Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, so Manowar announced their US tour dates, and the closest they will be to me is Chicago, 8 hour drive.

I am going to be buying tickets the second they go on sale this friday, and am going to be looking at reserving a hotel room.
I am currently trying to convince my friend to make the drive up there, but he has a newborn son, so I don't know if that is going to happen. I am going to be picking up two tickets just in case.

Anyone else planning on hitting Manowar at Chicago?

I'm thinking about the Chicago show, but that's about $100 for a ticket. It will be so bad, but so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Demilich 20th anniversery release stuff is up for preorder...remaster sounds awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT76I8R9RBw

http://www.svartrecords.com/shoppe/en/home/2428-demilich-20th-adversary-of-emptiness-3lp-box.html

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Dyscrasia posted:

I'm thinking about the Chicago show, but that's about $100 for a ticket. It will be so bad, but so awesome.

That's insane. I saw them at a small club in the NW Chicago suburbs in 1997 for $15. It was a great show, Eric kept grabbing women from the front row and pulled them on stage so he could make out with them.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Gamma Nerd posted:

I switched Possessed around to death/thrash - I am perfectly willing to keep people's suggestions in mind, it's just very hard to put things into the endless subcategories metal seems to lend itself to, and harder to keep it to a manageable sized list of "essential albums" (still thinking of putting Ripping Corpse and Infester on the list but I can't be arsed to remove albums I personally enjoy). Far too hard for me to actually do on my own. So please, do bother with the band choices, I posted it on this site because I know we have knowledgeable metal fans on here. Much more knowledgeable than me, certainly :v: If you want to be a douche and not contribute to some totally non-objective thing I'm doing for fun and to educate myself and others, go ahead. But I would rather have people be helpful.

I would have included Infester - To The Depths. Also at least one Sadistik Exekution album somewhere. And Goatlord. And Rottrevore and Pyrexia. I'd have Morpheus Descends in over the band ripping them off. Your black/death section needs work - where are Order From Chaos for a start? I don't understand why you'd recommend Portal in a roundabout way, while also recommending bands that are pretty much just ripping them off too... Just stick them on there and lose Mitochondrion or the like.

I think Autopsy & Excoriate look like they've been jammed into sub-genres they don't really fit just to get them in somewhere. Death/Doom is more stuff like Crimson Relic, Sempiternal Deathreign and Morgion than Autopsy.

The reason I dislike lists is because they're sort of pointless, you end up pigeonholing bands into sounds they don't suit, or picking with a geographical bias. I mean there's tons of bands out there there that aren't even that well known that could go on such a list easily.

[edit] and the descriptions are pigeon-holing too - Legion is more tech than most death metal albums, and tbh, I'd say you have to have Molested on the list somewhere too, but they suit absolutely none of the descriptions.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 28, 2013

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sleepingbuddha posted:

That's insane. I saw them at a small club in the NW Chicago suburbs in 1997 for $15. It was a great show, Eric kept grabbing women from the front row and pulled them on stage so he could make out with them.

Any doubts I had about driving 8 hours to Chicago just got burned away by the purifying flames of metal.

It actually looks like an easy drive. I'll get on 57 and...stay on 57 all the way directly there. for 500 miles.
If I'll drive to Kansas City for Iron Maiden, I can do Chicago for Manowar.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

sleepingbuddha posted:

Was that with Immortal? I saw Manowar and Immortal in Aurora (I think) quite a while back, not sure the year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Gamma Nerd posted:

Final edit I think.

New York is not New England :colbert:

The Clit Avoider posted:

The reason I dislike lists is because they're sort of pointless, you end up pigeonholing bands into sounds they don't suit, or picking with a geographical bias.

Within a few months someone is inevitably going to get the wrong idea from something, but if it looks like educational material, it has authority!

The worst attempted genre labels I've ever heard:
3. Body Count are speed metal (thanks Wikipedia)
2. Underoath's early stuff is black metal
1. Atheist, Cynic, Death, and Pestilence are "proto-djent"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That last one is really bad but reminds me to go listen to Unquestionable Presence for like the tenth time this week

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Dyscrasia posted:

Was that with Immortal? I saw Manowar and Immortal in Aurora (I think) quite a while back, not sure the year.

No, I don't think so. I know it wasn't Aurora, it was a suburb farther north. I do remember it being the loudest loving show I've ever been to. It's the only show I've been to when I wished I had ear plugs.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

muike posted:

That last one is really bad but reminds me to go listen to Unquestionable Presence for like the tenth time this week

I've been totally addicted to An Incarnation's Dream and Your Life's Retribution recently. That album is nearly flawless.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Anyone seeing Finntroll, Blackguard and Metsatoll in Denver on Saturday? I usually go to concerts with my brother but he can't make it, so I'd like to meet up with other people if possible.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Hamferd put out an album and nobody told me! Fuuuuck it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzaU_8h9XuI

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Dyscrasia posted:

I mean, you could do that, or you could stay home and taser your own ears and nipples?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Father_Johann posted:

I mean, you could do that, or you could stay home and taser your own ears and nipples?

