Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
For $80 I'd try it out.

I wasn't going to bring housings into the mix, but the problem with a PnS housing is that models change year after year. So a case you buy this year may not be compatible 2 years later for newer models.

I bought a $$$$ ikelite housing for my canon PnS. 3 years later my camera clonked out and since canon stopped producing the model I'm now stuck with an overpriced ikelite housing. Housings are best left for DSLRs since the models are more constant year to year.

Durette posted:

I use the wrist mount for scuba and it works great. Just bring it up to eye level and fire. I also use the 30-per-second setting which makes sure I get what I'm looking at even if I'm bobbing around a little. Another option is to just let it roll in video mode and pick out single frames later.

I've found that the GoPro with a light on it works better underwater than on land thanks to the water filtering. Or at least doesn't need post-editing like you get from snow or really bright sunshine.
Yeah, I was planning to get a few filters but I'll probably need to post edit anyway.

For steady shots and video I place the gopro on my puckered lips and look at where I want to shoot. Sure I look stupid, but the framing is great. This guy has a few more good tips.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Bangkero posted:

For $80 I'd try it out.

I wouldn't try a gopro knock off. I haven't heard anything but poor reviews of them. A buddy bought one for his rock crawler and he shook the thing loose by engine vibrations alone. I really think gopros, while not having the specific features you may want, really are the best in that category and this falls under the old saying "buy cheap buy twice".

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Crunkjuice posted:

I wouldn't try a gopro knock off. I haven't heard anything but poor reviews of them. A buddy bought one for his rock crawler and he shook the thing loose by engine vibrations alone. I really think gopros, while not having the specific features you may want, really are the best in that category and this falls under the old saying "buy cheap buy twice".
Seriously read all the posts before posting. We've all agreed that a GoPro is the best option but Grover does not want to drop cash on it. Give him an option in the ~100 price range. We've already discussed housings and adventure cameras.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Well, the housing is waterproof to 90 feet and that is pretty shallow. Isn't that like 27 meters? I've already been deeper than that and I started diving in March.

Sure, it's so cheap that I might buy it for whatever.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I'm a spoiled tropical reef diver, and most of my diving is rather shallow; I've only ever once exceeded 80' (when I dove the Cormoran/Tokai Maru in Guam). I wouldn't mind leaving it behind on the odd dive I exceed the depth rating (or if it's cheap enough, just risking it), and, pragmatically, there wouldn't be enough light that deep to get good photos anyhow.

If I go with that offbrand gopro I'd probably end up using more for motorsports than diving, but I'd be just as happy with a plain 'ole underwater still camera. I do appreciate all the input. I know I'd get better photos if I got an underwater DSLR and a good set of lights and all, BUT, priorities :)

grover fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 6, 2014

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

Well, the housing is waterproof to 90 feet and that is pretty shallow. Isn't that like 27 meters? I've already been deeper than that and I started diving in March.

Sure, it's so cheap that I might buy it for whatever.

Best light is in shallow water anyway and unless there's something deep (like a wreck) you're better off staying shallow and diving for longer.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Unimpressed posted:

Best light is in shallow water anyway and unless there's something deep (like a wreck) you're better off staying shallow and diving for longer.

its true, if you go deeper you need strobes and a better camera. Look at the difference in my pictures in this thread for proof.

Grover: you are basically looking for snorkeling, so just buy one of the bags and call it a day.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
The best and cheapest advice is not to take your own pictures underwater and just dive with somebody that has a camera rig ;)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

True that, apart from the savings, you'll probably end up with some pics of yourself to boot.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Bishop posted:

The best and cheapest advice is not to take your own pictures underwater and just dive with somebody that has a camera rig ;)

Speaking of which, I think it's time to tell everyone about my Maldives trip.

It was amazing. Easily the best diving I've ever done, though since I doubled my total number of dives on the trip that doesn't say too much. The boat (Carpe Vita) was great, I would recommend it to anyone wanting to go to Maldives to do a liveaboard. It was five full and two partial days of dives. I missed a few dives do to ear pain, but got almost all of the good ones. The dive staff and boat crew were all great, and the accommodations and food were very good.

