Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
There's chunks of coconut still floating in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Picked up some Half Acre Big Hugs last night. Really solid beer,and 2012 is drinking amazing right now.
Way better than the barrel aged abomination they were pouring at FOBAB.
Also got some Quakerbridge. It's definitely an AMERICAN barleywine, crazy hoppy fresh. we're talking double IPA levels. Definitely going to sit on a bottle to let them fade a bit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Uuudar posted:

There's chunks of coconut still floating in it

That's not enough. Next time GI needs to get their poo poo together and actually sell the beer in coconut shells.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Drank some good stuff tonight, starting with two TH growlers from Hatful!

Cosmic Slop: Dear god this beer owns. Like, holy loving poo poo. It's a citrus fueled IPA with even more citrus actually in it, and it has a very strong lime character that lasts throughout the palate, unlike anything I can remember trying. This is one of my favorite IPAs ever, and probably my second or third favorite TH beer ever.

Treaded Options: A weird saison with elderflowers aged on blackberries, a very strong herbal note with some berry tartness in the mid-palate, I didn't like it, then it grew on me, and then I didn't like it again by the end. It was not a terrible beer but it's rough to get down.

I have successfully provided the Tired Hands Experience™. That is, one amazing beer and one where you just keep looking at your glass and thinking "I'm not sure if I like this or not" but you finish the whole thing anyway.

Cosmic Slop is ridiculous. It was their 200th batch celebration beer. The bartender I talked to described it as The Light That Spills Out Of The Hole In Your Head on crack. There is so much citrus in that beer. It's also insanely smooth for a DIPA with almost no bitterness. I'm glad you liked it as much as I did.

Sorry about Treaded Options. I actually liked that one. It hit a lot of interesting notes for me.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I was pissed I missed Cosmic Slop last time I was there.... they just kicked a keg of it, and it wasn't available, and nothing was on cask that night.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Novare Res. Don't even think about the bill, go nuts and enjoy yourself.

For reference here was the draught menu at Novare Res the other day:

Add to that the huge bottle menu too of course.

The Beer That Saved Christmas and De La Senne's xmas beer were both major successes in my book. Dry, malty, just a bit of funk. That and they had elk tacos and lobster & corn gnocchi, and overall I would die happy if I lived near this place. Among the best I've been to for Belgian stuff anyway.

Outside of In'finiti most of the beer I had from newer ME breweries wasn't very good. I love Maine Beer Co to bits, but.

In the same area as In'finity and Novare there's Gritty McDuff's, which is worth going to more for atmosphere and history than knockout beer I'd reckon. I liked their cask bitter. People also have good things to say about The Great Lost Bear but I didn't make it there.

Also made a quick dash by Allagash but it's not reeeeeeaaallly worth going there if you're hoping they have special beer there or whatnot. Go there if you like tours tho. If I had more time I'd hit up Maine Beer Co up in Freeport to see what's going on over there.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter back on the shelves, one of my favorite seasonals and definitely my favorite of their beers. Hope to god they've fixed their infections issues, I haven't heard of any problems with their 6 packs in the past 6-9 months.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Retemnav posted:

Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter back on the shelves, one of my favorite seasonals and definitely my favorite of their beers. Hope to god they've fixed their infections issues, I haven't heard of any problems with their 6 packs in the past 6-9 months.

Probably because by now everyone has learned to skip it and not gamble.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Vertigo posted:

I was pissed I missed Cosmic Slop last time I was there.... they just kicked a keg of it, and it wasn't available, and nothing was on cask that night.

Casks go on Friday and last until they're kicked. The better casks barely make it through the weekend. It's worth considering that if you're planning on making a trip out to TH.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

crazyfish posted:

In truth, most of what they make isn't infected. In fact, much of it is so high in ABV that it really can't be infected, and a lot of what they make is actually pretty delicious. But this year's WC is so far off what I can even comprehend someone wanting a white chocolate flavoured wheatwine to taste like I can't help but wonder what the gently caress is going through Mr. Rue's mind when he decided to not only release the beer as it was but continue to sell it after people (justifiably) complained about how awful it is.

edit: I really can't imagine how white oak sap can get as tart as it was without being severely infected.

edit 2: Me and two other people killed a brandy Bois with no issues. It was loving delicious but loving hell was that beer rich.