It really was a tough decision, but I don't have a taser, which forced me to buy the tickets.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dyscrasia posted:

Well, don't take too long to think about it . That place only holds 1600. I bought two soon As they went on sale. I expect it to be sold out pretty soon.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

A childhood friend of mine started a prog metal (i think this is the genre but I could be completly wrong) band called the The Isosceles Project about 5 or 6 years ago and I like to check up on them every now and then to see how its coming along.

Today they posted there last EP as a free download on bandcamp and I was pretty blown away by how far they come. So if any of you want to give it a listen its here. I feel kinda weird whoring out an acquaintance's band in a forum I never post in, but I also feel the only bad thing I could say about this band is there choice of a name, everything else sounds amazing.

https://bandcamp.com/download?cart_id=7143076&sig=48079fc7299ed4dff8e9b0528126c82d&from=check

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, don't take too long to think about it . That place only holds 1600. I bought two soon As they went on sale. I expect it to be sold out pretty soon.

No doubt, a couple of friends held a gun to my head, my ticket is purchased.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Dyscrasia posted:

No doubt, a couple of friends held a gun to my head, my ticket is purchased.

Wow friends who hold guns to your head AND make you go see Manowar? New friends time?

Just kidding, bro. Hope you have a loving awesome time!

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

20 years after I purchased it (Halloween night '93), Danzig II remains one of the best metal albums ever. I've been listening to Danzig I, II, III and Thrall for the last few weeks and I said godDAMN.

IV didn't age well. A lot of the distorted vocals and experimenting with backwards masking on the rest of the album just feel like bad omens of what happened on later albums.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Here's a funny interview by Evan Linger from Skeletonwitch.

Text for people who hate clicking on things:

quote:

Skeletonwitch’s Evan Linger on the annoying positivity of Barenaked Ladies’ “One Week”
By Marah Eakin Nov 28, 2013 • 12AM
In HateSong, we ask our favorite musicians, writers, comedians, actors, and so forth to expound on the one song they hate most in the world.

The hater: BassistEvan “Loosh” Linger joined epic Ohio thrash band Skeletonwitch in 2008, about five years after the group’s inception. The band has released three excellent albums since, including the new Serpents Unleashed, which is out now on Prosthetic Records. Imbued with humor, riffs, and intense amounts of satanic energy, Serpents is the kind of massive record that can help tamp down the rage and anxiety that usually arises around the holidays, when endless mall hours can produce spontaneous outbursts that lean more towards naughty than nice. Get in the car, turn the heat up, listen to Serpents Unleashed full blast, and exorcise that hostility. Skeletonwitch will tour the States in January of next year.

The hated: Barenaked Ladies, “One Week” (1998)

The A.V. Club: Why is “One Week” your least favorite song?

Evan Linger: I did a lot of soul searching on this one. There are a lot of songs I hate, because I’m naturally a hater. I just hate this one the most. In the late ’90s, music really took a turn for the worse, grasping at the straws of all this alternative music. So there’s stuff like Sugar Ray—those songs, they’re so bad. Hootie And The Blowfish: terrible. Blues Traveler: terrible. But those are rock songs. At least someone was trying. “One Week” wasn’t even a rock song. It’s a weird college-rock song with some rap in it, and it doesn’t even qualify as music. It’s sort of like a big joke, so that’s why I picked it.

AVC: People seemed to like this song less the longer it was out.

EL: Yeah, it was one of those you couldn’t escape no matter how much you hated it or liked it. It was always on the radio. It’s not just bad; it’s insidious and invasive.

AVC: What is it specifically that you don’t like about it?

EL: It’s the weird rap, and it’s some of the particular lyrics to the rap. Like I said before, it’s a college-rock song until the rap starts and I don’t like college rock. Plus, it’s Barenaked Ladies, and they’re the total package. They did the theme for that Big Bang Theory show and that show is terrible. Every other song they have is terrible. Have you ever seen the video?

AVC: Who hasn’t?

EL: The video is terrible. Every time I look at the band I want to fight them or something. I know there’s the two main guys and one had a goatee and one had a weird fishbowl fat head. I don’t like the song, but it makes me mad just to think about the video.

AVC: What is it in particular that you don’t like about the late ’90s?

