Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

omgomgomg posted:

How can Bret be on such good terms with the WWE after the screwjob and everything they did with Owen?

To throw in on top of what everyone else has said, I dare say that Vince and Bret may actually like each other personally as well. Bret's book was written at a time when he was fully disgusted by the E and Vince, but he still goes out of his way to paint a fair portrait of the man, more or less. Vince calling him in the hospital after his stroke was something he certainly didn't have to do either for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

he 'buried the hatchet' on live TV with Shawn - which both men claim is legitimate.

And can I just say how weird it was to see behind-the-scenes stuff from WrestleMania and from their DVD where the two of them are just casually chatting and laughing like one didn't spend fourteen years hating the other?

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Can anyone track down that interview Cena did where he said "You'll never be able to prove I do steroids, but you can't prove I don't :smug:" or something?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was really deceptively edited, and when WWE posted the whole clip with the full context, it's not at all what he said.

At least that's how I remember it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I believe the meaning of what he said is "I don't do steroids, you can't prove I do and can't prove I don't, so you'll never believe me when I say I am clean."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It was really poor word choice on his part since he should have realized they'd be chopping up whatever he said, but he can't really be blamed for that. His basic point was 'nobody really has proof either way and everyone likes to think of wrestlers as roided up goons, soooo'

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
http://www.wwe.com/inside/cenaoncnnvideo

It's kind of hilarious.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

Currently, the phrase "unbelievably gorgeous" links to a picture of Rybaxel. :v:

Hahahaha, now it's Roman Reigns. :allears:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Red posted:

Q: I feel like Fake Diesel was actually somewhat protected, whereas fake Razor looked like a total jobber out there. Fake Diesel was actually in the final five of the '97 Royal Rumble, if I remember right. Is that true, or am I mis-remembering? Jacobs got several tries at various roles until he became Kane, so maybe they really wanted Jacobs to do something. Then again, I've read a lot that suggests the only real purpose of Fake Razor and Diesel was to prove they legally had a purpose to retaining the characters of employees who'd left the company.

No, you're right. Fake Diesel actually got 3rd place in that Rumble and the storyline reason why nobody ever talked about it was that Bret eliminated him and not Austin, so he wasn't technically screwed over. Meanwhile, Fake Razor was both the first elimination and the quickest.

quote:

Q: On air, has the WWF/E ever acknowledged that Jerry Lawler and Honky Tonk Man are related? If no, does Lawler even make inside comments re: HTM when he's appeared?

Pretty much. Lawler reacted to HTM the same way he reacted to Brian Christopher matches. Complete enthusiasm with strong hints that they were family. HTM was in Royal Rumble 98 and Lawler's commentary was on point.

"AH! My cous-- The Honky Tonk Man's in trouble!"

Or when he gets eliminated, Jim Ross goes, "And there goes Cousin Honky Tonk Man."

"The Honky Tonk Man is your cousin?!"

"...."

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

omgomgomg posted:

How can Bret be on such good terms with the WWE after the screwjob and everything they did with Owen?

Beating the poo poo out of Vince with a steel chair at Wrestlemania a few years back probably helped too. Seriously he must have hit him at least 25 times. It just went on and on and on.

edit: Okay maybe not 25 times. But it did go on for waaaaay too long.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 15, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gavok posted:

Pretty much. Lawler reacted to HTM the same way he reacted to Brian Christopher matches. Complete enthusiasm with strong hints that they were family. HTM was in Royal Rumble 98 and Lawler's commentary was on point.
My favorite is at the 2001 rumble when Lawler sings along with Honky Tonk's theme, then sounds completely shocked and betrayed when Kane brains him with the guitar.

Anyway -

what the gently caress is a coal miner's glove match? I was watching the Halloween Havoc botchamania and the bit where Sting spins the wheel and it lands on Coal Miner's Glove is hilarious because you can tell Sting, the commentators, and the crowd have no idea what the gently caress.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

My favorite is at the 2001 rumble when Lawler sings along with Honky Tonk's theme, then sounds completely shocked and betrayed when Kane brains him with the guitar.

Anyway -

what the gently caress is a coal miner's glove match? I was watching the Halloween Havoc botchamania and the bit where Sting spins the wheel and it lands on Coal Miner's Glove is hilarious because you can tell Sting, the commentators, and the crowd have no idea what the gently caress.

