappy helmets just after Guile-hair. Psychics are White. As people die, Reserves promote to full team members to fill the needs of the team.

I'll rotate teams out each mission, trying to give the team members time to heal, but that's not working out with EW's more accelerated mission frequency. Right now I'm basically throwing together ad-hoc teams to plug holes.

MECs deserve to be personalized, that's how the streamer wound up with a Japanese soldier who looked perpetually mopey named Shinji Ikari.

LOOK AT THIS GUY!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Onmi posted:

I'm wondering how possible it is to escape with all of your squad intact, as no matter how it went down, the streamer always lost the trigger guy.

I managed to do it by having the other 5 guys stand at the very beginning of the ship and shoot everything that moves while he sprints back, and then just sprint everyone back, occasionally taking pot shots if a chryssalid comes too close for comfort.

But the mission did trigger rather late so my squad was already fairly well-equipped.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Onmi posted:

MECs deserve to be personalized, that's how the streamer wound up with a Japanese soldier who looked perpetually mopey named Shinji Ikari.

LOOK AT THIS GUY!

Makes me want a Sims like spinoff for X-Com.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Well, I'm never going to look at a sleepy tranquil fishing village in the same way again. Thanks to Training Roulette, I've lost my only decently skilled Sniper and Support.

Burning and Punching endless Chrysalis and Zombies with the MEC's was admittedly fun though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Does this "base defense" thing happen after a certain time, or after certain missions ??

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Does this "base defense" thing happen after a certain time, or after certain missions ??
Happens sometime after you pop the enemy base, I think. Long enough that your dudes should definitely be out of the medbay if they got hurt during your assault.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PirateBob posted:

After the alien base. Its exact time at that point isn't consistent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Eej posted:

Every Firaxis expansion after Warlords has been pretty amazing actually.

X-COM and the civ 5 expansions were designed by guys who designed some pretty good board games including one of the guys who designed the #1 game on boardgamegeek.

• Locked thread