The itinerary was N. Male, N. Ari, S. Ari, Vaavu, and S. Male. During some times of the year (roughly feb through march) they take longer trips south the cross the equator, if I were to go again (and I'm considering it) I would book one of those trips.

Most dives were in between 50 and 100 feet of water, durations from 45 to 65 minutes. I had some trouble with this, being inexperienced I could only get 60+ minutes on stationary dives, even using a HP119 tank. Almost everyone on the boat dove Nitrox, and some of those who didn't got the cert on the trip. This was my first time diving Nitrox and I love it and will probably dive it whenever available, dive conditions permitting. Water temperature was 84 on the surface, and between 82 and 84 at depth.

About half the dives I did were drift dives (and most of the ones I missed as well). One was blue water (looking for hammerheads, though we didn't see any), this was my first blue water dive and I really enjoyed it. A few were stationary dives at cleaning stations or ridges. Two were night dives. The first night dive was for Mantas and we got to see the come incredibly close. The second night dive was at a reef at a resort that baits them every night, so there were dozens of nurse sharks and many stingrays. There was a whole day devoted to finding whale sharks, we managed to find one and after two false starts got a thirty minute snorkel with one before jumping on the dive boat and gearing up to dive with it, only to have it leave.

Now for the pictures. I didn't take these. They're all from someone else who was on the same trip as me, he was kind enough to share them and I think they do an amazing job showing the kinds of things we saw.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/notini/sets/72157638772667225/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notini/sets/72157638773239144/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notini/sets/72157638772484043/

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bangkero posted:

Seriously read all the posts before posting. We've all agreed that a GoPro is the best option but Grover does not want to drop cash on it. Give him an option in the ~100 price range. We've already discussed housings and adventure cameras.

Have you had any experience with any gopro knockoffs? Because I have. I'll say it again, they aren't worth the money. They aren't, " less expensive than a gopro but good", they are "bad products 90% of the time". Anyone Ive ever seen buying one for extreme sports has eventually bought a gopro. I'm just sharing this experience and trying to save a diver some cash in the long run.

This hobby is crazy expensive as is, trips are expensive, and were arguing over 200 bucks for a camera. Jesus.

Instead of a knockoff get an older generation gopro that will still be better than the knockoff. That's my recommendation in the 100 dollar range.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Crunkjuice posted:

Have you had any experience with any gopro knockoffs? Because I have. I'll say it again, they aren't worth the money. They aren't, " less expensive than a gopro but good", they are "bad products 90% of the time". Anyone Ive ever seen buying one for extreme sports has eventually bought a gopro. I'm just sharing this experience and trying to save a diver some cash in the long run.

This hobby is crazy expensive as is, trips are expensive, and were arguing over 200 bucks for a camera. Jesus.

Instead of a knockoff get an older generation gopro that will still be better than the knockoff. That's my recommendation in the 100 dollar range.
For fucks sake seriously stop being a jackass diver nazi and read all the posts. Grover wants an LCD as well so GoPros are out of the question. He has also already done the cost analysis of a GoPro. PnS waterproof cameras are no more reliable than a knockoff - why drop $200 for one? By all means he can try score a second hand GoPro with LCD system (good luck finding it for $100!).

I've given my recommendation already - For Grover's shallow water purposes and for $100 I'd rather buy a good waterproof pouch for a smartphone than a cheap UW system (housings and knockoffs).

e: It bugs the poo poo out of me when nazi divers fall back on the "this hobby is expensive!". No loving poo poo but not all the expensive gear is glitter and gold. Just browse the GoPro forums, Wetpixel forums, or scubaboard forums and see the handful of divers who have complained about the housing failing. Many people work with a price range choose the best option out of that. I'd rather spend $80 and try this out than another $400 waterproof PnS camera - both will eventually fail. There are plenty of cheaper products out there that will work and are worth trying.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 5, 2014

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

You know it's possible to disagree and or ignore someone's advice right? I gave mine and my reasoning. Pretty simple right their chief. I'm not going to further poo poo the thread up proving you wrong.