The Coal Miner's glove match was the specialty match of Dutch Savage. The idea was back in the West Virginia coal mines where he supposedly was from, the miners would settle their issues that way, with the loaded glove being the ultimate weapon used to end the fights. You get it, you hit your opponent, winner. They were a huge draw in Portland for Savage and like any successful idea it got copied. It was a huge flop in WCW because that match was horrible and the gimmick wasn't over in that area, so much so that the legend has grown WCW didn't gimmick the wheel. However, they did, that match was planned and it was not a good idea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

See, in that context it makes sense, but why on earth did they go with the gimmick match of a guy barely anybody in attendance knew anything about? Who had the book at the time?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has a tag team or stable ever started out on good terms, shown signs of tension/breakup, then worked things out without turning on each other (and without dropping the angle due to a de-push as the plot resolution)?

I want to say Hell No, but they didn't start out as getting along. Rhodes Scholars kind of did this before splitting later for a different reason, but their initial split was amicable.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Tokelau All Star posted:

Beating the poo poo out of Vince with a steel chair at Wrestlemania a few years back probably helped too. Seriously he must have hit him at least 25 times. It just went on and on and on.

edit: Okay maybe not 25 times. But it did go on for waaaaay too long.

Hell, that entire match is probably what did it. Vince literally got no offense in as Bret just beat the poo poo out of him. That could be because Bret is a stroke survivor and is in no condition to take a bump, but drat, Vince just took a loving beating.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That "match" was horrible and was more a good illustration that Bret isn't kidding when he says he's no longer medically cleared to work. Wailing on Vince with a chair was about what he could do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tzirean posted:

And can I just say how weird it was to see behind-the-scenes stuff from WrestleMania and from their DVD where the two of them are just casually chatting and laughing like one didn't spend fourteen years hating the other?

Both have said they were friends before their egos got in the way, so it's not so weird now that things are basically okay between them again.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

sticklefifer posted:

Has a tag team or stable ever started out on good terms, shown signs of tension/breakup, then worked things out without turning on each other (and without dropping the angle due to a de-push as the plot resolution)?

I'm sure this has happened on a few occasions but the first thing that comes to mind for me is when Owen and Bulldog were teasing a breakup but then Bret (in his evil manipulative heel way) got them to reconcile and this was the origin of the 97 Hart Foundation.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That "match" was horrible and was more a good illustration that Bret isn't kidding when he says he's no longer medically cleared to work. Wailing on Vince with a chair was about what he could do.

That seems like the major reason they had Heath Slater working with him during the whole Summerslam fiasco. Slater could bounce around like a ragdoll, and make Bret look decent.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Didn't Bret also hit the second rope elbow in the Vince match? I remember being gobsmacked he could manage that.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

Didn't Bret also hit the second rope elbow in the Vince match? I remember being gobsmacked he could manage that.

Bret's only stipulations during his matches were that he couldn't take any shots to the head/bumps that would risk giving him a concussion.

Which made some things look ridiculous - I remember at some point Batista ran in on RAW and immediately started punching Bret in the kidneys.

It was a joke among my friends that any "Keys To Victory" pre-match commentary should list "If you hit Bret in the head, he dies".

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I want to say Hell No, but they didn't start out as getting along. Rhodes Scholars kind of did this before splitting later for a different reason, but their initial split was amicable.

The Legacy teased breaking up a million billion times before they actually did.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ha, that's right. And that was after they changed the lineup because Sim Snuka and Manu didn't work out. Orton's face turn coming out of Legacy was so weird. Him being an egotistical dick was Legacy's problem the whole time, he does nothing face-ish whatsoever up to and including kissing a passed-out Stephanie that he just hit with a DDT, and his "turn" was beating up his stablemates while still not acting like a face and RKO'ing referees and guest Raw hosts. He was heel-leaning tweener at best, yet he was booked as the face in feuds from then on and people cheered him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I thought people were pretty much forced to cheer Orton because Rhodes/DiBiase were portrayed as incompetent spineless chumps when compared to Orton and who wants to cheer losers?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Basically. They had that one moment where Ted had enough and looked like he was going to deck Orton. Then he backed off and did nothing, and that would pretty much be the last time anyone gave a poo poo about Ted.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DeathChicken posted:

Basically. They had that one moment where Ted had enough and looked like he was going to deck Orton. Then he backed off and did nothing, and that would pretty much be the last time anyone gave a poo poo about Ted.

