Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Payne--and all Republicans--are so petty. They're still mad and trying to make Obamacare out to be worse than Bush's response to Katrina.

quote:

Some dumb rear end in a top hat is floating yet another proposal to devide up California. Because the reason all the ones wanting to split it into two states failed was because they didn't divide things enough.
What a great idea, forcing the collective residents of California to pay for 6 state governments instead of one. Just brilliant. Wow. I can't believe I didn't realize that the solution was more bureaucracy and middlemen all along--thanks Republicans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Where's that Dry Bones edit with the jumping Kirschen stand in? I believe there was a small one with him jumping, and then another with him jumping between a debating Obama/Romney, holding up a "free Jonathan Pollard" sign. They were amazing, I can believe no one posted it (or maybe I just missed it)!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I admit I wasn't paying attention to the news for a bit there, so it's definitely possible I missed something, but did this even happen? Last I heard, the closest they got to that was voting for a budget that didn't have the extension as part of it yet, with a promise to bring it up as a separate bill.

As the amount of racism increases, the amount of disagreement decreases. A confusing math cartoon.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Someone really needs to explain the concept of ironic juxtaposition to Horsey.

oobey posted:

I'm not at all surprised that the first thing Mr. Shuldig does with a baby is give it a good shake or two. For shame.

No big deal, if the baby dies, it was a Palestinian so it never existed in the first place!

Did Donna Barstow develop a pen name?

One of these pee pee is not like the doo doo.

Man, all these cartoonists are so uncomfortable with the message of Wolf of Wall Street. Maybe something about nuance and unlabeled symbols?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

Man, all these cartoonists are so uncomfortable with the message of Wolf of Wall Street. Maybe something about nuance and unlabeled symbols?

Isn't that American Hustle?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Yeah, you're right. The plot lines and themes are pretty similar though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Internet Webguy posted:

A movie about degenerate wall street assholes?
Why I dont see anything anyone would hate about that.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Internet Webguy posted:

Taylor Jones normally does charicatures to accompany articles, and sometimes tries to really skewer the subject if he hates him/her/it.

I'm guessing Taylor didn't see the movie because Bradley Cooper's character didn't think twice about anything at all. Also the movie's opening slide is literally "Some of this actually happened." Amy Adams' charicature makes nonsense.

My guess is he's doing the Cagle Classic: American Hustle Negative Review Accompaniment, and American Hustle Positive Review Accompaniment will come later.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Agreed. Death is certain.

I mean, both movies are getting universally praised so it seems kind of like hating There Will Be Blood because you naturally didn't like Daniel Plainview.

To be clear, I haven't seen either and, yes, comparing them to There Will Be Blood is probably being very generous.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 2, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don't forget the American Hustle Cast As Cicadas Accompaniment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yea they obviously are glorified in those movies, that's a reasonable assumption from someone who obviously saw them both.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea they obviously are glorified in those movies, that's a reasonable assumption from someone who obviously saw them both.

Never mentioned their glorification nor their demonization.
The movie is, in my opinion, a tired retread of the 'power/money corrupts' trope with the least interesting setting possible.
Havent even seen the trailer for hustle so i dunno bout that.

However its not too insane to think someone will take the wrong message from the movies.

ebilflindas
Sep 16, 2013

SHUT UUUUUPPPPP
it's Michelle Obama's bangs all over again

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spiffster posted:

Working at a movie theater allows you to hear people as they leave make comments about the film they just saw. Most of the time they just utter things like "oh god that sucked" or "That was amazing", but when I heard some people admire Leo's character as they left talking about how much of a badass he was pissed me off way too much. :suicide:

Audiences completely missing the point of a movie and walking out with the wrong opinion has been going on since roughly 1936, possibly earlier. Did you honestly think it would stop now?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I just literally came back from seeing American Hustle. The moral was that chasing the empty illusion of greed and wealth or glory too hard will only lead to the destruction of yourself and everything you worked for.

It's pretty slick and funny, but the movie goes out of it's way to show what horrible, broken people the characters are - even the most morally good ones are consumed by greed.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Internet Webguy posted:

I think this guy got Amy Adams confused with Toby Jones.

(disclaimer: Toby Jones owns)

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
It's impossible to make an anti-war movie or an anti-capitalist movie because the villains and violence always end up too likeable. It's almost an inevitably for Hollywood, because nobody wants to watch a movie with unlikeable, unmemorable characters.

People didn't "get" what a broken human being Rambo was because he was such a badass and that stupid cop should've respected are troop.

Scarface was a hypocritical jealous psychopath that got gunned down like a punk and people have literally molded careers around singing about how awesome he was.

