Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I'm going to be the weirdest and say that I actually really like the acting of at least Dante and Kat thus far, especially the car scene. I feel like such a maverick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At least Dante doesn't look like white-haired Anthony Kiedis anymore.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

lanzy posted:

At least Dante doesn't look like white-haired Anthony Kiedis anymore.

poo poo dude, it all came back to me when I saw Otherside's music video after a decade or so.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite DMC 3 Dante moment is when he's jumping off the building and sailing through the sky. You can just tell that he's thinking, "Man, I am so cool right now." Then he gets eaten by a sky-whale.

Uh, video is slightly spoilers if this does indeed become a "let's play the whole DMC franchise" thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAFWQNBFwnM&t=122s

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the action and cutscenes in DMC3, but I think the original Dante from DMC is the best iteration. He's got a good mix of serious and funny. In DMC4 he is a little too flippant, plus they keep upping the ante in each game in regards to his superhuman agility and strength, it gets a little too ridiculous.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

See, I always felt that DMC 1 Dante wasn't a good mix of the two. He was serious but just funny enough that I couldn't actually take him seriously. DMC 2 Dante toned down the comic side enough that I could take him seriously, but he wasn't fun anymore. DMC 3 Dante may not be take-serious-able, but at least the game knows it even if he doesn't.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

notZaar posted:

I really liked the action and cutscenes in DMC3, but I think the original Dante from DMC is the best iteration. He's got a good mix of serious and funny. In DMC4 he is a little too flippant, plus they keep upping the ante in each game in regards to his superhuman agility and strength, it gets a little too ridiculous.

Honestly, the big reason for his flippancy in 4 was because he was basically a level 80 guy hanging round a level 30 area. Personally I would have loved to see him face something that's actually a threat to him...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GilliamYaeger posted:

Honestly, the big reason for his flippancy in 4 was because he was basically a level 80 guy hanging round a level 30 area. Personally I would have loved to see him face something that's actually a threat to him...

The impression I get from those cutscenes is that he's just really enjoying himself. I get the distinct impression that he's basically just passing the time. Some people read books, other people watch TV, Dante has poetry duels with demons. His primary goal isn't whatever quest the game has given him; his primary goal is to have fun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
DMC4's story and storytelling was pretty bad in general.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

DMC4's story and storytelling was pretty bad in general.

True. It's Nero's story in the end, and watching Nero do his overwrought scenes with his anime girlfriend will always pale in comparison to Dante screwing around while Trish and Lady argue about money.

vvv: DMC Gaiden

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 3, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

toasterwarrior posted:

True. It's Nero's story in the end, and watching Nero do his overwrought scenes with his anime girlfriend will always pale in comparison to Dante screwing around while Trish and Lady argue about money.

So DMC4 is the "Meanwhile in Danteville" part of Nero's story. The entire game is an aside.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

toasterwarrior posted:

vvv: DMC Gaiden

That was the point. Nero's emo crying and petulant rage were at odds with Dante's laid back attitude and clearly superior skill. He was a foil to Nero on many levels, and it worked very well. In contrast, DmC has no foil whatsoever, and no conflicting characters that can play off of Dante that is remotely enjoyable by anyone.

And complaining about the 'story' in a DMC game is kind of ridiculous. Did you find the story of Doom less than compelling?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

That was the point. Nero's emo crying and petulant rage were at odds with Dante's laid back attitude and clearly superior skill. He was a foil to Nero on many levels, and it worked very well. In contrast, DmC has no foil whatsoever, and no conflicting characters that can play off of Dante that is remotely enjoyable by anyone.

And complaining about the 'story' in a DMC game is kind of ridiculous. Did you find the story of Doom less than compelling?

I agree, but to be fair Doom didn't have a movie's worth of cutscenes.

Sometimes I wish that games like DMC and Bayonetta had an option to just completely turn cutscenes off. It's not that I don't enjoy them, but sometimes I just want it to load up the next part of the level NOW, though I could say this for a lot of games that I replay.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Alacron posted:

Sometimes I wish that games like DMC and Bayonetta had an option to just completely turn cutscenes off. It's not that I don't enjoy them, but sometimes I just want it to load up the next part of the level NOW, though I could say this for a lot of games that I replay.