In other news, I had a drysuit failure today. Buddies fins clipped my wrist seal and knicked it. They were old anyways but they blew at 70 feet and I had a partial flood. 52 degree water. Woof. I needed zip seals anyways.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Crunkjuice posted:

You know it's possible to disagree and or ignore someone's advice right? I gave mine and my reasoning. Pretty simple right their chief. I'm not going to further poo poo the thread up proving you wrong.

In other news, I had a drysuit failure today. Buddies fins clipped my wrist seal and knicked it. They were old anyways but they blew at 70 feet and I had a partial flood. 52 degree water. Woof. I needed zip seals anyways.
You're way past making GBS threads up the thread since you suck at reading comprehension. We are in agreement with each other but your advice is irrelevant to what was asked and already addressed. Read. Pretty simple right there chief.

You should probably stop riding your dive buddy's rear end if he was close enough to kick you.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Speaking of gopro, went to buy a new pair of fins for the swimming pool and saw that Sony made a gopro imitation camera. The stand, promotional video and technical details screamed of "I'm just as good, I promise!", which added to the awkwardness of it; but what was really surprising was the price, it wasn't cheaper enough to be competing in the price. I suspect Sony is trying to attract customers with their own brand name, but I don't think they have sold many.

That 80€ camera has a few good reviews on the Amazon and it's just about the right entry level price, I will order one but I won't be diving before March since northern Italy is way too cold in this time of the year. Where do you fix a camera when diving? On the head? I'd hate to have to hold it all the time.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Cippalippus posted:

That 80€ camera has a few good reviews on the Amazon and it's just about the right entry level price. Where do you fix a camera when diving? On the head? I'd hate to have to hold it all the time.

You can fix it to your head or wrist, the problem is with the head alot of divers loose it and don't even realize it till after it is long gone. I use a 4 foot pole so I can get closer and in holes to check things out. Honestly the pole is nice because I am focused on that and I use my hands and arms less.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bangkero posted:

You're way past making GBS threads up the thread since you suck at reading comprehension. We are in agreement with each other but your advice is irrelevant to what was asked and already addressed. Read. Pretty simple right there chief.

You should probably stop riding your dive buddy's rear end if he was close enough to kick you.

Ah yes, next time I finish teaching a specialty class in 4 foot visibility with students in drysuits I'll make sure to stay out of visual range of them! Thanks for the teaching insight, I'm sure it comes from loads of experience.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Gindack posted:

You can fix it to your head or wrist, the problem is with the head alot of divers loose it and don't even realize it till after it is long gone. I use a 4 foot pole so I can get closer and in holes to check things out. Honestly the pole is nice because I am focused on that and I use my hands and arms less.
I had someone on the same dive boat lose his gopro that way. He was very upset. After that incident I've always got my gopro on a lanyard, even when attached to my pole or handle bars.

Cippalippus posted:

Speaking of gopro, went to buy a new pair of fins for the swimming pool and saw that Sony made a gopro imitation camera. The stand, promotional video and technical details screamed of "I'm just as good, I promise!", which added to the awkwardness of it; but what was really surprising was the price, it wasn't cheaper enough to be competing in the price. I suspect Sony is trying to attract customers with their own brand name, but I don't think they have sold many.

That 80€ camera has a few good reviews on the Amazon and it's just about the right entry level price, I will order one but I won't be diving before March since northern Italy is way too cold in this time of the year. Where do you fix a camera when diving? On the head? I'd hate to have to hold it all the time.
You can get a camara tray to help with stability or many people like the pole. I use this pole and people on scubaboard and wetpixel say good things about this pole. I've got my eyes set on this tray but there are plenty of cheap trays out there that will work well.

e: here's a scubaboard thread that may give you some ideas: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/413004-show-me-your-mount.html. If you don't want to hold it all the time, yes you can get a head strap, but as Gindack mentions just beware since it may fall off without you noticing. So a lanyard is a good idea. Some even have a mount attached to their mask (see the SB thread because there's an example of one in there). If you do have it mounted on your head, just be aware that the video may be a bit spazzy if you're looking all over the place.