EL: The ’90s had some bands that I didn’t love, but it’s more about how you have these late-’80s/early-’90s bands like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and the kind of alternative thing starting to get big, and that’s when I started to realize music was a thing. I was into some of those bands, but I was a little young to go to those shows. But then as the ’90s wore on, nobody thought of anything different. You still had this kind of alternative thing going on, and it was becoming more watered-down and radio-friendly. It got really diluted, so at the end of the ’90s, you had that Sugar Ray song “Fly” and the Barenaked Ladies song, and Alanis Morissette, and even more radio-friendly alternative stuff that was total crap but trying to be alternative music.

AVC: Some of those songs sounded like they came out of a lab. Having talked to Ed Robertson from Barenaked Ladies, though, I don’t think this song is one of those.

EL: They did something on NPR. I don’t know if they were on “Fresh Air” or something like that, but it made it worse because they seemed like okay guys. It’s funny that you’ve actually talked to one of them. Maybe they’re okay guys, but they committed a real heresy as far as music goes. I wonder if they know that, and I wonder if they can sleep at night. I wonder if they still think it’s cool to play that song live. They’re just on another loving planet than the one I live on.

AVC: Canada.

EL: Yeah, that’s another thing. They’re Canadian. I love Canada and there are awesome bands in Canada and I love playing up there and I’d move there in a second. It’s awesome. Everything about Canada is awesome except Barenaked Ladies. They’re an insult to the region, I would say.

AVC: Reading the lyrics to a song is never really a good idea, because they always read so flat and lifeless, but the lyrics for this song are especially lovely. They’re so of a moment.

EL: I wholeheartedly agree. It’s also embarrassing that when I read them, I know them. It’s like a Mad Lib where, if they left out some of the verbs and nouns, I could probably fill them in. In fact, in preparation for this interview, I was soul-searching for the song that brings up the most black hate in me, and it was obviously the Barenaked Ladies song. So I watched the video a few times and read the lyrics to keep my power up so I was extra angry for a good interview. I read the lyrics for three days, I think.

AVC: Barenaked Ladies seems like the polar opposite to Skeletonwitch.

EL: I don’t think we have anything in common. I hope we don’t have anything in common. If we do, maybe we’ll just throw in the towel.

AVC: Sometimes when we do these stories, commenters say, “Of course they picked this song. It’s the easiest song in the world to hate.” This one is going to get that response.

EL: I actually couldn’t think of anything in the beginning. There are a lot of bad songs, so you kind of have to narrow it down to a time period. With the age I am, I picked the ’90s. I think some of the stuff from that era… If you listen to a Nirvana album, does it hold up? Some of it probably doesn’t hold up, but it’s still really genuine and it’s kind of dark and kind of angry. I play in a metal band, so I’m a huge fan of black metal and can really get behind things that are dark and moody and angry and angsty. So, with “One Week,” I end up thinking about of how jovial the song is. It’s like they’re laughing in your face when they sing, like they know they’re singing a really bad song but they’re just shoving it in your face. Like, “We know you’re going to hate it. In your face!” It’s almost insulting when I listen to it.

AVC: To play devil’s advocate, what’s wrong with fun music? What’s wrong with having a good time?

EL: Nothing. We definitely have a good time when we’re up on stage. That’s one thing that separates us from the European black metal bands, because they’re not smiling when they play music. We do smile because we’re having a good time. There’s definitely not anything wrong with having fun with it. I just think “One Week” is so upbeat that it seems like a song that you’d write if nothing ever went wrong in your life. Like, if you never got a flat tire or a hangnail or anything like that, those would be the lyrics to your song.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

TheAbortionator posted:

A childhood friend of mine started a prog metal (i think this is the genre but I could be completly wrong) band called the The Isosceles Project about 5 or 6 years ago and I like to check up on them every now and then to see how its coming along.

Today they posted there last EP as a free download on bandcamp and I was pretty blown away by how far they come. So if any of you want to give it a listen its here. I feel kinda weird whoring out an acquaintance's band in a forum I never post in, but I also feel the only bad thing I could say about this band is there choice of a name, everything else sounds amazing.

https://bandcamp.com/download?cart_id=7143076&sig=48079fc7299ed4dff8e9b0528126c82d&from=check

Your friends are pretty badass IMO, I like this a lot. This would make some excellent workout music. Instrumental only metal doesn't usually capture my interest, but this does.

Hammer Floyd posted:

But really, the best "Story" album from Opeth is Still Life. You can't beat The Moor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hRznmgLUo

This man speaks the truth. I am one of the worst people in the world when it comes to noticing, comprehending, and caring about the actual lyrical content of an album. Still Life is one of those rare albums that transcends that for me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

p4vl posted:

IV didn't age well. A lot of the distorted vocals and experimenting with backwards masking on the rest of the album just feel like bad omens of what happened on later albums.