You can press start to skip cutscenes in most of the games, unless that's too much for you.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I've always considered cutscenes for these games to be more about imparting theme and setting mood more than storytelling. An example is how Bayonetta introduces monsters with a book that, after it names them and slams shut, immediately returns control to you with that enemy attacking. It's not really storytelling so much as setting you up for a recurring theme (that enemies instantly attack you on introduction). It's pure style. Dante's cutscenes when getting devil arms is another example. Every time you get a new item or encounter a boss, you get some setup for it. The best is when the cutscenes even give you a couple clues to enemy behavior. Example: Dante in DMC3 will slice Cerberus' ice cube in half in the cutscene, which is an actual thing you can do. All of this is a setup/payoff structure, and not necessarily for storytelling purposes.

Most of these games usually offer easy cutscene skipping too. Bayonetta lets you skip by holding LT + Start I believe, and I know DMC3/4 ends instantly if you press something. It will even queue up the skip if the cutscene is hiding a level load.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

User0015 posted:

The best is when the cutscenes even give you a couple clues to enemy behavior. Example: Dante in DMC3 will slice Cerberus' ice cube in half in the cutscene, which is an actual thing you can do.

:aaaaa:

I'm the stupidest motherfucker in the world.

On another note, I was still a teen when I played DMC3, but the storytelling didn't seem too bad, at the time at least: it was a lot of fun and Dante had a clear arc where he started as a one type of person and ended up as a different, more mature one with a sense of purpose. I didn't mind Jester, Arkham or Lady and when I'm 90 years old Vergil will still be the coolest character ever. :colbert:

One thing I especially liked in the character design of DMC3 were the faces: None of the characters looked impossible handsome anime people, Dante's/Vergil's noses were actual, real noses that gave a distinct feature to the character, and even though Dante was muscular and athletic as all hell, he had more of a gymnast's body, rather than Soul Calibur-type impossible deformations. Lady didn't even feel sexual, despite her doing whatever poledance moves and prancing around in a mini skirt, and her nose too was a real, actual nose, which separated her from every other heroine out there. Also she had all kinds of cuts and scars in her face and body, showing that her skills weren't perfect and she have had to pay a price for it. The more I think about it, it's actually kind of funny that such an all-out action game as DMC3 had such brilliant detail put on it's characters. It's so distinct but that distinction was made with really small things without any kind of underlining. It's a shame that that kind of character design isn't more common. Already in DMC4 Lady had a huge cleavage and her face and nose belonged now to an impossible hot photoshop woman. With cartoon character's the clothes and coloring are the main ways to differentiate characters from each other, but with 3D models you can do so much more. This is why CGI movies frustrate me a lot.

Also, somehow it feels important that even the superdemons with anime powers can have real life human features. Media affects the world.

Cool LP, gonna be following it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lady's cameo was definitely the worst part of DMC4. "Lets bring back that character from DMC3 but this time, sexy." :hurr:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

You can press start to skip cutscenes in most of the games, unless that's too much for you.

I'm saying, I'd like it if the game wouldn't load them at all because I'm super impatient and I need play nowNowNOW!

So yes, it is too much for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alacron posted:

I'm saying, I'd like it if the game wouldn't load them at all because I'm super impatient and I need play nowNowNOW!

So yes, it is too much for me.

The worst part is when the menu to skip the cutscene takes longer to load than it takes for the cutscene to play, though that could just be because I have the lovely PS3 version.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I personally don't know how people can skip cutscenes and still consider themselves fans of a game. And I'm not talking like you skipped one or two here and there. I'm talking about the crowd who skips all of them and just does the gameplay. I see this a lot in my preferred type of game (JRPG) and it mystifies me. How can you call yourself a Star Ocean 3 fan when you ignore most of the game? What? You think the cutscenes and story are poo poo? Well you'd be right and that in turn means it is a poo poo game. You can't just ignore half of a book because it's bad and say you are a fan of that book because it's untrue.

But then again, I favor story in a game over everything else. Hell, I even liked Resident Evil 4 for its story. Now there was a game and a hero who clearly were written to be a joke and yet succeeded. Leon had awful, awful dialog but it was great because it was like Mikami was riffing on the previous RE games which always tried to be "serious" in spite of how ludicrous they were. The result was Leon Kennedy being a wonderfully done parody.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Story is a nice buffer for a lot of games but it's by no means crucial in others. Having an auto-skip toggle doesn't sound like too tall of an order, though seriously, it's one or two buttons, suck it up princess

And Star Ocean 3 had problems that went way beyond its story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh you don't have to tell me that. SO3 is my most hated video game ever. I'd rather play FFVIII, FFXIII and Infinite Undiscovery all back to back than touch it again.

But believe me, it is a very popular game and that is definitely due to the combat system.

