Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen a few 919 blades in person and they truly are monstrously large, like verging on busa big. And it all just seems to be hollow volumes of plastic for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I should maybe reevaluate my "420 wash biek nevery day" position.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I cannot unsee Crow from MST3k since it was brought up last page.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

I should maybe reevaluate my "420 wash biek nevery day" position.

Yeah, you need to at least wipe down the headlight(s) once in a while and sometimes the number plate so you don't get pulled over.

420 clean bike to bare-minimum functionality someofthe days.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

edit: already posted nevermind

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It was a little muddy this morning, this was after a few water crossings to clean the mud out of my tires.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

It's got an outrageous decal kit on it and parts are falling off always and I love it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah, you need to at least wipe down the headlight(s) once in a while and sometimes the number plate so you don't get pulled over.

420 clean bike to bare-minimum functionality someofthe days.

You get pulled over for that? Well, there goes my master plan of never cleaning the plate...

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 6, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

You get pulled over for that? Well, theres goes my master plan of never cleaning the plate...

I rode around with my bike looking like this for a couple days. Did get hassled by private security at the place I was riding though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I rode around with my bike looking like this for a couple days. Did get hassled by private security at the place I was riding though.

Ah the always popular DRZ zip-tie license plate holder. The only way to go if you don't want the drat thing to vibrate itself off or to pieces.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ah the always popular DRZ zip-tie license plate holder. The only way to go if you don't want the drat thing to vibrate itself off or to pieces.

I carry a package of zip ties just to replace the ones that are cut when the plate cuts through the old ties like a crappy jigsaw. I think my mechanic finally got tired of how ghetto it was because he gave me a license plate holder... that he zip tied on haha.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I carry a package of zip ties just to replace the ones that are cut when the plate cuts through the old ties like a crappy jigsaw. I think my mechanic finally got tired of how ghetto it was because he gave me a license plate holder... that he zip tied on haha.

On my last trip to the shop mine similarly took pity and replaced the zipties holding some of my panels on. But I had to show him the ones holding my brake fluid container together so he could get a screw for that too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've seen a few 919 blades in person and they truly are monstrously large, like verging on busa big. And it all just seems to be hollow volumes of plastic for whatever reason.

Most of it was due to massive airboxes making the tank comically huge, add in massively over-engineered perimeter frames and you kind of have to make the main fairings huge to stop it all looking ridiculous.

Some people say that those ultra-wide 90s tanks are actually better on the track, making it easier to hang off, but I don't see any race teams strapping space hoppers to their tanks to help.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some people say that those ultra-wide 90s tanks are actually better on the track, making it easier to hang off, but I don't see any race teams strapping space hoppers to their tanks to help.

Good for larger people and/or newer track riders. Pros are generally smaller and/or much more experienced with the technique, adding things to the bike would just add weight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Friday afternoon, best ride home from work ever. I like having not-hosed tyres.

yes I have giant chicken strips it's been three days gimme a break.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm pretty sure my chicken strips are bigger. I'm a giant babby on the street.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Those are giant? Mine are about the same size and I thought I was doing pretty well for someone who doesn't want to go too crazy on the street.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just went for a two hour ride and it feels like someone has beaten the poo poo out of me. The last 10km's to my intended turn-around point were torture and I had to slow down because my muscles just weren't working properly anymore.

I'm out of shape :(

That being said, I managed to do this in just over half an hour without once being on a motorway, country roads all the way.
http://goo.gl/maps/zj5rZ

I'm happy.

edit: vvvvv thanks bud

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 14, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Link button on the upper right corner of the left sidebar.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Z3n posted:

I'm pretty sure my chicken strips are bigger. I'm a giant babby on the street.

I hate chicken strip peen measuring. Unless you're tracking the bike on your street tires, there's no reason to have worn off your strips entirely. You pretty much have to be riding way too aggressively or doing gymkhana in parking lots.

But maybe I'm just saying that because I mostly commute and never really have a reason for draggin' knee, so my strips are shameful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LifeSizePotato posted:

I hate chicken strip peen measuring. Unless you're tracking the bike on your street tires, there's no reason to have worn off your strips entirely. You pretty much have to be riding way too aggressively or doing gymkhana in parking lots.

But maybe I'm just saying that because I mostly commute and never really have a reason for draggin' knee, so my strips are shameful.

Knee drag point is a lot further past losing your strips than you think at first. :v:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Knee drag point is a lot further past losing your strips than you think at first. :v:

Huh? Do you mean it takes more lean angle or less than you would think?

Edit: I've never dragged knee but I'm pretty good at wearing my tire in all the way to each side. I like to tease my friend who lives down the street and keeps his bike in my garage about how shameful his strips are in comparison.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 14, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Huh? Do you mean it takes more lean angle or less than you would think?

Edit: I've never dragged knee but I'm pretty good at wearing my tire in all the way to each side. I like to tease my friend who lives down the street and keeps his bike in my garage about how shameful his strips are in comparison.

More. A lot more. Being scrubbed to the edge doesn't mean you're out of lean angle at all.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I guess you can also scrub your tires on the street with bad form. Lots of counterlean to keep the bike over further than you need.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

BlackMK4 posted:

Not necessarily, I've had knee down at Mt. Glorious plenty with a good 10 - 15mm left on my strips.

