Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't 14 13 inch do something similar awhile back?

Not quite as bad IIRC, but still looked painful.

Why do you think he changed his name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

D C posted:

Ohhh man i bet that printer smelled amazing.

Back when I still worked on computers, I got called in to fix the bakery computer at a Cinnabon. Probably a pound of cinnamon in those fans, my whole bench smelled delicious.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I've sanded off my fingertips quite a few times. I don't recommend it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KozmoNaut posted:

Why do you think he changed his name?

Weather got colder...shrinkage.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Amykinz posted:

I'm linking this because it's kinda gory, but my husband managed to have his hand slip into a running power steering belt yesterday at work. I'm honestly surprised it's not a LOT worse.

Oh god I'd totally forgotten. I did something similar a decade ago. Except the motor wasn't running at the time - instead I accidentally shorted the starter motor while my finger was in just the wrong spot and the v belt pulled it around upside-down to the apex where it stopped.

Was sure it was broken all to hell as there didn't look to be any deflection in the belt. Just finger disappearing at the top of the pulley on one side, then air above the belt, then the dark purple fingertip reappearing above the pulley on the other side.

Tried muscling it out/around but no dice. Nobody around to come help and nothing within reach to cut the belt with.

My hand was already twisted upside down in some kind of automotive judo hold but I decided there was nothing to do but poke around with a screwdriver and try to bump the starter to twist my arm the rest of the way around.

It worked, but my finger was nearly black and shaped like the letter W. At the time I had no insurance and was panicked about how I was going to pay the hospital bills. Somehow though it slowly morphed back to normal over the next several hours with no harm done (and no lessons learned).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I want a coffee table book filled with these I6 stories.

Mine was the Chevy I6 with a teeny 1-barrel in a 1977 Nova sedan. A hunk of junk that I got from a friend for five hundred bucks. I got it cause it "wouldn't idle right"; started it up, hit the carb with a log to knock it off the 2500 rpm idle it was stuck at, and paid the man. After driving it to Chicago and back for my first road trip solo ever (from Hot Springs, AR) we decided that it needed a paint job. I went to Walmart and got 24 $0.97 cans of flat black and to the liquor store for a case of beer. Three friends came over and started the game - empty a can, get a can. I made sure we painted the hood and trunk first.

Anyways, the radiator sprung a leak and this was before I really 'got' cars on a fundamental level, and just knew that I could bring it back by letting it cool off and filling it with water. I got a flipoff radiator cap and learned the location of every gas station in Hot Springs with a hose. I could get anywhere from 1-10 miles before the idiot light went on, and after that I had about a minute before it lost all power, but would diesel incessantly. I got good at stalling it out via just the right rhythm of accelerator pumps. Then flip the radiator cap, smoke a cigarette, and fill it up with ice cold water from a hose.

Anyways, my landlord and I were in this weird cold war, and one day I parked literally about one inch over the line. He had it towed, I didn't have the cash to get it out, so I sold it to a buddy out of impound for $1. He got it, fixed the radiator and drove it for several more years. I still miss that car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you can't weld you shouldn't be attaching weight boxes to pulling trucks.

http://blog.powerblocktv.com/truck-pull-ends-in-disaster/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

If you can't weld you shouldn't be attaching weight boxes to pulling trucks.

http://blog.powerblocktv.com/truck-pull-ends-in-disaster/

But they doubled up on the duct tape!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't 14 13 inch do something similar awhile back?

Not quite as bad IIRC, but still looked painful.

I did it in a Saturn, I'll see if I can locate the picture. Over a year ago and my finger still doesn't bend properly.

e:found it. The ring finger took the brunt of it, you can see the rib marks on the inside of the finger but the middle finger was torsionally wrenched and I still don't have full movement in it. Oct 2012. Note the slice in the middle finger's joint facing the ring finger.

http://i.imgur.com/eFbJe.jpg

Also exhaust on an Accord

http://i.imgur.com/8vuqD.jpg

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 29, 2013

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

He doesn't wear his ring at work does he?

I guess giving up your finger for love is pretty romantic

The picture I put up was the next morning at the doctor's, but I'm not sure if he wears his ring during work or not. I've asked him not to, I still remember the degloving pictures from my Army motor pool's shop walls...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PainterofCrap posted:

Seconding.

I volunteered to replace the heater core in my sisters '81 Datsun 210 (uh, yeah, this was a while ago).

It sat there above the passenger footwell, looking all innocent & pluckable.

Three hours later, my sister came out to see what was taking so long.

:catstare: :stonk:

...at her car, which now had nothing forward of the front seats except a denuded steering column, pedals, and a windshield.

And the loving heater core.

I just pictured the Nissan plant: here comes this nice, new frame down the line, fresh out of the paint tub.
A lone worker steps up, and affixes the very first part onto the frame.

The loving heater core.

We're pretty sure that's how they build 1st and 2nd-gen RX-7s, too. Damned heater core is in the middle of the dash behind the radio stack. From what I've seen, basically the same location it is on Volvo 240s, and just about as annoying to get to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's where it is on most cars. Gotta pull the dash halfway out and the hvac box completely out on my jeeps, it isn't hard if you know what you are doing.

Annoying because it means draining both the ac and cooling systems if you have to replace either core. Well, you can get away with just clamping off the heater hoses I guess...

