Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any good newbie guides for getting a chaotic character off the ground in ADOM? I'm new to ADOM in general and Chaos Knight has been a pretty fun but most information/guides I can find are for neutral/lawful characters.

Chaos knights are a straight up challenge class, (they are not allowed to do many things and are supposed to aim for one of the special endings instead of the normal one) my suggestion would be to roll something like a troll barbarian or orc archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh alright, with how easy I was killing things at the start I assumed they were a newbie one. Thanks.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Rasamune posted:

Did they seriously do a single-choice plurality vote across 300 different options

Jesus loving christ

It's not single choice. For voters I mean.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh alright, with how easy I was killing things at the start I assumed they were a newbie one. Thanks.

Troll barbarians have a good chance to knab vanquisher which is the best two-handed weapon in the entire game and will be skilled with it when you are crowned.

quote:

Vanquisher is most notable for having seven slaying powers -- meaning it is guaranteed to land a critical hit on any monster except beasts, insects and plants
Barbarians have some really really good crowning gifts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rasamune posted:

Did they seriously do a single-choice plurality vote across 300 different options

Jesus loving christ

Nah it was approval voting.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

uPen posted:

Just don't go into the fanart section of the official website.
I vomited after seeing them dot the i's.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

deepshock posted:

I just started playing Risk of Rain, the action platformer with roguelike elements. Except for the game maker limitations (the iffy 1995 netcode for multiplayer, the dodgy enemy attack frames at lower FPS and the poor optimization), it's pretty solid. The classes are pretty good (especially the Commando, which is fortunate because you spend a LOT of time with at the start), the abilities and ability cooldowns are well balanced (at least as far as I've played or seen), and the items themselves have a real Binding of Isaac thing going on. I'd love to see the developers able to make this in a less limiting framework, as unlikely as that may be. The dungeons are less randomized than one would expect but every playthrough still feels varied.

The only randomized element of RoR maps is the loot placement. Maps are static.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eschatos posted:

The only randomized element of RoR maps is the loot placement. Maps are static.

The maps have half a dozen or so layouts with different parts removed.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Well, I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but http://helmet.kafuka.org/thepile/Noxico_example_characters

code:
culture
	japanese
invisiblegender
terms
	generic: "cheetah"
	male: "cheetah man"
	female: "cheetah girl"
	herm: "cheetah herm"
ascii
	char: U+010C
tallness: 182
hair
	length: 7
	color: brown
skin
	type
		fur
	color: orange
eyes
	color: gold
face
	cat
ears
	cat
legs
	human
tail
	genbeast
rear end
	size: 5
	fuckable
hips: 8
waist: 2
fertility: 20
breastrow
	amount: 2
	size: 4.2
	nipples: 1
		size: 1.2
	milksource
vagina
	fuckable
	clit: 0.3
charisma: 60
cunning: 40
carnality: 90
sensitivity: 40
speed: 70
strength: 50

Haha, this is the best. "Breastrow".

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

ToME didn't win roguelike of the year! The system works.

(the system is busted, look at what won. :laffo:)

this really made my day lmao

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Rasamune posted:

Jesus loving christ

also don't forget that every year ToME adds an in-game vote option, which is why it had won hands-down in many previous years, and the guy who runs the poll (one of the clowns who does roguelike radio) refuses to remove previous winners, classics, or hello-world level clutter. so that's what you get.

every year he says, "its just for fun, it's not meant to be taken seriously!" except the poll has been running for at least 8 or 9 years now and everyone else takes it seriously because its the only poll where someone actually bothers to put in the effort to collate every possible roguelikes that had a release in the past year.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Can we get some Hydra Slayer chat going on? I downloaded it the other day, because I love to hate myself. Are Elves supposed to be a hidden class?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It really should be a checkbox poll. Or there should be a runoff for the top ten or something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

A great honor has been bestowed upon Noxico, the dark horse of this year's Roguelike of the Year 2013 Poll.

Please don't gently caress the dark horse.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You've gotta be making GBS threads me. This has to be some kind of ruse.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I think it started as a general veiled threat about the efficacy of the poll since Noxico was the first of two "Wait...what?" projects of this sort in the year(The other was Seduction Quest, which in some respects had an even more outlandish thing goings on) versus all the ToME hand-wringing with only a few hopefuls otherwise for ADOM Resurrected and CataclysmDDA---but then one or more people actually decided to run with it to smash the poll and play kingmaker.

It'll be interesting to see how/if Roguelike Radio winds up tackling this hilariously terrible development!

I think the perfect closer to this thing would be to retroactively change the rules and award the top 3-5 Olympic-style.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Desktop Dungeons on flash sale - is the "Goatperson DLC" worth it?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The Goatperson is, in my brief experience with it, probably the worst class in the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

It'll be interesting to see how/if Roguelike Radio winds up tackling this hilariously terrible development!

