Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

I just watched the pilot of AHS the other day and holy poo poo I need to watch it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you haven't been watching South Park, they just wrapped up a trilogy of Black Friday/Game of Thrones parody episodes. Not quite as good as Imagineland was, but still quite good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
AHS Coven is as much of a feat of television artistry as the last two seasons, but unlike Asylum, which started off as a tight rope that frayed towards the end, Coven's frays were all in the beginning. The rope is tightening.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Friends, do you enjoy the game of Mafia? Are too much of a social pariah to be invited to all the parties that the cool, with-it kids go to when they want to play Mafia? Has your inability to choose your battles when it comes to politics, video games, gender issues, gender issues in video games, sports, religion, and/or other ephemera lead to your banning from all the popular Mafia message boards?

Well, there's hope: now you can have all the fun of Mafia by watching a celebrity panel play it instead... if it makes it past the pilot.

Your host is Ryan Ridley, with Willy "Gregor" Roberts as the game master. Produced by David Seger, Tom Kauffman, and Paul Isakson. The players are Steve Agee, Luke Barats, Eric Bauza, Aaron Bleyaert, Dominic Dierkes, Mia Matsumiya, Randall Park, Andy Peters, Jennie Pierson, and Jonah Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_8dQoF4ixQ

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Celebrity panel, huh? Because I have no idea who any of those people are.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

lelandjs posted:

If you haven't been watching South Park, they just wrapped up a trilogy of Black Friday/Game of Thrones parody episodes. Not quite as good as Imagineland was, but still quite good.

For a show with the stigma that it has, South Park is oddly, good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

It's funny that they invented the "manatees putting idea balls into slots" burn for Family Guy because every South Park episode I've heard of since I stopped watching it back in '06 (and a lot before that) reads like a random mash-up between some piece of pop-culture and sociopolitical issue.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's funny that they invented the "manatees putting idea balls into slots" burn for Family Guy because every South Park episode I've heard of since I stopped watching it back in '06 (and a lot before that) reads like a random mash-up between some piece of pop-culture and sociopolitical issue.

It's really hard to make out, but there was ever the slightest hint of self deprecation during that episode.

:ssh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whizbang posted:

Celebrity panel, huh? Because I have no idea who any of those people are.

Steve Agee is a super funny alternative comedian and writer for sitcoms. He usually does acting as bit parts in tv sitcoms.

Dominic Dierkes is a pretty funny former member of youtube sketch comedy group Derrick Comedy. He's done screenwriting and bit parts in sitcoms as well.

Aaron Bleyart is like the community manager for Conan or something, I'm not exactly sure what his title is on Conan besides staff writer but he does a lot of public interface and community interaction and he's at this point probably the most public face for Conaco besides, well, the man himself. He's super nice, funny, a big rear end nerd and very charming.

Jonah Ray is a co-host on the Nerdist Podcast and like a billion other Nerdist things. He's most famously the main representative for bing in a bunch of their commercials, which makes complete sense since he's bothersome, unnecessary, annoying, and is constantly shoved down our throats.

Everyone else I have no idea who or what they are.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wil Wheaton has a similar show on his Youtube channel except he gets actual celebrities sometimes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there a comedian thread? Netflix has all these comedy features and I just loving love stand up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
RGD has a stand-up thread. I also see stand-up specials talked about sometimes in the CD Netflix thread.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Austrian mook posted:

Is there a comedian thread? Netflix has all these comedy features and I just loving love stand up.

Don't bother. Watch Stewart Lee, then never be able to stomach a lesser comedian again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If anyone stopped watching Misfits after they got rid of the original cast then stop being an idiot and go check out the final 2 seasons. It takes a couple of episodes for the new cast to click but there's so many great episodes there that totally stand up to the original crew.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Finally getting caught up on stuff, I thought the Red John reveal on The Mentalist was excellent. Both actors killed it that episode. I think the thread went into the archives so I'll just ask here. This question doesn't reveal the identity for anyone who hasn't seen it yet but I'll spoil it just in case - What was he trying to say at the end there about how he found the suspect list? It sounded like "I'm really psychic" which is absurd so wouldn't that suggest someone in Janes inner circle helped him?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Occupation posted:

Jonah Ray is a co-host on the Nerdist Podcast and like a billion other Nerdist things. He's most famously the main representative for bing in a bunch of their commercials, which makes complete sense since he's bothersome, unnecessary, annoying, and is constantly shoved down our throats.

This is an Irish Joe-level wrong opinion, fyi. Jonah Ray owns.

Mu Zeta posted:

Wil Wheaton has a similar show on his Youtube channel except he gets actual celebrities sometimes.

