Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
That's an amusingly informal EULA compared to many I have seen. It's certainly more readable for the layman as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's actually quite refreshing. Clear, understandable language, and the terms are extremely reasonable. It'd be great if more companies did business this way.

Also, I can't wait for the epic meltdowns :f5:

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Enzer posted:

It begins.

I don't think he even read the drat EULA, it doesn't forbid donation links. He also never got a reply as far as I can tell. :allears:

Edit:

Wow, didn't take long to get a reply from Marc at all. "Content" refers to resource packs, maps and mods, pretty much anything made available through or on the game.

That is beautiful

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
About drat time. Turns out the legion of angry, selfish, childish (and usually "for BALANCE" modders) are finally proved by the devs themselves to be in the wrong.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Awesome, this means there can't be a gategate in minecraft now either. Bring on the modmods.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
So this means that "legitimate" modpacks are a thing of the past right? We don't have to even pretend to get permission from people now.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

So this means that "legitimate" modpacks are a thing of the past right? We don't have to even pretend to get permission from people now.

Supposedly yes, I got Marc to clarify that "content", as referred to in the EULA, does indeed extend to mods. So that is a huge step forward. I'm getting arguments that "This permission must be irrevocable, and you must also let us permit other people to use, copy, modify and adapt your content" means only Mojang and those given permission by Mojang can do any of that. However the following line of "Please think carefully before you make any content available, because it will be made public and might even be used by other people in a way you don‘t like." states that all content is made "Public" by Mojang automatically when you release "content". Seeing that content is made "public", I would believe that "others" as defined in the EULA, or other owners of MC.

The thing is, is since it reads that way, that mods as "content" are made public by Mojang, it is a hell of a lot harder to say that "No, my mod is of private use or used by these restrictions".

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Not like more than a handful of people ever took permissions seriously anyway. If you post a public link that you get ad revenue from that anyone can download, you can't also deny certain people access. That's not how the internet works. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want only certain people to use it, make it available only to those people.

Still, it does feel very nice to have all of their copyright bullshit stamped out so definitively.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Taffer posted:

Not like more than a handful of people ever took permissions seriously anyway.

Well, for various definitions of "seriously." Only a handful of mods had permissive licensing, now every mod has to have it. Hell, I was looking at Millenare yesterday and the licensee would render it unusable in most packs (the coding does that for them, though). Modpacks can "legally" contain whatever you want regardless of what anyone says. It's really nice if you're 30.5 Days six months ago.

Edit: VVV Or you can just strip out that stuff, rehost it, and post it on the internet for anyone to download. For bonus points, do it on the Minecraft Forums or the Nexus that'll soon exist.

Carados fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 12, 2013

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
And I assume making stuff not work in other launchers, like gregtech working with Technic is not allowed anymore?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

tonic316 posted:

And I assume making stuff not work in other launchers, like gregtech working with Technic is not allowed anymore?

Technically you could claim that they are trying to circumvent what the modder agreed to in the EULA. Of course people can now, according to the EULA, just publicly release a modified gregtech with all that junk removed and there is nothing that could be done about it.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 12, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Carados posted:

Nexus that'll soon exist.

Already exists.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
The general lack of drama on the curse forums is kind of disappointing. I had expected it to be looking like the Red Hour on Beta III by this point. I guess I should just be watching twitter instead, to see which of my least favorite mod authors will implode first.

That also reminds me that I need to find a donation link for the minimap guy. I miss that mod and hope it gets updated soon.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

EricFate posted:

The general lack of drama on the curse forums is kind of disappointing. I had expected it to be looking like the Red Hour on Beta III by this point. I guess I should just be watching twitter instead, to see which of my least favorite mod authors will implode first.

That also reminds me that I need to find a donation link for the minimap guy. I miss that mod and hope it gets updated soon.

I think it really hasn't been noticed by many people yet. Once word starts getting around and someone actually does something the new EULA allows them to do and a modder tries to slap them down for it, then you'll probably start seeing some interesting poo poo happen.

I'm expecting once Curse gets updated that adfly isn't allowed anymore, that is going to cause some heads spinning.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

The first thing I see is the "starter house" mod, which doesn't appear to be too bad, but then again this is nexus I'm not touching it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

EricFate posted:

Which minimap? Rei's, Zan's (now Voxelmap), or MapWriter?