Freakin' Martin Scorsece should've known better--Godfather was supposed to be anti capitalist but ended up glorifying the mob.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

visceril posted:

People didn't "get" what a broken human being Rambo was because he was such a badass and that stupid cop should've respected are troop.
Let's be fair, the cop was kind of a massive piece of poo poo in that movie too.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Internet Webguy posted:

MSNBC and Fox are (ostensibly) news networks, while CNN is trying to become a worse VH1?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Internet Webguy posted:

Fox News and CNN think they're serious business, but they're actually still places that people's butts go? I dunno. I got nothing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

visceril posted:

It's impossible to make an anti-war movie or an anti-capitalist movie because the villains and violence always end up too likeable. It's almost an inevitably for Hollywood, because nobody wants to watch a movie with unlikeable, unmemorable characters.

I agree it's probably impossible to do these days, and has been that way for a long time, but I'd argue that at least two anti-war movies have actually been made, one intentionally, one not. Both are from WWI, and were shot during the war itself: The Battle of the Somme, 1916, and J'accuse, 1919.

The former was intended as a propaganda piece, but was realistic enough to horrify British audiences when it premiered; we have numerous accounts of people crying out in shock as troops go over the top and get mowed down, and several cases of audience members fainting. The latter almost rates as a horror film given its use of imagery of dead soldiers returning to haunt/judge the living back at home. Neither was misinterpreted at the time in any way as being pro-war or jingoistic to my knowledge.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

change my name posted:

I did, but 1: it's easy to overlook, and 2: by saying that "there's only one in captivity!" instead of something like, "we've captured the thing", he's implying that there are more nuclear programs anyways.

Also, that type of bedsheet-rope would almost certainly be used to scale down something- unless there was something super heavy or a grappling hook on the other end it wouldn't hold strong enough for anything to climb out.

But, I mean, THE EXHIBIT HAS NO BARS so obviously it's not worth dissecting the thought process here too thoroughly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

visceril posted:

Scarface was a hypocritical jealous psychopath that got gunned down like a punk and people have literally molded careers around singing about how awesome he was.

Freakin' Martin Scorsece should've known better--Godfather was supposed to be anti capitalist but ended up glorifying the mob.

Godfather was Francis Ford Coppola, not Scorsece. And it isn't anti capitalist, capitalism doesn't factor into it in any read I've ever seen. It is a corruption story that people don't follow - they see Michael as someone to emulate, rather than a man falling into evil.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I agree it's probably impossible to do these days, and has been that way for a long time, but I'd argue that at least two anti-war movies have actually been made, one intentionally, one not. Both are from WWI, and were shot during the war itself: The Battle of the Somme, 1916, and J'accuse, 1919.

The former was intended as a propaganda piece, but was realistic enough to horrify British audiences when it premiered; we have numerous accounts of people crying out in shock as troops go over the top and get mowed down, and several cases of audience members fainting. The latter almost rates as a horror film given its use of imagery of dead soldiers returning to haunt/judge the living back at home. Neither was misinterpreted at the time in any way as being pro-war or jingoistic to my knowledge.
Jarhead is anti war, even against the usual way. Since the characters never see any action, there is nothing to emulate.

I also haven't seen Saving Private Ryan used as a pro war film. The action there isn't glorified, it shows what an utter meatgrinder it was for both sides, and it ends up spending a squad's worth of lives for one guy as a pretty bad bargain.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 3, 2014

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Guilty Spork posted:

Fox News and CNN think they're serious business, but they're actually still places that people's butts go? I dunno. I got nothing.

All news networks provide endless streams of poo poo, but only one disposes of it properly, while the others just soil their reputations.

Nah, still a stretch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Modern journalism is poo poo, and MSNBC knows where poo poo belongs.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I haven't actually seen it, but from what I've heard Apocalypse Now is basically about how hellish the Vietnam War was.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

By the way, if people want to watch The Battle of the Somme it is public domain and up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krT1lX_Dvm0

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Internet Webguy posted:

I'm going to guess that Taylor Jones has never seen American Hustle. Amy Adams dresses that way because she's basically a person from a poor background trying to imitate what she thinks a wealthy seductive woman would look like (or, more accurately, what she thinks other people would want wealthy seductive woman to look like). Of course she looks like a '70s Cosmo woman, that's what her character is trying to look like. As for Christian Bale's gut, he's Christian Bale; he gained the weight, he didn't wear a prosthetic. As pointed out, Bradley Cooper's character doesn't think twice (or once) about anything. Finally, the nail polish is a pretty obvious metaphor for the inability to break away from things that you know are bad, and for the idea that the bad aspects may even be what keep you interested (hell, I'm pretty sure this is explicitly stated during the movie).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I haven't actually seen it, but from what I've heard Apocalypse Now is basically about how hellish the Vietnam War was.