Heck, I've had elbow down around the sweepers there because I wanted to see if I could do it and still had 4mm left on my chicken strips.

e: admittedly for the second one I was leaning further off the bike than I probably needed to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are you seriously tall or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't feel like I've ever been close to dragging my knee. Today I just felt like the bike can put down way more power in a corner, with more lean angle, than I did at all. The state of the tyres make me think this too. And I was pushing basically as hard as I ever have, on any bike, yet I still feel like I could safely go a fair bit faster and that my ability still holds me back. That being said, a couple of times on off-camber sharp hillside bends it felt like the bike was loving horizontal.

Also the first time in my life when I've felt like I can truly rely on the tyres to stick to the road and the bike to not crash me, probably because every bike I've ever owned has had either semi-suspect suspension or lovely tyres.

Was just an incredibly satisfying ride, as far as individual rides go. I feel many, many times more confident of the bike and of myself, I feel like I've finally shaken my tyre/suspension paranoia that started with my SV.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

BlackMK4 posted:

Are you seriously tall or something?

6"1

Slavvy posted:

I don't feel like I've ever been close to dragging my knee. Today I just felt like the bike can put down way more power in a corner, with more lean angle, than I did at all. The state of the tyres make me think this too. And I was pushing basically as hard as I ever have, on any bike, yet I still feel like I could safely go a fair bit faster and that my ability still holds me back. That being said, a couple of times on off-camber sharp hillside bends it felt like the bike was loving horizontal.

Also the first time in my life when I've felt like I can truly rely on the tyres to stick to the road and the bike to not crash me, probably because every bike I've ever owned has had either semi-suspect suspension or lovely tyres.

Was just an incredibly satisfying ride, as far as individual rides go. I feel many, many times more confident of the bike and of myself, I feel like I've finally shaken my tyre/suspension paranoia that started with my SV.

I really enjoy corners, I actually go faster through them than the straights leading to/from them. Line it up, throw it in and power on. I like to keep the bike as upright as I can most of the time if I'm hitting up some twisties. One of my friends who followed me said he couldn't understand how I went through the corners so quick and then described it as "You just sort of throw your shoulder into it and go through." I just trust the tyres are going to stick and I know the bike can do it.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 14, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

6"1

I really enjoy corners, I actually go faster through them than the straights leading to/from them. Line it up, throw it in and power on. I like to keep the bike as upright as I can most of the time if I'm hitting up some twisties. One of my friends who followed me said he couldn't understand how I went through the corners so quick and then described it as "You just sort of throw your shoulder into it and go through." I just trust the tyres are going to stick and I know the bike can do it.

This is something I've always known to be intellectually true but could never convince my lizard brain of the fact, until today.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can drag knee at quick but still safe street pace with the right body position. Most people just don't hang off in a way that makes that possible, amd at that point you're just doing it to get some knee anyways. Hell you can do it while pulling u turns in a parking lot.

The bike in my avy has a pretty low seat height and pegs but it's really not leaned over much at all.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

You can drag knee at quick but still safe street pace with the right body position. Most people just don't hang off in a way that makes that possible, amd at that point you're just doing it to get some knee anyways. Hell you can do it while pulling u turns in a parking lot.

The bike in my avy has a pretty low seat height and pegs but it's really not leaned over much at all.

I can't imagine that being very safe since at that point the bike isn't nearly as stable at lower speeds and you're monkeying around it... a good bump and whoops there went a shitload of input / off you go.

Or maybe I'm just really short. I've only touched knee on the street once - I ride harder I should but I still hold way back on corner speed; track is knee drag without even trying to do it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 14, 2013

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Is there any kind of device that attaches to your bike and tells you what lean angle you're attaining? Doesn't seem like it would be all that useful beyond being interesting to see "Oh, it felt like I was horizontal but I actually had another 20 degrees if I wanted it."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think the general rule is that if you're on a modern sportsbike, you can lean the bike over more and stop worrying. If you're on a normal bike, those touch the ground.

My bike came with a hosed one of these on the rear:

And the lines were actually pretty optimistic, you could wear even part of the elephant without being all that leaned over.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Different makes and models of tyres make a big difference too. On my RS125, which was the only bike I was ever confident enough on to really seriously explore its limits (and know I still wasn't getting anywhere near them) I had the OE tyres all the way scrubbed, but the BT96s I replaced them with (which were far more grippy and inspired me to lean the bike way, way further) still had a good cm of strip on the back and twice that on the front, because they're profiled much more sharply.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

Is there any kind of device that attaches to your bike and tells you what lean angle you're attaining? Doesn't seem like it would be all that useful beyond being interesting to see "Oh, it felt like I was horizontal but I actually had another 20 degrees if I wanted it."

Your knee? :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Your knee? :v:

This is the real answer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

I think the general rule is that if you're on a modern sportsbike, you can lean the bike over more and stop worrying. If you're on a normal bike, those touch the ground.

My bike came with a hosed one of these on the rear:

And the lines were actually pretty optimistic, you could wear even part of the elephant without being all that leaned over.

Can you explain the elephant?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
It's Metzeler's logo

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Slavvy posted:

Those hit the ground anytime I'm having fun and I've got an inch strip on either side of my tires. For a while I was worried about people giving me poo poo. Then I realized people love VFR's and even if I only ever went in a straight line all I'll ever get is "Cool bike dude! I used to have one of those! I never should've sold it! Best bike ever!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It depends on the bike, really. My SV would constantly scrape pegs because the suspension would bottom out at the slightest hint of a mid-corner dip, I didn't have to be very leaned over for it to happen. Generally sportier bikes have the pegs higher and further back so it's harder to do...not that it's really the goal anyway.