Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

Though, it sort of sounds like from you're description that you're thinking of getting two SSDs, this wouldn't be a very good idea, use a single larger SSD for everything.

Could you elaborate on this? I have an Intel 320 120GB that I was planning on using strictly as a boot drive and putting all my apps on the 1TB EVO that's currently en route, you are saying it's best to just replace the 320 with the EVO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Anti-Hero posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I have an Intel 320 120GB that I was planning on using strictly as a boot drive and putting all my apps on the 1TB EVO that's currently en route, you are saying it's best to just replace the 320 with the EVO?
Yes, there's no good reason to not accept the huge performance improvement from the Samsung 840 Evo.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
A second Mushkin 240GB has gone bad on me (out of a batch of 6 purchased recently).

The replacement drive was again running 5.2.2 firmware (when 5.0.7 is the latest they have on their site).

This one did not "die" like the last (where the system could not detect it), it just started developing a lot of bad sectors. During a clone, the system gave a bunch of read errors. SMART listed 9 reallocated sectors (with a threshold of 3). Windows marked them as bad sectors on the file system.

I ran DBAN on the drive (not to wipe data, but to reign hell on all the cells and stress them). After that it was up to 11 reallocated sectors. I wasn't going to trust it with data.

Amazon is amazing with RMAs. I got a next-day replacement (in my hand just 11 hours after filing the RMA) and they pay for return shipping for the bad drive.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

Yes, there's no good reason to not accept the huge performance improvement from the Samsung 840 Evo.

Holy gently caress balls. I did not realize it was such an extreme gap in performance between the two. This is an easy decision.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Alereon posted:

Did you see this behavior within the last year or so on a clean profile? That definitely doesn't seem like how Firefox should work.
It was probably ~summer 2011, if they've specifically addressed it in recent versions. I mean if you're assuming everyone has a spinning drive then it kinda makes sense to just spam write session data whenever nothing is going on, not going to harm anything really. Also explained why after running for several days, FF would more or less freeze up (scrolling would be interrupted, etc) a few times a minute for no apparent reason.

Either way, point was just that I was also a little wary of anything writing excessively to my SSD when I first started using them, and the solution is just to watch resource manager for a little while and see if anything sticks out, otherwise there isn't really any reason to worry.

Lemon Tree
Aug 13, 2012

"This reminds me of the time my brother fell down the well. I did not lower the bucket for to save his life, for who am I to stand in the path of the Reaper. I stood there, and I watched."
So bare with me here, I'm a tad bit confused with the endurance of a SSD. My plan so far is to get a 250Gb Samsung EVO so that I can put my operating system (Win.8) on it and maybe a game or two, just the ones I want to load faster. I realize that I have to keep 20% of the drive free, so I'm getting a 1TB drive to host the rest of my games. After talking with a few people though, and reading OP's post, from what I understand it would be better to go with a 120GB EVO and just put the operating system on it. The constant reading from the SSD while playing certain games (and from what I understand, open world games like Fallout and Skyrim would be the biggest culprits) will have a pretty negative impact on the life of my drive.

I guess what I am asking boils down to is it worth getting a bigger SSD (250gb) it to put a few games on a SSD or get a smaller SSD and save it primarily for operating system?

A follow up to that would be between the EVO and Pro, and if the Pro would make running games off of the SSD more viable, that is of course if I am understanding what is going on with SSDs correctly.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lemon Tree posted:

So bare with me here, I'm a tad bit confused with the endurance of a SSD. My plan so far is to get a 250Gb Samsung EVO so that I can put my operating system (Win.8) on it and maybe a game or two, just the ones I want to load faster. I realize that I have to keep 20% of the drive free, so I'm getting a 1TB drive to host the rest of my games. After talking with a few people though, and reading OP's post, from what I understand it would be better to go with a 120GB EVO and just put the operating system on it. The constant reading from the SSD while playing certain games (and from what I understand, open world games like Fallout and Skyrim would be the biggest culprits) will have a pretty negative impact on the life of my drive.

I guess what I am asking boils down to is it worth getting a bigger SSD (250gb) it to put a few games on a SSD or get a smaller SSD and save it primarily for operating system?

A follow up to that would be between the EVO and Pro, and if the Pro would make running games off of the SSD more viable, that is of course if I am understanding what is going on with SSDs correctly.

Reading doesn't count. Writing is what degrades flash memory.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lemon Tree posted:

You're worrying about nothing. The only way you or any other run of the mill gamer will ever ever ever have to worry about SSD lifespans is if you were hosting a very write heavy database load on one. Which no one at all in here is generally doing.

Also as the previous posters mentioned, when SSDs have reached the limit of their P/E cycles they still remain readable. They just can't write new data anymore.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

echo465 posted:

Fourth one in the thread to die of the same symptoms. How old was the drive?