Sorry, but Apocalypse Now is about how awesome it is to surf during wartime and to play Wagner when riding your helicopters into combat and how sinister and badass Marlon Brando can be.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nikaer Drekin posted:

The problem isn't that this or that war film aren't brutally honest about how loving horrible war is, it's that generally speaking, no matter how hellish there's some idiot out there who thinks it looks awesome or like a good time. In Apocalypse Now, which I do like and clearly was meant to be about the madness of war (it's Heart of Darkness transplanted from the Congo to Vietnam for christ's sake), that scene in particular would be the airborne attack. You just know some meathead out there is cheering on Robert Duvall and company as they level that village from the air to the strains of Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries." In Saving Private Ryan, I've heard people speak of Tom Hank's squad's heroic-yet-doomed defense of the village in a pining detail, as if the nobility of it somehow validates all that has led to that point (reinforced by the closing scene with the now-aged Ryan visiting the cemetery where his rescuers are buried).

The two I mentioned don't, to my knowledge at least, suffer from this, both as WWI is hard to say anything good about at all (at least from a European perspective) and also as they were made in the early days of cinema where techniques and expectations were very different from today. Modern war films, even if explicitly anti-war in intention, however, have a very hard time with the problem. But this is already long, and de-raily, enough that I'll leave it for now.

Fried Chicken posted:

By the way, if people want to watch The Battle of the Somme it is public domain and up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krT1lX_Dvm0

Anyone interested in war media, the great war, or both, should really watch this. This was one of, if not they, first cinematic exposure Britons had to the war, and the "going over the top" scene in particular shocked the living hell out of them in 1916 (and convinced the government they really should place more controls over what sort of movies got made/released).

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 3, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The two I mentioned don't, to my knowledge at least, suffer from this, both as WWI is hard to say anything good about at all (at least from a European perspective) and also as they were made in the early days of cinema where techniques and expectations were very different from today. Modern war films, even if explicitly anti-war in intention, however, have a very hard time with the problem. But this is already long, and de-raily, enough that I'll leave it for now.

Hey, I did link the right Battle of the Somme, right? Because the one here is different and I want to make sure to see the right one

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Modern journalism is poo poo, and MSNBC knows where poo poo belongs.

I thought it was saying that MSNBC is actually functional.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

visceril posted:

Jurassic Park actually is pretty anti corporate, but that gets drowned down because who wouldn't want to go to an Island Theme Park with real live Dinosaurs?

Also for good Anti-War stuff, Band of Brothers did a really good job in portraying WWII as a terrible Meatgrinder

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
God damnit this is what film criticism is becoming. This past year so many stupid reviews of Wolf of Wall Street, Gatsby, Pain and Gain, Spring Breakers, and others bemoaning "But what if it's m-m-m-misinterpreted?:qq:"

This is what happens when you kill the author but let the audience go.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, I did link the right Battle of the Somme, right? Because the one here is different and I want to make sure to see the right one

That looks to me to be a clip taken from the longer one you first linked, actually. My copy is on VHS and I'd need to dig out something that can actually play it to confirm.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

achillesforever6 posted:

Jurassic Park actually is pretty anti corporate, but that gets drowned down because who wouldn't want to go to an Island Theme Park with real live Dinosaurs?

Also for good Anti-War stuff, Band of Brothers did a really good job in portraying WWII as a terrible Meatgrinder

Plus, they turned John Hammond into a nice old rich man with a dream instead of the hateful old turd who gets eaten by compies at the end because he's a fucker and deserves the most embarrassing death possible.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Feinne posted:

Plus, they turned John Hammond into a nice old rich man with a dream instead of the hateful old turd who gets eaten by compies at the end because he's a fucker and deserves the most embarrassing death possible.
Honestly I liked that change since they basically turned him into Andrew Carnegie, who was not that big of a shithead and also really loved dinosaurs.

However even in his nativity in the movie, you can see criticisms to the corporations since the whole reason the park failed was because he cut corners even as he kept saying they spared no expense.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I liked that change too, because it turned it from "bad guy does bad stuff, bad things happen as a result" into "even though the person that started the thing had good intentions, he went too far chasing his dream and bad poo poo resulted". It's a more nuanced take on things, which is probably not surprising since nobody has ever accused Michael "People who criticize my politics are literally child molesters with small penises" Crichton of being nuanced.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Crichton was a bitter hateful anti-intellectual, so I'm willing to bet in the original novel, you were supposed to hate the little girl too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

rodbeard posted:

Crichton was a bitter hateful anti-intellectual, so I'm willing to bet in the original novel, you were supposed to hate the little girl too.

Not quite, but the book did have a really weird preface that was basically, "there were reports of things happening on this island, but after court cases brought by the Japanese corporate investors all information was locked away."

Seriously, Crichton was so loving scared of the Japanese it's legitimately hilarious.

• Locked thread