Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly, although it may be generally rougher around the edges, AC4 is probably a better graphical example of showing off how good a game can look while actually playing it. Naval battles and boarding during a thunderstorm, with waves and rain effects, look amazing.
This is crazy. Both Knack and Killzone look way better than AC4, which appears to still be using a lot of last-gen assets and shaders. I certainly enjoy AC4 the most of the three, but it really shows its cross-gen portness compared to the exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jerkface posted:

Its not fixed at all in the PS4 Killzone. I never played whatever this kid level is. In all the other levels, if you stand next to enemies your eyes are at their chest. Its more glaring in MP
Well maybe you just have eyes where your nipples should be, did you ever consider that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sindai posted:

This is crazy. Both Knack and Killzone look way better than AC4, which appears to still be using a lot of last-gen assets and shaders. I certainly enjoy AC4 the most of the three, but it really shows its cross-gen portness compared to the exclusives.

Yeah there were certain aspects of Killzone that looked the most next gen of any of the games i've played. Most notably the textures and lighting looking insanely good. Most of the really impressive stuff they showed off just turned out to be totally non interactive setpieces though like the city that looks amazing, but it's just there for you to fly over and gawk at.

E: Also, it has by far the best AA of any current PS4 games (haven't played Knack but that's probably good too). Good luck finding a jagged edge in that whole loving game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 10, 2013

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

NESguerilla posted:

It's kind of comical how over saturated SA Awful mart is with Killzone. The game trading thread is just pages of people trying to get rid of it and every PS4 releated thread has someone pop in with "I got a copy of Killzone would you trade for that instead?".

It's not even a bad game it's just pretty clear that it's the one everyone bought and realized shortly after that they should have got something else. I know I did. Poor Killzone. Maybe one of these days it will be a top shooter but I doubt it.

They fixed that after Killzone 2 though? At least I didn't notice it all in Shadow Fall and it drove me loving crazy in KZ2. KZ2 felt like I was playing as a midget. Unless you are referring to the first 10 minutes of the game where you are a kid.

Even the part where you're playing as a kid, unless you're supposed to be like two, the camera is way too short. Your eyes are about level with the adults' knees.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NESguerilla posted:

They fixed that after Killzone 2 though? At least I didn't notice it all in Shadow Fall and it drove me loving crazy in KZ2. KZ2 felt like I was playing as a midget. Unless you are referring to the first 10 minutes of the game where you are a kid.

Nah. Dude is still super tiny in this game. It seems like it's not as pronounced as in KZ2.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
I like Killzone but I can see why many people wouldn't. The multiplayer is rather straightforward and it's not constantly showering you with new weapons, attachments, customization options, etc. like COD and Battlefield. Also, it seems to have a very small online community.

BF4 on PC is my go-to shooter but for me, Killzone is a great alternative. I like the campaign too and appreciate having a well-made sci-fi shooter.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The R1 on my DS4 has started to get chunky and sticky in triggering, so much that it's not good when I'm flying a bomber that drops one bomb per R1 and need precise timing in War Thunder. Fix it by myself because the sticks don't have bad rubber, or report it to the store so they can file a note with Sony because statistics are good?

(And what was the fix? I've got pictures of someone's gutted DS4. Hm.)

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

The R1 on my DS4 has started to get chunky and sticky in triggering, so much that it's not good when I'm flying a bomber that drops one bomb per R1 and need precise timing in War Thunder. Fix it by myself because the sticks don't have bad rubber, or report it to the store so they can file a note with Sony because statistics are good?

(And what was the fix? I've got pictures of someone's gutted DS4. Hm.)

Report your issue with Sony, I'd even have them swap controllers if you can stand to be without yours for a few days

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
IIRC the fix was just popping off the button and removing some left-over plastic that didn't get cut off from the molding process.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I pre-ordered a New Year Edition on Amazon.ca in case I wanted to pull the trigger by the time the release date (January 15) came around.

Just got an e-mail saying it's shipped.

Whoops!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Philip J Fry posted:

IIRC the fix was just popping off the button and removing some left-over plastic that didn't get cut off from the molding process.

Mine was great from the 29th until today though. Hurm. I'm going to talk with the good folks at the store, while also checking how much trade-in credit can be had on KZ:SF because it's going to gather dust
:smith: I really want Knack, just to see if I get that "I want to make this game my bitch" feel. Or the camera.

If the store says no I'll just open this baby up and pull the tab to the LED bar while at it.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
Anyone notice how horribly slow PS4 games download? And it is seemingly just the PS4. My PS3 nor my Vita takie this long. I am trying to download Doki Doki and I have a six hour wait on my hand. I'm hoping they can figure this out because this is completely unacceptable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Haven't noticed that because my download speeds have been the opposite of terrible on PS4.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

GRINK HELCH posted:

Anyone notice how horribly slow PS4 games download? And it is seemingly just the PS4. My PS3 nor my Vita takie this long. I am trying to download Doki Doki and I have a six hour wait on my hand. I'm hoping they can figure this out because this is completely unacceptable.