I'm honestly not a fan of mapwriter. I used to always use Rei's, but Zan's is good too. I like how Zan's can teleport you to waypoints if you have teleport perms.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I've started bopping around with Wylker's modpack after not playing in forever, and man Tinker's Construct really needs a plain old blood block. My killin' furnace only has so much room! And yeah I could make a bunch of Pig Iron but a) I haven't found a village for a steady supply of emeralds and b) having a base made entirely of the congealed blood of all that fall prey to my diabolical traps is just so much cooler, you know?

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

m2pt5 posted:

I'm honestly not a fan of mapwriter. I used to always use Rei's, but Zan's is good too. I like how Zan's can teleport you to waypoints if you have teleport perms.

Mapwriter is a little awkward to start with but once you play with all the options I think it is the overall best. I miss having the 3d waypoints from Rei's but I prefer the flexibility of mapwriter a lot more. It can do the teleport thing too btw.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

wylker posted:

I miss having the 3d waypoints from Rei's but I prefer the flexibility of mapwriter a lot more.

I still haven't figured out most of what mapwriter can do.

Zan's/Voxel does 3D waypoints too, and it also can do beacon-style waypoints, so it's easier to spot them from a distance either horizontally or vertically.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Well, I wanted to give Never Stop Toasting a try, but apparently my poor netbook's CPU and/or graphics isn't up to the task. I'm getting 2-3 FPS, even after giving it 5 GB of RAM and setting all the graphics to minimum. My netbook's processor is just a dual-core Celeron running at 1.4 GHz, and the video is the usual onboard crap. Guess I'll have to see if my desktop will run it decently and go back to figuring out my own mod combos or whatever on the netbook.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

taiyoko posted:

Well, I wanted to give Never Stop Toasting a try, but apparently my poor netbook's CPU and/or graphics isn't up to the task. I'm getting 2-3 FPS, even after giving it 5 GB of RAM and setting all the graphics to minimum. My netbook's processor is just a dual-core Celeron running at 1.4 GHz, and the video is the usual onboard crap. Guess I'll have to see if my desktop will run it decently and go back to figuring out my own mod combos or whatever on the netbook.

A modpack as big as NST is going to use a lot of CPU, and afaik Minecraft isn't multi-threaded. The integrated graphics card certainly won't help but I feel like it's really your CPU holding you back. You probably don't need to dump on quite that much RAM, though.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

taiyoko posted:

It's a pretty big modpack, and it takes a decent processor to run. Graphics card means less, as it's only running minimal levels of OpenGL that have been around for almost a decade at this point. The mod interactions, the worldgen, and the live minimap take up a not-insignificant amount of processor time. As RAM goes, even on my desktop, I only ever assign 2GB of RAM to the pack and don't see a performance benefit to more than that. Some folks swear by 3GB and that may hold true for machines with slower disks/processors but in my experience 2GB has been the plateau. I apologize that it doesn't run well on your netbook, but there's little I can honestly do about that. I tried to create a version with OptiFine pre-installed for people with lesser computers, but unfortunately there isn't a way to edit the command line in the launcher to tell Forge to ignore the checksum differences, so the pack will not boot.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

mechaet posted:

It's a pretty big modpack, and it takes a decent processor to run. Graphics card means less, as it's only running minimal levels of OpenGL that have been around for almost a decade at this point. The mod interactions, the worldgen, and the live minimap take up a not-insignificant amount of processor time. As RAM goes, even on my desktop, I only ever assign 2GB of RAM to the pack and don't see a performance benefit to more than that. Some folks swear by 3GB and that may hold true for machines with slower disks/processors but in my experience 2GB has been the plateau. I apologize that it doesn't run well on your netbook, but there's little I can honestly do about that. I tried to create a version with OptiFine pre-installed for people with lesser computers, but unfortunately there isn't a way to edit the command line in the launcher to tell Forge to ignore the checksum differences, so the pack will not boot.

It's fine, I honestly didn't expect it to run great due to how many mods there are in it. I found another 1.6 pack that's got about 80 mods in it, and it gets laggy for me on the netbook still, but it's not unplayable. I've just been wanting to tool around with some tech packs and really get to know things outside of Buildcraft, IC2, and TE3.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Well, I sent the email to you Wylker, but I just need to tell you: My Minecraft username (AussieEvil) is different from the name I use here, and due to the domain I use for my email, it might have landed in your spam.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

taiyoko posted:

It's fine, I honestly didn't expect it to run great due to how many mods there are in it. I found another 1.6 pack that's got about 80 mods in it, and it gets laggy for me on the netbook still, but it's not unplayable. I've just been wanting to tool around with some tech packs and really get to know things outside of Buildcraft, IC2, and TE3.

