Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

HenessyHero posted:

Why the gently caress am I better at this game when there's no counter icons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NCLxwLEY

Let the force flow through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

HenessyHero posted:

Why the gently caress am I better at this game when there's no counter icons?

It's likely that the lack of focus on counter icons encourages broader awareness, and massive sequence bias- you've already had a whole game's worth of practice once you start icon-less fights.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
The only place where the icons really make a difference for me is the ninjas, because sometimes you can block and sometimes you have to blade dodge, so I just jump around a lot. That, and the Deathstroke fight/ martial artists, where it took me a while to realize you wait for it to go slow-motion before countering.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey, I just beat this game. I had a ton of fun with Arkham Origins, I was ready to write it off as being a good but tiresome Batman sequel. But I don't know, I think I like this one just as much as Asylum. I think it's a little weird that I have beaten the game but I never saw two of the other assassins (outside cutscenes), but I really liked the wide range of events that happened. It feels to me like Origins takes advantage of the open world better than City did.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jurgan posted:

The only place where the icons really make a difference for me is the ninjas, because sometimes you can block and sometimes you have to blade dodge, so I just jump around a lot. That, and the Deathstroke fight/ martial artists, where it took me a while to realize you wait for it to go slow-motion before countering.
Ninjas doing the blade attack telegraph really hard by winding up the sword over their head I believe. I've only done maybe 2 or 3 blade takedowns on ninjas in AO without counter icons even though it felt like a cakewalk in AC on NG+. It might just be because AO is so counter heavy and I get nervous against ninjas for some reason or they are much MUCH faster in AO for some reason. Honestly if a ninja is attacking and you plan on countering it, just hold back and counter regardless and if you start dodging, well you dodged a bullet there. But yeah you can easily trivialize martial artists and ninjas with a redirect and follow up attack.

Oh and I guess WB Montreal wanted to make us think more about gadget use by failing us out of the combo when a batarang or something hits a shield enemy but in the rare instance where I batarang a mook as he picks up a shield, it will knock him down as it hits him from behind but it fails me out of my combo anyway. The only time it doesn't fail out is during a powered gadget attack or something whereas in AC if I throw all three 'rangs at a shielded mook my multiplier just stays there waiting to go up. Thanks a bunch guys!:saddowns:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Discendo Vox posted:

It's likely that the lack of focus on counter icons encourages broader awareness, and massive sequence bias- you've already had a whole game's worth of practice once you start icon-less fights.

I had just wrapped up all the combat in the training room before diving in, that's what I was comparing it to. You're probably right about the broader awareness though. Counter icons are a false crutch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think it's a little weird that I have beaten the game but I never saw two of the other assassins (outside cutscenes), but I really liked the wide range of events that happened.

Two of the assassins need you to go to a particular location/interact with a particular thing to kick them off.

For Shiva, after you leave the bank there'll be the sound of a crying baby and an apparently abandoned baby carriage in the middle of the street you need to investigate.

For Deadshot, Alfred will report at some point in the game picking up an SOS signal. If you go to the location, a police helicopter tries to arrest you and is shot down. You reconstruct the crime scene and figure out it was Deadshot, find his radio frequency and he goads you to go back to the bank to rescue a hostage he has taken.

As far as I recall, every other assassin is encountered just by playing the game's main storyline.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
How does the Batman One Million skin unlock? I signed up for the WB thing, verified, and restarted the game but it's not turning up. Bug or feature?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just got origins a day or two ago and played a bit on day 1. When I tried to play it yesterday, as soon as the "Press Start" screen pops up my xbox crashes with streaks of white snow down the screen. Is this a known issue or is my xbox headed out? :ohdear:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Daryl Surat posted:

The effect is certainly neat, but there's not really a gameplay aspect in which you, the player, are "solving" anything. Batman says "I should look at that thing" until you look at that thing, at which point the crime scene reconstruction assembles a highly elaborate series of events which Batman narrates based on minimal evidence. I will accept this because it's the Bat-computer, but the most "detective work" required of the player is to rewind the point at which you can see the object in question go flying off to some location, and by this I mean "the red line the computer draws for you." For the previous games this was easy to accept, but now that they've drawn much more attention to the crime solving aspects in Origins it's harder to overlook.

Everyone saying how brilliant the Lacey Towers part was, did I miss something or did Batman go all Adrian Monk and somehow deduce that the Joker, a man he had never met and had only recently even heard of, was behind the whole thing due to finding a couple of loving jacks lying on the ground?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Two of the assassins need you to go to a particular location/interact with a particular thing to kick them off.