I think the perfect closer to this thing would be to retroactively change the rules and award the top 3-5 Olympic-style.

That would be such a cop-out if they do that. I mean, Noxico won fair and square and is our chosen Roguelike of the Year and all that, you know?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nephilm posted:

Desktop Dungeons on flash sale - is the "Goatperson DLC" worth it?

Goatperson is the viscous difficulty equivalent of race/class combinations. Whenever you level up you are forced to switch gods, your exploration is limited by food consumption, and more.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

ProfessorProf posted:

The Goatperson is, in my brief experience with it, probably the worst class in the game.

DalaranJ posted:

Goatperson is the viscous difficulty equivalent of race/class combinations. Whenever you level up you are forced to switch gods, your exploration is limited by food consumption, and more.

Oh, well too hardcore for me, then. Thanks.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Has anyone even heard of noxico? I've never seen it mention or discussed anywhere.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Has anyone even heard of noxico? I've never seen it mention or discussed anywhere.

My guess is 4chan or someone got a bunch of non-players to vote it up. Either that or a voting script.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Harminoff posted:

I remember some thread on SA making fun of it (I want to say it was a derail in the awful game mods thread or something)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

Goatperson is the viscous difficulty equivalent...

But how viscous? Are we talking pudding, or jam? Poorly done pancake mix?
E: vicious

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

That would be such a cop-out if they do that. I mean, Noxico won fair and square and is our chosen Roguelike of the Year and all that, you know?

That perfect would perhaps have read better as "perfect" since ultimately this whole thing is something of an amusing trainwreck to behold this time around even moreso than last time that was laced with cringingly white-hot acrimony instead.

Let me dream of an awards ceremony procession that will never be~

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

maketakunai posted:

(stuff about one way heroics) ....the True End.

Since you apparently know and I can't find any info on the net about this game. Mind telling me how to get the True End?

I went to 2000km and the game ended with a win I guess without fighting the devil?

Then I unlocked very hard by beating the game with every class, then I beat the game on very hard difficulty and got some special epilogue. Is that the true end you are referring to above or is there still more for me to discover in this game?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any opinions about Delver the fproguelike on sale on steam right now?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

victrix posted:

General thread temp on it is lukewarm.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

drink_bleach posted:

Since you apparently know and I can't find any info on the net about this game. Mind telling me how to get the True End?

I went to 2000km and the game ended with a win I guess without fighting the devil?

Then I unlocked very hard by beating the game with every class, then I beat the game on very hard difficulty and got some special epilogue. Is that the true end you are referring to above or is there still more for me to discover in this game?

There's a secret boss. The epilogue for reaching the end of the world should basically spell out how to fight it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

victrix posted:

Personally, I'd buy it for $2.39 like it is right now. It's not amazing, but the devs have made significant progress since the alpha release, and I think I can trust them to continue improving it.

You might want to try out the old alpha which is free for a better idea.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Chakan posted:

But how viscous? Are we talking pudding, or jam? Poorly done pancake mix?
E: vicious

Well, if we go with the analogy that every class is something that you might eat and goatperson is the only viscous one, I would describe goatperson as 'shards of glass'. Although I might be as bad at analogies as I am at spelling.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Desktop Dungeons, yes, no?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

yes

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
drat, missed it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

victrix posted:

It's worth noting that it is, in some ways, a lot of a puzzle game rather than a straight-up roguelike.

It's good. It just may not be quite what you're expecting.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Just a reminder that we do have a One Way Heroics thread out there :)

drink_bleach posted:

This post is pretty much the One Way Heroics Full Guide To Spoilery Things so unless you're drink_bleach you might not want to hover over this stuff.

Actually, I'm just gonna stuff all this spoilery information behind a pastebin link because this isn't really the OWH thread so it'd suck for people who haven't played it yet to accidentally scroll over it.

The pastebin link is here.

There is a spoileriffic wiki out there, but it's in Japanese, so that's probably why you couldn't find it.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 2, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

victrix posted:

Its cute and fairly competent, but also super bare bones right now. I beat it on my third try in about 40 minutes by simply putting points into HP and equipping the things with the bigger numbers. The hard part I guess is just surviving the early game (avoid getting poisoned) but after that there really isn't much to it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

Its cute and fairly competent, but also super bare bones right now. I beat it on my third try in about 40 minutes by simply putting points into HP and equipping the things with the bigger numbers. The hard part I guess is just surviving the early game (avoid getting poisoned) but after that there really isn't much to it.

Yeah I checked it out. I adore the aesthetic and I think a roguelike fps done right could be loving amazing, but Delver isn't it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any other roguelikes that do something similar to Dredmor regarding character creation?