Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cena will only turn heel if a)the company is hella desperate, b)Cena wants to. It's not bloody likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So let a heel do it.

Edit: in reference to the audience turning in whoever breaks the streak. Didn't realize how far back I was.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cena will only turn heel if a)the company is hella desperate, b)Cena wants to. It's not bloody likely.

I dunno, I could see both of those conditions being met in the next couple of years as Cena's body starts to really go and they realize they haven't made anyone that comes close to the next Cena.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FishBulb posted:

So let a heel do it.

Edit: in reference to the audience turning in whoever breaks the streak. Didn't realize how far back I was.

Damien Sandow will finally get his due!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Gonz posted:

I certainly apologize for posting. I'll avoid it in the future.

That's all we ask.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nick_326 posted:

No idea if there's any truth to this, but I heard that in order to end the streak, three people need to sign off on it: Vince, Undertaker, and whoever is set to beat 'Taker. I also heard that at some point, Vince and 'Taker signed off on having Kane end the streak, but Kane declined.

I remember when this first came up, it was soon declared to be a complete fabrication, but all these years later it still pops up as a thing (like that wrestlers' salaries list).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jerusalem posted:

I remember when this first came up, it was soon declared to be a complete fabrication, but all these years later it still pops up as a thing (like that wrestlers' salaries list).

IF it was indeed true, it can't have been their first match at XIV, because The Streak wasn't a thing yet.

They met again at XX, but even then, I don't think WWF/E had built up The Streak into a recognized accomplishment just yet. It may have been mentioned that UT had never lost at the event, but it wasn't pushed as a driving force for the match. The Streak became a real storyline device the next year, at XXI, when Randy Orton promised to end this 'winning streak' Undertaker had put together. Orton ending it may have held some weight, because Orton was up and coming, had the company behind him, and had the gimmick of Legend Killer. That didn't happen, though, and his match with UT ended up being just okay (with a great ending, however). Kane losing to UT at XX made more sense storyline-wise, since the match was set up by UT returning from being "Buried Alive" anyway. Even if you accept that Kane declined the victory, he was right to do so, as him winning wouldn't have really accomplished anything but extend his feud with UT to another boring UT/Kane match.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flashy_mcflash posted:

I hope at least one of those is replaced by "_______ should do MMA" for 2014.

I deeply treasured the argument that Dan Severn was a better MMA fighter than Brock Lesnar because he had more fights, but that some fat guy with no martial arts training could easily beat either, and would love to see it recapitulated on a more regular basis.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Red posted:

IF it was indeed true, it can't have been their first match at XIV, because The Streak wasn't a thing yet.

They met again at XX, but even then, I don't think WWF/E had built up The Streak into a recognized accomplishment just yet.

The rumor was that one year, the WWE had intended for Kane to defeat The Undertaker to end the streak. Since Kane objected, they instead fed somebody else to Undertaker that year, and are continuing to push his winning streak for some sort of bigger payoff further down the line.

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
I missed out on a few years of WWE, and am attempting to sort of review what I missed by watching the Big Four from 2003-2010. Are there any stand-out events that I should be watching in addition to these?

Also, having watched Royal Rumble 2003 (The Night of the Belly-to-Belly), I had another question - has there ever been a Rumble where all of the contestants had been eliminated before the next person came out?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sprint posted:

I missed out on a few years of WWE, and am attempting to sort of review what I missed by watching the Big Four from 2003-2010. Are there any stand-out events that I should be watching in addition to these?

Also, having watched Royal Rumble 2003 (The Night of the Belly-to-Belly), I had another question - has there ever been a Rumble where all of the contestants had been eliminated before the next person came out?

Don't miss Money in the Bank 2011, something pretty amazing happens.

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Don't miss Money in the Bank 2011, something pretty amazing happens.

That was the event that got me back into watching (well, actually the pipebomb). Once I heard that Punk was actually being given a serious run, my head exploded and I kept watching to see what would they would do with Punk and Bryan. It has been...disappointing. After that, I just kept seeing stuff like Bradshaw and Jamal were main eventers and John Cena was the top guy somehow, so I kinda wanted to see how all that stuff went down.

Sprint fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 5, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sprint posted:

December To Dismember 06
No Way Out 04
Judgment Day 04 and 05
Vengeance 07

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sprint posted:

No Mercy 2008 is an excellent show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sprint posted:

That was the event that got me back into watching (well, actually the pipebomb). Once I heard that Punk was actually being given a serious run, my head exploded and I kept watching to see what would they would do with Punk and Bryan. It has been...disappointing. After that, I just kept seeing stuff like Bradshaw and Jamal were main eventers and John Cena was the top guy somehow, so I kinda wanted to see how all that stuff went down.

Yeah it didn't turn out the way people might have liked, but it's still a pretty pivotal and exciting "moment" in WWE history, and definitely worth seeing and enjoying (which you obviously already have).

Also make sure you check out New Year's Revolution from 2006. It's not a great show and the main event was pretty disappointing and frustrating but holy poo poo what happens at the end is still a loving incredible moment.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I Before E posted:

December To Dismember 06

What did he ever do to you?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

No Mercy 2008 is an excellent show.

Oh yeah, and No Mercy 2007 also had the pretty great Last Man Standing match between Orton and Triple H, even if how they got to that point in the show was pretty :psyduck:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

December To Dismember 06

This is the worst thing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What did he ever do to you?

