Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

He played the hell out of that character and did a great job but I just couldn't help but laugh every single time he was on screen, because it was Wayne Brady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoodlesVonSexron
May 1, 2012
I'm living for that moment in Moebius part 2 when Alternate Carter and Daniel try to recruit Alternate Jack and he just gives them the 'a-ok' sign like they're crazy.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Huge Stargate fan from the beginning, and stumbling on this thread reminded me that I somehow never saw the end of Season 5 of Atlantis, despite having seen all of SG1 and the movies. I hope I don't get disappointed too much with an abrupt ending. Sorry to ask, but is it worth giving SG:U a shot? :can: I've always assumed it was a lovely BSG/Voyager clone that disappointed everyone. How many episodes can I watch in order to 'give it a shot'? If you guys tell me that Season 3 picks up and ends on a cliffhanger I'll be preemptively mad and not touch it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
SGU is the best television stargate. Watch both seasons, even if the first season has a really rocky start. Second half of first season shows some promise, second season starts out better, and midway through season 2 everything turns to gold.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

Huge Stargate fan from the beginning, and stumbling on this thread reminded me that I somehow never saw the end of Season 5 of Atlantis, despite having seen all of SG1 and the movies. I hope I don't get disappointed too much with an abrupt ending. Sorry to ask, but is it worth giving SG:U a shot? :can: I've always assumed it was a lovely BSG/Voyager clone that disappointed everyone. How many episodes can I watch in order to 'give it a shot'? If you guys tell me that Season 3 picks up and ends on a cliffhanger I'll be preemptively mad and not touch it.

I personally loved every second of the show from start to finish. However, from an objective standpoint, the show doesn't really start getting good until the second half of season two, after Rush stops being a gigantic asshat and everyone finds Destiny's bridge. It'd definitely a tonal whiplash from SG-1/Atlantis, and I think that's what a lot of people got so pissy about in the beginning (writing problems aside). However, if you take the show for what it is, it really lights up whenever Robert Carlye and Louis Ferreira are on screen together arguing. It never really becomes Stargate, but it does become something worth while... Just in time for SyFy/MGM to cancel it and kill the franchise.

I've probably warded you off from it for good, haven't I?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I've probably warded you off from it for good, haven't I?

Well, I've gotten my interest piqued and I need more sci-fi to watch. I've stuck with worse (Heroes, Caprica) so I'll just recalibrate my expectations and hopefully I won't end up disappointed. Do they manage to reasonably tie up the major storylines by the end of SG:U? Also, I haven't kept up to date with news. Is Stargate completely dead or is there still slim chances of a movie or two? I presume the property will get mothballed until a Star Trek style reboot/revival sometime in the future.

edit: VVV well poo poo :smith:

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 4, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: You should still watch it. It's a cliffhanger but it's a really really good one. I used 'bittersweet' intentionally. :unsmith:

SGU ends on a really bitterwseet cliffhanger. :smith:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 4, 2013

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
What's that one SG:U episode where they use the stones to visit people on earth?
That one was extremely creepy.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Boxturret posted:

What's that one SG:U episode where they use the stones to visit people on earth?

Nearly every episode?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Boxturret posted:

The first time, yes. The second time, meh. The third time, what? The fourth time, COME ON. The fifth, sixth, seventh times... you get the idea.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the one where they see a Janelle Monae concert

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Awia posted:

Nearly every episode?

SGU starts off ricky with something like 4-5 episodes of them just trying not to die on this ship, which isn't that bad of an idea but it is literally the first 5 hours of the show devoted just to this. Then they introduce the stones and overuse them in the mid/second half (probably another 5-6 eps) until Things Happen and they can't really be used more.

IMO once the show moved past those two things it got a lot better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Destiny's bridge design (while clearly Ancient) was pretty awesome.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I meant the one where that one woman goes to see her girlfriend while using the stone.
Because it means that her girlfriend did all this romantic stuff with a random woman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

I meant the one where that one woman goes to see her girlfriend while using the stone.
Because it means that her girlfriend did all this romantic stuff with a random woman.

Yeah, but it's Ming-Na and Reiko Alyesworth, so on the one hand, :heysexy:, but on the other hand, yeah the whole idea of the communication stones is existentially creepy, particularly when Amanda Perry is involved.

WarLocke posted:

SGU starts off ricky with something like 4-5 episodes of them just trying not to die on this ship, which isn't that bad of an idea but it is literally the first 5 hours of the show devoted just to this. Then they introduce the stones and overuse them in the mid/second half (probably another 5-6 eps) until Things Happen and they can't really be used more.

IMO once the show moved past those two things it got a lot better.

I still maintain that "Light" is a fantastic episode on its own. It's just sandwiched in that opening block of "Destiny's hosed, were all gonna die" episodes. There's just this wonderful sense of looming dread throughout it as the ship shuts down more and more systems and drifts ever closer to the star. Plus there's a really cool character moment when Rush is just sitting alone in his room waiting for Destiny to fall into the star and die, and he's reading a book he earlier said was absolutely dreadful,yet he still wanted to know how it ended. He just lets out a defeated sigh and tossed the book against the wall, refusing to finish it before he dies because it just isn't worth it. That's powerful stuff when you think about it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 4, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Rhyno posted:

Destiny's bridge design (while clearly Ancient) was pretty awesome.