I'm with Feenix here, any downloading I've done hasn't taken more than a few minutes, and I'm on a lovely Canadian ISP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GRINK HELCH posted:

Mine have been blisteringly quick, is everything setup correctly on your router wrt to ports etc/is it far away from your wifi/any other possible weirdness like that?

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

GRINK HELCH posted:

I was amazed at how quick games download on the PS4, mine is hooked up wirelessly to my network and I haven't timed the download times as they have been quick enough for me not to care about it. The PS3 on the other hand would take an eternity to download stuff and I'd have to resort to booking it up with a cable just to get games before I die of old age.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004

Stux posted:

Mine have been blisteringly quick, is everything setup correctly on your router wrt to ports etc/is it far away from your wifi/any other possible weirdness like that?

No weirdness as far as I can tell on my end. It sits right next to my PS3 which never has issues downloading things. I'll have to recheck my items, maybe something is off.

Edit: glad I said something. Fixed. Blazingly quick now.

GRINK HELCH fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 11, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

GRINK HELCH posted:

No weirdness as far as I can tell on my end. It sits right next to my PS3 which never has issues downloading things. I'll have to recheck my items, maybe something is off.

I have a weird issue where the PS4 will download things reeeeeeaally slow (like maybe 100k a second) but if I restart the internet connection a few times by testing it, it eventually unfucks itself and starts behaving speedily.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have a weird issue where the PS4 will download things reeeeeeaally slow (like maybe 100k a second) but if I restart the internet connection a few times by testing it, it eventually unfucks itself and starts behaving speedily.

I did just this, worked like a charm

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember the ps3s download speeds over wifi were slow as heck. I've been using a wired connection on mine. Has anyone experienced slow downloads over wifi on the ps4?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

NESguerilla posted:

It's kind of comical how over saturated SA Awful mart is with Killzone. The game trading thread is just pages of people trying to get rid of it and every PS4 releated thread has someone pop in with "I got a copy of Killzone would you trade for that instead?".

It's not even a bad game it's just pretty clear that it's the one everyone bought and realized shortly after that they should have got something else. I know I did. Poor Killzone. Maybe one of these days it will be a top shooter but I doubt it.

Yeah, it's certainly very pretty but I guess my problem with it is you can burn through the fairly average campaign in a few days and if you aren't fussed about the multiplayer (I tried it a couple of times and didn't care for it) then that's it. I'm 99% sure I'm not going to play it again so why keep it? I managed to sell it for 30 on ebay and you just know it's going to show up on PS+ eventually anyway.

Killzone is great for eye-candy but not much else IMO. AC4 is a last-gen game in current-gen clothing but it still looks pretty and I've had way more fun with it than KZ. I can only imagine what Ubisoft could come up with if they didn't have to port the thing to 6 (count 'em!) platforms!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I remember the ps3s download speeds over wifi were slow as heck. I've been using a wired connection on mine. Has anyone experienced slow downloads over wifi on the ps4?

My brothers is hooked up over our 64mbit connection and seems to be quite happy to utilise it at a decent clip over wifi.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Shonuff posted:

I like Killzone but I can see why many people wouldn't. The multiplayer is rather straightforward and it's not constantly showering you with new weapons, attachments, customization options, etc. like COD and Battlefield. Also, it seems to have a very small online community.

BF4 on PC is my go-to shooter but for me, Killzone is a great alternative. I like the campaign too and appreciate having a well-made sci-fi shooter.

My biggest issue with KZ is the bright-rear end next-gen lighting everywhere that looks great but makes everything 10 times harder to see. The gameplay itself is pretty decent in the MP and has potential but turning a corner and having neon orange lights in your eyes and dying because you can't see someone else is annoying after the 100th time.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

big mean giraffe posted:

My biggest issue with KZ is the bright-rear end next-gen lighting everywhere that looks great but makes everything 10 times harder to see. The gameplay itself is pretty decent in the MP and has potential but turning a corner and having neon orange lights in your eyes and dying because you can't see someone else is annoying after the 100th time.
Yeah, this is my biggest irritation with the game so far. The environment looks amazing but I'm getting pretty tired of spending more time locating the enemies than shooting at them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GRINK HELCH posted:

Edit: glad I said something. Fixed. Blazingly quick now.