For those who are curious, here's a link to Wil Wheaton's show. Some particular standout episodes are The Resistance, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin, Say Anything (featuring the same Jonah Ray that Occupation has Irish Joe-level wrong opinions about), Star Fluxx, and Star Trek Cataan.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Even that very episode consisted of a bunch of movie and pop culture references that easily rival any given Family Guy episode. I don't know why people still consider that a "smart" show when anything it has resembling a message has been some half-baked lolbertarian garbage for years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I watched the first few Tomorrow People episodes but it was just blah, so I was wondering where the quality is now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Even that very episode consisted of a bunch of movie and pop culture references that easily rival any given Family Guy episode. I don't know why people still consider that a "smart" show when anything it has resembling a message has been some half-baked lolbertarian garbage for years.

Yeah, the episode a few weeks ago mocking Obamacare is a good example of that. "We knew Obamacare wasn't going to work even though we waited until it failed in some regard to say so." :smuggo:

Mister Mackey sobbing in the cafeteria still got a good laugh out of me though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is neat, it's the complete set of the I Love Lucy show:

I still kinda can't believe you couldn't show a married couple sleeping in the same bed for so long.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, the episode a few weeks ago mocking Obamacare is a good example of that. "We knew Obamacare wasn't going to work even though we waited until it failed in some regard to say so." :smuggo:

That's a dumb spin to put on it, considering it was just mocking the website debacle and not the concept of Obamacare itself.

You might as well be attributing the same motivations to The Daily Show or various late-night hosts for mocking the website issues.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Gunslinger posted:

Finally getting caught up on stuff, I thought the Red John reveal on The Mentalist was excellent. Both actors killed it that episode. I think the thread went into the archives so I'll just ask here. This question doesn't reveal the identity for anyone who hasn't seen it yet but I'll spoil it just in case - What was he trying to say at the end there about how he found the suspect list? It sounded like "I'm really psychic" which is absurd so wouldn't that suggest someone in Janes inner circle helped him?

I don't think it could have been someone in Jane's inner circle who told Red John, simply because Jane formulated his list inside his head and didn't reveal his suspects until he handed Lisbon the photos as the DVD of Lorelai Martin reading out the same names. None of Jane's friends knew the list until after it was revealed that Red John already knew it.

And it's unlikely that they snuck into Jane's attic to read it either, because the information he was keeping on the board in the attic was apparently fake, because the Homeland Security guy snuck in there to steal it and started killing the fake list of suspects.

zoux posted:

So I watched the first few Tomorrow People episodes but it was just blah, so I was wondering where the quality is now.

About as bad or worse. I stopped watching after the previous episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

The quality has been kind of up and down but last night's episode decided to drop a couple of big plot bombshells. Namely that Stephen's father really is dead and John (the leader of the Tomorrow People) knew that all along, because he killed him on Ultra's orders. Although Stephen's father is somehow still around like some kind of ghost.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm twenty minutes into the first episode of Mob City and my god this is dreck. Poorly choreographed action scenes, clichés left and right, and dialogue that is just dogshit.

The direction makes it feels like something made twenty years ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Robbie sure is no Stephen...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
And yeah, Tomorrow People is pretty much unwatchably dumb dross, at least for the first few episodes.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Question because I don't watch shows like this, why are some talent* shows more popular than others?
Like DWTS I get because it's celebrities dancing and what not. But why is The Voice more popular than X-Factor? Is it the night it's on, or the team of judges? This also applies to others like AI or AGT.

*talent being mostly singing, with the exception of recent AGT seasons

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Postal Parcel posted:

Question because I don't watch shows like this, why are some talent* shows more popular than others?
Like DWTS I get because it's celebrities dancing and what not. But why is The Voice more popular than X-Factor? Is it the night it's on, or the team of judges? This also applies to others like AI or AGT.

Differences in format, differences in the judging panel, nights they're on... It can be any number of things and is most likely a combination of a bunch of things.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Postal Parcel posted:

The Voice in particular picked up steam by not being another Simon Cowell retread, with a different format and popular current music stars.

But it's not really that AI in particular is doing that bad. Its total viewers are half of what they used to be several seasons ago but still equivalent to what The Voice pulls in -- the last season finale of AI had 3.6 in the demo and 14.31 overall versus The Voice's last season finale pulling 3.4 in the demo and 12.14 overall.

For reference, AGT's last season finale got 2.5/11.34. So it's really just "Why is the X-Factor doing so badly?" and also "Why is the X-Factor doing so much worse than it did even last season, on the same nights in same timeslot?" and that's more difficult to determine. I don't watch it so I can't say.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think it could have been someone in Jane's inner circle who told Red John, simply because Jane formulated his list inside his head and didn't reveal his suspects until he handed Lisbon the photos as the DVD of Lorelai Martin reading out the same names. None of Jane's friends knew the list until after it was revealed that Red John already knew it.