For Shiva, after you leave the bank there'll be the sound of a crying baby and an apparently abandoned baby carriage in the middle of the street you need to investigate.

You missed the last part of this that most people miss.

She challenges you to find and protect 'an innocent man'. Later on you will hear a cop shouting 'Help me' with no police crime or such alert. Its in the top north east zone on the map if I remember correctly. Head to the building and inside is a guy hanging over electrified water you need to save.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Silentgoldfish posted:

How does the Batman One Million skin unlock? I signed up for the WB thing, verified, and restarted the game but it's not turning up. Bug or feature?

I could be mistaken, but I think that one is MP only. So no story mode, no challenge mode.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

raditts posted:

Everyone saying how brilliant the Lacey Towers part was, did I miss something or did Batman go all Adrian Monk and somehow deduce that the Joker, a man he had never met and had only recently even heard of, was behind the whole thing due to finding a couple of loving jacks lying on the ground?

I don't quite remember, but I think that he saw that Roman's girlfriend sent some texts saying that someone called "The Joker" was coming after them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Silentgoldfish posted:

It's not showing up in the Batsuit closet in the Batcave at all? You've done everything you need to do for it to show up there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Seventh Arrow posted:

I don't quite remember, but I think that he saw that Roman's girlfriend sent some texts saying that someone called "The Joker" was coming after them.

You are remembering correctly. That's basically the final piece of the puzzle you need to find before the deductions start.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aw, jeez, I think I screwed myself out of the "Worst Nightmare" achievement on the first run. Anywhere you can find propane tanks in the open world?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Aw, jeez, I think I screwed myself out of the "Worst Nightmare" achievement on the first run. Anywhere you can find propane tanks in the open world?

Not really, no. Although they don't always appear in predator rooms, either. Where in the game are you? They have one when you first enter the Sionis Steel Mill and another in the GCPD.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Seventh Arrow posted:

Not really, no. Although they don't always appear in predator rooms, either. Where in the game are you? They have one when you first enter the Sionis Steel Mill and another in the GCPD.

I've finished the story and I'm in free roam now.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Well, I hope you were intending to do a New Game+ anyways :sigh:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Please tell me Worst Nightmare progress carries over into New Game+.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Please tell me Worst Nightmare progress carries over into New Game+.
Yes it does.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Trying to finish these Campaign modes in the challenges is going to give me an aneurysm. Why is there no choice to restart with the modifiers you already chose?

edit: Oh god there's medals that are impossible to get if you choose the wrong modifiers, found out the hard way when I was balls deep 6 medals in and the final one required a silent takedown (which I had modified to be unable to do)

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 6, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Trying to finish these Campaign modes in the challenges is going to give me an aneurysm. Why is there no choice to restart with the modifiers you already chose?

edit: Oh god there's medals that are impossible to get if you choose the wrong modifiers, found out the hard way when I was balls deep 6 medals in and the final one required a silent takedown (which I had modified to be unable to do)
Yes that always sucks balls. This was a problem in AC too, dunno why they don't put the predator challenge explanations into the menu summary/during modifier selection or just have better modifier selections for certain campaigns or something.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Aren't the reverse ledge takedowns good enough for that medal?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

HenessyHero posted:

Aren't the reverse ledge takedowns good enough for that medal?
The prompt for those is "silent takedown" and if it's the map I think it is (I ran into the same problem) - Gotham Royal Hotel Lobby - there doesn't seem to be any good spots to do that except possibly that scaffolding piece on the bottom floor, if that is even possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish there was an alternate option for predator rooms that was variation/scoring based instead of "do these three things." It'd probably be hard to work out a good scoring system but it'd be more fun than feeling so locked in.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish there was an alternate option for predator rooms that was variation/scoring based instead of "do these three things." It'd probably be hard to work out a good scoring system but it'd be more fun than feeling so locked in.
Sometimes I just dick around and try new things but I almost always do the medals first.

But yeah something like max variation, full silent, fully loud, or something would be nice. Almost like how the Worst Nightmare challenges somehow worked out. Except not terribly implemented.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

happyhippy posted:

You missed the last part of this that most people miss.

She challenges you to find and protect 'an innocent man'. Later on you will hear a cop shouting 'Help me' with no police crime or such alert. Its in the top north east zone on the map if I remember correctly. Head to the building and inside is a guy hanging over electrified water you need to save.

I didn't mention it because I didn't think it was actually possible to continue that assassin's storyline without doing that?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There used to be intimidation bonuses for loving around with guards. I wish they developed the relentlessly terrify mooks aspect a little more for predator rooms.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Sober posted:

Sometimes I just dick around and try new things but I almost always do the medals first.