I just don't find it likely that it was fine leaving the Bruery and then severely infected less than a week later, particularly given the amount of time the beer had already been sitting around the brewery itself. I guess I just have less faith that everything Rue makes turns to gold than some people, because I've found a lot of the expensive bottled offerings to be off. To wit, I don't really know why someone would want a beer to taste like Melange No. 3, either.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

To wit, I don't really know why someone would want a beer to taste like Melange No. 3, either.

Funny. As Resident Bruery Hater (TM), Melange 3 is probably the only non-sour they've ever made that I really like...

Awesome place, though I agree that if you want to really dig into their cellar, you need to leave your budget at home.

Hassler, I assume since you didn't mention it that you didn't swing by Ebenezer's while you were in the area? When I was in Portland last year, I
didn't want to drag my siblings out that far to hit a bar but if I ever end up in the region again, I'm definitely hitting it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I think there's a bottle of White Oak that's been in my fridge for about 2 years if not more. I haven't bought a Bruery non-sour since Cuir, I think. I'd looooove to see more Marron Acidifie, though.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Local option is doing another crazy taplist on Friday - http://localoptionbier.com/2013/12/16/winter-war-beer-event-122013/

Given all the Bourbon County hype, it's probably going to be one of the worst poo poo shows they've had this year. I'd like to go, but I have too much going on Friday.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 18, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Local option is doing another crazy taplist on Friday - http://localoptionbier.com/2013/12/16/winter-war-beer-event-122013/

Given all the Bourbon County hype, it's probably going to be one of the worst poo poo shows they've had this year. I'd like to go, but I have too much going on Friday.

There is absolutely nothing on that list that will make me brave that shitshow.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

Probably because by now everyone has learned to skip it and not gamble.

No, I know lots of people that still drink DR and haven't had a problem with any of the recent batches.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Retemnav posted:

No, I know lots of people that still drink DR and haven't had a problem with any of the recent batches.

My BIF bottle was fine

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I just don't find it likely that it was fine leaving the Bruery and then severely infected less than a week later, particularly given the amount of time the beer had already been sitting around the brewery itself. I guess I just have less faith that everything Rue makes turns to gold than some people, because I've found a lot of the expensive bottled offerings to be off. To wit, I don't really know why someone would want a beer to taste like Melange No. 3, either.

Infected or not, something about this year's White Chocolate is extremely wrong and either never should have been released or taken off the market later. And for the record, I love the newer batches of the anniversary beers (they are monsters though) as well as Melange #3.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
For the Chicagoon bottle share, I decided to not bring Mango Magnifico (drank it last Friday, not terrible!), so I'm down to Velvet Merkin and....that's it. My cellar of beers is pretty much non-existent and I don't want to bring something lovely, or something that everyone has had before. I'm going to be in Central IL next week so I'm going to look for something unique at the Friar Tucks/Binny's/local bottle shops there. I guess a better question, how much are all of you bringing to share? One bomber? Two?

The Binny's by me got in Permanent Funeral and Lagunitas Sucks, going to swing by there on my way home and pick up those two. I'm also going to be picking up some New Glarus this weekend since I'll be in Wisconsin, then I'm off for the next two weeks. Going to drink a lot of tasty brews, can't wait.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

americanzero4128 posted:

For the Chicagoon bottle share, I decided to not bring Mango Magnifico (drank it last Friday, not terrible!), so I'm down to Velvet Merkin and....that's it. My cellar of beers is pretty much non-existent and I don't want to bring something lovely, or something that everyone has had before. I'm going to be in Central IL next week so I'm going to look for something unique at the Friar Tucks/Binny's/local bottle shops there. I guess a better question, how much are all of you bringing to share? One bomber? Two?

The Binny's by me got in Permanent Funeral and Lagunitas Sucks, going to swing by there on my way home and pick up those two. I'm also going to be picking up some New Glarus this weekend since I'll be in Wisconsin, then I'm off for the next two weeks. Going to drink a lot of tasty brews, can't wait.