This is why I stopped playing Toast a while ago; mods kept getting added and kicked my poor computer out. One of these days I'll figure out how to do all of this modpack stuff and make Melba, but until then I'm tooling around in Wylker's pack and desperately missing Galacticraft.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

m2pt5 posted:

I always stuck with Rei's, mostly because it updated faster than Zan's.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The EULA changes are probably the best thing to happen to MC modding in a long time. Really happy to see them.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

Edminster posted:

This is why I stopped playing Toast a while ago; mods kept getting added and kicked my poor computer out. One of these days I'll figure out how to do all of this modpack stuff and make Melba, but until then I'm tooling around in Wylker's pack and desperately missing Galacticraft.

Yea it is a pain trying to have a large modpack and keep performance balanced it is even more of brutal on servers, the toast server was an arse at times to keep running.

Who knows in the future it maybe better when we get this modding api..............

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Progress is slow, but between Forge's slow but steady plod forward and Mojangs very occasional improvements(inexplicably making combat more annoying with every update seems to be higher on the priority list), stuff is moving forward. Performance is getting better, and is seeing a really big jump right now thanks to the various works of ProfMobius (the guy who made OPIS - he's starting to hack into some of the vanilla stuff and improve its performance now). In 1.8 (potentially in 1.7? Not sure) each dimension is going to be split into its own thread which will be a HUGE boost to performance. Like, if you split players on a server between different dimensions you could see performance triple. I expect to see a mod in the near future that reworks mob spawning and pathfinding for performance, as well.

Lots of mods being crammed together will probably always crash sometimes, but that's getting better too. The knowledge base is getting bigger just as people do more modding, and the Forge is continuing to move forward in demystifying a lot of the things that cause mods to crash when they interact.

The idea of a modding API is still kind of a joke. Even if Mojang released it tomorrow it would probably take a good year or more for it to approach the capabilities of Forge - at this point the modding community would be better served by Mojang just working on improving performance of the base game and cleaning up the particularly messy parts of the code. There are a lot of tools that Forge gives to modders that just don't exist in the base game in any real capacity - things like the fluid system, far superior inventory handling, and other more esoteric stuff that simply isn't in vanilla MC. Providing closer access to the the base game via an API wouldn't give those things, because they don't even exist there.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Do some mods increase the rate of armored mobs? I know 1.6 introduced that bullshit inhabited chunk difficulty curve, but I'm playing on easy so only 7.5% of mobs should have armor. At this point though it seems more like 75%, and most of it is Mekanism armor (osmium, glowstone, and lapis). I can't find any documentation of that being a 'feature' of Mekanism though. I am finding armored zombies in places I've never been to, also, so I don't think it's 1.6's punishment for living in the same place for more than a little while.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Taffer posted:

The idea of a modding API is still kind of a joke. Even if Mojang released it tomorrow it would probably take a good year or more for it to approach the capabilities of Forge - at this point the modding community would be better served by Mojang just working on improving performance of the base game and cleaning up the particularly messy parts of the code. There are a lot of tools that Forge gives to modders that just don't exist in the base game in any real capacity - things like the fluid system, far superior inventory handling, and other more esoteric stuff that simply isn't in vanilla MC. Providing closer access to the the base game via an API wouldn't give those things, because they don't even exist there.

Forge basically *is* the modding API. It'd be pretty neat if Mojang worked with the Forge devs to integrate it into the base game as the promised API, like they did with the horses. Less work for them, existing mods continue to work without (much) modification, community happy, etc. It seems almost too sensible, so I'm probably missing something.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

SamDabbers posted:

Forge basically *is* the modding API. It'd be pretty neat if Mojang worked with the Forge devs to integrate it into the base game as the promised API, like they did with the horses. Less work for them, existing mods continue to work without (much) modification, community happy, etc. It seems almost too sensible, so I'm probably missing something.

Maybe that's what made the EULA change. Doesn't it say that Mojang owns all mods?

"Hey look, a ready made modding API. Yoink."