Bought it in January, and have used it continually since. So ~11 months.
No idea what firmware version it was.

edit:
I agree that nobody should read too much into it. I bought it because it was the cheapest drive at the time rated "not garbage" by the thread with some rebates. And I never checked into the thread to post that it was working fine, only when it failed. :shrug:

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 6, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Straker posted:

It was probably ~summer 2011, if they've specifically addressed it in recent versions. I mean if you're assuming everyone has a spinning drive then it kinda makes sense to just spam write session data whenever nothing is going on, not going to harm anything really. Also explained why after running for several days, FF would more or less freeze up (scrolling would be interrupted, etc) a few times a minute for no apparent reason.
Reducing disk I/O has been one of the main priorities for the Firefox team over the last couple years, it was the next big push after memory usage. This was for primarily for performance reasons, Firefox was pretty janky on slow storage devices like SD cards or full laptop HDDs and suffered very badly if operations didn't complete quickly and in-order. They also fixed some bugs that could cause the creation of excessively large files or excessive file counts. I don't think you'd see similar behavior today.

Lemon Tree
Aug 13, 2012

"This reminds me of the time my brother fell down the well. I did not lower the bucket for to save his life, for who am I to stand in the path of the Reaper. I stood there, and I watched."

DNova posted:

Reading doesn't count. Writing is what degrades flash memory.

Gwaihir posted:

You're worrying about nothing. The only way you or any other run of the mill gamer will ever ever ever have to worry about SSD lifespans is if you were hosting a very write heavy database load on one. Which no one at all in here is generally doing.

Also as the previous posters mentioned, when SSDs have reached the limit of their P/E cycles they still remain readable. They just can't write new data anymore.

Ah, so I was vastly mistaken. Thanks for the clarification.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

TIL that the "spacer" that the sandisk extreme is advertised to come with isn't a 2.5"->3" bracket :saddowns:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kaschei posted:

TIL that the "spacer" that the sandisk extreme is advertised to come with isn't a 2.5"->3" bracket :saddowns:

It's a 7mm to 9.5mm spacer, right?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Yeah but I'm so out-of-the-loop with hardware I didn't know such things existed so I never thought to question my assumption. Why are there multiple form factors for tiny tiny harddrives?

I guess I'm going to order the cheapest bracket on Newegg unless someone wants to tell me that it's awful?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

kaschei posted:

Yeah but I'm so out-of-the-loop with hardware I didn't know such things existed so I never thought to question my assumption. Why are there multiple form factors for tiny tiny harddrives?

Standardized mounting for 2.5" wide drives, followed by different needs for the drives themselves. Servers get 12.5mm tall drives for higher space and increased heat capacity to handle high spindle speeds (like 15,000 RPM). As laptops got so thin that a standard 9.5mm tall drive became a limiting factor, they introduced 7mm drives. Previously, there were 1.8"/7mm drives, but these were far too slow; bigger platters in the drive perform better. Now the ultra-small market is served by SSDs, but there's still a need for hard drives that fit in different size laptops, and 9.5mm drives still exist because they can hit speeds and capacities that 7mm drives cannot..

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh right. So I bought a 240GB Crucial M500 SSD in the Amazon Black Friday week and only now I find this thread saying don't buy Crucial.

Looks like I'm going to send it back and grab a 500GB Samsung 840 EVO instead then.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 7, 2013

Isko
May 20, 2008
So today when I got back from a trip and used my computer it kept locking up and acting funny. Now when I boot up it doesn't even detect my SSD. I tried checking the wires to it and even plugged it into a different SATA port on my motherboard but nothing fixed it. I tried letting my computer sit on the BIOS screen for over 20 minutes and nothing changed either when I let it boot up. Is there any way for me to figure out if it is dead? It's a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe that I got back in July.

Isko fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 8, 2013

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Try it in a USB caddy and reading the contents in another windows install

Isko
May 20, 2008

dud root posted:

Try it in a USB caddy and reading the contents in another windows install

All right. I'll have to get one and try to read it on my laptop.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
New Samsung 250GB EVO firmware and Samsung Magician available.
Was: EXT0BB0Q
Now: EXT0BB6Q

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Just updated my 500gb evo and I'm pretty sure it bricked my system. With the ssd unplugged my video card outputs test tone type images the moment the PC is powered on. Getting stuck on a boot debug led code which isn't referenced in the mobo manual

Do you have a link to the firmware notes? It's like it wrote to the video card firmware (nvidia gtx780)

edit: resolved now, may have posted in haste but I've never seen that issue before. Fixed with a bios reset, but I'm not convinced it was a coincidence

dud root fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 9, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

voltron posted:

New Samsung 250GB EVO firmware and Samsung Magician available.
Was: EXT0BB0Q
Now: EXT0BB6Q
They're available here, it improves TurboWrite (likely improving performance) and support for advanced hardware encryption, including TCG Opal and Microsoft eDrive.

Anandtech has more details here, they also released RAPID mode for the Samsung 840 Pro (removing the 840 Evos desktop performance advantage) and an mSATA version of the Samsung 840 EVO with capacity up to 1TB, a record.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I ordered my first SSD (240GB 840 Evo) during this years black friday and it should arrive this week. I'm currently using a 500GB HDD that is practically full and when my SSD comes in I want to copy over some of the stuff on it so I can do a fresh format. After I format the HDD, I'll transfer the stuff back to it from the SSD.