Crunkjuice posted:

Ah yes, next time I finish teaching a specialty class in 4 foot visibility with students in drysuits I'll make sure to stay out of visual range of them! Thanks for the teaching insight, I'm sure it comes from loads of experience.
Not out of visibility, out of their kicking range. To be honest, I really don't give a poo poo what you do, you're an idiot for staying in his kicking zone. Pretty simple right there chief. Loads of experience. Enough not to think in absolutes. Get on my level, scrub.

e: seriously, not interested in getting in a pissing contest with you. I really don't give a poo poo about your diving experiences and how you dive.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 6, 2014

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

Where do you fix a camera when diving? On the head? I'd hate to have to hold it all the time.

I just hold mine in my right (dominant) hand, with an optional torch in my left. Also have both secured by lanyard and flexible attachment to my BCD. I find that holding something in my hand has helped me reduce my non-necessary motion by a very large degree and has actually improved my control and air consumption.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
What good is a pissing contest underwater anyway? Although with a drysuit flood in 52F it would definitely feel nice. I did my AOW in 5mm wetsuit, with hood and gloves, and it was 42F on the deep dive. I would have appreciated some natural warmth.

And when you're lake diving in lovely visibility, unless you're holding hands, your buddy kicking you in the head is the only way to know they are still around.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We dove with a guy in Bimini that made a pretty sweet GoPro mount. The base was 3/4" PVC with sand in it to make it neutral, and its main substance was two of these p traps:

Plus a bit of 3/4" pipe. It held the GoPro perfectly and he strapped a light on next to the GoPro. Really, it was a good setup for not much money.

e: to make one, you use two of those traps with a small connecer and caps on both ends, fill the bottom one with sand, then cement them all together and you get an awesome hand grip gopro mount

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 6, 2014

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Bangkero posted:

I had someone on the same dive boat lose his gopro that way. He was very upset. After that incident I've always got my gopro on a lanyard, even when attached to my pole or handle bars.

I bought my wife the Octomask, built in housing. There is basically no way it can fall off. (http://www.amazon.com/Diving-Scuba-Mask-GoPro-Mount/dp/B00B57PHTQ). Drawback being you are pretty much limited to things you can get right up against and you have to make a decision about how to have it aimed. Using it to peer into cracks or smaller spaces is a lot more difficult, but it was nice that she had her hands free and didn't have to the struggle gripping a rock with one hand and trying to manipulate the camera with the other in our current\drift dives.

They do make poles and attachments that add buoyancy, so if it does fall off or something happens, it will go up, rather than down.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

xxEightxx posted:

I bought my wife the Octomask, built in housing. There is basically no way it can fall off. (http://www.amazon.com/Diving-Scuba-Mask-GoPro-Mount/dp/B00B57PHTQ). Drawback being you are pretty much limited to things you can get right up against and you have to make a decision about how to have it aimed. Using it to peer into cracks or smaller spaces is a lot more difficult, but it was nice that she had her hands free and didn't have to the struggle gripping a rock with one hand and trying to manipulate the camera with the other in our current\drift dives.

They do make poles and attachments that add buoyancy, so if it does fall off or something happens, it will go up, rather than down.
That's pretty cool and a good solution for handsfree GoPro usage. I did a quick search and saw they also have a frameless single lens version as well so there are options. You can even mount the GoPro the other way with the extended arms and take selfies.

All this GoPro talk has made me stoked for my Philippines dive trip next month. I've ordered my GoPro rig with torch mounts so I'm excited to test it out once it arrives.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
So I am working on finalizing the gear that I own and I wanted to ask you guys what do you think I should get next; currently I own.