But yeah something like max variation, full silent, fully loud, or something would be nice. Almost like how the Worst Nightmare challenges somehow worked out. Except not terribly implemented.

I haven't played it, but the latest Splinter Cell game does something similar, where there are three 'tracks' available: combat, ghost and panther.

Combat is like you'd expect, loud guns and big bangs.
Ghost is completing objectives without being seen, and possibly without even interacting with guards? Like you can't even knock them out just gotta slip right on by but I'm not sure on that.
Panther is similar to the Arkham games, aggressively using stealth to take out enemies.

So yeah I think with some tweaking you could get something similar but not exactly the same to that system in Arkham. Maybe throw in some more challenges like hostage takers and whatnot that reward pure stealth or whatever.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Mazerunner posted:

I haven't played it, but the latest Splinter Cell game does something similar, where there are three 'tracks' available: combat, ghost and panther.

Combat is like you'd expect, loud guns and big bangs.
Ghost is completing objectives without being seen, and possibly without even interacting with guards? Like you can't even knock them out just gotta slip right on by but I'm not sure on that.
Panther is similar to the Arkham games, aggressively using stealth to take out enemies.

So yeah I think with some tweaking you could get something similar but not exactly the same to that system in Arkham. Maybe throw in some more challenges like hostage takers and whatnot that reward pure stealth or whatever.

Combat is full on combat, Ghost is pretty much non-lethal stealth. You can still take guards out, but if it's melee; without the knife. You can also use the Crossbow and the Stungun since both are non lethal. There are also tear gas and sleep gas grenades as well as shock mines.

Panther is pretty much lethal stealth. Knife melees and silenced weaponry.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, Blacklist is tons of fun but much more leaning in the stealth direction. If you enjoy a full-on stealth game then you really need to play that. I could chew your ear off about how good the AI in that game actually is when you gently caress up and how they react or whatever but it's not really in the same vein as scaring the ever-living daylights out of some random mooks because you are the goddamn Batman, which is half the charm of the Predator sequences. In fact, Splinter Cell (starting with Conviction or Blacklist) leans a bit more towards comboing takedowns of enemies (even if Ghost rewards you waaaay much more than Panther can unless you can combo the poo poo out of the system).

Skoll posted:

Combat is full on combat, Ghost is pretty much non-lethal stealth. You can still take guards out, but if it's melee; without the knife. You can also use the Crossbow and the Stungun since both are non lethal. There are also tear gas and sleep gas grenades as well as shock mines.

Panther is pretty much lethal stealth. Knife melees and silenced weaponry.
Ghost undisturbed > ghost KOs > Panther kills > combat kills > evading enemies - in terms of points. Maps are split into sections for the most part and will grade you accordingly if you left enemies standing/escaped when they spotted you (or in the case of certain maps that are just one large elaborate section, they check when you complete an objective).

It's a drat shame because Origins is really a metric fuckton of combat and the predator sections are good but aren't as excellent as they could be other than the remote claw. Well, the only other thing is that most maps have PAs that 'announce' you have made silent takedowns unless you disable them but that's not that fun and a waste of using a distruptor on a jammer or the last guy to freak him out when his gun fails on him.

But back to Predator maps, I wish there was a scored variation that took into account takedown variety, time and all the other stuff like the grading in story mode kinda does.

Sober fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 7, 2013

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Is there a story mode for the DLC or just challenge maps?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

Is there a story mode for the DLC or just challenge maps?

playing the actual campaign challenge rather than the individual maps gives flavor cut-scenes but nothing so much as a real plot as I understand it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
FYI there are three different endings to the DLC campaign if you get <9, >9, or all 15 medals.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I just noticed that if you play the predator maps as Bruce Wayne, there's no intercom announcing that a thug had been taken out. So you're free to go crazy with the silent takedowns, it's like playing with a cheat code or something.

Also, there's no way to do quick takedowns on martial arts guys, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It'd be great if one of the future Arkham games added a Boss Rematch/Boss Rush Mode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It'd be great if one of the future Arkham games added a Boss Rematch/Boss Rush Mode.

Pretty much every game with boss battles should probably do this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Under the Red Hood changed quite a few things from the original story and it's better for that because the original story sucked.

On that note, isn't the Joker officially an Arab now? I seem to recall that happening in a Death in the Family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On that note, isn't the Joker officially an Arab now? I seem to recall that happening in a Death in the Family.

I think they stripped him of that after trying to kill the entire U.N.

• Locked thread