Try to supply 2 bombers and/or the equivalent. Depending on where you're going to be in central IL, things to look out for would be Alesmith (also available in WI) and if you're near any of their brewpubs, Destihl. Destihl does distribute to Chicago in kegs, but the brewpubs do growlers, including their BA'd and sour stuff... *hint hint*

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

americanzero4128 posted:

Merkin is always welcome. Central IL (and so does Wisconsin, now to think of it) gets Alesmith and Chicago doesn't. There may be some others.

Quantity wise? I'll personally be bringing more than 2 bombers worth of beer but I don't necessarily expect we'll drink all of what I bring. I like having options based on what the group feels like.

edit: Depending on how far south you're going, I am extremely interested in growlers from Scratch Brewing in Ava: http://scratchbeer.com/

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 18, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

Try to supply 2 bombers and/or the equivalent. Depending on where you're going to be in central IL, things to look out for would be Alesmith (also available in WI) and if you're near any of their brewpubs, Destihl. Destihl does distribute to Chicago in kegs, but the brewpubs do growlers, including their BA'd and sour stuff... *hint hint*

Destihl is a good idea, thanks. I didn't realize they had as much variety in beer as they do. I haven't seen Schlafly up in Chicagoland so I was going to look for something by them.

crazyfish posted:

Merkin is always welcome. Central IL (and so does Wisconsin, now to think of it) gets Alesmith and Chicago doesn't. There may be some others.

Quantity wise? I'll personally be bringing more than 2 bombers worth of beer but I don't necessarily expect we'll drink all of what I bring. I like having options based on what the group feels like.

edit: Depending on how far south you're going, I am extremely interested in growlers from Scratch Brewing in Ava: http://scratchbeer.com/

Sorry, I won't be that far south for a while. A college buddy of mine lives down in Carbondale (about 20 miles from there), so I'll have to try to get some of that from him when I see him again.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Cracked open a Titan IPA 6(!) months past its bottling date.

As expected, couldn't form a head to save its life nor was there any carbonation whatsoever. But I was more surprised that the hop character still remains! It starts malty and then enters into the citrus and hoppiness as soon as it lingers for just a bit. Dry and bitter finish, this is a good one. I have to try this one fresh - I expect it to be much more hoppy throughout.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Drank more of KudosX's BIF package tonight. Coincidentally after another day of skiing.

Decided to try the non-BA and BA versions of Thirsty Dog Siberian Night back to back. Not disappointed at all. The non-BA version is all molasses, baker's chocolate, and roasty coffee on the nose while the taste is straight up char that resembles espresso, complemented by faint hoppy notes. Really delicious. But it was nothing compared to the BA version. Oh baby. The roasty/charred notes both give way to vanilla, whiskey, and oak in both the nose and taste. But that bitter, dry, and roasty character that really defined the base beer remained. Ugh, really, really good, thanks man!

Cromlech posted:

Cracked open a Titan IPA 6(!) months past its bottling date.

As expected, couldn't form a head to save its life nor was there any carbonation whatsoever. But I was more surprised that the hop character still remains! It starts malty and then enters into the citrus and hoppiness as soon as it lingers for just a bit. Dry and bitter finish, this is a good one. I have to try this one fresh - I expect it to be much more hoppy throughout.

Yeah it's a fairly bright IPA when fresh.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Has anyone had this latest release of Lagunitas' Hairy Eyeball? I generally love their beer but this is coming off a bit perfume chemically with no real discernible malt flavor other than toast. The aroma is very weak also. Am I getting sick or is this just a miss?

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I had a bottle last night. I thought it was okay, but didn't get excited for it either.

Also had a bottle of Goose Island Night Stalker from last year. I thought it was fairly nasty when it was fresh, but the bad flavors have calmed down a little and the roast stout flavors were more prominent. Still not as good as the 2011, though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Wet Tie Affair posted:

I had a bottle last night. I thought it was okay, but didn't get excited for it either.

Also had a bottle of Goose Island Night Stalker from last year. I thought it was fairly nasty when it was fresh, but the bad flavors have calmed down a little and the roast stout flavors were more prominent. Still not as good as the 2011, though.