It's a shame he's got no charisma or interview skills - he seems like a really crisp worker.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Karmine posted:

Like a zillion times. People bring it up in promos or commentary all the time.

Ah. I should probably pay attention more often. Guess I've got brain problems!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

'95 MPro mask league against Dos Caras.

Thanks!

Justin Godscock posted:

Hell, that entire match is probably what did it. Vince literally got no offense in as Bret just beat the poo poo out of him. That could be because Bret is a stroke survivor and is in no condition to take a bump, but drat, Vince just took a loving beating.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Writer Cath posted:

That seems like the major reason they had Heath Slater working with him during the whole Summerslam fiasco. Slater could bounce around like a ragdoll, and make Bret look decent.

I heard that Bret wrestled exclusively with Slater at the time because Slater was considered "safe", in that there was little risk of him severely injuring Bret. Is this true? Any other wrestlers who are considered "safe" in this sense?

Q: Anybody in WWE (past or present) use the Shining Wizard move? It's supposed to be one of AJ's finishers, but I only remember seeing her use it in an NXT match a while back.

Q: Why doesn't Bryan use the Cattle Mutilation move anymore?

Q: Meltzer gave 4.5 stars for the Cena/Punk RAW match on 2/25/13 (they were fighting to see who would face the Rock at Wrestlemania, I think). Has Meltzer given star ratings for other non-PPV matches (WWE or otherwise)?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kane is pretty up there when talking about safe workers.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nick_326 posted:

He only used on a couple occasions in the WWE and it never finished a match to my knowledge. I don't think he's ever said why, but most indie guys get new finishers when they go to WWE and one of the most commonly hypothesized reasons in this case woudl be the difficulty of doing the CM to big guys.

quote:

Q: Meltzer gave 4.5 stars for the Cena/Punk RAW match on 2/25/13 (they were fighting to see who would face the Rock at Wrestlemania, I think). Has Meltzer given star ratings for other non-PPV matches (WWE or otherwise)?

Sure. Just like that one he'll occasionally give out star ratings for matches he thought were very good and worth noting. He gave **** for a tag match involving the Rhodes Brothers on Raw a month or so ago for example.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nick_326 posted:

Q: Anybody in WWE (past or present) use the Shining Wizard move? It's supposed to be one of AJ's finishers, but I only remember seeing her use it in an NXT match a while back.

Hurricane Helms used it, and Punk used to use it on occasion but I can't recall the last time I saw it.

I don't remember the source, but Bryan felt that the CM was impractical to do to big guys.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 15, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There was an interview where he said it doesn't play to cameras very well. Something about not being able to see anyone's facial expression during it, I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of MMA holds that smarks would like to see in MMA, but they're dumb ideas from a storytelling POV because the guy doing the move can't safely make it look more painful by wrenching it, and the guy taking the move can't express pain, can't reasonably power out of it, and can't work his way toward the ropes.

A good example is the crucifix neck crank, which I've seen a few times in Japanese matches. It ends up looking like a crucifix pin, because pulling on the guy's neck doesn't look like it hurts much, and pulling on his head will kill him.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

DeathChicken posted:

I also remember the Raw where Dusty guest hosted and it ended with Randy RKO'ing him. The crowd was BEGGING for Cody to do something and he just stood there like a tool looking sad. Such a waste.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

The Hardy Boyz had this in late 2001/early 2002. They were building up to Matt turning heel as he became more and more paranoid that Jeff and Lita were doing stuff behind his back. I don't think he outright attacked Jeff, but he did act like he was splitting and I recall him making Lita cry. Then a week or so later, they showed him at WWE New York during an episode of Raw. In said episode, Biker Undertaker messed with Jeff and Lita and threw both of them off the stage. It cut to Matt at the restaurant looking all, "JESUS CHRIST, WHAT THE gently caress?!" Then at the Royal Rumble, he and Jeff reunited to put the boots to Undertaker.

Rock and Sock Connection almost counts, since it was Mankind on good terms and Rock being Rock. This is actually one of my favorite character moments in wrestling. While they worked together, Rock was acting like a total jerk, constantly badmouthing Mankind because that's his thing. It started to go a little over the line and in Foley's second book he thought that it was only a matter of time before fans would start to turn on the Rock for being nothing but abusive (I started to not care for him myself at this time for the same reasons). When Foley's first book came out, he gave Rock an autographed copy. Rock didn't seem very enthusiastic about it, but took it anyway.

Later on, Mankind found the signed book in the garbage. He stormed into the dressing room and finally snapped at the Rock for being a gigantic piece of poo poo and the worst friend ever. Rock started out with his usual attitude, but was then taken aback when Mankind told him to shut up and listen to him for once. Mankind said that their partnership was over and he didn't even want to fight Rock over this. He simply wanted no part of him at all in any fashion.

Maybe two or three months later, the two crossed paths backstage and Mankind had gotten over everything. Mankind was pretty friendly and Rock gave him attitude over something he wrote about him in the book. After he was gone, Mankind realized that Rock did read his book after all. Then I think GTV revealed that Al Snow was the one who threw the book out because he was jealous of Mankind's partnership with the Rock. After that, Rock and Sock got back together.

I like to think of Foley as the soul of the Attitude Era. While everyone was a shades of gray bastard around this time, even Austin and Rock were redeemed for genuinely liking Mankind despite never admitting it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

even Austin and Rock were redeemed for genuinely liking Mankind despite never admitting it.

Austin admitted it! He gave him a Stone Cold Stunner to show how close they were!

Much better than being his enemy, then you might get a Stone Cold Stunner! :ohdear:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Austin admitted it! He gave him a Stone Cold Stunner to show how close they were!

Much better than being his enemy, then you might get a Stone Cold Stunner! :ohdear:

He also helped him win the world title. :)

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Nick_326 posted:

I remember he used it once on NXT. Matt Striker called the move and the announcers made fun of him for it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Happy Happyist posted:

I remember he used it once on NXT. Matt Striker called the move and the announcers made fun of him for it.

This also happened (Cattle Mutilation and taunting by Cole) at the WWE vs Nexus Summerslam match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

He also helped him win the world title. :)

Something I loving love about that run-in was that even though he was helping Mankind, his body language as he hauled him forward to cover Rock still managed to convey a kind of angry disgust towards Mankind in the process.

God I could watch that title win over and over again forever :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

The Hardy Boyz had this in late 2001/early 2002. They were building up to Matt turning heel as he became more and more paranoid that Jeff and Lita were doing stuff behind his back. I don't think he outright attacked Jeff, but he did act like he was splitting and I recall him making Lita cry. Then a week or so later, they showed him at WWE New York during an episode of Raw. In said episode, Biker Undertaker messed with Jeff and Lita and threw both of them off the stage. It cut to Matt at the restaurant looking all, "JESUS CHRIST, WHAT THE gently caress?!" Then at the Royal Rumble, he and Jeff reunited to put the boots to Undertaker.

Rock and Sock Connection almost counts, since it was Mankind on good terms and Rock being Rock. This is actually one of my favorite character moments in wrestling. While they worked together, Rock was acting like a total jerk, constantly badmouthing Mankind because that's his thing. It started to go a little over the line and in Foley's second book he thought that it was only a matter of time before fans would start to turn on the Rock for being nothing but abusive (I started to not care for him myself at this time for the same reasons). When Foley's first book came out, he gave Rock an autographed copy. Rock didn't seem very enthusiastic about it, but took it anyway.

Later on, Mankind found the signed book in the garbage. He stormed into the dressing room and finally snapped at the Rock for being a gigantic piece of poo poo and the worst friend ever. Rock started out with his usual attitude, but was then taken aback when Mankind told him to shut up and listen to him for once. Mankind said that their partnership was over and he didn't even want to fight Rock over this. He simply wanted no part of him at all in any fashion.

Maybe two or three months later, the two crossed paths backstage and Mankind had gotten over everything. Mankind was pretty friendly and Rock gave him attitude over something he wrote about him in the book. After he was gone, Mankind realized that Rock did read his book after all. Then I think GTV revealed that Al Snow was the one who threw the book out because he was jealous of Mankind's partnership with the Rock. After that, Rock and Sock got back together.

I like to think of Foley as the soul of the Attitude Era. While everyone was a shades of gray bastard around this time, even Austin and Rock were redeemed for genuinely liking Mankind despite never admitting it.

Mick's angry promo on Rock for being selfish still has me in awe. It might be the only time somebody's words left The Rock speechless.