Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kairo posted:

I am going to add cloaking devices too, so a faction might have cloaks + shotguns + super weak vitality.

In the old starfleet battles board game, the Romulans were known for their multi-turn charging plasma weapons and cloaks, which gave rise to an almost submarine-like set of tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
TBQH I'd love a space shooter where all the weapons were things like shotguns, railguns, charge-up guns, flack bursts, and every other thing you can think of that's not the usual pew pew pew rapid fire gun. Maybe if there was one normal "keep the pip centered on the lead indicator" gun make it a continuous beam laser. Just make everything different than what you expect from the space sim, go full on Ratchet & Clank with that poo poo.

I think maybe one reason the space sim genre got stale was that the main action of dogfights and holding your gun tracking on a target ala WW2 machine gun fighters gets really really repetitive. In the Raph Koster learning & mastery fun theory, we all had that poo poo completely mastered and new games weren't really adding any novel concepts.

Also, anyone remember Tachyon The Fringe? There was a weapon in that game like a railgun / sniper rifle thing -- slow to fire, long range, high damage. Plus many of the AI ships were programed to go full evasive when out of shieds and run away from you. So that gun made the best one-two punch ever, using a anti-shield weapon to strip their shield, then don't bother afterburning to chase them. Just line up shot and finish them with one hit. :hellyeah:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Klyith posted:

TBQH I'd love a space shooter where all the weapons were things like shotguns, railguns, charge-up guns, flack bursts, and every other thing you can think of that's not the usual pew pew pew rapid fire gun.

I always liked the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica show for this reason. There were no shields, no stealth, nothing but ballistics, shrapnel and explosions. ANd so much drat flak, goddamn.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I was born with a lazy left eye and it didn't get corrected (read: kid me hated those patches) and ended up amblyopic and stereoblind, so I've only got inferential depth perception techniques like parallax to go by. Makes trying to take a left turn at night without a stoplight suck total rear end, I tell you what! :v:

Normally the left eye is effectively "off" (it's not, really, but it's like trying to explain color to someone blind from birth, so vOv), but with the Rift it wouldn't have a choice. My guess would be the two disparate images would refuse to combine and I'd get a violent fucker of a headache, so the immersion part would be a bust too. But I'd love to find out for sure!

I'm really late to the party on this, but I have amblyopia resulting from strabismus, and I can confirm that the Rift is still loving awesome.
Because the image on each screen is a whole image in its own right, it doesn't matter that you can't integrate them; you get pretty much the same effect you do from looking at reality - you don't get the 3D perception that normal folk do, but it's still really immersive.

That said, I don't know exactly how your eyes work so it'd still be wise to give it a try before you buy it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Colon Semicolon posted:

Having a shotgun on a space fighter is the dumbest thing ever.
Every game needs it now.

In the popular Blue Planet: War In Heaven mod for Freespace 2, there's an incredibly effective space shotgun on one of the fighters.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 10, 2013

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Klyith posted:

TBQH I'd love a space shooter where all the weapons were things like shotguns, railguns, charge-up guns, flack bursts, and every other thing you can think of that's not the usual pew pew pew rapid fire gun. Maybe if there was one normal "keep the pip centered on the lead indicator" gun make it a continuous beam laser. Just make everything different than what you expect from the space sim, go full on Ratchet & Clank with that poo poo.

I think maybe one reason the space sim genre got stale was that the main action of dogfights and holding your gun tracking on a target ala WW2 machine gun fighters gets really really repetitive. In the Raph Koster learning & mastery fun theory, we all had that poo poo completely mastered and new games weren't really adding any novel concepts.

Also, anyone remember Tachyon The Fringe? There was a weapon in that game like a railgun / sniper rifle thing -- slow to fire, long range, high damage. Plus many of the AI ships were programed to go full evasive when out of shieds and run away from you. So that gun made the best one-two punch ever, using a anti-shield weapon to strip their shield, then don't bother afterburning to chase them. Just line up shot and finish them with one hit. :hellyeah:

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of lateral movement in space games, particularly once mouse and keyboard controls became the standard. Did you ever play shattered horizon? You were a dude in a space suit in that game which meant you could duck into cover and do all kinds of juking motions. Adding some of that element of control to a space shooter would be fantastic. I love the swooping combat of X-wing and things like that, but taking advantage of the kind of hypermobility that frictionless combat entails would be fun too. Give me full access to the RCS!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chiming in once again to say I will throw all kinds of money at you Kairo, as soon as possible.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Klyith posted:

I remember that game! I don't remember that specific weapon, though, mainly because my favorite was the one you got on the corp path that was a charging gun with a ludicrously high maximum charge. Seriously, you could charge that thing for, like, a minute while dodging enemy fire, then dart in and one-shot a cap ship. It was great.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

ShineDog posted:

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of lateral movement in space games, particularly once mouse and keyboard controls became the standard. Did you ever play shattered horizon? You were a dude in a space suit in that game which meant you could duck into cover and do all kinds of juking motions. Adding some of that element of control to a space shooter would be fantastic. I love the swooping combat of X-wing and things like that, but taking advantage of the kind of hypermobility that frictionless combat entails would be fun too. Give me full access to the RCS!

Independence War, Descent, Freelancer, and-- I'm pretty sure-- X3 all do this to varying degrees. It's actually fairly common in later space combat genre titles.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zizi posted:

Independence War, Descent, Freelancer, and-- I'm pretty sure-- X3 all do this to varying degrees. It's actually fairly common in later space combat genre titles.

This thread's already had this chat. Done well it's really cool (Independence war). Done badly it either ends up being either an inconsequential feature nobody uses or so overpowered that all combat becomes turret matches. It all depends on whether you are going full Newtonian or Star Wars, but you generally have to pick one.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I wish we had some more fancy animated gifs.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

I wish we had some more fancy animated gifs.

Soon! I'm working on some lower-level stuff than combat right now which mainly involves me diagramming stuff in my notebooks and staring at code, so it's not that interesting. But when it's done I should have some shiny new work to make gifs/streams out of.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Indeed.

@tipul posted:

Lane Marshal patrol. Turns out those clouds work in the skybox too, but will need tweaking. Promising start though!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Zizi posted:

Sure, but other than Descent in most of these games your lateral movement is extremely minor.

Sorry though, this whole thing makes it sound like I don't like airplane in space kind of game, and thats not true. Love em. More what I meant is that all axis FPS in a spaceship worked really well for descent (which I failed to mention before) and I'm surprised it hasn't been lifted more often.

Still entirely excited for this game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Descent is awesome but it's worth noting that you don't really retain momentum in a true-Newtonian fashion. This isn't inherently bad, it just allies the game more closely with (really unusual) FPS design than with space sims.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ShineDog posted:

Sure, but other than Descent in most of these games your lateral movement is extremely minor.

X* strafing is pretty radical and you essentially have to use it during the initial joust to spiral around the incoming fire. It's not inconsequential by any means. I don't remember Freelancer much as it was horribly dumbed-down at the time.

ShineDog posted:

More what I meant is that all axis FPS in a spaceship worked really well for descent (which I failed to mention before) and I'm surprised it hasn't been lifted more often.

X:rebirth currently has it and it makes the spacecraft fly more like an ROV than a plane or spacecraft, but that's partially because they've worked on a model of high drag for the xbox controller. If they ever fix the game for joysticks, it might be more interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAJuR5giGo - It appears that Elite has the ability to turn off the airplane mode for something a little more 'slidey', which is the route that WC:Prophecy, Tachyon and Freespace went.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You can do full Newtonian or airplane physics + strafing/6DOF lateral thrust in FreeSpace as well, although (just like sliding/gliding) it requires specific choices by the mod designer.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Is the maneuvering going to be hard-limited or soft limited? Eg, your fighter can pull a 12g turn, but your pilot can only sustain a 9g one, so you have a limited amount of time you can pull that high g turn with the risk of blacking out. Or you can play it safe and stick to the g limit. I find myself making this choice in a dogfight in FC3 all the time and I like the mechanic of it. Or will it be as it is in most space sims, your fighter can only pull a certain turn rate with no risk of blackout?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xerxes17 posted:

Is the maneuvering going to be hard-limited or soft limited? Eg, your fighter can pull a 12g turn, but your pilot can only sustain a 9g one, so you have a limited amount of time you can pull that high g turn with the risk of blacking out. Or you can play it safe and stick to the g limit. I find myself making this choice in a dogfight in FC3 all the time and I like the mechanic of it. Or will it be as it is in most space sims, your fighter can only pull a certain turn rate with no risk of blackout?
I don't think we've seen anything to suggest there is any blacking out - presumably your turn rate is limited as in most space sims.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
It's a bright new .gif!

