Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ularg posted:

Everytime I bring up PS1 emulation I always get shot down as "Not going to happen, MAYBE with gaikai". I'm really am hoping for some PS1 emulation so I can replay Metal Gear Solid again without booting up my PS3. But I'm okay with waiting in the meantime since my PS3 is still in working condition.

Get a Vita, play MGS on the go! :v:

I do hope for PS1 and PS2 emulation though. It really shouldn't be hard at this point since we're 2 gens removed - if the PS3 can emulate the PS1, the PS4 should be able to emulate the PS2. What would be really cool, though, is if any game small enough could be loaded directly onto the RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ularg posted:

Everytime I bring up PS1 emulation I always get shot down as "Not going to happen, MAYBE with gaikai". I'm really am hoping for some PS1 emulation so I can replay Metal Gear Solid again without booting up my PS3. But I'm okay with waiting in the meantime since my PS3 is still in working condition.

Yeah, I have no idea why a software emulator for both consoles would be impossible, since the PS1 has been emulated on practically everything, and Sony even managed to get a functioning PS2 emulator done entirely in software on the PS3.

Although they would be easier to stream through Gaikai than PS3 games since they run at lower resolutions, it would still be a missed opportunity to sell downloadable copies to PS4 owners without fast internet connections, especially after they've already gone through the effort to get the licenses.

Having the PS4's recording feature for these games would be cool, but Sony did release a patent that allows trophies to be implemented on games that don't natively support them. It probably just checks various parts of the RAM to see if it meets the conditions for a trophy, such as in God Hand if you still have the kick me sign once you defeat the final boss. That would be a huge incentive for trophy-lovers to get these older games.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 22, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

BreakAtmo posted:

Get a Vita, play MGS on the go! :v:

I do hope for PS1 and PS2 emulation though. It really shouldn't be hard at this point since we're 2 gens removed - if the PS3 can emulate the PS1, the PS4 should be able to emulate the PS2. What would be really cool, though, is if any game small enough could be loaded directly onto the RAM.

I already have a 3DS. Maybe one day when my PS+ library outweights my sense. I just always hoped that I could stream my second MGS playthrough on the PS4. I also had tiny hopes, or at least I would wish that Gaikai would come with a remote play for PS3. But that too seems out of the realm of possibility.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ularg posted:

Not going to happen, MAYBE with Gaikai.

Why would Sony allocate dev resources to giving a free feature like emulation away when they can charge for it via Gaikai?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

macnbc posted:

Why would Sony allocate dev resources to giving a free feature like emulation away when they can charge for it via Gaikai?

Isn't Gaikai going to be bundled with PS+?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ularg posted:

Isn't Gaikai going to be bundled with PS+?

Sony has given no indication whether it will or won't.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

MrLonghair posted:

My PS4 stands in the most well-ventilated possible way that isn't free-floating open-air , yet the exhaust is hotter during load than what my PS3 Slim has given out ever, hot to the "put nose up to the back and take a whiff"-touch.

What I want to say with that is, good luck if you've got it tucked into a little cabinet with barely any air-breathing room. At least mine is super silent.

It's also worth repeating that although you can stand it vertically without a stand, it's not really designed to as it blocks the air vents (as I found in my own experience), you should really buy the official PS4 stand. Seems like a stupid design flaw to me (or intentionally done to sell accessories). My last-gen console stood vertically just fine.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

macnbc posted:

Because they can sell downloadable PS1 and PS2 games like they've been doing on the PS3, PSP, and Vita? Software PS2 emulation is limited enough that they need to tweak the emulator for each game they release with it, so it won't let a non-BC PS3 run PS2 discs, but if they really didn't want people playing their old PS1 and PS2 discs for free, then they could disable that.

I don't see why forcing you to use Gaikai just to play these old games is a good idea, since that prevents a lot of their customers from playing them at all.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

MZ posted:

It's also worth repeating that although you can stand it vertically without a stand, it's not really designed to as it blocks the air vents (as I found in my own experience), you should really buy the official PS4 stand. Seems like a stupid design flaw to me (or intentionally done to sell accessories). My last-gen console stood vertically just fine.

Is there much difference between standing it vertically and horizontally? Assuming in both cases the console isn't locked in an airtight box.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Geokinesis posted:

Is there much difference between standing it vertically and horizontally? Assuming in both cases the console isn't locked in an airtight box.

Yes, the air intake vents on the side of the system are blocked if you stand it vertically. The sony stand actually re routes airflow through the stand to make it work correctly.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Is "no disc inserted" a common issue with these things? I just went to go play ac4 and even after I double checked the right disc was in the drive, it's telling me no disc is inserted.

Edit: seems it's all games. I tried butting BF4 in and got the same problem.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Id say prep it for a return.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Thundarr posted:

This was basically my experience. There were spots where camera angles made it hard to judge a jump or whether you'd be able to hit a guy, dodging is frequently of questionable use, and several enemy types were both capable of one or two shotting you and had very strong self-preservation instincts that made fighting them a pain.
And those one shot attacks can be launched from out of camera ennemies :(

I'm grinding for my last 5 diamond crystals now. The game is starting to get really annoying.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Personally I think live streaming is a great idea: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sukadik617

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Why are the robots kicking around a penis balloon?

Edit: Oh I guess you can make your own.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
^^ What's with the AR penis thing? Is that something you can make?

That's one happy looking girl who I assume it's her boyfriend who is live on the Internet being angry (sound is down but he looks angry) surrounded by robots playing with inflatable dongs.

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 22, 2013

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Losing all my points at level 10 heat is so exciting but so infuriating.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

DarthBlingBling posted:

^^ What's with the AR penis thing? Is that something you can make?

It's the Toymaker dlc (free) for playroom. You draw the items on your smartphone/tablet and flick it into the game.

nsfw http://i.imgur.com/We3GPTXm.jpg

edit: more nsfw http://imgur.com/hSsMIgC

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 22, 2013

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Is "no disc inserted" a common issue with these things? I just went to go play ac4 and even after I double checked the right disc was in the drive, it's telling me no disc is inserted.

Edit: seems it's all games. I tried butting BF4 in and got the same problem.
That randomly happened to me yesterday. I put it into safe mode and rebuilt database, it's working fine now. Don't know if it's just a weird glitch but if it happens again I'll probably call Sony.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If somebody is going off on you in voice chat with the slurs and whatnot does the recording function capture that if you want to report them to Sony or whatever?

Theoretically. I don't think I could ever be bothered just cause some moron is mad at videogames.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

davecrazy posted:

If somebody is going off on you in voice chat with the slurs and whatnot does the recording function capture that if you want to report them to Sony or whatever?

Theoretically. I don't think I could ever be bothered just cause some moron is mad at videogames.

I really hope so. Being an abusive racist/misogynist/homophobe needs to start costing people their accounts. Maybe that would make people think before they threaten to rape/kill you because you beat them in Tekken or something.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Spalec posted:

I really hope so. Being an abusive racist/misogynist/homophobe needs to start costing people their accounts. Maybe that would make people think before they threaten to rape/kill you because you beat them in Tekken or something.

At the very least, it will make for great rage thread material.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
So I reported last night that my PS4's disc drive was broken - it wouldn't pull discs in, and even pushing them in yourself didn't help since it didn't notice the discs.

I want to evangelize the amazing Sony Store, though. I had no idea they had a "Genius Bar"-style tech center. I brought in the system, and they didn't even look at it - they just gave me a new console from behind the counter and shipped mine off to Sony. As far as I know (and since I didn't sign anything) I'm not going to be charged for the original system. They even installed the 1.52 firmware on the new console for me. It really couldn't have been painless (unless it weren't three days before Christmas at one of the biggest malls in the Florida).

The store itself was nice too - way nicer than the overly obtrusive Microsoft store, and a better showcase than the Apple store. The prices were high, since everything was at MSRP and Sony sells a bunch of expensive stuff, but that's to be expected at a mall all considered.

Thanks Sony!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I got a PS4 on release day and kept putting off getting an extended warranty. Is there anywhere I can get an extended warranty now? It's past 30 days :smith:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ehud posted:

I got a PS4 on release day and kept putting off getting an extended warranty. Is there anywhere I can get an extended warranty now? It's past 30 days :smith:

With or without accidental damage coverage? You can get the extended warranty without accidental from Sony for 1 year from purchase. Only accidental damage is limited to 30 days.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
I'm absolutely amazed at the ps4 the controller sound is something so simple but such a cool little feature. I also am going to echo what I have read in this thread. Sony got the controller so loving right. It's so impressive.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ehud posted:

Try SquareTrade.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I just picked up NFS, is there a dedicated thread?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Ehud posted:

Remember to check your credit card benefits many will automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty up to an extra year.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Ehud posted:

Best Buy was under holiday return policy for the release date of the PS4 (which means you have until January 15th), if you bought it there (you probably did not).

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I never really understood the controller hype. I mean yeah, it is nice...

Then I went back to the DS3 (platinum in Diablo woot), and holy poo poo, it is unbearable now. DS4 is the poo poo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Math You posted:

I never really understood the controller hype. I mean yeah, it is nice...

Then I went back to the DS3 (platinum in Diablo woot), and holy poo poo, it is unbearable now. DS4 is the poo poo.

You can use the DS4 wired on the PS3. It just doesn't work with games that used the analog buttons (GTAV and MGS4 PS4 ports please).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What games use the analog buttons besides MGS?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Thundarr posted:

This was basically my experience.

Glad it isn't just me, then! This isn't the sort of game I'm usually into and for a while, thought I might have been far rustier than I wanted to believe. With the system being all shiny and new, I wanted to stream a bunch of titles. Even ones I was only marginally interested in. Rest assured I'll be knocking this one out, in fact plan on putting a few hours into it very shortly.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

haveblue posted:

What games use the analog buttons besides MGS?

The GTAs and Gran Turismos, for starters.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

I just picked up NFS, is there a dedicated thread?

Nope, people generally have been chatting about NFS in this thread. I finished it last week and will be selling my copy but I'm good for advice!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Ularg posted:

Man, Trine 2 on Steam right now is less than $4. I would kill for that price on PSN right now. :(

Be patient. Sony will refresh store deals at some point and Trine 2 is like a prime candidate for a free title. They have to reinforce that PS+ value and there's a really limited selection so good money says you get it for the awesome price of free.

Chocolate posted:

I'm absolutely amazed at the ps4 the controller sound is something so simple but such a cool little feature. I also am going to echo what I have read in this thread. Sony got the controller so loving right. It's so impressive.

Ive said it before but I'll be sorely disappointed every time a title doesn't work that little speaker in somehow, its such a stupid little thing but I love it. I want to stick my controller up to my ear to take codec calls, make it happen Hideo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

Ive said it before but I'll be sorely disappointed every time a title doesn't work that little speaker in somehow, its such a stupid little thing but I love it. I want to stick my controller up to my ear to take codec calls, make it happen Hideo.

Considering that MGS4 let you use bluetooth headsets to listen to codec calls, I will be very surprised if this doesn't happen.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

That loving Sned posted:

Because they can sell downloadable PS1 and PS2 games like they've been doing on the PS3, PSP, and Vita? Software PS2 emulation is limited enough that they need to tweak the emulator for each game they release with it, so it won't let a non-BC PS3 run PS2 discs, but if they really didn't want people playing their old PS1 and PS2 discs for free, then they could disable that.

I don't see why forcing you to use Gaikai just to play these old games is a good idea, since that prevents a lot of their customers from playing them at all.

And it's honestly kinda bullshit that I might have to pay extra for the ability to play something (say, a PS1 classic) that I already bought once. If it works on the PS3 and the Vita, then very obviously they could port that software to the ps4 in a system update. Yes, I know, sony is a business and blah blah, but it makes very little sense that I can't play ps1 games on the ps4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Well go plug your PSX in.. Sheesh. They're releasing a ps4, not a remake of a ps1.

• Locked thread