And it's unlikely that they snuck into Jane's attic to read it either, because the information he was keeping on the board in the attic was apparently fake, because the Homeland Security guy snuck in there to steal it and started killing the fake list of suspects.

What's the alternative though? He was really psychic? Ironic thing to say in the context of that scene :) I guess maybe he was just trying to mess with Janes head.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, question. With NBC's neverending nosedive into failure and the CW's strong brand association to its target demographic, could the CW ever overtake NBC as #4 network?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Ok, question. With NBC's neverending nosedive into failure and the CW's strong brand association to its target demographic, could the CW ever overtake NBC as #4 network?

Isn't Univision closer to doing that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's why we're never getting ala carte cable packages.

quote:

"Our calculations conclude that $80 billion to $113 billion of U.S. consumer value would be destroyed by this shrinking channel choice," Martin wrote in her report, released Wednesday.

She determined that the economic costs would be enormous because so many smaller channels would disappear -- at least 124 channels -- wiping out an estimated 1.4 million jobs in media.

Martin figured that at least $45 billion in TV advertising would be at risk.

The Needham report estimates that it costs media companies an average of $280 million annually to run an entertainment cable channel. (The costs to program a sports channel -- with big-ticket sports -- are much higher).

That means a channel requires at least 165,000 viewers over the course of a year to break even.

"By implication, about 56 channels would survive, and 124 channels would disappear, based on 2012 viewing levels," Martin wrote

Obviously I don't know anything about her methodology but every TV exec reading this is going to take it as gospel.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Overall, maybe if NBC lost both football and The Voice. NBC's definitely dipping below CW's ceiling with several shows now. (The 'problem' with that, for the CW, is that only 2-3 shows are capable of actually reaching that ceiling right now.)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Rarity posted:

Arrow, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, and The Originals(kind of). Those are all of CWs shows that get a 1.0 or above. People would have to stop watching NBC in droves, and even then, that's just four shows. The two new series, Reign and Tomorrow People, hover around +-.6, while everything else(AMNT excluded) is about a .3. The CW will probably never overtake one of the networks completely, but it could take a night or two.

At this point in time, one of those nights is Thursday, but other days *might* happen, but it's highly unlikely.

Remember, even though CW does well for its demo, it's still super-targeted and barely reaches out from it. I mean, last year or so, it was really just the "Pretty, rich, and young white people" channel. That just doesn't have broad appeal necessary for takeover.

e:For ratings reference, the lowest NBC has gotten this season is a .9 I believe, for both the MJF Show, and SSTW, with P&R ahead at a 1. Almost all other show at least get a 1.4+ That should tell you the ocean the CW would have to cross to beat them.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 5, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Postal Parcel posted:

Like DWTS I get because it's celebrities dancing and what not. But why is The Voice more popular than X-Factor?

Because Cee-Lo is loving awesome. I hate most of the singers but I still occasionally watch that drat show.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I just found out a friend of mine worked on tonight's Sound of Music Live show... I have to somewhat mute my thoughts about it on Facebook now... I love that show, and was in it in high school (Rolfe) - but this thing looks like a train wreck.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

What's the alternative though? He was really psychic? Ironic thing to say in the context of that scene :) I guess maybe he was just trying to mess with Janes head.

The alternative is that it doesn't matter because Jane is murder you. And he did.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I just found out a friend of mine worked on tonight's Sound of Music Live show... I have to somewhat mute my thoughts about it on Facebook now... I love that show, and was in it in high school (Rolfe) - but this thing looks like a train wreck.

I'm so glad you posted this because I need to set my DVR (I know, that defeats the purpose). :neckbeard: Who doesn't want to watch BEEL from True Blood sing and dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Rarity posted:

If anyone stopped watching Misfits after they got rid of the original cast then stop being an idiot and go check out the final 2 seasons. It takes a couple of episodes for the new cast to click but there's so many great episodes there that totally stand up to the original crew.

I almost agree with this. Every episode of season five has been a delight. Hilarious, charming, really hosed up in that way Misfits is.

However, I can really only think of two episodes in season four that aren't mind numbingly boring. I couldn't even be arsed to care when they killed off Curtis.

Is it worth the slog for the gems we get this season? Probably, I mean it's only like 8 episodes, and they do lay ground work that's pretty important character wise..I guess. But this season is worlds better. Worlds and worlds and worlds better. The characters feel like they all have something to do (or even agency) at this point, and it's nice.

• Locked thread