BCD
Regulator
Computer
Mask/Fins(Split)/Snorkel
Booties
3mm Shorty
SMB
Small Dive light
GoPro and Accessories
EMT Shears

Is there something I am forgetting that I should make sure I have? Also Miflex hoses, worth it or not? The next big things I am considering are either tanks or a Farmer John Style wetsuit.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Even with primarily tropic diving, a 3mm shorty wasn't enough for us. If you're looking for what to upgrade, I'd say a full length wetsuit, but I don't know your dive temps.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

Even with primarily tropic diving, a 3mm shorty wasn't enough for us. If you're looking for what to upgrade, I'd say a full length wetsuit, but I don't know your dive temps.

Hes in austin, so a wide variety of temps. 60-90 depending on time of year. If your local diving a lot tanks are worth it. Other than that dive a lot and get as much experience as possible.

Oh, a primary dive light is probably next on your list. Miflex hoses are awesome, especially the high pressure hose. Definitely worth it IMO.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 9, 2014

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Does your computer have a compass? If not, get one. I never thought I would need one until I did a non-drift dive and my dive buddy was navigating.

(SPOILER: He didn't know how to navigate)

A good dive bag for your gear is also pretty nice. I use the standard dive shop one that folds up into a small square for travel.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just got back from diving the liberty wreck at Tulumben. Goddamn that was depressing. So much dead and dying coral compared to 2 years ago. The school of Jacks is gone, probably not coming back.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, I didn't think about dive bags. That's a good recommendation. Here's one I can personally vouch for, especially as I ended up shelving my original choice for this one:

http://www.aqualung.com/th/content/view/321

Here's a video review that shows off a few of the things I love about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZziSUFxreKI

Absolutely great for travel diving.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
I did not even think of a dive bag, last trip I just stuck my gear in my clothes bag and when it was time to actually dive I just clipped everything to my BCD and walked around wearing that. And my computer does not have a compass so that is something I should also get.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

You're welcome!

Other random crap I've accumulated over the years because I have more money than common sense:

Slap strap for your mask

A good pair of diving gloves for lake/river dives (the first time you cut your hand on a broken bottle, you will know why)

shore/"boat" fins (ie not the kind that go with boots. for snorkeling)

Small, waterproof case for $/keys/driver's licence

Waterproof dive log cover (STAMPS! GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!)

BC hanger

Second stage hanger

Custom mold mouthpiece

Underarmor running hat (dries easy, balls up small, great for the boat)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Anyone have a link to that site that was advertising dive watches but when you bought It, you actually got the next iteration?

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm a little intimidated by the advanced scuba certification.

If I'm understanding correctly, it looks like you study it entirely on your own (the underwater navigation, deep diving, etc) and then you demonstrate these skills on the day of your exam without having met in person.

I'm the type of person who does great on written tests about aquatic safety, but I usually need to practice the actual procedures a couple of times before I can do it with ease and speed. I'm a great swimmer, but I'm just concerned about needing a practice run before the practical exam.

To make matters more complex, the scuba shop where I'm getting my certification does not have a pool or anything where I could practice. There's a local scuba shop which does have a pool, and I think I might be able to rent a BCD and such to practice, but I've been warned that they might make things difficult for me if they realize I'm getting my cert from the other shop. Apparently there's really nasty drama between the two shop owners, and an employee warned me that sometimes they try to take each other's customers. I'm not getting my advanced cert from the shop-with-pool because, frankly, I was not impressed with their management when I got my beginner's cert from them--they lost several important documents, including a medical clearance that I had turned in weeks in advance, and some of my written tests.

How do other divers prepare for the practical part of the advanced cert?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Are you talking about the advanced open water? If so, it's very different to what you describe, at least in Australia. For my cert, everything was done in the course, and no previous training (apart from having an open water cert and doing the online theoretical training) was required. It was seriously easy and quite fun too. There's absolutely nothing to be intimidated of.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Posting this again:

A friend of mine really wants to dive North Carolina this summer and do some of the wrecks.

It sounds like a lot of fun, but I want to make sure I'm prepared. I have my SSI OW cert but only 8 dives to date. I'll do a few more in Monterrey in the next month (assuming it's not too cold).

It looks like the fun dives in NC are all below 100ft, but that there are a few around 60ft. Im content to stick with the shallower stuff, but Im sure my friend will want to do the U-boat. I don't think she has anything more than an OW cert, but has done a lot more diving than me.