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I like where it is on my S10 Blazer. Pull the ECU and some ducting and it practically falls right out into the passenger footwell.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You guys would loving love my Pandas. Open bonnet, unclip the heater box's upper housing from the lower and pull it off, undo the hose clamps and heater valve control cable, pull core out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thelightguy posted:

I like where it is on my S10 Blazer. Pull the ECU and some ducting and it practically falls right out into the passenger footwell.

This, I did mine in a day with little more than a screwdriver and 1/4" socket, and that was WITH breaks.

Otoh, there's a cr-v at my (now former) job that's COMPLETELY torn apart on the inside for a heater core. Dashboard laying on the ground, steering column out, something that looks like a subframe but on the inside removed. Best part is they sent the wrong replacement on Tuesday, meaning the car is not only undrivable but immovable, taking up a lift on Black Friday of all days.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Should've listened to my father.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Slavvy posted:

Should've listened to my father.

How to replace heater core:

Step 1) Locate heater core behind dash panel.

Step 2) Purchase five gallons gasoline.

Step 3) Pour gasoline over and inside vehicle.

Step 4) Proceed to burn vehicle. Be careful doing this, as gasoline is a highly flammable liquid.

Step 5) Use insurance check to purchase new heater core, with new vehicle included.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
2013 Cadillac ATS heater core replacement:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

`Nemesis posted:

Warranty flat rate time ?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
E46 BMW 3 Series

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Knowing the quality of mechanic that works in most dealers, and the squeaks and rattles that come standard with GM products, i can't even imagine how terrible that car will be afterwards.

On the flip side, it will be nice picking one of those up at auction for a grand in 10 years.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

`Nemesis posted:

Seriously, a heater core that only lasts one year?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Powershift posted:

Knowing the quality of mechanic that works in most dealers, and the squeaks and rattles that come standard with GM products, i can't even imagine how terrible that car will be afterwards.

On the flip side, it will be nice picking one of those up at auction for a grand in 10 years.

We I laugh because it hurts so true.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

DefaultPeanut posted:

Back when I was in BMW bike school there was a warranty recall on some of the new S1000RR bikes where someone at the factory forgot to put loc-tite on the con rod bolts. The tech bulletin said BMW would pay the dealers for 7 hours of labor to fix that. A 100% motor teardown and reassemble on one of the more complicated bikes out there.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

DefaultPeanut posted:

Image was lifted from Reddit, but the poster there said book time was 9 hours heh.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I imagine the trouble is that the 9 hours comes from a full team - plus support - working flat out. Like Stakhanov, who cut however many tonnes of coal but his support team wasn't mentioned.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Volvo 240 heater core. While you're in there it's best to replace the blower motor, because if you don't it will fail as soon as you have the dashboard back together, as things do.

An easier alternative to fixing the heater core:

The NBC photo blog said, "It's hard to imagine what led Pascal Prokop to install a wood-burning stove in his 1990 Volvo 240 station wagon."

We know exactly what lead to that.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 30, 2013

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

`Nemesis posted:

The bit that gets me is why is the boot open? Are they just using it to store more junk or does something important live in there?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

The bit that gets me is why is the boot open? Are they just using it to store more junk or does something important live in there?
The battery is in the trunk.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Speaking of which, here's something very easy to locate and replace. The battery on the C5 Audi RS6!

Can you guess where it is? :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well it looks like that box, so knowing VAG it's actually behind that little access hatch on the left, with the terminals on the sheet metal side of the compartment. :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Back when I was in BMW bike school there was a warranty recall on some of the new S1000RR bikes where someone at the factory forgot to put loc-tite on the con rod bolts. The tech bulletin said BMW would pay the dealers for 7 hours of labor to fix that. A 100% motor teardown and reassemble on one of the more complicated bikes out there.

That sounds like pretty typical warranty time bullshit. When I worked for toyota they decided to buy back a bunch of 200 series landcruisers because they were burning oil. Guess who had to take the engine out, change the rings and pistons, reassemble it all and reinstall it in the most cumbersome and complicated vehicle toyota have ever made? And I had to do it under 20 hours.

gently caress you toyota. At least I didn't double the time like the other guy did.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fucknag posted:

Well it looks like that box, so knowing VAG it's actually behind that little access hatch on the left, with the terminals on the sheet metal side of the compartment. :haw:

Surprise!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

At least Volvo learned their lesson, in every car since the 240, the blower motor is under an hour to change, and the heater core under 2 hours. Some guys have done 850 heater cores so many times that they have it down to under a half hour.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
You don't really have to disassemble a 240 quite as far as that picture shows, but it is labor intensive. Mr. Benstein has a nice write up at http://cleanflametrap.com/heater_core/ 240s are kind of like Legos, they can be really easily disassembled and reassembled. I never did a heater core but ended up disassembling the entire dash for various purposes over the years and it's honestly not as bad as it looks. And I didn't have one single dashboard squeak after reassembly in 6 years of driving them while learning the ropes of auto work. Your move, GM.

The URL cleanflametrap in itself is a 240 inside joke. We're weird like that (but still not nearly as weird as Saab people.)

I wish I had like ten 240s and all the time in the world to play with them like Art does.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

I had to figure out why the passenger footwell in my Grand National kept flooding during rainy days. Pulled the whole loving front end off to do this job:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Oh sweet baby Jesus...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh sweet baby Jesus...

Don't worry, it's probably just Top Gear filming their next series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

It's like Vader with his mask removed at the end of Jedi