But if you prefer, replace Till the End of Time with some other game with a "good battle system" and a dumb but clearly meant to be important story. I just picked an example out of a hat. I just don't know how you can like a game when you are literally ignoring a huge chunk of that game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Even if you've already seen the cutscene? There's nothing wrong with skipping cut scenes, especially if you've already seen it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I personally don't know how people can skip cutscenes and still consider themselves fans of a game. And I'm not talking like you skipped one or two here and there. I'm talking about the crowd who skips all of them and just does the gameplay. I see this a lot in my preferred type of game (JRPG) and it mystifies me. How can you call yourself a Star Ocean 3 fan when you ignore most of the game? What? You think the cutscenes and story are poo poo? Well you'd be right and that in turn means it is a poo poo game. You can't just ignore half of a book because it's bad and say you are a fan of that book because it's untrue.

But then again, I favor story in a game over everything else. Hell, I even liked Resident Evil 4 for its story. Now there was a game and a hero who clearly were written to be a joke and yet succeeded. Leon had awful, awful dialog but it was great because it was like Mikami was riffing on the previous RE games which always tried to be "serious" in spite of how ludicrous they were. The result was Leon Kennedy being a wonderfully done parody.

Again, I'm not talking about skipping all cutscenes all the time, but when I'm replaying a level for the 40th time trying to get an S-Rank I start to feel every second. Much as I may enjoy a game's story or a particular cutscene, I don't need to see it every time I replay.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

At least with the case of Bayonetta, the game is using the cutscene to load the next area.

So no, you can't get away from them. :unsmigghh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

yoshesque posted:

At least with the case of Bayonetta, the game is using the cutscene to load the next area.

So no, you can't get away from them. :unsmigghh:

Same thing with DmC :unsmigghh:
Also, nice avatar :)

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

ManOfTheYear posted:

Lady didn't even feel sexual, despite her doing whatever poledance moves and prancing around in a mini skirt

Best thing about Lady's skirt is that it's actually a tartan ammo/utility belt. It's stylish and functional!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

NikkolasKing posted:

I personally don't know how people can skip cutscenes and still consider themselves fans of a game.

For some people, good gameplay can outweigh a bad story, so even if you don't like the story portion, you can still enjoy the game, especially when the story sections you don't like are basically optional. For a lot of people, the most important part of most games is the gameplay, so if that's fun, the rest may as well not matter if you can skip it, though sure a good story can turn a good game into a great game. I don't think you really need to love every part of a game to consider yourself a fan of it. I guess you could say you're a fan of the gameplay, but that doesn't really seem like an important distinction to me.

Also SO3 is a great game with a decent story as far as JRPGs go :colbert:.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wind God Sety posted:

Also SO3 is a great game with a decent story as far as JRPGs go :colbert:.

I warmed up to the twist because they do a lot of world-building afterwards to fit it in and make it work. Like having people talk about their characters, holding tournaments and in general going in-depth about how the Eternal Sphere fits with their society.

DATA SHOULD BEHAVE AS SUCH! is one of my favourite boss quotes. Ditto with Ethereal Queen's (SPOILERS A TRI-ACE GAME HAS ETHEREAL QUEEN AS AN OPTIONAL BOSS!) Celestial Star incantation.
Fayt Leingod is an amazing name too :allears:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I still reckon that one of the party members should have been involved in the twist (and I'm sure you can guess how). It would have been hilarious if that kid you meet when you first cross over was Abel Nox, for instance.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I really am trying with the Lp and I'm willing to give the game a go when its free.

The thing i still can't wrap my head around is all the different angles that people go to defend older dantes.

Saying everyone in dmc3 reacted to him a negative way?
Weren't there literally 3 people in the entire game?
Like I get the idea and what the point is saying, but two of the three want him dead and the third is doing the lone wolf thing herself.

This one is bad, but the other 3 weren't benchmarks in creative character creation either. That doesn't make this one more good but using examples like osts and such as to why this game is bad?
Every song in Dmc3 (the best one all round) felt identical outside of a boss or two thats actually the one part of dmc3 that I don't think it deserves praise for at all.

While this games certainly far from perfect, it was too clear at once when the idea of this being a reboot came around that not one fan of the DMC franchise wanted anything besides DMC4-2 or DMC3-2

I am entirely fine with fans unhappy because the combat isn't as depthy. that was what made DMC a franchise. As far as entire games go
3D Ninja Gaidens do Difficulty
bayonetta has the package deal
DMC line did combat system.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 4, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

User0015 posted:

The personal arc of the Cyberdemon ending with a giant explosion of blood and rockets brought a tear to my eye :smith:

I dunno man, DmC's story being rear end didn't really help out my impression of the game even if it's not what you play a character-action game for, and it'd be unfair if I don't judge the older games the same way. For the record, I did enjoy DMC3's story the best out of all them since they kept the cast lean and did a lot more showing than telling when it came to cool poo poo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

I really am trying with the Lp and I'm willing to give the game a go when its free.