@tipul posted:

Instant Action menu. Scenario runs itself in the background. Things are starting to come together!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alehkhs posted:

It's a bright new .gif!
I hope this is done & gets released before the end of winter, some bright color saturated background nebulae would be amazing for me in NY right about now.

VVV e: yeah I wasn't thinking it would happen, but my world is completely grey right now so that gif gave a sudden pang.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 20, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Klyith posted:

I hope this is done & gets released before the end of winter, some bright color saturated background nebulae would be amazing for me in NY right about now.

I really don't think you're going to get lucky. Nothing that's been said has hinted at the game being almost out the door.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm really late to the party on this, but I have amblyopia resulting from strabismus, and I can confirm that the Rift is still loving awesome.
Because the image on each screen is a whole image in its own right, it doesn't matter that you can't integrate them; you get pretty much the same effect you do from looking at reality - you don't get the 3D perception that normal folk do, but it's still really immersive.

That said, I don't know exactly how your eyes work so it'd still be wise to give it a try before you buy it.
That does make me hopeful, thanks! I've really gotta find a way to try one in Las Vegas one of these days.

As for ES, as usual new GIFs are making me happy and excited! Keep on keeping on, Kairo :dance:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xerxes17 posted:

Not wanting to drift the thread, but have you seen Rogue System? It's intended to be a more simlike space shooter experience (heading to Falcon 4 territory). He originally tried to kickstart the base system, but has since moved to just developing the thing on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFKREQnKvps

DCS-esque startup sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohF6uLkvvQ

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That's like, SAM-site sim number of buttons. I'm sure it's not going to be like that in flight but wow.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Hav posted:

Not wanting to drift the thread, but have you seen Rogue System? It's intended to be a more simlike space shooter experience (heading to Falcon 4 territory). He originally tried to kickstart the base system, but has since moved to just developing the thing on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFKREQnKvps

DCS-esque startup sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohF6uLkvvQ

As a horrible sperg and a DCS fan I know this will be pointlessly in depth but I want it so much :fap:.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Thanks to someone in this thread I now own Parallel Lines (Elson/Moore) and Hardware: The definitive SF works of Chris Foss.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

@tipul posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks_on_parachutists
Your anti-missile autoturret can also take out similar-sized... targets.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ahaha that's cold as gently caress.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, we know Dread is a resource, maybe there's room for "Outrage."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Why is this game so far away from release? :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Because Kairo has to make it even more awesome.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

KakerMix posted:

I always liked the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica show for this reason. There were no shields, no stealth, nothing but ballistics, shrapnel and explosions. ANd so much drat flak, goddamn.

*cough* Diaspora *cough*
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0

Okay done with shameless self-plugging.

Enemy Starfighter looks utterly amazing though. I like the idea of instant action having catchphrases tied to the seed.

One question tough since there was a discussion on space terrain:
Klingon Academy probably did it the best, and I'm sure the scale of the engagements here are too small to allow for gas giant atmospheres, rings, solar coronas, neutron stars, and black holes.

But I can dream can't I about those being say... an expansion?

Atarask fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 31, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As long as we get unrealistic "big rocks everywhere and some smaller rocks flying around fast" asteroid field/belts to occasionally dogfight in, I'll be happy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alehkhs posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/tipul/status/417827846887718912]
Jesus. It's the little things that count I guess.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Really liking the HUD elements on the side of your canopy. Tastes like Macross Frontier.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RangerKarl posted:

Really liking the HUD elements on the side of your canopy. Tastes like Macross Frontier.

The gunsight looks awesome, too, I like how it's part of the cockpit and not just kind of floating there. I can't goddamn wait for this game.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
At this point I'd pay for a demo. This is starting to scratch all the places i need in my gaming library.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Demo/Early access alpha and people would be all over this I swear. It just looks and sounds so great to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Happy New Year's Eve! You don't have to be working on the game now on our account, but thanks!

• Locked thread