If you were wireless on your PS4 and PS3 even though you fixed it I feel it's worth noting I out my PS4 where my
PS3 was and barely even got 512k down, ( my ps3 got like 15mb down wirelessly. )

Needless to say, I went wired on my PS4.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I actually like what the KZ multiplayer does, definitely has too much ow-my-cybereyes-in-the-year-23XX but I really like it. I just don't feel a gnatsdick of interest in first person shooting any longer.

I'll get on the next Deus Ex day one though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MrLonghair posted:

I'll get on the next Deus Ex day one though.

After the last one I wouldn't pay more than maybe $10 on a massive Steam sale for the next one, and that'd be pushing it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Why, what didn't you like about HR?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MZ posted:

Yeah, it's certainly very pretty but I guess my problem with it is you can burn through the fairly average campaign in a few days and if you aren't fussed about the multiplayer (I tried it a couple of times and didn't care for it) then that's it. I'm 99% sure I'm not going to play it again so why keep it? I managed to sell it for 30 on ebay and you just know it's going to show up on PS+ eventually anyway.

Killzone is great for eye-candy but not much else IMO. AC4 is a last-gen game in current-gen clothing but it still looks pretty and I've had way more fun with it than KZ. I can only imagine what Ubisoft could come up with if they didn't have to port the thing to 6 (count 'em!) platforms!

Yeah I pretty much felt the same way about KZ.

Unfortunately, Assassins Creed isn't grabbing me at all either which is what I ended up trading in Killzone for. I really tried to like it and I thought I'd the pirate stuff might be enough of a change of pace, but at its core I just really can't stand Assassins Creed, which means my single player options are currently nil on PS4 outside of Resogun which is a blast in small bursts.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NESguerilla posted:

Unfortunately, Assassins Creed isn't grabbing me at all either which is what I ended up trading in Killzone for. I really tried to like it and I thought I'd the pirate stuff might be enough of a change of pace, but at its core I just really can't stand Assassins Creed, which means my single player options are currently nil on PS4 outside of Resogun which is a blast in small bursts.

Give it a chance. I hated it at first too, and admittedly the main story missions are garbage until at least 6 (where I am), but the game in general is great. Now I get all giddy when I find a cool new outfit

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
Most of AC4's story missions were tedious or forgettable, but goddamn was everything else awesome. It's worth it just for the sea content and island hopping alone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

leidend posted:

Give it a chance. I hated it at first too, and admittedly the main story missions are garbage until at least 6 (where I am), but the game in general is great. Now I get all giddy when I find a cool new outfit

I'm still giving it a chance technically. I semi enjoyed it for probably 5 or 6 hours and now I'll pop it in every few days and play for 15 minutes before I get bored. There is just something about that series that doesn't grab me at all. I put about the same amount of time into AC2 and felt the same way. I'm still planning on playing it more eventually though but I feel like 5 hours should be enough time to figure out whether I like a game or not.

I've mostly been doing story stuff so maybe that's where I went wrong.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I have AC4, but have been waiting to finish the rest of the games I own (and for Ubi to fix the 100 friend issue) before I start. I figure AC4 should get me through the lull between now and March if I only play for an hour or so each day.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Good news for those who wanted this, Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is getting a physical release on PS4 in NA/EU now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

I'm really wondering how long this thing is gonna be. I'd be happy with at least 5 hours, but I'm worried it'll top out at 2 or something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It'd be great if they put Online on the disc too. Having a five hour prologue and a full-featured online mode would be a fantastic deal.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Soul Glo posted:

I'm really wondering how long this thing is gonna be. I'd be happy with at least 5 hours, but I'm worried it'll top out at 2 or something.

Well, aside from the Main Op there's supposed to be a ton of Side Ops and stuff to do aside from the main story quest. Plus it's an open world Metal Gear thing so there's bound to be a ton of potential just for dicking around. I think MGS5's Metal Gear Online is just for The Phantom Pain though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

My insane sound setup paid off tonight, as I had two hours of partychat while flying planes and having an awesome time, best quality ever while being able to adjust the incoming party chat volume freely, and my own mic volume. Behringer Xenyx 302 USB soundcard, outputting to a channel of that and PS4 audio into a regular mixer to my speakers/headphones.

What a glorious glorious console. Greatness came! And I'm only playing freaking War Thunder! A guy liked my flying so much he added me, invited me to a party chat and we had a two hour flight session kicking rear end. Hell.

That freaking PS4 :unsmith:

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I know this has been asked before but I was wondering what's a good headset for the PS4 that is around 60 to 80 dollars, maybe 100 max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

I hope we get some good PS3 Vs PS4 comparisons around launch. I'll be getting a PS4 for sure, but probably not until summer and I want to see if it's worth just waiting it out or buying on PS3. Is there meant to be any carry-over between GZ and TPP in terms of unlockables or stats or something? If there is I'll probably just wait as it almost certainly won't be cross-gen if it is.

• Locked thread