The thing i still can't wrap my head around is all the different angles that people go to defend older dantes.

Saying everyone in dmc3 reacted to him a negative way?
Weren't there literally 3 people in the entire game?
Like I get the idea and what the point is saying, but two of the three want him dead and the third is doing the lone wolf thing herself.
Not just the people. The universe thinks Dante is a dork.

How many main characters have that mix of cockiness, dorkiness, humour, style and competence? It's pretty unique, and it works.

One of my favorite scenes is when a random mook steps on his pizza after he kills a room full of them. It's so petty it's hilarious.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2014

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

toasterwarrior posted:

The personal arc of the Cyberdemon ending with a giant explosion of blood and rockets brought a tear to my eye :smith:

I dunno, if you think about it Doom actually has a pretty loving badass story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

I warmed up to the twist because they do a lot of world-building afterwards to fit it in and make it work. Like having people talk about their characters, holding tournaments and in general going in-depth about how the Eternal Sphere fits with their society.

DATA SHOULD BEHAVE AS SUCH! is one of my favourite boss quotes. Ditto with Ethereal Queen's (SPOILERS A TRI-ACE GAME HAS ETHEREAL QUEEN AS AN OPTIONAL BOSS!) Celestial Star incantation.
Fayt Leingod is an amazing name too :allears:

The twist is not the game's problem. Well, it is a problem for the franchise, if you liked SO1 and 2. But for just SO3 in particular, the problem lies in the fact the first disk is here <---------- and the second is here --------->. None of the poo poo you did on Elicoor means anything as far as the real plot of the game is concerned and yet you are there for what, twenty hours or so?. Meeting a random clone of your girlfriend who is melodramatically dying contributed nothing. Building that Symbological superweapon did nothing. I have never encountered such a disconnect in a story ever because it's like everything in the first half of the game is from another game entirely but they threw out that script at one point and started over again with the odd choice of just merging the two scripts as clumsily as possible.

But maybe we should discuss this in the RPG thread and not here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wind God Sety posted:

For some people, good gameplay can outweigh a bad story, so even if you don't like the story portion, you can still enjoy the game, especially when the story sections you don't like are basically optional. For a lot of people, the most important part of most games is the gameplay, so if that's fun, the rest may as well not matter if you can skip it, though sure a good story can turn a good game into a great game. I don't think you really need to love every part of a game to consider yourself a fan of it. I guess you could say you're a fan of the gameplay, but that doesn't really seem like an important distinction to me.

I wish I could just emptyquote this. Gameplay is always the most important thing for me.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think RE5 and DMC4 prove pretty well that just having good gameplay isn't enough. Both of those games were technically superior to their predecessors in graphics and gameplay, yet they are overall not as good and will not be remembered as fondly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

notZaar posted:

I think RE5 and DMC4 prove pretty well that just having good gameplay isn't enough. Both of those games were technically superior to their predecessors in graphics and gameplay, yet they are overall not as good and will not be remembered as fondly.

Level design is a critical part of the gameplay and both RE5 and DMC4 fall short to their predecessor in that aspect.

Also DMC4's boss fights were overall worse than DMC3.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Level design is a critical part of the gameplay and both RE5 and DMC4 fall short to their predecessor in that aspect.

This is true. Combat is just one aspect of gameplay: RE4 has just as lovely story as any other game out there, but the level desing, pacing, weapons system, loot, puzzles, bosses and the excellent mercenaries mode make it a great game, not just the tight combat. The time when the game appeared affects too: RE4 introduced QTEs to many people - including me - even though it wasn't a brand new thing, and in DMC4 the puzzles were already maybe a bit of a drag, but in DMC3 people didn't mind them as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Somewhat true: you may have ended up fighting the three main demons thrice in DMC4, but they were well-designed and Dante and Nero's playstyles helped differentiate them. DMC3 had a lot more bosses, but I felt that Cerberus and Geryon were unfairly brutal, and that flying centipede and holy poo poo Arkham are terribly boring (and an insane letdown from Arkham).

The duels with Vergil remain the crown jewels of the character-action genre, and it's a shame that the nearest equivalent in DMC4 is only fought once.

• Locked thread