Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Bonapartisan posted:

But diamonds! Sales people when my husband and I went to get my engagement ring a few years back first though I was joking and then baffled that I wanted a peridot instead of a diamond as my stone... because diamond, I guess.

Chocolate diamonds have got super popular in the last few years too. Frankly, I think they look pretty terrible.

I would probably blow their minds then because I hate the look of both diamonds AND gold. Silver all the way. But people always act like since I'm female I'm supposed to just instinctively drool over gold and diamond jewelry. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kimmalah posted:

I would probably blow their minds then because I hate the look of both diamonds AND gold. Silver all the way. But people always act like since I'm female I'm supposed to just instinctively drool over gold and diamond jewelry. :v:

I once worked with a lady who genuinely believed in that "three months' salary" bullshit and looked at me like I was Satan because I dared give my then-fiancee a sapphire instead of a ~*~diamond~*~ (never mind that she hates diamonds and likes sapphires and probably would be more upset if I wasted a lot of money on a ring).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

raditts posted:

I once worked with a lady who genuinely believed in that "three months' salary" bullshit and looked at me like I was Satan because I dared give my then-fiancee a sapphire instead of a ~*~diamond~*~ (never mind that she hates diamonds and likes sapphires and probably would be more upset if I wasted a lot of money on a ring).

Pick what your fiance will like at a price that is reasonable for both of you was the advice I got and got something pretty nice.

But yah the whole diamond industry is a scam.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
That loving boot commercial where the guy is filming the city workers who "boxed" their truck in with poles. gently caress me his laugh is so goddamned forced and awkward to me.

HEH HEH HEH WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD GUYS HEH EH EH

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just go on Etsy or something and commission someone to make you a ring. You get something pretty and personal for a fraction of the cost and with your money going to an independent artist instead of the De Beers International Price-Fixing & African Death Empire.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

I got a lot of poo poo last week because I said I would never spend 10,000 on a wedding.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Why do most dental commercials treat a dentist appointment like a test that you want to get good marks on? Like, that's the reason to brush your teeth, not so your mouth doesn't rot?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The best Lexus advert is the one in the DVD extras of the Adam Sandler movie Anger Management. Early in the movie there is a scene where Jack Nicholson's character's car is boxed in by a Lexus. His response is to break the window and take off the handbrake, and gently roll it out of the way... and off of the roof of the thirty storey parking garage. Whoops.

One of the extras on the DVD is a quiz on the healthy ways to handle an issue. Examples are taken from the movie. One such example is:

What should you do when a neighbor tells you you are being too loud. Should you:
A: Apologise, and promise to be quieter in the future.
B: Yell, "Eat poo poo and die!" at the top of your lungs.
C: Make a vulgar gesture.
D: Destroy his Lexus.

Every question works in the Lexus joke, in more and more elaborate ways. One of my favourites is "Find out if he has a Lexus; if not, buy him one, then destroy it."

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That GIVE A GIVE A GIVE A GARMIN radio ad always comes up at Christmas and I hate it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aren't stand-alone GPS units kind of obsolete in an age where almost everyone has a cell phone and a data plan?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

raditts posted:

Aren't stand-alone GPS units kind of obsolete in an age where almost everyone has a cell phone and a data plan?

Not for pilots, who is traditionally Garmin's main market. It's only within the last 5 years or so that they branched out into road navigation GPS. I think it's basically a case of "we already have the data and it's not much more R&D to add this product line". It's probably more about increasing brand recognition than selling the road GPS itself.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

I hate the message that the commercial with the man on the swingset with the child sends. It's basically saying, "Not even kids are immune from shiny jewelry."

He gave her a loving Open Hearts necklace.
My wife pointed out to me a few years back that "It looks like a symbol of tits & rear end"

Meltathon posted:

Are chocolate diamonds just trying to market really lovely diamonds?

Technically they are flawed diamonds, but throw up a slick marketing term like 'chocolate diamonds' and people are glad they're blowing hundreds of bucks on a brown diamond.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

He gave her a loving Open Hearts necklace.
My wife pointed out to me a few years back that "It looks like a symbol of tits & rear end"

Same here, my wife has called them the "boobs and butt necklace" since they first came out.
I used to love those commercials where she would have a bunch of canvases with this stupid symbol painted on them as though she had to go through hundreds of revisions to get it just right.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea she should have subcontracted that job out to the Lexus Bow Makers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Not for pilots, who is traditionally Garmin's main market. It's only within the last 5 years or so that they branched out into road navigation GPS. I think it's basically a case of "we already have the data and it's not much more R&D to add this product line". It's probably more about increasing brand recognition than selling the road GPS itself.

Also cyclists use Garmins quite a bit to track their rides. Plus some people just want a GPS unit that they can leave in their car, but I imagine the car market is every shrinking.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I dunno about droid phones, but the default maps app for iOS sucks rear end, at least in a turn by turn navigation sense. But hen there is poo poo like waze, which is free, has voice directions, takes voice commands, and features a bunch lf crowdsourced features, so you can see traffic reports or accidents and even cops lying in wait, assuming some one else spotted them and tagged them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Until the entire country is covered in cell service, GPS devices like that will still be somewhat useful since they keep all the maps on the device, while phones need to download them. Once that happens, however, they'll be much more niche.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

We're willing to bet no kid ever grew up with a poster of a Passat on his bedroom wall.