Am I going to be able to do anything exciting in NC or should I shell out for a wreck diving course. Or at least just do a bunch more dives before taking the trip?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

legsarerequired posted:

If I'm understanding correctly, it looks like you study it entirely on your own (the underwater navigation, deep diving, etc) and then you demonstrate these skills on the day of your exam without having met in person.

I'm the type of person who does great on written tests about aquatic safety, but I usually need to practice the actual procedures a couple of times before I can do it with ease and speed. I'm a great swimmer, but I'm just concerned about needing a practice run before the practical exam.

To make matters more complex, the scuba shop where I'm getting my certification does not have a pool or anything where I could practice. There's a local scuba shop which does have a pool, and I think I might be able to rent a BCD and such to practice, but I've been warned that they might make things difficult for me if they realize I'm getting my cert from the other shop. Apparently there's really nasty drama between the two shop owners, and an employee warned me that sometimes they try to take each other's customers. I'm not getting my advanced cert from the shop-with-pool because, frankly, I was not impressed with their management when I got my beginner's cert from them--they lost several important documents, including a medical clearance that I had turned in weeks in advance, and some of my written tests.

Are you talking about a PADI Advanced Open Water? If so then that's not really how it's run - the emphasis is not really on 'skills' per se that you would practise in a pool (except for perhaps refining your buoyancy skills). It's more about exposing you to different diving environments - i.e going deep. or diving at night with an instructor to teach you different procedures.It's really nothing to be intimidated by at all - it's not 'advanced' in any way really.

If you still feel that you need to brush up in a pool with some open water skills or you're nervous, maybe ask them about doing a scuba refresher class, where you'll go with a divemaster or instructor to the pool to practise a bit, and get your water confidence up. Then go out for a couple of shallow reef dives with them. Most shops have a dive club which (depending on area) will run shore dives run by a DM or instructor.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Quote is not edit.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

So on Navigation what we did before we got in water was navigate with the compass on land with a towel over our heads. Set a heading walk 30 paces turn 90 degrees and repeat until you make a square, hopefully you end up where you started. Once we got in water they had us measure our kick cycles on a 100 foot piece of rope turn around and repeat. After that we basically just did another square under water with the DM/instructor.

Also I completely botched the underwater stuff on the first go, the DM got us back on track and we just did it over again. All in all the instructors are not in the business of failing students or not helping them. Just let them know your concerns and ask them how they run the class and if you don't like what you are hearing shop around for another instructor.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

legsarerequired posted:

Can you afford to just do some dives with your instructor? Just to go out and practice the stuff you're worried about. Talk to them and ask, really.
But yeah for my AoW I just pitched up and did it. It was in rarotonga though so it was pretty much a joke technically. They weren't into failing people, let's put it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just to put a bit more emphasis on this whole AOW is fun and easy thing. Firstly, if you did your OW, then AOW will be way easier. You're not dealing with a foreign environment, you're not really doing much responding to problems stuff, instead you're doing some buoyancy work like diving through hoops at different levels, navigation stuff which is super easy, deep diving, which is really just diving deep (i.e. no need to do anything other than just go deep). Beyond that you do two more proficiencies, like boat diving (diving off a boat, yeah that simple), or naturalist (just normal diving and then identifying sea life you saw during the dive.
The AOW course is meant by PADI to be done almost immediately after your OW, that's why the PADI dive logbook you get with the OW is structured the way it is.

Secondly, PADI courses aren't really about you having to prove you can do a skill to the instructor, where if you don't do it you fail. It's more about the instructor teaching you a skill, you doing it, and if it's not right, being shown how to correct it and doing it again.

The only way people "fail" a course like this is if they have a problem completing it, like not being able to do all the dives for whatever reason (mental, physical).

So yeah, like others have said here, talk to your LDS and then go do it. It opens up things for you in terms of sites you can dive, and if you do it while you're fairly new to diving, you gain a lot from the buoyancy proficiency.

Have fun!