My question: after I transfer the files I want back to the HDD from its temporary home on the SSD, is there anything I need to do to make sure all that temp data is off the SSD completely and performance hasn't been effected? Or will TRIM take care of this for me on its own?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's exactly what trim is for, yea.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alereon posted:

They're available here, it improves TurboWrite (likely improving performance) and support for advanced hardware encryption, including TCG Opal and Microsoft eDrive.

Anandtech has more details here, they also released RAPID mode for the Samsung 840 Pro (removing the 840 Evos desktop performance advantage) and an mSATA version of the Samsung 840 EVO with capacity up to 1TB, a record.

Well RAPID mode on the 840 Pro is just ridiculous, the sequential read/write test are over 850 MB/s for me now, up from the 550ish MB/s I had before RAPID was on.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just to make sure, i can turn RAPID on and off on a dime (or rather a reboot) right? I guess the 2 GB ram are just allocated constantly and not dynamic as requested?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just to make sure, i can turn RAPID on and off on a dime (or rather a reboot) right? I guess the 2 GB ram are just allocated constantly and not dynamic as requested?

Yeah you can just enable/disable it in the Samsung Magician software (requires a reboot). I don't see anything running on my system using a full 2 GB of ram anywhere so maybe it's dynamic? I'm honestly not sure but neither the rapid mode service or the rapid mode notification utility are using more than about 1.1 megabyte of ram right now and they're the only obvious rapid mode things on my process list.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I actually checked the description and the memory consumption shows up as "non paged" memory use, seems to hover around 1.3 GB for me. Still, getting a 3x benchmark speed-up on SATA-3 is nice, i'll have to see if giving up the RAM is worth it for my use cases.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 10, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
RAPID mode allocates a maximum of 1GB or 1/8 system RAM, whichever is smaller.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Alereon posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong, i know it's my fault for trying this stuff on a laptop maxing out at 8 GB where that allocation even matters, for everything else it seems like a no-brainer. :) Pretty stoked to have the option now!

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

New 840 Evo 250GB owner here. The latest firmware seems fine. However, I am slightly confused about this:

Do I understand correctly that if I click Activate, it deactivates Prefetch/Superfetch?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Alereon posted:

So I can sustain 850MB/s write speed for a 1.2 whole seconds?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bourbon posted:

Do I understand correctly that if I click Activate, it deactivates Prefetch/Superfetch?
Right. Do not use any of the OS Optimization features, they are pretty much all just bad setting changes. This is mentioned in the OP.

Edit: haha, I was pretty sure that I'd confirmed before that clicking the "Activate" button on the tweak deactivates Prefetch/Superfetch, but now I'm doubting myself again. I wonder if the documentation is specific?

td4guy posted:

So I can sustain 850MB/s write speed for a 1.2 whole seconds?
That's correct, it's not meant to absorb large writes, just small ones over a short period to improve efficiency.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 10, 2013

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Alereon posted:

Right. Do not use any of the OS Optimization features, they are pretty much all just bad setting changes. This is mentioned in the OP.
That's correct, it's not meant to absorb large writes, just small ones over a short period to improve efficiency.

Ah hell. Could someone share the "default" settings for that OS Optimization Advanced tab? Now I can't remember what I've clicked (Indexing Service/Search, Prefetch/Superfetch, Write Cache Buffer, Write-Cache Buffer Flushing).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Alereon posted:

Does this mean that an 840 pro is now noticeably faster across the board than an EVO? It's a little annoying that the pro doesn't come in 1TB, but I suppose I can get 2.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I just got my 840 EVO that I got to replace my old C300. What is the best way to copy over the contents of the C300 over to the 840 EVO? This machine is my Windows 7 box.

Can I just do some kind of xcopy and copy the contents 1-to-1 or do I have to do something different?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Strong Sauce posted:

I just got my 840 EVO that I got to replace my old C300. What is the best way to copy over the contents of the C300 over to the 840 EVO? This machine is my Windows 7 box.

Can I just do some kind of xcopy and copy the contents 1-to-1 or do I have to do something different?

You'll want to use imaging software. I use GParted and CloneZilla a lot but they're live boot discs, I've heard goons suggest http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx often.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

drat, you guys weren't kidding about RAPID mode improving performance! Here's the before and after for my 512GB Samsung 840 Pro.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Do unopened/unused SSDs have a shelf life? I bought a 250GB Samsung EVO when it was on sale for $119 and was going to put it in my current PC, but I'm debating on building a new one for myself in a couple months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

teagone posted:

Do unopened/unused SSDs have a shelf life? I bought a 250GB Samsung EVO when it was on sale for $119 and was going to put it in my current PC, but I'm debating on building a new one for myself in a couple months or so.

Data on them starts to degrade after a year(?) if they're left unpowered, but a new one is gonna be just fine.

• Locked thread