Did you get a lot of soy/marijuana fresh in Night Stalker? That's what I got. I didn't enjoy it at all from the 2012 release when fresh.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I got a strong acetone or medicinal flavor from the 2012. I remember letting it warm up a little and the flavor just getting worse. That taste was still in it when I had it last night, just not as strong.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Last night had a Plowhorse from Vivant. Very nice Belgian Stout. Slight sweetness with a clean chocolate finish. At $17 a 4-pack, it's pricey but in lieu of the now-gone Belgian Yeti, it's a good, cheaper alternative.

Followed it with a bottled Greenbush Delusion. After the Vivant, the front was all rye whiskey but the "cream" stout aspect shined later. I think I enjoyed it more last night than on tap at the brewery.

Non-drinking news, my girlfriend and I watched Drinking Buddies last night. Turns out it's pretty much an hour and a half advertisement for Revolution. Half the fun was watching what everyone was drinking because there's pretty much no scene in the movie where beer isn't on screen.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Yet another awesome looking beer event in Chicago - http://www.hardcorecraftbeer.com/events/endofeverything

Highlights include Darkness, BBPt5, Abyss and a whole bunch of other stuff.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fun beer tasting night last night. Joseph James Brewing Company had three batches of IPA produced using the same malt bill and differing hop schedules. The hops were all Amarillo, Chinook and Centennial, they just changed the timings and amounts in each batch. The results were three interesting beers. One was totally resinous, like drinking a pine tree. The second had nearly Sculpin-like levels of grapefruit, and the third (my favorite) somehow got some tropical fruit notes out of those hops. They polled everyone who tried all of the beers and the winner was the third IPA, so it looks like they'll be brewing a larger batch to that recipe. It'll be nice to have another solid local IPA.

Other things of interest:
- Three Barrel Brewing Chimayo: A sour with really heavy acetobacter notes to it. Vinegary in a good way, very drinkable.
- Mikkeller Betegeuze: Competently produced beer that tastes like a gueuze. It's not worth what they want for a bottle, but it's good.
- Manzanita Brewing Company Rustic Horizon: Tastes like a red ale, which is fine because that's what it's supposed to taste like. Unremarkable but drinkable.
- Upright Saison du Blodget: Tastes like funky lemonade. Really delicious, I'd highly recommend this one.
- Arcadia Brewing Co. Loch Down Scottish Ale: Kind of thin and pale compared to most Scotch ales I've had. It wasn't offensive but I wouldn't buy it.
- Schmohz Brewing Co. Kiss My Scottish Arse: Compared to the Loch Down, this had a better name and a more hoppy, less malty profile. I'd put it in the same inoffensive-but-not-good category.
- Perennial Artisan Ales Heart of Gold: One of the best wheatwines I've had in a long time. Strong wheat character, stone fruit, not too sweet.
- Allagash Curieux (July 6, 2012 bottling date): Smelled like a box of raisins. Tasted utterly fantastic and nothing like raisins. If you've got a bottle of Curieux about this old, I'd strongly recommend opening it because I can't see it getting any better.
- Deschutes Green Monster: Winner of the night. It was like Granny Smith apples and vinegar with tons of underlying complexity. Seek this out if you can.
- Rogue Integrity Ale: I'll avoid passive-aggressive comments about the irony of Rogue naming an ale Integrity (oopsies) and admit it wasn't nearly as terrible as I expected. It's not a good beer - it's forgettable, bland, and of mediocre overall quality. But I didn't hate it.

I think I also forgot to post my opinion on BCBS Backyard Rye last week so I'll do it now: it's the worst of the BCBSes. It tasted like IHOP Boysenberry syrup aged in a bourbon barrel. Too sweet, too artificial-tasting, and if it was my first experience with BCBS it might put me off trying other varieties.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007

bartolimu posted:

- Allagash Curieux (July 6, 2012 bottling date): Smelled like a box of raisins. Tasted utterly fantastic and nothing like raisins. If you've got a bottle of Curieux about this old, I'd strongly recommend opening it because I can't see it getting any better.

Know what I'm pulling out of the cellar for Christmas now!