Oh god. I almost forgot all about the Ancient design stuff. I miss this show :smith:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ancient design means half the buttons and knobs are self destructs or horrible flesh eating terrors they were trying to use for toothpaste.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

NoodlesVonSexron posted:

I'm living for that moment in Moebius part 2 when Alternate Carter and Daniel try to recruit Alternate Jack and he just gives them the 'a-ok' sign like they're crazy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Boxturret posted:

They did creepy stones/sex stuff multiple times, it was really pretty gross.

Anyway,

Xtanstic posted:

Sorry to ask, but is it worth giving SG:U a shot? :can: I've always assumed it was a lovely BSG/Voyager clone that disappointed everyone. How many episodes can I watch in order to 'give it a shot'?

It was a terrible BSG clone for most or all of season 1 with a few exceptions (the rare episodes that used that spinny ring thingy the show is supposed to be named after). Season 2 picks up a lot though. But yes it does end on a cliffhanger.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

For SGU, hope you like montages set to terrible music at the end of every episode!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Also, and this is critical, don't forget to breathe.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deakul posted:

For SGU, hope you like montages set to terrible music at the end of every episode!

Aw gently caress, this has to be my biggest pet peeve about modern television. I know Grey's Anatomy wasn't the first, but gently caress them for making it acceptable in every loving episode.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Also, and this is critical, don't forget to breathe.

I miss a certain mod probating people over this.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

DrNutt posted:

Aw gently caress, this has to be my biggest pet peeve about modern television. I know Grey's Anatomy wasn't the first, but gently caress them for making it acceptable in every loving episode.

I used to catch the end of House before Fringe. Every loving episode had people hugging to emotional music.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Deakul posted:

Probably better than the musical montages from Sons of Anarchy. :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrNutt posted:

I am pretty sure homicide did it and it was awesome

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Homicide was just awesome, no question. The Shield did it too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Troll Bridgington posted:

Probably better than the musical montages from Sons of Anarchy. :v:

At least those montages are usually pretty awesome and have good music, I'm still not crazy about shows relying on montages at the end of episodes to make up for lost time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I miss a certain mod probating people over this.

Oh lighten up, the show stopped airing how many years ago? It's not like it's every other post like it was then.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bobkatt013 posted:

They can probably be used really effectively but music is a crutch to manipulate emotions and should be done sparingly. Every time I catch the end of Grey's Anatomy it's like *indie song with sensitive male singing hushed lyrics over montage of cast members looking sad OMG THEY'RE SO SAD and don't you feel sad too? LISTEN TO THIS SAD SONG AND FEEL SAD*

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Whenever I see a burst of posts in this thread I always hope that a new series has been announced....

:eng99:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

twoot posted:

Whenever I see a burst of posts in this thread I always hope that a new series has been announced....

:eng99:

:eng99::hf::eng99:

You and me, both.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrNutt posted:

They can probably be used really effectively but music is a crutch to manipulate emotions and should be done sparingly. Every time I catch the end of Grey's Anatomy it's like *indie song with sensitive male singing hushed lyrics over montage of cast members looking sad OMG THEY'RE SO SAD and don't you feel sad too? LISTEN TO THIS SAD SONG AND FEEL SAD*

I love how they handled that on :lost:. They had one of those "this is your future, get used to it" montages of everyone trying to get by on the island in like the second or third episode with that same style of song, only to reveal it was what Hurley was listening to on his CD player... And then the song abruptly cuts out when the CD player runs out of power. I always thought that was a nice touch and was always waiting for it to happen on SG-U... But it never did.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
That's because they found a super advanced charging surface that worked for every kind battery they'd brought with them. :c00lbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One half of SGU's characters are straight out of 200's younger, hipper, SG team... Other than that and the super lame "we want to be BSG" Civvies vs. Military, SGU rules. Rush is the most realistic genius in all of stargate, because unlike Daniel Jackson and Samantha Carter, you don't get to be the top of your field and good at lots of other things AND friendly and well adjusted.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how they handled that on :lost:. They had one of those "this is your future, get used to it" montages of everyone trying to get by on the island in like the second or third episode with that same style of song, only to reveal it was what Hurley was listening to on his CD player... And then the song abruptly cuts out when the CD player runs out of power. I always thought that was a nice touch and was always waiting for it to happen on SG-U... But it never did.

Indeed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Snak posted:

One half of SGU's characters are straight out of 200's younger, hipper, SG team... Other than that and the super lame "we want to be BSG" Civvies vs. Military, SGU rules. Rush is the most realistic genius in all of stargate, because unlike Daniel Jackson and Samantha Carter, you don't get to be the top of your field and good at lots of other things AND friendly and well adjusted.

Wouldn't that make McKay the most realistic genius since he's a huge maladjusted dick?

Or worse Kavanaugh :reject:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wouldn't that make McKay the most realistic genius since he's a huge maladjusted dick?

Or worse Kavanaugh :reject:

McKay, yes. Kavanaugh? gently caress no, you need some sort of demonstrable talent beyond "epic pouting fits" to be considered a genius. The best thing that ever happened with Kavanaugh was Ronon scaring so badly that he disappeared from the series.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

McKay, yes. Kavanaugh? gently caress no, you need some sort of demonstrable talent beyond "epic pouting fits" to be considered a genius. The best thing that ever happened with Kavanaugh was Ronon scaring so badly that he disappeared from the series.

They just never showed how Rodney would steal all of Cavanaugh's ideas, GOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Rush is the most realistic genius in all of stargate, because unlike Daniel Jackson and Samantha Carter, you don't get to be the top of your field and good at lots of other things AND friendly and well adjusted.

I would agree with you except I finally assed myself to binge trough BSG a couple months ago.

They're almost exactly the same loving character. :shepicide: