Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Speaking of Wonder City, I've always wondered (ha ha) what's up with that place and I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

There's the occasional thug voice clip about how he remembers hearing about it at school, but it's just this giant half broken place utterly abandoned except for the (Arkham City spoilers)ninja clans and autonomous steampunk robots and immortality goo and all this stuff just papered over by Gotham's crappy subway system. Heck Wonder Tower is still huge and sticking up in the center of the city. I don't know really anything about Batman comics, but is there really just this magical steampunk hideout right in the middle of Gotham that nobody bothers to talk about or investigate?
Wonder Tower is the Sunsphere of the DCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

raditts posted:

Okay, so there isn't more to that fight than that. I thought it was one of the dumbest and boring boss battles of the entire game but earlier in the thread people were praising it as something amazing and groundbreaking.

It's certainly not groundbreaking in any way, but it uses the "boss fights are based on other things you actually do in the game" concept really well. The fight is basically Batman vs. the Martial Artist enemy type but on steroids. I like that approach more than AA's Poison Ivy or AC's Grundy that do the "oh, uh yeah let's sorta pretend this is a Zelda game now" kind of thing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So, just finished this. It was ok, but for some reason it didn't really grab me like the other two did. Probably won't bother going through it again, just want to finish up the Riddler (sorry, Enigma :shh:) and do The Dark Knight thing.

However, I'm finding that incredibly difficult, because I keep doing what it asks (I eventually figured out it wanted them in order, which is a really arse-backwards way of doing things) but it doesn't seem to register very often. I've done 'counter while doing a beatdown' pretty much every single fight, and it still won't let me have it. I did the exotic takedowns one in Blackgate just before the Bane fight, and nada. Is this a common issue?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Barry Foster posted:

So, just finished this. It was ok, but for some reason it didn't really grab me like the other two did. Probably won't bother going through it again, just want to finish up the Riddler (sorry, Enigma :shh:) and do The Dark Knight thing.

However, I'm finding that incredibly difficult, because I keep doing what it asks (I eventually figured out it wanted them in order, which is a really arse-backwards way of doing things) but it doesn't seem to register very often. I've done 'counter while doing a beatdown' pretty much every single fight, and it still won't let me have it. I did the exotic takedowns one in Blackgate just before the Bane fight, and nada. Is this a common issue?

Very common. You can find some online guides on how to pull it off, but a lot of them only have one or two rooms where they work. Fortunately, in New Game + it remembers how many you did in the regular game, so you don't have to start over.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jurgan posted:

Very common. You can find some online guides on how to pull it off, but a lot of them only have one or two rooms where they work. Fortunately, in New Game + it remembers how many you did in the regular game, so you don't have to start over.

Good-o. Well, think I may not bother if it involves going playing through again, especially if it's that finicky. Thanks for confirming it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

raditts posted:

Okay, so there isn't more to that fight than that. I thought it was one of the dumbest and boring boss battles of the entire game but earlier in the thread people were praising it as something amazing and groundbreaking.

It's not a groundbreaking fight, but I found it a hell of a lot of fun. You can be methodical and take Deathstroke apart with meticulous precision so that not only does he not land a single blow on you, but you counter every single move he makes. You can be aggressive and just go toe to toe with him and either JUST beat him by the skin of your teeth or completely dominate him. If you're stand-offish he'll comment on it with intrigue ("You didn't take the opening.... I wonder why?") and if you're clumsy and walk headfirst into stuff he'll comment on that too. No matter how you face the battle, the end result is always the same but always works in context - no matter how you fought the fight, when you beat Deathstroke he's left gaping in horror at the fact he couldn't beat you. Hearing him say,"What are you!?! :gonk:" like any other common crook is immensely satisfying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I also recently discovered that Deathstroke will also break out his gun and shoot at you if you fight too far away. He never did that the first time I fought him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't discover it until I hit a glitch and Deathstroke disappeared beneath the gameworld leaving me stuck inside the arena, but you can also target and destroy the fuel canisters running around the side of the arena, which would probably prevent him from being able to remote claw them to you during the fight (though it's fun to catch them and throw them into his face!).

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Barry Foster posted:

Good-o. Well, think I may not bother if it involves going playing through again, especially if it's that finicky. Thanks for confirming it.

I ran into another bug myself where my worst nightmare challenges got rolled back a few but my save was exactly where I left it. As a result, I was unable to complete that track in NG+. It ended up not being such a big deal since I unlocked I Am The Knight mode and discovered that whatever you unlock in that gets applied to the rest of the game immediately.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Posted on the Arkham facebook page:

Edit: They posted with it: "You are cordially invited to the Humanitarian of the Year Awards at the Wayne Manor on New Year’s Eve."

Keeku fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 31, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, the DLC will be an attack on Wayne Manor? That could be interesting.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, the DLC will be an attack on Wayne Manor? That could be interesting.

There was a Wayne Manor DLC map for Arkham City that was centered around an attack on Wayne Manor (and the Batcave). It wasn't really as fun as it sounds because the Predator challenges were bullshit for Wayne Manor in particular :argh:

If they manage to turn it into something more fun though I will be pleasantly surprised.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember that. The Batcave attack was a simulation as I recall, though.

Not sure about the two Wayne Manor ones, though.

Then again, the tie-in comics for Arkham City did have Hugo Strange initiating a Protocol 9 at the same time as Protocol 10, meant to attack the Batcave and whatever allies Bruce had at his home.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Wayne Manor Armory combat map was great though, because it was the best place to practice your blade dodge takedowns.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

The announcement from the Arkham game facebook page:

"All-new STORY DLC coming in 2014!"

So Mr. Freeze by the look of it. I'm okay with that. I think there was a throwaway line in Arkham City by Oracle saying something like "careful with mr. freeze, remember what happened last time?". Could be relevant.

Edit: Would be cool too if this wasn't the only story DLC we get. Perhaps a story DLC introducing each of Batman's major rogues. We got the Joker/Penguin/Riddler introductions in the main game and possibly getting Mr Freeze in this DLC. Down the track it would be great to get a Two-Face or Scarecrow introduction through future DLC. I can dream.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 1, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That...is such a vague line I can't imagine how it could matter in the least. I think it'll probably be a Freeze origin story combined with a continuation of the Penguin storyline, thus setting up their animosity in City.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Keeku posted:

The announcement from the Arkham game facebook page:

"All-new STORY DLC coming in 2014!"

So Mr. Freeze by the look of it. I'm okay with that. I think there was a throwaway line in Arkham City by Oracle saying something like "careful with mr. freeze, remember what happened last time?". Could be relevant.

That would explain why Batman would need help from Oracle scanning Mr. Freeze's suit if he hasn't fought him in 5+ years.

Keeku posted:

Edit: Would be cool too if this wasn't the only story DLC we get.

Was that intentional? :v:

Keeku posted:

Perhaps a story DLC introducing each of Batman's major rogues. We got the Joker/Penguin/Riddler introductions in the main game and possibly getting Mr Freeze in this DLC. Down the track it would be great to get a Two-Face or Scarecrow introduction through future DLC. I can dream.

I would like to see more villain Origins. Those could make for nice DLC.

Hopefully, WB Montreal will do three things.

1. Design Mr. Freeze a more retrograde suit than his Arkham City one. I can buy Calendar Man looking the same, but they did make efforts to have Penguin, Joker, Riddler, Killer Croc, and the various other villains look different from how they do in the later games.

2. Don't rehash Heart of Ice. We all know how Mr. Freeze's origin story went. Heck, it was one of the most popular BTAS episodes ever and pretty much redefined the character. Hopefully, they take a unique spin on it.

3. Make a Mr. Freeze boss fight that is different from Arkham City's.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I would like to see more villain Origins. Those could make for nice DLC.

Hopefully, WB Montreal will do three things.

1. Design Mr. Freeze a more retrograde suit than his Arkham City one. I can buy Calendar Man looking the same, but they did make efforts to have Penguin, Joker, Riddler, Killer Croc, and the various other villains look different from how they do in the later games.

2. Don't rehash Heart of Ice. We all know how Mr. Freeze's origin story went. Heck, it was one of the most popular BTAS episodes ever and pretty much redefined the character. Hopefully, they take a unique spin on it.

3. Make a Mr. Freeze boss fight that is different from Arkham City's.

Number 2 is most likely NOT happening since it's already set up with an event exactly like Heart of Ice, only at Wayne manor instead of whatever company headquarters was used in the cartoon.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

Number 2 is most likely NOT happening since it's already set up with an event exactly like Heart of Ice, only at Wayne manor instead of whatever company headquarters was used in the cartoon.

Also, you know, there's a heart of ice in the promo picture.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Recently beat Origins, but man I got to say that this thing froze on me like nine times. Also got to see Bane spin in a circle in an area that he wasn't supposed to enter.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Still having that problem where I can't so anything except click through menus, rotate the camera, and throw concussion grenades as Batman with the left mouse button. Someone suggested easier that I verify my cache, which I did, and check any game pads, which I don't have. Any other ideas? Did they fix the Joker fight yet?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In regards to the Deathstroke battle is there a 'proper' way to slug it out with him by going on the offensive? Whenever I attacked he would just continuously counter, doing a lot of damage but not taking any. Felt like I was getting through the fight via attrition more than skill. Still enjoyed it mind - nice change of pace after the tense stand-off I had with Electricutioner. :v:

Can't get over Chris Redfield voicing Batman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When Deathstroke counters you can counter-counter...but not right away. You have to wait for the right moment. It's the only fight I've seen that actively punishes just jamming on the counter button as soon as you see an attack animation.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

When Deathstroke counters you can counter-counter...but not right away. You have to wait for the right moment. It's the only fight I've seen that actively punishes just jamming on the counter button as soon as you see an attack animation.

Oh poo poo, that must've been it then. I jab counter as seen as the !!! mark comes up. I might have better luck in NG+ when I move up a difficulty.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

With Deathstroke, I find that being aggressive with the batclaw slam helps. It takes away a decent chunk of his health and he doesn't seem to dodge it that much.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You can also kind of cheese the fight by going PUNCH -> EVADE OVER HIS HEAD -> PUNCH -> EVADE OVER HIS HEAD -> PUNCH etc. etc. etc.

Throw in some special attacks when your combo meter gets high enough. He can still counter, but I think it reduces the chances.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Has there ever been any behind the scenes stuff that explained the design decision to have endless displays and dioramas behind glass in all the Arkham games? I like them, but it seems odd that all of the criminals in the games take over a location and then also take the time to set up various displays and dioramas in said location (not to mention why are there display cases on every every available surface).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best things to use on Deathstroke are Combo Takedowns and Batclaw Slams.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has there ever been any behind the scenes stuff that explained the design decision to have endless displays and dioramas behind glass in all the Arkham games? I like them, but it seems odd that all of the criminals in the games take over a location and then also take the time to set up various displays and dioramas in said location (not to mention why are there display cases on every every available surface).

The only places with a ton of display cases in City and Origins were the Museum and Final Offer. Both of those were bought by the Penguin and operating for quite some time. The only place in Asylum I can think where there are a ton of dioramas was Admin, and they make plenty of sense there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cobblepot was definitely portrayed as a collector early on, and he has the time, money and resources to go hog wild with showing off. I'm honestly blanking on who else had displays set up :/

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Aside from the very valid reasons mentioned above, it's largely asset reuse. It has advantages from a crude design perspective, too- you have an excuse to show off something cool that can't be interacted with.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I just beat Deathstroke (a boss I thought was pretty good, even if I'm not quite sure how it worked) and then I came out and apparently have to defuse bombs. I only tried for about a minute before I got annoyed, but there didn't seem to be any indication as to where the bombs were? I feel like I'm missing something.

The game in general seems really uninteresting to be honest. I've done all this before, would it really have killed them to at least set Gotham in another time of the year? They already did snow in Arkham City and it just feels like a gigantic retread.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You need to talk to the dude in the crow's nest to initiate the first bomb quest. Then bomb quest-givers show up on your map.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Momomo posted:

So I just beat Deathstroke (a boss I thought was pretty good, even if I'm not quite sure how it worked) and then I came out and apparently have to defuse bombs. I only tried for about a minute before I got annoyed, but there didn't seem to be any indication as to where the bombs were? I feel like I'm missing something.

The game in general seems really uninteresting to be honest. I've done all this before, would it really have killed them to at least set Gotham in another time of the year? They already did snow in Arkham City and it just feels like a gigantic retread.

It feels like a gigantic retread because it is a gigantic retread. If you've played enough of Arkham City you'd recognize that they reused a substantial amount of texture assets, animations, and just overall what Batman does in the game. Hell, even some of the animations that are recycled from City are actually reused from Asylum (the "bomb defusing" thing in particular comes to mind, it's exactly the same as when Batman destroys Poison Ivy's weird plant things in Asylum). It'd be interesting to see Gotham in a different season or something, but they're pretty much stuck with having the game set during the night time unless there's a Bruce Wayne part or something (and that would probably be pretty cool).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

The Anarky missions require you to talk to a guy and then find the bomb. The objectives are all marked on your map.

As for snow, eh. Narrative wise you need to have a justification for why there aren't innocent civilians outside. You're really looking at either a hurricane or a blizzard to elicit that sort of city shutdown.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm currently bumbling around with the objective 'Find Black Mask'. I take it I should be hacking radio towers and stuff at this point? Patrolling around and punching bad guys in the face isn't a bad activity, but Riddler's cockblocking me on a couple towers right now so I'm wondering if I'm missing something stupidly obvious. There's no markers on my map like with the previous missions.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm currently bumbling around with the objective 'Find Black Mask'. I take it I should be hacking radio towers and stuff at this point? Patrolling around and punching bad guys in the face isn't a bad activity, but Riddler's cockblocking me on a couple towers right now so I'm wondering if I'm missing something stupidly obvious. There's no markers on my map like with the previous missions.

Uhm...not sure which mission you're on, but did you try tracking down all his drug caches? They're marked on your map as little skulls.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

Uhm...not sure which mission you're on, but did you try tracking down all his drug caches? They're marked on your map as little skulls.

There's absolutely nothing on the map. I've just done a case file where I solved the death of a banker guy, and then...nada. Zip. Zilch. Just the objective description and red tower icons. :psyduck:

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Deathstroke isn't even slightly a challenge once you realize you can just spam batclaw until you win. I kinda hope they patch that (if they haven't already) because it took the fight from being a decent challenge to being far too easy. Having said that, I didn't like that it punished you for hitting the counter button 'too early' as it's pretty hard to break the habit of pressing counter as soon as you see an attack incoming. Would much prefer if they had made it you just had to time the counter hits exactly instead of ignoring the first couple hits then hitting counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

There's absolutely nothing on the map. I've just done a case file where I solved the death of a banker guy, and then...nada. Zip. Zilch. Just the objective description and red tower icons. :psyduck:

Oh...I think you have to unlock the towers before you can get the map icons.

• Locked thread