Dodge Charger*

*No kid ever had a poster of the 4 door version of this car either, just the much cooler version that was made 45 years ago that has no relation to the product we're advertising today

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I don't know why everyone hates that totes adorbs commercial. I just love the disdain in their voices.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I don't know about your phone, but using the GPS on mine drains the battery faster than anything else. I actually got lost last year in Indiana after missing an exit and had to sit in a gas station charging my phone enough to continue, not fun. Also means I can't use my phone as a phone while I'm using it to navigate, which is problematic for my job.

The short version: there is still enough reason to have a dedicated GPS, at least for someone like me.

That said, that commercial is obnoxious.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

Not when A) you're using the phone for audio streaming and B) you picked up a unit with a lifetime sub.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't know about your phone, but using the GPS on mine drains the battery faster than anything else. I actually got lost last year in Indiana after missing an exit and had to sit in a gas station charging my phone enough to continue, not fun. Also means I can't use my phone as a phone while I'm using it to navigate, which is problematic for my job.

The short version: there is still enough reason to have a dedicated GPS, at least for someone like me.

That said, that commercial is obnoxious.

I got your power problem covered:

As for the second, well... you shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving :colbert:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

As for the second, well... you shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving :colbert:

Someone said it earlier, you can't use both while streaming audio. I actually have a USB hub in the car, but it charges slower than the phone drains while using the GPS app. I fully acknowledge that my phone is a piece of poo poo, I'm replacing it when my contract is up in a few months.

As for using the phone while driving, that's why I drive a Ford. Sync and full voice control ftw :colbert: It just overrides the phone entirely so closes the GPS app and I DEFINITELY shouldn't be trying to set that back up while driving.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

raditts posted:

I have a flip phone. :smith:

All it's good for is calls and texting. It has a lovely camera, too.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Wojtek posted:

I don't know why everyone hates that totes adorbs commercial. I just love the disdain in their voices.

It's a good commercial. It's an extremely, extremely rare example of a commercial taking an obnoxious conversation and making it funny. 99.999% of the time it's the other way around.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

404GoonNotFound posted:

Not when A) you're using the phone for audio streaming and B) you picked up a unit with a lifetime sub.

My GPS unit supposedly had lifetime updates, but it turned out to be bullshit. I got like 3 years of updates but now costs like $100 for a new map update.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Not when A) you're using the phone for audio streaming

I have a not that great Android phone and it can do both. Its not great if you're making a bunch of turns but for long distance trips it works just fine.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wojtek posted:

I really like those too. I love the one that ends with McDowell giving the sinister "You made me this way."

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I do enjoy hearing James Earl Jones intone "Totes McGotes". (At least the first thousand times it aired)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah the disdain their voices is wonderful. Its the only good thing about those commercials.

Also you should be on the phone when driving, period. Handsfree or no, if its so important, pull over, goddamnit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Gazelle.com. It is a website. :downs:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

There's an ad that's been on Hulu a lot recently with a woman making toast in her kitchen and then for some goddamn reason she starts eating the toast or boring-rear end sandwich with her boyfriend and takes a loving selfie of them eating it and uploads it to Instagram. I think it's for kitchen appliances but it makes me so angry that I can't remember what it's even for.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Gazelle.com. It is a website. :downs:
Is this with the guy in the vest who has the most punchable face in history?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Someone said it earlier, you can't use both while streaming audio.

Yeah you can, I do it constantly.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah you can, I do it constantly.

Perhaps your phone can, but don't assume that means everyone's does. For some reason mine overrides the audio and all that comes through my sync is the directions.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Wojtek posted:

Is this with the guy in the vest who has the most punchable face in history?

Speaking of punchable faces, how about the chef in the applebees spirited cuisine commercials?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wojtek posted:

I love it too. I was talking about it with some friends and we agreed that it would not at all be surprising to see a character named Totes Magotes in the next Star Wars movie.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Perhaps your phone can, but don't assume that means everyone's does. For some reason mine overrides the audio and all that comes through my sync is the directions.

Sounds like it's an issue with Sync, not your phone. Pretty much every phone that's been sold on the market in the past 3-4 years should be able to output multiple audio streams to A2DP. Sounds like Sync is not using standard A2DP and is doing something else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

I stream music off Slacker and use Google Maps at the same time on long road trips all the time. GMaps just pauses the audio stream when it needs to say something and then resumes when it's done. ~*~technology~*~

As far as battery power, that's what cigarette lighter power adapters are for.

I guess if you already have a standalone GPS and a lifetime sub then no reason not to use it, just that I got one for Christmas one year and having to go through like 3 menus to put in where you want to go does not at all measure up to just telling Google "navigate me home."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Serious question: how often do people actually use GPS for getting around? I've personally never needed to. Even long distance or in new places. Study a map beforehand and that's that.