Been slowly drinking through my BIF beers, and one of these days I'll actually write up a post about them, jerome louis. But in the meantime let me say thanks again, it's been a great couple of boxes to go through!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

I think I also forgot to post my opinion on BCBS Backyard Rye last week so I'll do it now: it's the worst of the BCBSes. It tasted like IHOP Boysenberry syrup aged in a bourbon barrel. Too sweet, too artificial-tasting, and if it was my first experience with BCBS it might put me off trying other varieties.

I still have yet to try this one but if the original Bramble was any indication, a year should do wonders on this beer. I found Bramble sweet-syrupy when fresh but much more balanced a year later. One thing I did notice with Coffee and Proprietor's this year was that they seemed more fudge-like and sweet this year than previous variants. So I'm not surprised that Backyard may have an overpowering sweetness to it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Did anyone try out Revolution's BA Porters? I nabbed Bean Gene but I'm curious if it is as hot as Deth's Tar was.

Also for the Chi Tasting...I got Pipeworks first BA releases. But it was a max of 2 12oz bottles for each. We'll have too many people to make that work?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Did anyone try out Revolution's BA Porters? I nabbed Bean Gene but I'm curious if it is as hot as Deth's Tar was.

Also for the Chi Tasting...I got Pipeworks first BA releases. But it was a max of 2 12oz bottles for each. We'll have too many people to make that work?

I wouldn't say that's too much to make it work. Bring them. Please. I've heard a lot of good things about this batch of BA releases (which is unfortunately more than I can say for the batch 1 BA smoked porter...blecccch).

edit: I haven't had this batch of Bean Gene but I can say that every previous time I've had it, it wasn't nearly as hot as Deth's Tar.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

Is this the Jones Dog or the Coffee Abduction that was BAed? I heard a lot of good things about Jones Dog but Coffee tasted like an oak tannin bomb that was just kind of awful.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Jones Dog (milk stout), Murderous (english barleywine), and Last Kiss (wee heavy).
Last I heard, they didn't know what they were going to be doing with BA Coffee Break.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Jones Dog (milk stout), Murderous (english barleywine), and Last Kiss (wee heavy).
Last I heard, they didn't know what they were going to be doing with BA Coffee Break.

I'm pretty sure they had all of these at FoBAB so they should be on untappd.

https://untappd.com/b/pipeworks-brewing-company-barrel-aged-jones-dog/263821
https://untappd.com/b/pipeworks-brewing-company-barrel-aged-murderous-in-elijah-craig-12/462851
https://untappd.com/b/pipeworks-brewing-company-barrel-aged-last-kiss-in-buffalo-trace/462848

But then again, I've seen people give fives to anything that touched a barrel.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Jones Dog (milk stout)

Had a sip of this at FOBAB and it was quite good. Better than Very Mad Cow, I believe.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
okay, i checked the wiki first, but it seems like the overly-ambitious Denver section was never completed, so...

my sister and here family are traveling from the Kansas City area to Winter Park, CO. they both like good beer, but aren't likely to go too far out of their way for it- not to mention they have three elementary/middle-school-aged children in tow- so if someone could recommend the two or three must-see bottle shops and family-friendly restaurants with awesome craft taps, i would really appreciate it. if there's something totally amazing that would make a side-trip really worth it, feel free to add that, as well. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Since Farmer's Cabinet has been a topic of discussion here a few times I figured I'd post this fun news from this morning:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/12/19/farmers-cabinet-raided-by-police-owner-matt-swartz-arrested/

quote:

On Wednesday night, the Liquor Control Enforcement arm of the Pennsylvania State Police raided the Farmers’ Cabinet on Walnut Street and arrested co-owner Matt Swartz, according to police.

Not long ago, I contacted the Farmers’ Cabinet to find out why they seemed to be selling liquor with an expired license. A manager told me that they had been granted temporary authority by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board and that the certificate was posted at the front of the restaurant. [...] But according to Spera, that renewal letter was a forgery.

So the police raided the place and took all of their liquor and beer and arrested the owner. Kinda sad to see this place go from a craft beer destination to pretty much ruined in the scant few years it's been open. But the owner seems to have a reputation for doing all kinds of shady poo poo so I guess it's no surprise to industry folks.