At the very least, it is historically important.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sprint posted:

I don't think there's a point where everyone is eliminated but the 2011 Royal Rumble is, I think, the best booked Rumble of the last ~15 years in that it goes through a number of phases where certain factions rule the ring and team up to eliminate people as soon as they enter. Even the Cena/Hornswoggle team is effective comedy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's an odd question…

Are the championships belt made differently these days? Perhaps more delicately? I've seen guys win titles and they hold them over their heads while they're still buckled. Or even when they're bringing titles to the ring with them, they're often over their shoulders already buckled. I just think it looks weird. It seems as though everyone is afraid of unbuckling the belt and actually holding it up or over their shoulder like a strap anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Here's an odd question…

Are the championships belt made differently these days? Perhaps more delicately? I've seen guys win titles and they hold them over their heads while they're still buckled. Or even when they're bringing titles to the ring with them, they're often over their shoulders already buckled. I just think it looks weird. It seems as though everyone is afraid of unbuckling the belt and actually holding it up or over their shoulder like a strap anymore.

No, the same belt maker they've used for years makes most of their belts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Then is there some other reason that anyone could figure out why nobody unbuckles the belts anymore? It's as if the straps are glued together.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Maybe it's Vince being insane again, like when he decided no one could call them belts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

When he was on Figure Four Daily, he said that the belts now are a lot more intricately designed, and therefore more fragile, so that might have something to do with it.

He recommended against the new design, 'cause the diamonds are always falling out and shifting. So there's an action belt, which is used for belt bumps, and a hero belt, for close-ups. (At least I think that's what he said.)

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Survey derail/update: I've been super busy with work, and I haven't had much free time to put toward the wrestling survey. I still plan to get to it, but if anyone wants to take a look at the data before "eventually" I'd be happy to turn it over. Sorry to everyone who's been looking forward to the results.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

When he was on Figure Four Daily, he said that the belts now are a lot more intricately designed, and therefore more fragile, so that might have something to do with it.

He recommended against the new design, 'cause the diamonds are always falling out and shifting. So there's an action belt, which is used for belt bumps, and a hero belt, for close-ups. (At least I think that's what he said.)

He said the new WWE title is more delicate, mostly because so much of it is milled out, but that wouldn't have anything to do with keeping it buckled, more using it as a weapon. Milling out that much material leaves it prone to warping, so it's not as good to use as a weapon. It doesn't sound like there were any changes to how the belts were made, just in this one design. The other ones shouldn't have any issues. It's not like UFC where they are now getting belts from China.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 5, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I'd add in New Year's Revolution and Vengeance from 2005 as the two bookends of the big Batista run, which were also the best matches and the former of which contains one of my favorite JR calls, and the first two One Night Stands are pretty good (although for the first you really need to find the PPV broadcast because the DVD has Enter Sandman pulled out).

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

So, I can extrapolate how American pro-wrestling is descended from the old traveling carnival shows from the turn of last century. Anyone know how and why it spread to Japan?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Superstring posted:

So, I can extrapolate how American pro-wrestling is descended from the old traveling carnival shows from the turn of last century. Anyone know how and why it spread to Japan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikid%C5%8Dzan

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Right around the turn of the century, a guy named Edward Barton-Wright returned from to England from Japan, where he'd spent a few years working as an engineer and studying jujutsu as a hobby. He founded a "Bartitsu" school and brought some Japanese grapplers to London to teach and to compete in spectator matches. One of them, Miyake, would go on to become a pro wrestler in his own right. He wrestled Ed Lewis and Jim Londos, among others. (I don't know if all his American matches were worked, but unless he had a huge physical disadvantage, I can't see him losing to Londos, who was not a shooter compared to men like Lewis.) Judo was established in England in the early 20s, and Japanese martial artists took an interest in Barton-Wright and his associates.

That being said, the cultural influence of jujutsu on catch wrestling was mostly a one-way street for a long time. Professional wrestling didn't catch on in Japan until after WWII. Rikidozan debuted in 1951, the same year Barton-Wright died.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So in light of the Sin Cara deal, are there any instances of replacing a guy in a gimmick like that and having it work or having the guy actually go on to bigger success using that gimmick over the original?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Suben posted:

So in light of the Sin Cara deal, are there any instances of replacing a guy in a gimmick like that and having it work or having the guy actually go on to bigger success using that gimmick over the original?

Demolition Smash

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Suben posted:

Well. Technically, the 2nd Max Moon did more than the original.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sprint posted:

The closest would be Royal Rumble 1999. Austin chases McMahon out of the ring and neither is eliminated, but the ring is completely cleared. The ring fills up and Kane clears it before being chased off by men in white coats. The ring fills up again and Mabel clears it before being kidnapped by the Ministry. So it sort of happened, except Austin and McMahon were still part of the match.

2002 almost counts too, just for Maven eliminating Undertaker and Undertaker murdering him to the point that he couldn't compete in the match anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

2002 almost counts too, just for Maven eliminating Undertaker and Undertaker murdering him to the point that he couldn't compete in the match anymore.

And before anybody says anything, Jericho acknowledged Maven hadn't been eliminated the next night and gave him a title shot.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

epitasis posted:

I don't think there's a point where everyone is eliminated but the 2011 Royal Rumble is, I think, the best booked Rumble of the last ~15 years in that it goes through a number of phases where certain factions rule the ring and team up to eliminate people as soon as they enter. Even the Cena/Hornswoggle team is effective comedy.

2011 is nearly unwatchable thanks to the commentary.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2011 is nearly unwatchable thanks to the commentary.

I like that you didn't include "Royal Rumble" in your post because it's still true.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Jerusalem posted:

And before anybody says anything, Jericho acknowledged Maven hadn't been eliminated the next night and gave him a title shot.

Poor Spike Dudley didn't even get that. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
A different and obviously different guy playing Sin Cara every week would be pretty amusing.