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Maybe that's what made the EULA change. Doesn't it say that Mojang owns all mods?

This is the best thing that could happen. In terms of Mojang releasing a mod API.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

If they let the community continue to work on it, this would actually be a cool thing.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

Mostly because the devs have this plan for how the game will be structured in the future. They want to detach the game from the engine and break everything up into various plugins. So they are working hard on making mass improvements to the engine to make it more robust and stable and the Plugin API will sit on top of the engine directly and talk to the game's plugins. The main game will be broken into plugins, so world generation would be one plugin, mobs would be another plugin (in the minecon talk in 2012 when they were talking about this, they gave the example that if you don't want the game to include creepers, just unload the plugin for them). Eventually updates will be also broken into plugins so that if certain parts of a patch piss you off, you won't have to load them and can still "update" your game. It is all still pretty vague, but it is a system I've seen work in other games.

So that is the big issue, they are not making a modding api, but a plugin api, and in a lot of ways it is a lot better this way. The devs were asked about bukkit and forge in regards to the plugin API and Dinnerbone committed that the way they plan to design the plugin api, those two could do some internal changes and plug into the base plugin api, expanding its functions. So you get the API solution that Mojang is planning as well as still getting the more specialized hooks that Forge provides. This sounds like a better solution than just having Mojang adapt Forge because it allows the modding community to still introduce hooks that the vanilla API may be lacking because of how specialized they are. Of course, I'm of the mind that Forge is a great hook library, but in terms of standard functions of a full API, eh it is lacking.

VVVVV

The fact that Searge was hired specifically to help Grum patch up the rest of the engine and get the API into shape is good news. We got Jeb and Dinnerbone working on content and bugs, Grum and Searge working on the engine, API and more engine related bugs, and Ryan working on the rendering engine and what not giving that a overhaul. Pretty good setup it seems.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 13, 2013

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

^^^^^^ Well said.

Forge wouldn't exist without MCP and Mojang hired the author of MCP so I think they're taking the right direction.

fondue fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 13, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That all sounds very nice, but this is Mojang we're talking about here. I would be shocked if they managed to even partially complete that plan is less than 3 years.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Taffer posted:

That all sounds very nice, but this is Mojang we're talking about here. I would be shocked if they managed to even partially complete that plan is less than 3 years.

Oh probably, Dinnerbone wouldn't even comment on if to expect the API in 2015 (but honestly, after the goals and seeing the fanbase for Starbound poo poo itself over dates, I am not surprised they are giving any date indications). I do hope that Searge kind of lights a fire under everyone's pants when he moves to Sweden.. next month I think? I know Grum is pretty slow, but that is because he takes poo poo a bit seriously and is very methodical of how he does things, but he has made some great improvements to the game so it pays off in the end.

Honestly I'd rather have an API later that is done even somewhat remotely right than something released next year that isn't as nearly robust as what they would like to do. Because in the meantime they are going to continue to make these sweeping changes to the game's engine that, while a pain in the rear end to adapt to, in the end actually helps modding out a bit (the splitting worlds between separate threads for example is going to do wonders for servers running mods like Twilight Forest).

Also Taffer, you are right, we are probably looking at 1.8 for the multi-threading for worlds as 1.7.4 seems to wrap up the 1.7 patches and they are about a month in 1.8's development at this time.

Also, Jeb has apparently been playing a poo poo ton of survival in order to figure out where it is broken and what needs to be drastically fixed and improved. He said that taking a few weeks to just play the game has not only given him a ton of ideas, but has actually revitalized his excitement and drive for being the game's lead dev (it was getting a bit obvious that Jeb was burning out on the game, seems to have turn around.. think that honeymoon/world tour thing he did helped a lot), so maybe that will help a bit with development since everything has to go through him first.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So before leaving for the holidays I thought I'd finish making a modpack but I'm still kind of confused.

My modpack is a bunch of modss for 1.5.2.
The technic guide seems to just say "dump everything in the right folders and it'll all be alright". The guide I actually followed explicitly about resolving conflicts between multiple modpacks says to look in your .minecraft folder for the mod's config file.
But when I right click on the instance I made, I'm not taken to a .minecraft folder and I cannot find anything resembling a config file. What should I be doing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If only it could somehow be arranged for Jeb to play on the Toast server. I'm sure he could get quite a few ideas from that! Especially considering they own the toast pack now I guess

• Locked thread