Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Our friends at Big Soccer haven't given up hope, it's still definitely not his fault. These are all within the past 24 hours.

quote:

I'm starting to change my tune about Altidore's time with Sunderland. After watching his brief appearance today, I have changed the blame from Altidore to the team that he plays for, IMO.

Altidore did his job well today. He came in to hold up the ball and act as a target forward, and did his job as well as you could have asked for. Altidore had absolutely no support up top, and did well given the situation most of the times that the ball was booted to him.

Reading big soccer, I couldn't believe some of the reactions. Some people were actually critiquing his play. Was Altidore supposed to dribble through the whole Manchester City defense with no help? Sunderland parked the bus, so Altidore had no help.

The reason that my tune has changed is I have realized the job that he has had to do. For instance today, he didn't have one attacking chance or wasn't in one threatening attacking position. I don't believe Altidore has had more than four or five quality attacking chances this year, and strikers don't finish every chance they get.

Altidore has probably had as many quality attacking chances this year with Sunderland as he had with AZ Alkmaar during a typical game. Strikers need to score goals in the league, but when you don't get attacking chances, you can't score goals. It doesn't matter if Messi or Ronaldo played for Sunderland, 5 attacking chances is 5 attacking chances. No one can score 10 goals with 5 chances. Jozy can't be blamed for not scoring goals when he doesn't get attacking chances.

quote:

I'd be curious how someone like Van Persie would do on this team. I'd wager he'd have a tough time breaking 10.

quote:

He hasn't threatened the goal because he doesn't get chances. Strikers that can't create on their own can't score ten goals with 5 chances. He is a striker that needs service to score goals, and he hasn't gotten that necessary service. How many good chances has he gotten this season? It can't be more than four or five. Tons of strikers miss four or five good chances in a row. For most strikers, thats called a bad game. Unfortunately for Altidore, thats a bad three months with Sunderland. He doesn't get proper service.

quote:

Whoever is defending Sunderland and accusing Jozy of not doing enough, you do realize Sunderland is the worst team in the Prem right? Hell, they might even be terrible in the Championship. Put Jozy on a team that plays actual football like Arsenal, Liverpool, Swansea, or even SoTo and he would be bagging goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Still a while to go until he somehow manages to stumble three balls into the net imo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Did somebody, somewhere use the abbreviations 'SoTo' for Southampton?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Did somebody, somewhere use the abbreviations 'SoTo' for Southampton?

They did.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's outrageous. I'm upset about that.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Scoring a goal doesn't happen by chance, to get on the end of these chances Jozy needs to chance his arm so we can hear some Jozy chants, although personally I don't think he has a chance in hell of converting any chances.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
I'm stoked to watch SoTo in the Barclay's this season. Hope they sign Landycakes in January

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Babby Thatcher posted:

I'm stoked to watch SoTo in the Barclay's this season. Hope they sign Landycakes in January

Agreed OP maybe he'll prove himself in Europe finally.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Healbot posted:

Still a while to go until he somehow manages to stumble three balls into the net imo.

My private prediction (couldn't handle the pressure itt) was that Jozy would clumsily bundle in a total of two goals, which seemed pretty reasonable at the time. The Joz just continues to amaze.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Have we really resorted to reading BigSoccer to find Jozy apologists?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Hell, even SoTo

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
SoTo as an abbreviation is absolutely ridiculous

Southamp Ton

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Makes as much sense as Soton ie none, im not defending it btw that person should be killed by a predator drone

jack3485
Aug 14, 2007

If Clint Dempsey joins a premiership side on loan during the January transfer window and stays for six weeks, what are the chances he finishes the 2013-14 Barclay's season with more goals than Jozy?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

He's already tied with Jozer.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

jack3485 posted:

If Clint Dempsey joins a premiership side on loan during the January transfer window and stays for six weeks, what are the chances he finishes the 2013-14 Barclay's season with more goals than Jozy?

0%. He will finish with the same amount of goals as Jozy, 9. That is right. I think he is certifiably not good. However, I think he will score 9 goals. They will both score 9 goals. Right? :cripes:

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Josmer going to score all the goals against Scotland tomorrow

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Dempsey scored 1 goal in like 700 minutes in the MLS this season. I'm pretty sure even Jozy could've mustered up 2.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Another worthless performance from j dog.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Another worthless performance from j dog.

Agreed. If he can't score against Scotland how can he score in the Barclays?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I bet Kris Boyd could out-score Jozy

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Chris de Sperg posted:

I bet Kris Boyd could out-score Jozy

Kris Boyd has never scored a Premier League goal, whereas Jozy has scored 1 Premier League goal.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Kris Boyd has never scored a Premier League goal, whereas Jozy has scored 1 Premier League goal.

by scoring less than Jozy, has he out Jozy'd Jozy?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

"Fair is foul and foul is fair" - Jozy Altidore, 2013

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

the sex ghost posted:

jozy altidore, better than bosko balaban. A prestigious club to be in.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Jozy will come strong in the next calendar year!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Jozy will come strong in the next calendar year!

Is that when he gets sold back to AZ?

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
AZ doesn't want Jozy, they already have a better American striker there.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Jozy will go to the Scottish Premiership and score 17 goals

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I heard Seattle bought a forward who turned out to be really bad, maybe Jozy can go and rescue them?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Byolante posted:

I heard Seattle bought a forward who turned out to be really bad, maybe Jozy can go and rescue them?

Replacing a bad striker w/ jozy

seems like a step back to me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://soundcloud.com/guardianfootballweekly/football-weekly-france-ukraine

32:58-33:22 lmao

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Byolante posted:

more like clint dumpsey

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Seattles out of money now lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

80085 posted:

Seattles out of money now lol
Sunderland will probably pay them to take Josmer

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

That's a bit unfair on Steven Fletcher, who has already scored two more goals than Jozy this season

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Jozy just needs more time, and world class players around him, and to be playing for a different team, in a different league, and then he'll come good. you'll see

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Jozy just needs more time, and world class players around him, and to be playing for a different team, in a different league, and then he'll come good. you'll see

Just need to be a possession based team. Villarreal doesn't count.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Has anyone considered moving Jozy to centre back? It worked wonders for Chris Samba's career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah! Jozy could be on 200k/week in no time!

• Locked thread