There were a few okay songs like Until You Call on the Dark, even if it was just Twist of Cain pt.6 or whatever. To be fair though that's probably nostalgia speaking more than anything else.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are the best bands for prog metal? I'm a begginer in prog metal and am looking for a good place to start.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well Dream Theater is the biggest and most obvious one. Depending on your feelings about harsh vocals, Opeth and Between the Buried and Me (went from metalcore to full-on prog metal starting with Colors) are the best IMO. maudlin of the Well are great too. Orphaned Land have one spectacular album (Mabool) and a lot of decent ones.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xandoom posted:

What are the best bands for prog metal? I'm a begginer in prog metal and am looking for a good place to start.

You should listen to Haken. They are everything Dream Theater should have been and more.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Xandoom posted:

Fates Warning and Voivod are great. FW are heavy/prog and Voivod are thrash/prog, not pure prog, though. Maybe Pain of Salvation would be nice?

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Xandoom posted:

Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, and Psychotic Waltz.

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 3, 2013

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tool are surely worthy of a mention.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xandoom posted:

Been mentioned a lot but depends what you mean when you say prog. That said people have already mentioned bands so I might as well pick out albums for those bands

Pain of Salvation: You probably want "The Perfect Element" and "Remedy Lane". I loved this band when I was younger because there's a lot more emotion than a lot of other prog which always sort of came off as soulless to me - it's a lot more about the lyrics and vocals than most prog, or really most metal in general. The album after those two, "BE", was a HUGE departure from their sound (there is a track which is literally just a bunch of phonecalls fans of the band left on an answering machine), it's really divisive. I stopped paying attention to the band after Scarsick.

Ayreon: The Human Equation is probably the best starting point. A guy in a coma has his life played back to him. Each track is a different memory and they have a different vocalist for every emotion he experiences. If it sounds cheesy, welcome to Prog :cool: Ayreon goes a step further than most prog with the concept album thing and has EVERY SINGLE ALBUM as part of a huge overarching story (as far as I understand). The album that just came out is supposed to be good as well but I haven't had a chance to listen.

Opeth: I haven't followed them recently but from what I understand Akerfeldt has made a conscious decision to not do metal at all anymore? Their earlier stuff would have songs that shifted between death metal and progressive metal. The fan favorite used to be "Blackwater Park", my favorite was always "My Arms, Your Hearse" but that's possibly a lot heavier than what you're looking for.

My prog metal knowledge is clearly stuck in 2005

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Does Agalloch count as prog metal? They completely ignore traditional song structure and almost all of their songs are 7 minutes or longer, but I'm not sure if that's enough to qualify as "prog". They are super heavy with harsh vocals, but the vocals are only a small fraction of the song time.

But everyone should listen to Agalloch anyway.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
Animals as Leaders is supreme guitar wank fuel for prog nerds who don't want vocals. Cloudkicker, too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
^Scale the Summit are the best example of that style though.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Tool are surely worthy of a mention.

I love Tool but they aren't really a metal band.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness Pt. 2 and Haken - The Mountain are the best prog metal releases of the year.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Karnivool's Asymmetry blew me away as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhfVNeJKaA

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Prog prog prog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-5P7PWkvFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDtJBzakK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUbTxm7Y-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBPIEaZppeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFEQNF-Lh-E

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kumbamontu posted:

I had no idea they released a new one, thanks for that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Do you guys have any recommended sites for buying metal tshirts, especially for older black metal bands (90s and earlier)?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you guys have any recommended sites for buying metal tshirts, especially for older black metal bands (90s and earlier)?

https://www.rockabilia.com is fairly decent if you want a big selection. I have a Burzum shirt that somebody bought me off of that site, and I'm pretty happy with the quality.

wuLFe
Oct 21, 2010

sleepingbuddha posted:

No, I don't think so. I know it wasn't Aurora, it was a suburb farther north. I do remember it being the loudest loving show I've ever been to. It's the only show I've been to when I wished I had ear plugs.

The Immortal/Manowar tour was in March 2002 - I caught the Indianapolis leg of the tour (incidentally, the last US tour Immortal did before they broke up). The place was packed for Immortal, but by the time Manowar took the stage, there were only about 20-30 people left - I stayed for Manowars set, but more out of pity than anything else. They were pretty good though - although they paled to the glory of Immortal....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kumbamontu posted:

I found Asymmetry kind of... uneven, I guess? :haw: Their previous album, Sound Awake, is a bit less weird.

There's also a prog rock thread for all of your not-metal-but-still-wanky recommendation needs (Steven Wilson).